If Jalen Adams plays anywhere near this level all year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

If Jalen Adams plays anywhere near this level all year

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
One of the reasons why I thought Daniel Hamilton left, was that he would develop better under a NBA coaching staff or a D-League coaching staff. I think he realized he would not develop as a player by staying at UConn under Ollie.

So if Adams comes to this realization too, with a good season he might be gone regardless of his defensive woes and ability to take care of the ball. Oh and by the way, most of the passes he makes are caught by players with hands, just not our guys.

Reaction Score
No one arguing that JA can't be successful in NBA. Play at UConn for four years, develop the weaker areas of his game and add maturity. Four years than the NBA.

That's not how the world of sports works any more and it hasn't for quite some time.

High level NBA prospects do not stay 4 years.

If Jalen is NBA ready he will leave and he would be stupid not to. Will he? Who knows? We're only 5 games in. But if he is staying here four years it's pretty likely he has very little NBA chances.

Reaction Score
The guys touting his height - that's undersized for a 2 guard in the NBA.

If you think he's playing PG in the NBA after putting up big scoring numbers in games when they were down 20 and vs a DII school you are mistaken.

Steph Curry was a 2 guard until his final college season. What you said doesn't really matter (or even make sense).

Reaction Score
One of the reasons why I thought Daniel Hamilton left, was that he would develop better under a NBA coaching staff or a D-League coaching staff. I think he realized he would not develop as a player by staying at UConn under Ollie.

So if Adams comes to this realization too, with a good season he might be gone regardless of his defensive woes and ability to take care of the ball. Oh and by the way, most of the passes he makes are caught by players with hands, just not our guys.

Big difference between being a guard under Ollie and a three/four hybrid like Hamilton was.

As for all the people in this thread trying to highlight why he's not an NBA point guard...that's not how the draft works. I have to imagine anybody who was in Maui liked what they saw, whether he's completely polished or not. If Terry Rozier can go mid-first round I don't see why Adams doesn't have a chance to make a roster. Rozier is a better athlete, but Adams is probably further along from a skill standpoint than Rozier was at he same age.

Unfortunately for us, he turns 21 in December. It would make sense for him to come out after this season.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Not saying he doesn't leave or doesn't get drafted but someone please post his turnover numbers. What's his assist to turnover ratio? 9 turnovers in a half in the NBA and he would never have the opportunity to score 30 in the second half.

Current stats are 19/5/5 and 3.5 TOs

If it stays like that, that's nba numbers

Reaction Score
I could have sworn he was in the D League - looks like I was wrong.

Point being, Adams isn't 1 10th the player Napier is and most people were surprised he got a guaranteed deal with Portland.
Adams has more potential than Bazz but it is hard to believe that he will be as good a shooter. We'll have to wait on that one. Jalen gets the edge on getting to the rim. Neither is great on D but I'd give the edge to Adams because he is definitely more athletic.

Reaction Score
There are many Nba players who were not as good as Shabazz in college but it means nothing. Jalen has more prototypical characteristics of an Nba pg in terms of size athletiscm speed and length.

He's now going to have the ball in his hands. IMHO if he had it in his hands the same way as Maui we beat both Wagner and NE.

We are going to need to rely on Jalen who has some obvious flaw he must work on starting on the D. but if this kid can plow through the defense the way he did it to very good teams in Oregon and Okst in any similar way-- no way he isn't a top 20 pick

Reaction Score
Adams has more potential than Bazz but it is hard to believe that he will be as good a shooter. We'll have to wait on that one. Jalen gets the edge on getting to the rim. Neither is great on D but I'd give the edge to Adams because he is definitely more athletic.

And 3" taller.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
A PG having a lot of TOS in college don't scare NBA GMs away. He can be a high draft pick. He's long, athletic, and can create one on one. His defense might not be the best but he can make plays and it can get better. He's ahead of Kemba and Shabazz at this point in his career but it's too be expected because he is the most physically gifted out of them. Seems to be just as tough as them too.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I don't know if this has been brought up, but where was Maui Jalen when we played Wagner and Northeastern? Cause they're completely different players. Which is the more typical Jalen we can expect to see the rest of the season?

I think after Larrier went down, some part of Jalen's mind finally clicked that the team needs him to be a star, and that's what we see for the rest of the season.

Reaction Score
I don't know if this has been brought up, but where was Maui Jalen when we played Wagner and Northeastern? Cause they're completely different players. Which is the more typical Jalen we can expect to see the rest of the season?

I think after Larrier went down, some part of Jalen's mind finally clicked that the team needs him to be a star, and that's what we see for the rest of the season.

First 2 games, I think we saw the Jalen that in his mind needed to prove to the team and staff he could be the PG needed. He didn't attack often and instead tried to get everyone involved - well as we fond it's not him. The best of Jalen is attack first and if cut off or stopped then find people. He is much better as the player we saw the last 4 1/2 halves, not saying they will all be as good as the streak he was on.

Having said that he will need to be a PG at the next level and will need to improve his playmaking abilities which he fell short on so far. Fully capable and they do draft on potential so this can go either way but we can't worry about that now there's too much else on our minds at this point.

Reaction Score

I think that's true. Remember that the team is relatively inexperienced besides Purvis, Brimah and Facey, and all 3 of those players have their faults. It always takes time for guys to learn their roles and play them well. Adams unfortunately was thrust into a situation that he quickly adapted to out of need. I just hope he doesn't try to do too much. There's a fine line between trying to do too much and getting your teammates involved. Kemba mastered that beautifully his junior year.

Reaction Score
The guys touting his height - that's undersized for a 2 guard in the NBA.

If you think he's playing PG in the NBA after putting up big scoring numbers in games when they were down 20 and vs a DII school you are mistaken.

Adam's is clearly a point guard.

He's a little careless and out of control. But he's actually a floor general, he sees the court well, and has good balance (that can almost lean towards pass first when he isn't being aggressive) between passing and scoring. I do not understand this insistence that he's not.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If you put Adams in an organized offense and with players that can catch his passes, his turnovers go way down.

Half of this team's turnovers are created by the pure chaos derived from lack of offensive sets.

Reaction Score
Jalen is absolutely oozing with talent and promise. Even with his awesome start to the season, he still has lots that need to be worked on before he's ready to go pro. He has the opportunity to progress over this year and next on both sides of the ball to the point where he can be a lottery pick. He's got two inches on both Kemba and Shabazz, he has more complete skills and ball sense than Boatright. If he plays his cards right he can follow the same progression path here that Kemba and Shabazz did to succeed at the next level since he has the tools and height necessary to fill the 1/2 spot in the NBA. At 6'3 he's "undersized" at the 2 spot by only one inch as compared to the average height of a drafted 2. With the ability to develop PG skills, that one inch deficit is easily made up for. The average NBA PG drafted is roughly 6'1. And as noted above NBA GMs are not at all turned off by guys at the 1 spot staying in school longer since developing as a PG requires time, practice, and experience (something the NBA schedule doesn't afford) as opposed to 3-4-5 guys whose positional development isn't nearly as predicated on those things.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A PG having a lot of TOS in college don't scare NBA GMs away. He can be a high draft pick. He's long, athletic, and can create one on one. His defense might not be the best but he can make plays and it can get better. He's ahead of Kemba and Shabazz at this point in his career but it's too be expected because he is the most physically gifted out of them. Seems to be just as tough as them too.

I've loved Jalen more than just about anyone, even past year, but Kemba and Shabazz had a culture-defining attitude. Jalen is definitely the toughest, most high intensity guy on this team, but it's way too soon to compare that swagger to 2 guys that basically willed us to national titles.

Reaction Score
Shabazz or Kemba wouldn't win NCs with this roster. That's comical.

I've loved Jalen more than just about anyone, even past year, but Kemba and Shabazz had a culture-defining attitude. Jalen is definitely the toughest, most high intensity guy on this team, but it's way too soon to compare that swagger to 2 guys that basically willed us to national titles.

Reaction Score
That's not how the world of sports works any more and it hasn't for quite some time.

If Jalen is NBA ready he will leave and he would be stupid not to. Will he? Who knows? We're only 5 games in. But if he is staying here four years it's pretty likely he has very little NBA chances.[/QUOTE

So Daniel Hamilton and DeAndre Daniels were high level prospects? 2ND round picks and toiling in obscuriy in some NOT-NBA league. JA needs to be reminded of them. Stay for 4 years.

Reaction Score
He had 3 good games (1 of which was vs. a D2 opponent) and the other 2 we were trailing by 20. He's a solid scorer but he can only go right and score with his right, and he turns the ball over too frequently. The people that blame his turnovers on his cast need to watch the games closer. Jalen is talented but he is nowhere near ready for the NBA. He was getting the ball stripped and getting rejected going to the hoop by CHAMINDAE! Minimum 3 year player if he wants to end up in the NBA.

Reaction Score

Those two were not ready for the NBA and knew it. Ollie has said as much in interviews but they made their own decisions. Hamilton didn't like college and deandre knew he was reaching his ceiling in terms of draft potential coming off the championship run.

They had limitations that will always keep them out of the league. Both were not athletic enough for the league. Both were in the bottom few in terms of vertical and lane ability in the combine.

I repeat: the vast majority of high level NBA prospects do not stay 4 years. IF Jalen is ready after this year, if the feedback from scouts says he could go in the lottery, he would be stupid not to declare for the draft.

I am unclear what is so shocking and insulting about this statement. It's pretty obvious to me.

Edit: meant to reply to @TouchdownHusky

Reaction Score
He had 3 good games (1 of which was vs. a D2 opponent) and the other 2 we were trailing by 20. He's a solid scorer but he can only go right and score with his right, and he turns the ball over too frequently. The people that blame his turnovers on his cast need to watch the games closer. Jalen is talented but he is nowhere near ready for the NBA. He was getting the ball stripped and getting rejected going to the hoop by CHAMINDAE! Minimum 3 year player if he wants to end up in the NBA.

Agree with most but he does go left well at least with the dribble drive. Problem would be he only finishes with his right. Having said that he's really good with his body and using his long arms to be creative with his right, almost as effective as using the left. He can squeeze it in before the blocker gets there so he doesn't really need a left, wish he had one but with him and Kemba alike, no need. I think he will be a 3 year guy because he will need it but we have to admit if for some strange reason he continues at this last 3 game pace in which he showed his jumper to be effective it will be very tough to keep him here.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

If Jalen is NBA ready he will leave and he would be stupid not to. Will he? Who knows? We're only 5 games in. But if he is staying here four years it's pretty likely he has very little NBA chances.

Guys still stay 4 years and go lottery. Just not that often. Last few years you have Buddy Hield, Tauren prince, Denzel valentine, and Frank Kaminski, Doug McDermott, Adreian Payne... That's after a quick look

But obviously, if scouts say he's going in the lottery, then he should jump. That's a no brainer.

Jalen's still got a long way to go before he's a lottery lock.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And this is the actual point some of us are making but others are missing

No doubt. It would be crazy to think he can keep up his numbers from the last 3.5 games.

What will decide this is where the equilibrium balances out. If it's closer to last year, he stays. If it balances at 17/5/3 on good shooting splits, or somewhere close to Napier numbers... we've seen the last of him.

I'm still banking on one more year of the kid. It will be tough to adjust when EVERY defender has his eyes on him for an entire conference schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom