If Jalen Adams plays anywhere near this level all year | Page 5 | The Boneyard

If Jalen Adams plays anywhere near this level all year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is an extremely pre mature thread. The only way I see Uconn having a great season now is based on us reformulating a game plan on fundamental D--we need to stop people--and letting Jalen Adams basically see if he can Kemba Walker us(although Ithink hes a year from that)

Reaction Score
Are you looking at the stats? Because this is incorrect.
He shot 67% in Nov/Dec, 44% in January, 23% in February, and 73% in March. Not sure how he didn't improve at the end of the year.

Reaction Score
He shot 67% in Nov/Dec, 44% in January, 23% in February, and 73% in March. Not sure how he didn't improve at the end of the year.

Are you really doing this?

Really?

March again is a small sample. He shot 7-7, 3-6, 4-4, 2-5. And this was coming off a January and February in which, as you pointed out, he shot a 23% and 44%. This doesn't show any real improvement in his sophomore season. In fact, the second 2/3rds of the season (20 games) he shot 51%. That's pretty bad.

Reaction Score
FT Shooting is not even a big deal when you aren't even good at drawing fouls, i mean the guy goes to the line once a game on average for his career ( 2.5 FTA). he isn't in dysons class as far as 'shake' or penetration ( dyson was taking 6.5 FTA a game his last year in a more physical styled league/era with less calls).

Reaction Score
Are you really doing this?

Really?

March again is a small sample. He shot 7-7, 3-6, 4-4, 2-5. And this was coming off a January and February in which, as you pointed out, he shot a 23% and 44%. This doesn't show any real improvement in his sophomore season. In fact, the second 2/3rds of the season (20 games) he shot 51%. That's pretty bad.
March was not a small sample, it was actually the 2nd biggest sample. You literally cannot even get basic stuff correct.

Going from 44% and 23% to 73% is "not showing any real improvement"? LOL. Using the last 2 thirds of the season as "evidence" of no late season improvement? LOOOOOOOOOOOL.

Reaction Score
In his one season with Uconn Majok averaged 2.3 points, 3 rebounds, 1.6 blocks in 14 minutes while picking up 2 personal fouls. He was a great athlete but he was not a good basketball player. His turnover to assist ratio was negative 4 to 1 - that is 4 turnovers for every assist. I can't remember a game he played where he was not called for traveling.

Our guys don't travel because they can't do anything with the ball. And TO's, well if you aren't scared shi**ess every tie Facey or Brimah have the ball anywhere then you haven't watched much. My bad to think that Majok would have been much better as a frosh as say AB as a senior. But he would've been a very good player if he were to stay 4 years, how much better I don't know but he already was twice as physical as a frosh as what we have now, played with a chip and I believe would have eventually been intimidating.

Point is we aren't too good in the middle and no one is showing up at the door anytime soon, so we need Steve and Durham to get it soon. And then we need to recruit or have a present land in our laps soon!

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="mauconnfan, post: 1915839, member: 489" My bad to think that Majok would have been much better as a frosh as say AB as a senior. But he would've been a very good player if he were to stay 4 years, how much better I don't know but he already was twice as physical as a frosh as what we have now, played with a chip and I believe would have eventually been intimidating.[/QUOTE]

Forget about his senior year, AB in his freshman year played about the same minutes as Majok and was better in every single category. You can look it up. Although I will give Majok the advantage in the "chip on shoulder" category based on your say so. As to what he might have been; well we know that Amida has improved every season, I guess you'd have to go to China to see if the same can be said of AM.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="mauconnfan, post: 1915839, member: 489" My bad to think that Majok would have been much better as a frosh as say AB as a senior. But he would've been a very good player if he were to stay 4 years, how much better I don't know but he already was twice as physical as a frosh as what we have now, played with a chip and I believe would have eventually been intimidating.

Forget about his senior year, AB in his freshman year played about the same minutes as Majok and was better in every single category. You can look it up. Although I will give Majok the advantage in the "chip on shoulder" category based on your say so. As to what he might have been; well we know that Amida has improved every season, I guess you'd have to go to China to see if the same can be said of AM.[/QUOTE]

Could care less about Majok - he was a joke
But you think AB has improved year by year?????????????????

Reaction Score
How did I miss this ridiculous thread. Jalen isn't close to being ready for the next level.

Reaction Score
But you think AB has improved year by year?????????????????

Basically, yes. As a rebounder his numbers (per 40 minutes) have gone up every single year. Historically he had the normal sophomore jump in all his stats but then regressed in many offensive stats due to injury and resulting lack of playing time last year, but most of his per minute stats don't show that decline. This year he is down somewhat offensively, mostly as a result of no longer being on the end of D. Hamilton's lob passes, but his ability to create offense on his own down low has greatly increased. All in all I would say he has improved in every season -- this does not make him either an all-american or unique, most good players improve every season, it's a big issue when they don't.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="mauconnfan, post: 1915839, member: 489" My bad to think that Majok would have been much better as a frosh as say AB as a senior. But he would've been a very good player if he were to stay 4 years, how much better I don't know but he already was twice as physical as a frosh as what we have now, played with a chip and I believe would have eventually been intimidating.

Forget about his senior year, AB in his freshman year played about the same minutes as Majok and was better in every single category. You can look it up. Although I will give Majok the advantage in the "chip on shoulder" category based on your say so. As to what he might have been; well we know that Amida has improved every season, I guess you'd have to go to China to see if the same can be said of AM.[/QUOTE]

Ok he improved every year. LOL

This year he has, but not so much last, but if you say so Onions. He had 9 and 4 last night against BU, all 6'5-6'6 kids. Please, he shows signs then he's gone. Rebounds were going by his hands and he's being thrown around like test dummy against that team, I saw it first hand. Obviously one pure assumption on my part but what I saw from Majok and the small sampling he he would've been much better by year 4, not close. That traveled a lot when he first got here too so things like that get better with kids understanding the game. I mean the Lakers drafted the kid they also thought he was going to be pretty good well before his 4th year. AB showed some signs in a couple games then he goes right back to who he is. The inconsistency is crazy for an athlete of his kind.

Having said that by no means is last night on him as he was one of the better performers amazingly enough as was Facey. But knowing that and seeing the outcome is all we need to know.

Reaction Score
Ok he improved every year. LOL

This year he has, but not so much last, but if you say so Onions. He had 9 and 4 last night against BU, all 6'5-6'6 kids. Please, he shows signs then he's gone. Rebounds were going by his hands and he's being thrown around like test dummy against that team, I saw it first hand. Obviously one pure assumption on my part but what I saw from Majok and the small sampling he he would've been much better by year 4, not close. That traveled a lot when he first got here too so things like that get better with kids understanding the game. I mean the Lakers drafted the kid they also thought he was going to be pretty good well before his 4th year. AB showed some signs in a couple games then he goes right back to who he is. The inconsistency is crazy for an athlete of his kind.

Having said that by no means is last night on him as he was one of the better performers amazingly enough as was Facey. But knowing that and seeing the outcome is all we need to know.

Well now that you're writing in all caps I guess I should agree with you. And I do - AB was terrible for most of the night and yet he was still one of the better Huskies.

But two things - first, I don't say he's improved every year, the stat sheet does. Second - when talking about Majok you sound like every NFL fan talking up the back-up quarterback on a bad team. It's easy to extol the virtues you imagine for someone when you don't have to put it to the reality test. You think Majok would have been better - fine, I can't prove you wrong. Of course there is not a shred of evidence that you're right either. But I choose to champion a player who has stayed here for all 4 years, played as hard as he could, never complained and never caused the slightest trouble or embarrassment for his team or Uconn. But hey, that's just me. Oh, and by the way he helped us win a ring, but I guess Majok would have won two.

Reaction Score
Well now that you're writing in all caps I guess I should agree with you. And I do - AB was terrible for most of the night and yet he was still one of the better Huskies.

But two things - first, I don't say he's improved every year, the stat sheet does. Second - when talking about Majok you sound like every NFL fan talking up the back-up quarterback on a bad team. It's easy to extol the virtues you imagine for someone when you don't have to put it to the reality test. You think Majok would have been better - fine, I can't prove you wrong. Of course there is not a shred of evidence that you're right either. But I choose to champion a player who has stayed here for all 4 years, played as hard as he could, never complained and never caused the slightest trouble or embarrassment for his team or Uconn. But hey, that's just me. Oh, and by the way he helped us win a ring, but I guess Majok would have won two.
FYI: THIS IS ALL CAPS

This is not

Reaction Score
How did I miss this ridiculous thread. Jalen isn't close to being ready for the next level.
Indeed. I saw this thread a few days ago and thought, yeah, possible, wouldn't that suck.

Couldn't watch the game last night, but saw the score and checked the box. 3-15

I guess that was a bit premature, eh ?

Reaction Score

Never said anything about him winning 2 now did I? Doesn't mean he couldn't have been individually better and I certainly can't prove I would have been correct, call it a crystal ball thought. Just liked the size, physical ability and if you remember some of the finishes and flashes of ability just feel like there was going to a nice player there. and the "caps" which there were none of - explanation is somehow when I hit reply your message wasn't in quote and when I hit "post" it looks like all the same post as it ran together with same script and everything so I just used bold for mine. I was not screaming at you I promise, I respect your opinion you do make plenty of sense to me. I am trying to see AB as a new guy this year, but seeing the same weaknesses come back after a couple promising games is so frustrating.

Reaction Score
Dyson was up and down. And he forever kept both teams in the game. IMO, Rodney is a poor Man's Dyson.

Reaction Score
Stats don't always tell the whole story, but in this case, they clearly show that Dyson was the more productive player across the board, and had a larger role on his teams.

Dyson averaged more points, rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks in his career despite playing alongside more talented rosters.

Rodney is the superior 3-point shooter. Dyson was better everywhere else, especially with the ball in his hands. Dyson was a great slasher, never tallying fewer than 100 FTA in a season. Rodney has never eclipsed that mark. Dyson's 28.1 AST% as a senior is nearly double Purvis' career high (14.6% last year).

Sure, Dyson's FG% is lower and TOs higher, but that can largely be attributed to the fact that his usage rate was substantially higher. Dyson was often the man on his teams, whereas Purvis has been limited to a more complementary role because he lacks the handle/playmaking ability to be a go-to guy.

Frankly, this really isn't much of a debate. The "eye test" already made it obvious enough that Dyson was the more talented player, but the stats just further demonstrate that he was a more well-rounded, productive player than Purvis.

By all accounts Rodney is a great guy, and has been a good ambassador for our program. But he just flat out is not as good as Dyson was.

Not sure why you were still arguing this. Of course a player is going to accumulate more ppg when he has a much higher usage rate, but that doesn't excuse such poor %'s and the amount of TO's. The only real differences in their skillsets are that Purvis is a better shooter, and both are good penetrators, but Dyson is a better finisher than Purvis. Dyson having an assist % advantage was purely due to being on much more talented teams in 08-09 than anything Purvis has ever been a part of.

Also not going to give Dyson credit for ball hogging on that 2010 team. He clearly should have taken a back seat on that team the way Purvis has on this team. Absolutely no need for somebody that inefficient to be chucking to the level that Dyson did, especially in 2010.

Reaction Score
March was not a small sample, it was actually the 2nd biggest sample. You literally cannot even get basic stuff correct.

Going from 44% and 23% to 73% is "not showing any real improvement"? LOL. Using the last 2 thirds of the season as "evidence" of no late season improvement? LOOOOOOOOOOOL.

You are loopier than hell.

It's pathetic how you took a teeny March sample as evidence of his improvement.

4 games.

This is not much of a sample at all: 7-7, 3-6, 4-4, 2-5

Whereas 20 games is a better sample.

Jeez, you're basing this on 4 games?

Reaction Score

My moniker is ALL CAPS and no one agrees with me here thank the good lord. Mau accentuated in bold the fact AB was just a test dummy on the boards for BU (lol).

Reaction Score
You are loopier than hell.

It's pathetic how you took a teeny March sample as evidence of his improvement.

4 games.

This is not much of a sample at all: 7-7, 3-6, 4-4, 2-5

Whereas 20 games is a better sample.

Jeez, you're basing this on 4 games?
Well the March sample is 8 games, not 4, but number of games isn't the sample size anyway, the number of free throws is the sample size. Again, basic stuff you're not grasping.

The fact that Rodney made large FT shooting improvements in March each of the last 2 years only to regress at the start of the next year seems to be another basic thing you can't grasp.

Reaction Score
Well the March sample is 8 games, not 4, but number of games isn't the sample size anyway, the number of free throws is the sample size. Again, basic stuff you're not grasping.

The fact that Rodney made large FT shooting improvements in March each of the last 2 years only to regress at the start of the next year seems to be another basic thing you can't grasp.

Sample size is teeny. He shot FTs in 4 games in March. Heck, you remove the one 7/7 game, and there is no improvement his sophomore year.

All I said is that this year is too young to tell if he regressed. I didn't say he hasn't regressed. That was my point in the beginning. He hasn't shot enough free throws yet.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Adams doesn't bring it every game. I'm not getting on the bandwagon until he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom