If Gilbert misses a game or two... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

If Gilbert misses a game or two...

Reaction Score
Were we going to win this game anyways? We lost at home by 12. At least get Sid and B. Adams minutes if gilby can’t play. If he’s good to go, go for the win.

Oof. If you had any aspirations at all to ever be a coach of any team ever, please relinquish them from your mind.

Reaction Score
Let’s get Brendan Adams some more run and see what he can do. Kid’s gotta play to grow.
If AG is out, he should automatically get more minutes. He becomes the first guard off the bench when Vital/Smith or Adams comes out.

Reaction Score
Smith will start and Brendan Adams will back up the guards. No way is Wilson playing the 3 with Polley at the 4. We could have two black holes on the court at once on offense and that wouldn't work on the way Hurley runs the offense. He likes to keep the ball moving and having the 3 guards out there works best to do that.

I'm just glad we have more guard depth this time unlike last year once Gilbert got hurt and we only had A. Anderson to start every game.

Reaction Score
Since he has only played in 13 games and 187 total minutes yes he is just a freshman on the court. Not sure what being a 4 star has to do with anything.
A kid who is ranked that high should have better basic skills coming in to college it would seem. Where is Sid's shooting skill? Not asking for Seth Curry mind you. Shouldn't a player of that ranking know what to do with the ball without being overwhelmed when he gets it? Poor handle. He can jump. He's gifted physically and we expect he will improve over time in the other areas but I expected better with that kind of rating. Guess I'm alone.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think it will be Smith or maybe Sid. What I'd like to see is Polley at the 3, and Diarra at the 4. Especially against UCF. I don't know how much Hurley trust's Diarra's health, but he's an ideal player for this matchup. Go big against them. It's something they have never seen from us.

And while KO did it all year least year, I think it's a boneheaded move to start 3 guards when you really only have 3 guards. There is no way any of those guys can defend the way we need them to if they are all playing too many minutes. Brendan Adams can get some minutes, and will need to guard Dawkins. A big chunk of UCFs points come from their two guards, defending them will take a lot of effort.

Reaction Score
I think it will be Smith or maybe Sid. What I'd like to see is Polley at the 3, and Diarra at the 4. Especially against UCF. I don't know how much Hurley trust's Diarra's health, but he's an ideal player for this matchup. Go big against them. It's something they have never seen from us.

And while KO did it all year least year, I think it's a boneheaded move to start 3 guards when you really only have 3 guards. There is no way any of those guys can defend the way we need them to if they are all playing too many minutes. Brendan Adams can get some minutes, and will need to guard Dawkins. A big chunk of UCFs points come from their two guards, defending them will take a lot of effort.
Bad Idea! That would mean Polley would have to guard either Dawkins(most likely) or Allen. Do you really want to see Polley guarding Dawkins? Total mismatch with foot speed. I think having Diarra playing PF is a great idea as long as you keep the 3 guards out there for offense. Polley doesn't have the offensive(no handle) or defensive skill-set to play the 3 in college. Like you said playing 3 guards with only 3 is bad but this year we have 4 even with the injury so I don't see an issue with it. The guards even with AG out is still the strength of the team so there is no reason to weaken it in our lineups.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Bad Idea! That would mean Polley would have to guard either Dawkins(most likely) or Allen. Do you really want to see Polley guarding Dawkins? Total mismatch with foot speed. I think having Diarra playing PF is a great idea as long as you keep the 3 guards out there for offense. Polley doesn't have the offensive(no handle) or defensive skill-set to play the 3 in college. Like you said playing 3 guards with only 3 is bad but this year we have 4 even with the injury so I don't see an issue with it. The guards even with AG out is still the strength of the team so there is no reason to weaken it in our lineups.

Dawkins is a SG so would be guarded by CV and Smith. Polley just locked down McDuffie last game. His D is pretty solid at this point. Meanswhile mismatches work both ways. The three guard offense needs to go away as soon as we can make it go away.

Reaction Score
Dawkins is a SG so would be guarded by CV and Smith. Polley just locked down McDuffie last game. His D is pretty solid at this point. Meanswhile mismatches work both ways. The three guard offense needs to go away as soon as we can make it go away.
He might be listed as a SG but he plays in a 3 guard offense. Either way Polley on a guard is always a bad match-up. Polley is still very inconsistent. Our best lineup is the 3 guards with Polley at the 4 and Carlton at the 5.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
He might be listed as a SG but he plays in a 3 guard offense. Either way Polley on a guard is always a bad match-up. Polley is still very inconsistent. Our best lineup is the 3 guards with Polley at the 4 and Carlton at the 5.

Dawkins is 6'6". He is almost certainly going to be guarded by Polley, Sid and B Adams no matter who we start at the 3. He's too big for CV, Smith or JA, who will need to guard Taylor and Allen. So Starting Diarra gives us some change to not get killed by the twin towers inside.

Memphis just clobbered UCF. They can be beaten.

Reaction Score
start kwitin for jump ball, immediately call TO following possession and sit him back in the 2nd row for the game. insert sid.

Reaction Score
Dawkins is 6'6". He is almost certainly going to be guarded by Polley, Sid and B Adams no matter who we start at the 3. He's too big for CV, Smith or JA, who will need to guard Taylor and Allen. So Starting Diarra gives us some change to not get killed by the twin towers inside.

Memphis just clobbered UCF. They can be beaten.
Not going to happen with Polley at the 3. Not sure why you are so hung up on a big lineup like that when we haven't played that all year. Diarra will play the 4 with Carlton if healthy at times but it will be to sub Polley. We are going to play the with the 3 guards and B. Adams backing them up.

Reaction Score
A kid who is ranked that high should have better basic skills coming in to college it would seem. Where is Sid's shooting skill? Not asking for Seth Curry mind you. Shouldn't a player of that ranking know what to do with the ball without being overwhelmed when he gets it? Poor handle. He can jump. He's gifted physically and we expect he will improve over time in the other areas but I expected better with that kind of rating. Guess I'm alone.

Sid actually has ball handling skills much better than he has shown. He is playing with no confidence and worried about being taken out as soon as he gets in. It is concerning that he doesn’t look comfortable. The shooting, he definitely needs to get much better at and possibly change his entire shot because he’s shooting a line drive.
I think hurley should bring him in the game earlier than 12 minutes left in the first half to give him a boost.

Reaction Score
I agree . Sid seems like he’s all off kilt and rushing to get buckets when hurley puts him in. He’s taken some horribly rushed shots last few games. I like Sid and love his blocks and how he flies all around the floor but thought we d see him be a little smoother offensively by now. Maybe Hurley puts him in by 15-16 minute tv TO.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Because the situation has changed. We have one fewer guard and one more power forward than we had before. Playing a three guard lineup when you only have three guards is dumb.

There are people who think Hurley somehow wants to always play three guards. I don’t think so. I think he’s done it here and at URI because that’s all he had to work with. I think the three guard lineup will be rare next year, except late in games when we have a lead. And with Diarra heathy, it will be less common the rest of this year as well. Sid at the 4 is over.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Because the situation has changed. We have one fewer guard and one more power forward than we had before. Playing a three guard lineup when you only have three guards is dumb.

There are people who think Hurley somehow wants to always play three guards. I don’t think so. I think he’s done it here and at URI because that’s all he had to work with. I think the three guard lineup will be rare next year, except late in games when we have a lead. And with Diarra heathy, it will be less common the rest of this year as well. Sid at the 4 is over.
I think we play 3 guards because our 3 best players are guards.

Reaction Score

Diarra isn't healthy and Polley is not a college 3. We still have 4 guards in the line-up so expect to see mostly 3 guard line-ups. He isn't going to handicap the offense and defense(Polley can't cover 3's) just to go big. Diarra I agree when fully healthy will see time at the 4.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Diarra isn't healthy and Polley is not a college 3. We still have 4 guards in the line-up so expect to see mostly 3 guard line-ups. He isn't going to handicap the offense and defense(Polley can't cover 3's) just to go big. Diarra I agree when fully healthy will see time at the 4.

There is no perfect answer. Curious to see what Dan does. My guess is he will try several lineups to see what works.

Polley drew the assignment to defend 6' 8" McDuffie, who scores from outside, against WSU. Dawkins is 6'6" and is a little quicker perhaps. But he will shoot right over any of our guards and did last game. If we trusted B Adams or Sid on D, they'd be the best choices.

Given that UCF starts Tacko plus a 6'10" guy at the 4, it wouldn't surprise me if we went big and moved Polley to the 3 at times to guard Dawkins. At a minimum, I think we will see Sid at the 3 and Polley at the 4. This is not the team to play small ball against.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Speaking of Kwintin, on the radio show, DH said he was suspended. Any idea what for and is he done for the year?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom