If Gilbert is out for the year again... | Page 12 | The Boneyard

If Gilbert is out for the year again...

Reaction Score
Agreed. Will help with foul issues at a minimum. But once Cobb can play a bit more, I really would like to see us run a more traditional lineup out there on occasion. Larrier at SF with Diarra+ Cobb or Diarra + Carlton. Mix in Polley as well. Work on getting the ball down low. I think those guys can do something with it.

I agree I don't think the small lineup has been effective. Would love to see a shot go up with more than one Husky, getting blocked out by 3 guys, fighting for a rebound while the other 4 stand around the three point line. How many threes or deep jumpers did we miss so far this year where we had no chance for a put back or an offensive board? Diarra and Cobb/Carlton can do this.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
That could be. But there's a reason he deleted that facebook post.

Also, if I were Alterique, I would not want my medical stuff discussed like this.

Oz keeps posting and deleting. It's lame look.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
If AG undergoes surgery again, then he MUST recover and MUST be our starting PG next year, because there is no alternative that leaves us a viable basketball team. If Jalen leaves, we have only Akinjo at point and whatever freshman or grad-level point that KO can dig up next spring. I say, "next spring" because KO has no scholarship available until Jalen announces. Even if he knows a 5-star PG dying to commit to UConn right now, how can he make the offer? And the worse of it is that without AG, and without AG's scholarship, we will have exactly three true guards next year no matter what happens. Wilson and Matthews are not true guards, even if you make the large assumption that they are prime-time ready. A recovered AG is absolutely our only hope for next year short of Jalen returning, and even with Jalen returning, a recovered AG is our only hope to have four guards..

You just make and the offer no matter what. So many moving parts on a roster that a scholarship is bound to open up somewhere. Kids leaving for the pros or transferring. No speculation, just reality.

Respectfully, you do know that we are already committed to 14 scholarships next year, don't you? Shall we commit to a 15th? We have already given Larrier no choice. Do we now give Jalen no choice?

It happens all the time all over the country. Coaches just say a kid is transferring or going pro, even if they aren't sure.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I agree I don't think the small lineup has been effective. Would love to see a shot go up with more than one Husky, getting blocked out by 3 guys, fighting for a rebound while the other 4 stand around the three point line. How many threes or deep jumpers did we miss so far this year where we had no chance for a put back or an offensive board? Diarra and Cobb/Carlton can do this.

Only 1 of them is in the game at a time. Diarra seems to be the only one with a true nose for the ball. Carlton may get there. But most of the time we only have one guy crashing because only one guy can. Why risk run outs if the likelihood of pulling a board is that low? That said, I wouldnt mind seeing Larrier sent in with Diarra at strategic times. He seems to be able to pull a few down. But we have to be careful.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Agreed. Will help with foul issues at a minimum. But once Cobb can play a bit more, I really would like to see us run a more traditional lineup out there on occasion. Larrier at SF with Diarra+ Cobb or Diarra + Carlton. Mix in Polley as well. Work on getting the ball down low. I think those guys can do something with it.

Well, you are going to see that because it appears they won't have a choice.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Why do I feel like the only person in the world who performs sports surgeries is Dr James Andrews? It seems damn near every athlete goes to him for at least a second opinion before doing anything.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I wonder if Gilbert gets pushed out of the program now. Not that I want to see that happen but I get this feeling that he won't be a part of the program much longer.

Zero chance. He'll get his college paid for, whether through sports scholarship or some finagling. As he should.

It would be an awful look to do otherwise, never mind a compete dick move to the kid.

Reaction Score
Zero chance. He'll get his college paid for, whether through sports scholarship or some finagling.

It would be an awful look to do otherwise, never mind a compete dick move to the kid.

Once the kid gives up the right to play again, the school can give him a scholarship for whatever reason and it doesn't count against the 13 scholarship limit. The football program has done this from time to time for folks whose career ends early.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Well, you are going to see that because it appears they won't have a choice.

He was over-using it anyway. When Gilbert was in, you could argue it was reasonable to play it some of the time. Now? We are seeing Jalen, Vital and Anderson much too often. When you only have three, they shouldn't be on he court together very often. Maybe late for FT purposes, although Jalen stinks from the line this year.

We really need Polley to step up. This team needs a ball handling 6'4-6'6" wing who can shoot from 3. You don't play three guards when you have those guys.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
This news regarding AG's injury officially starts the coaching search.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I’m all for replacing Ollie if he doesn’t show major consistent improvement the rest of the season. But to imply that Gilbert injuring his shoulder should officially start the coaching search is nothing short of stupid

His implication is that it's gonna be a negative impact on the season, another middling result, and therefore, Ollie would be gone. Not that KO is responsible for playing an injured kid or something like that.

I don't agree with him, mainly because of the buyout, but it is what it is.

Reaction Score
His implication is that it's gonna be a negative impact on the season, another middling result, and therefore, Ollie would be gone. Not that KO is responsible for playing an injured kid or something like that.

I don't agree with him, mainly because of the buyout, but it is what it is.
He said the news officially starts the coaching search. What you said isn’t as inflammable though I still disagree because I think we have enough if things go right to make the tourney. But I can understand why someone might think losing rique is the death blow. If @BUConn10 meant what you said he meant then he should eloquate his points better

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I’m all for replacing Ollie if he doesn’t show major consistent improvement the rest of the season. But to imply that Gilbert injuring his shoulder should officially start the coaching search is nothing short of stupid
Not that Ollie is responsible for AG and his injury, but because without AG and the already poor state of affairs, Ollie doesn't really have the time or weapons now necessary to make up the lost ground from the last few seasons. We will finish below KO's hot seat threshold this year.

Reaction Score
Not that Ollie is responsible for AG and his injury, but because without AG and the already poor state of affairs, Ollie doesn't really have the time or weapons now necessary to make up the lost ground from the last few seasons. We will finish below KO's hot seat threshold this year.
Ok I apologize, I misunderstood you. Though I disagree with your point still, it isn’t without reason

August_West

Reaction Score

Jimmy the Greek over here ^^^

Reaction Score
This news regarding AG's injury officially starts the coaching search.
I'd hope that the preliminary stages of that had already begun. Would be near professional malpractice by AD David Benedict if he hasn't at least been preparing for the possibility.

Reaction Score
I'd hope that the preliminary stages of that had already begun. Would be near professional malpractice by AD David Benedict if he hasn't at least been preparing for the possibility.

AD's do that even with coaches who they want to keep forever. You never know when your coach is going to have a heart attack, or leave for a better job.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Really? I find him to be miserably insufferable.
I actually went back and forth about which to make the adjective and which the adverb. I decided that the effect on me was more that his being miserable was something I no longer want to suffer; rather than me being miserable because I no longer want to suffer him.

August_West

Reaction Score
I actually went back and forth about which to make the adjective and which the adverb. I decided that the effect on me was more that his being miserable was something I no longer want to suffer; rather than me being miserable because I no longer want to suffer him.

You sir are a wordsmith

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom