If Dawn is unhappy now Albany almost SOLD OUT | Page 2 | The Boneyard

If Dawn is unhappy now Albany almost SOLD OUT

Reaction Score
Glad to see South Carolina be a hotbed of interest for women's basketball. The attendance leadership is tempered by some financial facts. Family 4-pack of season tickets is $100. A single reserved season ticket is $50. Single game SEC ticket $7. Group seating (15 or more) $3 each. The NCAA knows UConn is the only fan base that fills arenas at prices comparable to mid-major men's program prices. Final Four cities would suffer, and dearly, if UConn fans didn't flock with open wallets.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
If So Carolina was sent to Lexington, I imagine most of those tickets were purchased by Louisville fans who also support their team. Maybe not to the degree of So Carolina fans, but for Big Games, Louisville fans show up for Games. No difference in Revenue for the NCAA regardless of where So Carolina was sent.

Rupp Arena seats 23,000 so there will be no shortage of tickets in Lexington.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Some facts to apply to theory:
2017 SC was #1 in the Stockton regional and drew 3,134 for the final and 4,500 vs. Quinnipiac (Lexington next closest where ND went) -snarky side note: maybe Q travels better than SC as more fans went to the Sweet 16 game than the final! :rolleyes:
2016 SC was #1 in Sioux City regional (UConn in Bridgeport, ND in Lex, BU in Dallas) and drew 4,610 (loss to Syr) and 4,055 for final (Ok City or Lexington, Baylor/ND), maybe 550 fans of SC left after the Sweet 16 loss...
2015 SC was #1 in Greensboro region and drew 6,364 and 6,286 (that's hardly a huge following going there). SC averaged 12,293 at home that year.
2014 SC was #1 in Stanford region and drew 6,700 in sweet 16 game losing to North Carolina. (closest was Louisville where Tenn went as #1)

*2014 had schools as regional hosts (Stanford-6,700/6,145, Louisville-11,097/14,002, ND-8,774/8,774 and Nebraska all hosted-UConn went to Nebraska, 7,169 went to the final)

So a few things to ponder:
#1. The NCAA needs to rethink about having schools host the regionals as attendance is significantly higher on-site than at Neutral sites. The 2014 numbers dwarf the other regions from succeeding years, save where UConn is. Attendance is down almost 50% from 2014, that's significant and worth a lot of money.
2. Yes, SC seems to be sent out west a lot as 3 of the last 5 years prove. Not sure that's a conspiracy though as higher ranked teams stayed closer to home in those years.
3. No, the fans don't necessarily turn out as the one year they were close to home in 2015 in Greensboro (183 miles), they didn't draw as well plus North Carolina was in that regional so it really is a head scratcher why Greensboro was so poorly attended.
4. SC has drawn very well at home so hosting the on-site 1st two rounds is a bonanza for the NCAA. That said, the team is mixed on travel though to be fare, the distance in 2014, 2016 and 2017 was excessive. 2015 is the question mark for me as to why didn't more go to Greensboro.

I have made this point before and it worth repeating: Cities bid on the hosting, meaning a local school will work with a city to put in for hosting. In our case, both Albany and Bridgeport know that UConn will virtually be put there and guarantee great attendance, making money and worth the effort. Other regions have not faired that well doing this. As they don't know if they can sell out or make money at the venue. Call it the UConn phenomenon. This non-sell out reason is causing the NCAA to rethink about hosting the regions back on-campus. Before people get up in arms on that-virtually all the other sports do this-host regionals at the lowest seeded schools with the final fours at neutral sites.

Just some facts to ponder when we look at the stands and the vacant seats at virtually all the sites these coming weeks.

I went to that Regional in Greensboro and surprisingly few UNC fans attended. There were also not many from FSU or ASU. I did expect us to take more fans to that Regional, especially after we took like 3000 fans to the game at Duke during the regular season. I always say I can only control what I do and not anyone else.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Glad to see South Carolina be a hotbed of interest for women's basketball. The attendance leadership is tempered by some financial facts. Family 4-pack of season tickets is $100. A single reserved season ticket is $50. Single game SEC ticket $7. Group seating (15 or more) $3 each. The NCAA knows UConn is the only fan base that fills arenas at prices comparable to mid-major men's program prices. Final Four cities would suffer, and dearly, if UConn fans didn't flock with open wallets.

ohno.jpg

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I went to that Regional in Greensboro and surprisingly few UNC fans attended. There were also not many from FSU or ASU. I did expect us to take more fans to that Regional, especially after we took like 3000 fans to the game at Duke during the regular season. I always say I can only control what I do and not anyone else.

On Friday night.... I would have estimated around 750-1000 UNC.cheat fans...... maybe it was closer to 500....There were maybe 50 Arizona State fans........ perhaps 100 FSU fans.... also there were a good number Duke fans in Duke shirts rooting for Baby Carolina :p I expected a little more of your fans there.... especially since it was a Friday evening/Sunday afternoon Regional.... hopefully next year will be a Fri/Sun .... as those are probably better for the average fan to attend. It was a great atmosphere though....... yall have some loud fans. And it was cool for them to play that Sandstorm song for yall on Sunday. :cool:

Reaction Score
If FSU makes it to Albany my sister and I may go. She is an alum and a donor, so we should be able to get tickets through the university.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

Did you also know that you have to be a member of the Gamecock Club to get reserved seats?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
On Friday night.... I would have estimated around 750-1000 UNC.cheat fans. maybe it was closer to 500....There were maybe 50 Arizona State fans... perhaps 100 FSU fans.... also there were a good number Duke fans in Duke shirts rooting for Baby Carolina :p I expected a little more of your fans there.... especially since it was a Friday evening/Sunday afternoon Regional.... hopefully next year will be a Fri/Sun .... as those are probably better for the average fan to attend. It was a great atmosphere though.. yall have some loud fans. And it was cool for them to play that Sandstorm song for yall on Sunday. :cool:

I expected more, also. It was fun when they played Sandstorm. I had a good time at that Regional and the game at Cameron earlier that season.

Reaction Score
The thing is that UConn, Tenn and South Carolina have the top 3 fan bases in the country per attendance the last four years. You would think the committee would try and leverage that to continue to grow the game. Especially since SC was seeded ahead of Texas and logistics have hurt their fan base being able to see them in the recent past. It was embarrassing, as someone who tries to promote the women's game to others who scoff at it, the lack of fans at the regional finals last year in Stockton and in the region Baylor played in. It looked terrible on T.V. If Louiville, and/or Tenn gets upset what will the attendance look like at that regional final? Just a question.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Did you also know that you have to be a member of the Gamecock Club to get reserved seats?

No. That poster didn’t know because all he decided to do was recycle the same information we’ve already accounted for.

Isn’t the entire lower bowl (or VAST majority) reserved seating? Meaning you have to be in the GC to purchase tickets there?

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Some facts to apply to theory:
2017 SC was #1 in the Stockton regional and drew 3,134 for the final and 4,500 vs. Quinnipiac (Lexington next closest where ND went) -snarky side note: maybe Q travels better than SC as more fans went to the Sweet 16 game than the final! :rolleyes:
2016 SC was #1 in Sioux City regional (UConn in Bridgeport, ND in Lex, BU in Dallas) and drew 4,610 (loss to Syr) and 4,055 for final (Ok City or Lexington, Baylor/ND), maybe 550 fans of SC left after the Sweet 16 loss...
2015 SC was #1 in Greensboro region and drew 6,364 and 6,286 (that's hardly a huge following going there). SC averaged 12,293 at home that year.
2014 SC was #1 in Stanford region and drew 6,700 in sweet 16 game losing to North Carolina. (closest was Louisville where Tenn went as #1)

*2014 had schools as regional hosts (Stanford-6,700/6,145, Louisville-11,097/14,002, ND-8,774/8,774 and Nebraska all hosted-UConn went to Nebraska, 7,169 went to the final)

So a few things to ponder:
#1. The NCAA needs to rethink about having schools host the regionals as attendance is significantly higher on-site than at Neutral sites. The 2014 numbers dwarf the other regions from succeeding years, save where UConn is. Attendance is down almost 50% from 2014, that's significant and worth a lot of money.
2. Yes, SC seems to be sent out west a lot as 3 of the last 5 years prove. Not sure that's a conspiracy though as higher ranked teams stayed closer to home in those years.
3. No, the fans don't necessarily turn out as the one year they were close to home in 2015 in Greensboro (183 miles), they didn't draw as well plus North Carolina was in that regional so it really is a head scratcher why Greensboro was so poorly attended.
4. SC has drawn very well at home so hosting the on-site 1st two rounds is a bonanza for the NCAA. That said, the team is mixed on travel though to be fare, the distance in 2014, 2016 and 2017 was excessive. 2015 is the question mark for me as to why didn't more go to Greensboro.

I have made this point before and it worth repeating: Cities bid on the hosting, meaning a local school will work with a city to put in for hosting. In our case, both Albany and Bridgeport know that UConn will virtually be put there and guarantee great attendance, making money and worth the effort. Other regions have not faired that well doing this. As they don't know if they can sell out or make money at the venue. Call it the UConn phenomenon. This non-sell out reason is causing the NCAA to rethink about hosting the regions back on-campus. Before people get up in arms on that-virtually all the other sports do this-host regionals at the lowest seeded schools with the final fours at neutral sites.

Just some facts to ponder when we look at the stands and the vacant seats at virtually all the sites these coming weeks.

5. In 2017, South Carolina MEN’S basketball went on an unexpected deep run in the NCAA tournament. So a lot of fans were pouring out money last year during the tournament on airfare/tickets. I know of several diehard WBB fans that went to MSG for the men’s S16/E8 then flew to Phoenix for the F4 then when that was done flew to DALLAS for the Women’s Title game... SC fans were in airports all over the country last March. A lot of our WBB fans are also MBB and they followed the men’s team instead of the women’s last march because it’s HIGHLY unlikely South Carolina’s MBB program will ever again play in the Final 4. The women on the other hand, they’ll be a threat for it more often than not as long as Dawn is still here. Everybody wants to participate in history.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No. That poster didn’t know because all he decided to do was recycle the same information we’ve already accounted for.

Isn’t the entire lower bowl (or VAST majority) reserved seating? Meaning you have to be in the GC to purchase tickets there?

A friend of mine, who got his tickets a year after I did, and who has more points than I do, was in the upper deck.

Maybe he missed a deadline or something, but I believe the bowl is all Club now? I actually sort of think that is a shame. I think its affected actual attendance negatively, though it is still really good crowd. Routinely outdraw the men in actual butts in seats.

With another child on the way, I will probably not renew mine this year. I feel guilty that we could not make so many already.

Reaction Score
5. South Carolina MEN’S basketball went on an unexpected deep run in the NCAA tournament. So a lot of fans were pouring out money last year during the tournament on airfare/tickets. I know of several diehard WBB fans that went to MSG for the men’s S16/E8 then flew to Phoenix for the F4 then when that was done flew to DALLAS for the Women’s Title game... SC fans were in airports all over the country last March. A lot of our WBB fans are also MBB and they followed the men’s team instead of the women’s last march because it’s HIGHLY unlikely South Carolina’s MBB program will ever again play in the Final 4. The women on the other hand, they’ll be a threat for it more often than not as long as Dawn is still here. Everybody wants to participate in history.

I watched us beat Stanford in the team hotel in Phoenix and win the National Title in a small bar in Sedona with perhaps not surprisingly two other groups of Gamecock fans. Quite a weekend.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I watched us beat Stanford in the team hotel in Phoenix and win the National Title in a small bar in Sedona with perhaps not surprisingly two other groups of Gamecock fans. Quite a weekend.

Even with the 11 win football seasons, CWS titles and other moments of glory in Gamecock athletics.. last March’s deep tourney runs for both teams is probably one of my favorite moments as a Gamecock fan. It’s exciting enough to have one team make a deep run but to have both teams do it and one brings home the title was exhilarating. The men’s team making their run was like a dream, those games were exciting and nervous breakdown inducing.. but fun. Then you’d take a break and watch the women play the next day.. it was a blast. Nothing beats the NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
Even with the 11 win football seasons, CWS titles and other moments of glory in Gamecock athletics.. last March’s deep tourney runs for both teams is probably one of my favorite moments as a Gamecock fan. It’s exciting enough to have one team make a deep run but to have both teams do it and one brings home the title was exhilarating. The men’s team making their run was like a dream, those games were exciting and nervous breakdown inducing.. but fun. Then you’d take a break and watch the women play the next day.. it was a blast. Nothing beats the NCAA tournament.

Having good basketball teams is tremendously fun.

Reaction Score

no, didn't know that. I'm a UConn fan who was responding to the complaining by SC fans. Resent the "not this crap again" meme-- this is a UConn board---and I don't read every post--- who the hell are you to be condescending? So how much is this club membership cost? That info was not on the SC ticket webpage. I am intolerant of the whining, since UConn clearly generates more revenue from tickets. The on-court credentials are obvious, and SC is fortunate to get a #2 seed with six losses. UConn has had more fans at the final four than any other school for ten consecutive years, all requiring flights, with frequent competition from men's tournament games.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Imagine what it's like if both teams bring home the title in the same year......twice. ;)

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

Correct; the entire lower level is made up of reserved seats, though that is a recent phenomenon.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
no, didn't know that. I'm a UConn fan who was responding to the complaining by SC fans. Resent the "not this crap again" meme-- this is a UConn board---and I don't read every post--- who the hell are you to be condescending? So how much is this club membership cost? That info was not on the SC ticket webpage. I am intolerant of the whining, since UConn clearly generates more revenue from tickets. The on-court credentials are obvious, and SC is fortunate to get a #2 seed with six losses. UConn has had more fans at the final four than any other school for ten consecutive years, all requiring flights, with frequent competition from men's tournament games.

Mine is $760/year. There are a couple of cheaper options.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Rupp holds 23,000 folks. We'll see if it sells out. I'm guessing not. But maybe.

Kentucky versus Ohio State drew 2644 in Lexington during the NCAAT last season; Kentucky versus Belmont drew 3497 in the 1st round. Both of those games were at Memorial Coliseum and not at Rupp. In 2015 UK vs. Washington drew 8509 at Rupp in the Sweet Sixteen round of the Regional. In the 2nd round of last year's NCAAT, Louisville vs. Tennessee at Louisville drew 5698. Louisville isn't a very long drive from Knoxville. Expect 7000-8000 in attendance at the Lexington Regional this year; tops.

All our bickering aside, we're all fans of WBB and let's face it, attendance is pathetic.

Reaction Score
I'm not a huge fan of Dawn's, but I do understand her argument. At some point you would "hope" the NCAA would be fair to teams that have traveled far for years, and put them closer to home. SC is a higher ranked team than Tenn - seems SC should have been in Lexington!
well, there is no absolute fairness when both seeding and locations are taken into account. SC could have been sent to Lexington as a No. 3 seed, will Dawn be ok and not bitch about that? You want to be fair, try to be the overall No.1 seed and you can go where you want to go and play!

Reaction Score
well, there is no absolute fairness when both seeding and locations are taken into account. SC could have been sent to Lexington as a No. 3 seed, will Dawn be ok and not bitch about that? You want to be fair, try to be the overall No.1 seed and you can go where you want to go and play!

There is no real difference in being a #2 or a #3 in my opinion. But I reserve the right to bitch about it if I feel the need.

For purposes of this conversation, I'd probably rather have been a #3 sent to Lexington, but that would have inconvenienced Tennessee, so what can you do?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom