Ice practicing her shooting | The Boneyard

Ice practicing her shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've been waiting expectantly for her debut since she signed with UConn.............she's a big with an impeccable shooting touch out to the three-point line and her midrange game is simply deadly................no reason she shouldn't be a double double machine.....

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Impressive shooting display. Ice moves very well for a big girl.

My hunch is she can also pass the ball from the top of the key. If so, she will be a deadly combo with the likes of Aaliyah, Jana, Aubrey and other cutting in the lane.

Reaction Score
I'm no basketball expert, at least not compared to many BY's, but she reminds me of a somewhat shorter Aliyah Boston with her size and movement, at least with what I've seen of Boston in the WNBA.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It looks like there will be a lot of points to be had (for the taking) in the lane for UConn cutters and slashers this year. If Ice, Jana, and Ayanna can become good/great passers from the top of the key (Amari has already shown she can), UConn is going to be tough to stop in the paint. I see lots of free-throw attempts for them this coming season. :cool:

Reaction Score
For any 4 or 5 the outside shooting is nice but how are they at controlling the boards? UCONN will have plenty of women who can score so I think the deciding factor will be can they defend and take care of the ball. The one thing that is clear though is UCONN is way deeper this season compared to last.

Reaction Score
This combination of elite footwork and shooting mechanics for a big was put in motion way back in Jr. High because of Brady's work ethic and some great early coaching. And she'll be the best passing forward UConn has. She's not the most gifted athletically and speed-wise but she'll more than make up for it with her confidence, fundamentals, and mental game. The delay in her freshman season may actually work in UConn's favor as IMO they needed 2 bigs with high ceilings in this '23 class because the '24 and '25 classes are very thin. Now they have them.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I have been watching Brionna Jones at close range since her arrival with the Sun. She has added to her game every year... better post moves, better passing, more mid- range... Ice's moves inside are very reminicent... not dazzlingly fast but very accurate and powerful. Bri has a really pretty shooting stroke also, but she's much more reluctant to let 'em fly than, I think, Ice will be. Ice may be well ahead of where Bri was at this stage... bodes well for the future. Can wait to see her in real games.

Reaction Score
Bigs who can handle the ball don't need to be quick. For them, it's not about blowing by opponents from the perimeter. They just need to get an opponent on their hip and lever them into an open shot or drive. The smaller defender is dragged along and effectively becomes a cushion against the help defense. And if a big can shoot, as Ice pretty clearly can, this whole process works entirely to their advantage as the perimeter defenders can't sag off them.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I have been watching Brionna Jones at close range since her arrival with the Sun. She has added to her game every year... better post moves, better passing, more mid- range... Ice's moves inside are very reminicent... not dazzlingly fast but very accurate and powerful. Bri has a really pretty shooting stroke also, but she's much more reluctant to let 'em fly than, I think, Ice will be. Ice may be well ahead of where Bri was at this stage... bodes well for the future. Can wait to see her in real games.
Of course I meant CAN'T wait to see her in real games... Just as a reminder Brionna Jones was a 1st team All-American at Turtleville then went on to be a 6th WOTY, MIP, and All Star in the W... so the comparison is very optimistic. Go Ice!!!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Impressive shooting display. Ice moves very well for a big girl.

My hunch is she can also pass the ball from the top of the key. If so, she will be a deadly combo with the likes of Aaliyah, Jana, Aubrey and other cutting in the lane.
I wrote my comment BEFORE I saw yours. We're looking through the exact same prism on this one.
For any 4 or 5 the outside shooting is nice but how are they at controlling the boards? UCONN will have plenty of women who can score so I think the deciding factor will be can they defend and take care of the ball. The one thing that is clear though is UCONN is way deeper this season compared to last.
It's a foregone conclusion that this team can score. The only question is, as you state......can they defend and take care of the ball? Can they get a stop when they really really need one? Turnovers were our Achilles heel last year.

Reaction Score
Does Ice play the four or the five next year? If she's got the skills to be a true stretch four she effectively slides into Dorka's role with the team.
I think if she's teamed with Aaliyah she could play either position effectively........UConn now has two powerful 6'3" bigs who can shoot from the midrange which will also open up the inside offense.......I think it will be Ice vs Jana for that starting spot...........what a great problem for Geno to have.....

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I think if she's teamed with Aaliyah she could play either position effectively........UConn now has two powerful 6'3" bigs who can shoot from the midrange which will also open up the inside offense.......I think it will be Ice vs Jana for that starting spot...........what a great problem for Geno to have.....
Seems as if some of the BY has written off Amari. However, I understand your point.

Reaction Score
I've stated previously that the 5th starting position is between Ice or Jana. Now, if this pans out, consider the next 3 most likely subs: Caroline, Aubrey, and either Jana or Ice. This level of depth would be such a welcome after the upheaval of the past 2 seasons. UConn has a solid rotation of 8 players and that doesn't factor in 3 returning players with playing experience. Add 3 highly touted freshmen, and all of sudden, UConn is looking much like previous Stanford teams in compiling talent. The difference is this UConn team has better talent.

By the end of the regular season and possibly even before, questions about the front court will be answered.

Reaction Score
Seems as if some of the BY has written off Amari. However, I understand your point.
Not me! But the proverbial ball is definitely in Amari's court. If back problems are what slowed her progress previously, I hope the surgery was successful. With a fully healthy roster, there's more competition, but also more opportunity for all the post players, since there will be very little packing the paint against them this season. If Amari is fully healthy, there's never been a better moment for a breakout season. And the Huskies could really use a 6'6" long armed rim protector to intimidate in the lane. We believe in you, Amari!

The best of all possible seasons would have Jana Amari Ice Aaliyah rotating through the 4-5, with Aubrey Ayanna Caroline Q rotating through the 3-4, and Nika Paige Azzi Ashlynn Inês KK rotating through the 1-3. [memo to Geno: experiment as much as possible with all these girls.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom