Ice practicing her shooting | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ice practicing her shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I wrote my comment BEFORE I saw yours. We're looking through the exact same prism on this one.

It's a foregone conclusion that this team can score. The only question is, as you state......can they defend and take care of the ball? Can they get a stop when they really really need one? Turnovers were our Achilles heel last year.
The high low game can be devastating to an opponent. Big Momma Stef and Stewie proved that.

With Ice, Jana and others - watch out.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
When Paige and Isuneh work the pick and roll, we get Ice Buckets!

1688151131668.png

Reaction Score
Seems as if some of the BY has written off Amari. However, I understand your point.
I haven't written her off.............she's just a question mark between her erratic play and now her surgery..........I simply have no idea what her impact will be this coming season.........I'm sure we would all be thrilled if she could play anywhere near her high school ranking.......time will tell....

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Not me! But the proverbial ball is definitely in Amari's court. If back problems are what slowed her progress previously, I hope the surgery was successful. With a fully healthy roster, there's more competition, but also more opportunity for all the post players, since there will be very little packing the paint against them this season. If Amari is fully healthy, there's never been a better moment for a breakout season. And the Huskies could really use a 6'6" long armed rim protector to intimidate in the lane. We believe in you, Amari!

The best of all possible seasons would have Jana Amari Ice Aaliyah rotating through the 4-5, with Aubrey Ayanna Caroline Q rotating through the 3-4, and Nika Paige Azzi Ashlynn Inês KK rotating through the 1-3. [memo to Geno: experiment as much as possible with all these girls.]
I'm extremely optimistic about Amari's potential/production this coming season due to her medical challenges being resolved. I remind you what UConn surgeons and medical staff did for Aubrey Griffin. I understand that her situation was a lot worse than Amari's. :confused:

Look at her now. I'm going to assume that Amari's physical challenges are all behind her and that she can now forge full speed ahead. I'm still sitting in the front row of her cheering section with a pair of giant pom poms and a megaphone. Nothing's changed. ;)

Reaction Score
I've been waiting expectantly for her debut since she signed with UConn.............she's a big with an impeccable shooting touch out to the three-point line and her midrange game is simply deadly................no reason she shouldn't be a double double machine.....
are you thinking what I'm thinking...lol we may finally have our own Aneesah Morrow I'm not sure she's quite Aliyah Boston....YET!!!!

Reaction Score
are you thinking what I'm thinking...lol we may finally have our own Aneesah Morrow I'm not sure she's quite Aliyah Boston....YET!!!!
Ice is a lot bigger than Morrow. We’ll see if she’s as driven.

Reaction Score
She's still the closest looking player to Stewart (who's on a whole nother level but entertain me)

Her jumper is right behind Bueckers and Fudd's. She's 6-3. She has a wide body in the lane. Mobile mover, good passer, shot blocker. She's just different. And I will eat crow if she's not an All-American on some list by the end of it all

Reaction Score
She's pretty advanced for having no college experience. The Boston I remember was lean, quick and shooting from the foul line and entering her 3rd season. Freshman Boston was talented but out of shape and foul prone.

Reaction Score
I wrote my comment BEFORE I saw yours. We're looking through the exact same prism on this one.

It's a foregone conclusion that this team can score. The only question is, as you state......can they defend and take care of the ball? Can they get a stop when they really really need one? Turnovers were our Achilles heel last year.
Yes, turnovers = bad. But we were also out rebounded on several occasions too. Those 2 things, especially when combined puts UConn in a huge uphill battle.

What was frustrating about last year's rebounding was that at times it seemed like UConn lost ALL the 50/50 balls (well it felt that way to me). This is not 100% a "bigs" problem. The other guys have to sniff out the ball too. When the other team takes a 3 pointer, someone on the weak side has to be looking for a long rebound. Carnac, I suspect you've might have gotten a rebound or 2 in your life, so you know a large part of rebounding is anticipation. It's what made Rodman be a rebounding machine. Just be where the ball is going to be.

Reaction Score
What was frustrating about last year's rebounding was that at times it seemed like UConn lost ALL the 50/50 balls (well it felt that way to me). This is not 100% a "bigs" problem. The other guys have to sniff out the ball too. When the other team takes a 3 pointer, someone on the weak side has to be looking for a long rebound.
There were definitely games over the past couple seasons when the team looked flat, when the opposing team seemed to win all the 50/50 balls. Creighton and DePaul did that to us a couple times. It’s especially against smaller squads like these, teams that shoot lots of 3s, where we look tired and you get the impression their coaches must really drill long-rebound skills. Flanery and Bruno may just be really good at coaching this side of the game.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Yes, turnovers = bad. But we were also out rebounded on several occasions too. Those 2 things, especially when combined puts UConn in a huge uphill battle.

What was frustrating about last year's rebounding was that at times it seemed like UConn lost ALL the 50/50 balls (well it felt that way to me). This is not 100% a "bigs" problem. The other guys have to sniff out the ball too. When the other team takes a 3 pointer, someone on the weak side has to be looking for a long rebound. Carnac, I suspect you've might have gotten a rebound or 2 in your life, so you know a large part of rebounding is anticipation. It's what made Rodman be a rebounding machine. Just be where the ball is going to be.
This is one place where Ice can help. She crashes the glass. I can't wait to see her in a game with UConn. El Alfy, Griffin, a healthy Patterson, they'll all help with that.

Another thing that will help is being able to rest. The mental and physical fatigue of last season was real. It's tough to go after every single ball when you're running on empty.

I also hope the schedule will be a little kinder this year. During the conference season did they have two games in a row at home? Being in a plane six days a week takes its toll too.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
There were definitely games over the past couple seasons when the team looked flat, when the opposing team seemed to win all the 50/50 balls. Creighton and DePaul did that to us a couple times. It’s especially against smaller squads like these, teams that shoot lots of 3s, where we look tired and you get the impression their coaches must really drill long-rebound skills. Flanery and Bruno may just be really good at coaching this side of the game.
Of course they were tired - Geno only had 7 players available most games

Carnac

Reaction Score

Correct. Dennis Rodman (former forward for the NBA Detroit Pistons & Chicago Bulls) did that better than most. THAT was his main job!! They didn't need him to score, just rebound the basketball, and play some defense. The other four players on the court would take it from there. They were better scorers than him, but HE was a better rebounder than any of them. Together, they worked well AS A TEAM. A championship team. Rodman had one job to do!!! He did it well.

Rebounding is anticipation. The most important component of anticipation is positioning. You've got to be in a position to rebound the missed shot. Just like you have to be in the correct position to block a shot. A player "constantly out of position" will never do either. Aliyah Boston and Aneesah Morrow are excellent rebounders because they've learned that simple principle. On January 30, Morrow scored 22 points and recorded a Big East single-game record 27 rebounds,

That's why they're ALWAYS around the ball when it comes off the board. They don't mind physical contact (pushing, shoving, and jockeying for position) either as the shot is going up. Napheesa Collier (my girl Pheesa) is also an excellent rebounder for the same reasons. Being a good rebounder is an attitude and a mindset. You've got to want the ball if it comes off the glass, not just hope it comes your way. She was a good rebounder in high school, at UConn, and now for the Minnesota Lynx of the WNBA. Rebounding has ALWAYS been a part of her game.

That's why Gabby Williams (Gabulous) was such a great player during her last two years at UConn. She could control the game from either end of the court. She could score, pass set screens, and rebound. She still can. ;)

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
OK, you are the front runner for the 2023 most clever post award.
I have several post awards that I hand out from time to time for extra special and/or uniquely written posts. They are the Post of the Day (POD), Post of the Month ( POM), and the Post of the Year (POY). Feel free to hand out your post awards as you see fit. Every once in a while one comes across the board that’s deserving. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom