Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Before I even say it, here's who isn't the best post since Breanna:

Azura Stevens - 6'6 but didn't stay long enough or play in the post long enough
Napheesa Collier- 6'1 and frame limited her
Gabby Williams - she was 5'11 but great
Kiah Stokes - she was prior to Breanna
Aaliyah Edwards - Sophomore season was under a witch's spell
Olivia Nelson-Ododa - Defensively better but limited in paint production because everything else she had to

Ice Brady will be that girl. She's 6'3, one inch taller but just as wide as Tuck, with a nice jumper and who's coming off an Olympic summer. She can pass from high, bang down low, make mid-range jumpers/open 3's and will draw a lot of fouls. Geno's going to use her like a chess piece just like Breanna.

No discredit to Dorka, Aaliyah or Amari. But Ice Brady in the paint looks scarier than anyone else on the roster
Not just as wide LOL

Reaction Score

Olivia Nelson-Ododa - Defensively better but limited in paint production because everything else she had to

Ice Brady will be that girl. She's 6'3, one inch taller but just as wide as Tuck, with a nice jumper and who's coming off an Olympic summer. She can pass from high, bang down low, make mid-range jumpers/open 3's and will draw a lot of fouls. Geno's going to use her like a chess piece just like Breanna.

No discredit to Dorka, Aaliyah or Amari. But Ice Brady in the paint looks scarier than anyone else on the roster
I hope you are right but Breanna was a power forward, Stokes was a Center and a darn good, nearly among the great defensive centers. She was a stopper. Breanna was an all around superb player, but truly a power forward. If Ice can really do most of what Breanna did, Uconn is in its best position for the NC it has been in for a long long time.

Reaction Score
I don't think Stewie is the right comparison for Ice -- or for anyone for that matter. She was practically 7' tall, and had the speed of a guard, and was a true rim protector. Steph was, too. But the others, awesome as they were, benefitted greatly from the fact that Stewie and her long arms stood next to them. It's all about context.

I don't expect Ice to do what Stewie did -- that's not reasonable. But she's strong and tenacious, quick with an outlet pass, and knows how to score inside and out. We've had lots of bigs who were able to turn those virtues into greatness. With Dorka (or even Amari) standing next to her, she'll be formidable. And with Aaliyah next to her, the two of them will be daunting. Fold Ayanna into that mix and oh my! Other teams typically don't want to encounter that much physicality in the lane. It can wear their bigs out. I think that's what happened to Indiana in the Sweet sixteen, and that was just Aaliyah, Olivia and Dorka.

Reaction Score
Agreed. I don't understand how you can compare a player that has not played a game for UConn or at the elite college level yet to one that played 4 seasons. If you must compare players which I dislike doing, at least use comparable stats.

I'm happy with Brady being who she is, and being the best Isuneh Brady she can be WITHOUT being compared to players that preceded her. It's hard enough to play at UConn without constantly being compared to others. That's extra pressure that does not benefit anyone.

Stewart played in 152 games at UConn. Brady has played ZERO. If one must compare the two, how about we wait until brady has completed her college career then compare their respective stats? Is that fair? :rolleyes: I'm the UNOFFICIAL seer of the yard, and even I can't see THAT FAR into the future. :confused: I'm excited about the chance to watch her play, grow and mature over the next 4 years. I think we're going to like what we see. :) Not to pee in the OP's Kool-Aid, but I think his post is a bit pre-mature.
I agree with each word you write. I do hope ICE is the "second coming" of any great player, we need that. i'm the original "wait and see". I've seen too many "over" hyped newbies that fell on their rear ends and never met the hype. No knock on the kids, they are what they are. Some for the near 40 years Geno has been coaching and I've been watching--that happens regularly. The truly great can be counted on one hand with fingers left over, We have been blessed with enough really really good player counted on fingers, toes, and an ear or two. Personally, I love the great and near greats but my entire heart and body follow the Sue Birds, Rene's, Maria', right up to the Caroline D.'s and Azzi's. I do hope ICE is another.
c

Reaction Score
You underestimate Barkley’s athleticism because of his build. Barkley was exceptionally quick off the floor around the basket and he posessed excellent athleticism. He was too strong for small forwards and too quick for big forwards. Let’s hope that Ice presents a similar dilemma for opposing players.
In the 60's on the Men's side, Uconn played a team, more often than I liked, with a "center' too short, too slow, but rebounded and scored with unbelievable ease. I wish the memory could pull up that name. He proved you don't have to look like a player to be effective. This guy presented problems for every team in the old Yankee Conf.

Reaction Score
We will see where Ice ends up in the pantheon of great UConn post players. One thing I am certain of is, like all freshmen, Ice will have her ups and downs at UConn as she learns to practice and play up to the incredibly high standards that Geno demands.

In all likelihood Ice will be very good. But I can predict that at some point, early in the season, some folks here on the BY will be lamenting their belief that Ice isn’t as good as everyone thought, following a less than stellar performance.

Let’s moderate our expectations on Ice, at least until she plays her first game at UConn…..:cool:
Being a freshman or soph doesn't guarantee ups and downs. Senior have been known to go through slumps that also affects Pro's. We've had more kids like Caroline than not. Caroline, was lucky, she missed the Freshman "training teaching moment" because without her it would have been a longer year. In that way she is the exception.
I do hope ICE is another exception, that too is not guaranteed.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I agree with each word you write. I do hope ICE is the "second coming" of any great player, we need that. i'm the original "wait and see". I've seen too many "over" hyped newbies that fell on their rear ends and never met the hype. No knock on the kids, they are what they are. Some for the near 40 years Geno has been coaching and I've been watching--that happens regularly. The truly great can be counted on one hand with fingers left over, We have been blessed with enough really really good player counted on fingers, toes, and an ear or two. Personally, I love the great and near greats but my entire heart and body follow the Sue Birds, Rene's, Maria', right up to the Caroline D.'s and Azzi's. I do hope ICE is another.
c
Isuneh Brady can be great (and I believe she will be as she grows and matures) without being compared with anyone. Different player, different era, different teammates. The staff MUST hone and and perfect her skills so that they blend in and mesh with her current teammates.

After all, those are the players she's on the floor with. I hope Brady and Patterson focus and concentrate on being the best players they can be, being true to themselves and playing within their skills and abilities. In other words......."Do you". Be you!!!

They don't need to be compared to anyone else. They both have the potential of being great players just being who they are. They will be under enough scrutiny and pressure without any additional "comparisons" or expectations from fans or media. I hope they both adopt the thought that Sammy Davis Jr. sang about in his version of "I gotta be me" :)

Last edited:

UHF

Reaction Score
My all time favorite post player at UConn and she doesn't get a lot of credit, was Kelly Schumacher aka Schuey!! Top Shelf player.

Volleyball career after UConn and WNBA.

UHF

Reaction Score
Isuneh Brady can be great (and I believe she will be as she grows and matures) without being compared with anyone. Different player, different era, different teammates. The staff MUST hone and and perfect her skills so that they blend in and mesh with her current teammates.

After all, those are the players she's on the floor with. I hope Brady and Patterson focus and concentrate on being the best players they can be, being true to themselves and playing within their skills and abilities. In other words......."Do you". Be you!!!

They don't need to be compared to anyone else. They both have the potential of being great players just being who they are. They will be under enough scrutiny and pressure without any additional "comparisons" or expectations from fans or media. I hope they both adopt the thought that Sammy Davis Jr. sang about in his version of "I gotta be me" :)

Off season is early April thru early November. During those 7 months :

20% of BY threads are "who will start".
20% of BY threads are "comparisons".
20% of BY threads are "OT Songs".

Do you really want to eliminate 20% of BY threads?

:cool::p:D:rolleyes:

Reaction Score

Maybe just eliminate the GOAT threads for someone who has not yet participated in a Pre Game Warm Up??

Reaction Score

I love your enthusiasm, but a bit of a discredit to Pheesa, the best undersized post I’ve ever seen play. I think what you are hoping for is a Pheesa with added height. That would = 1st team AA as a freshman!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Not really. I have more faith in my fellow Boneyarders because I believe they are the most intelligent and informed posters on the world wide web, that they can be more creative than this. Forgive me for my impatience for posts of that nature.

I understand this forum is not about me!! I understand and have no problem with ANYONE that wants to post this type of comment or concern. That is what makes the Boneyard so popular and inviting to others. I personally just don't like comparisons. They serve no purpose. They do make great fodder for discussion, nothing more.

What is gained by comparing Olivia Nelson-Ododa (ONO) to any of the post players that came before her (or to Aliyah Boston)? She's gone. Her stats and legacy is what it is. She did the best she could, but according to observations by fans here and the media, she fell short of the expectations people had for her. Boston had a better freshman year (won more awards) than ONO did in any of her 4 years here. Comparing Brady to Stewart is not going to make her play any better or worse. So what's the point? :eek:

Fans wanted to compare incoming freshman Crystal Dangerfield to the recently departed Moriah Jefferson. Why?!? Who benefits from that comparison? Certainly not Crystal. She was already under enough pressure trying to come in and learn the system on the fly and get into the rotation. You're comparing a raw 18 year old high school player with a grown, seasoned and matured 21 year old player that was one of the best (and quickest) point guards in UConn history, that just had a great senior year. Two players on the opposite ends of the spectrum. What am I missing here?

Please don't mind me, compare players all you wish. If/when I come across a post/thread of this nature that does not interest me, I'll simply move on. No harm, no foul. :) Compare all you want to. Fans and media are "obsessed" with constantly comparing LeBron James to Michael Jordan, and will continue to until the end of time. I understand the fascination for some folks to do so. it's the nature of the beast. So compare away. :cool:

Last edited:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
When Stewie was a teenager and I dont remember her age I got a phone call from a friend who saw her play. His daughters played with and against some of the all time NY Great Women HS players. He told me he had just seen the greatest female basketball player ever. He said she can run like a gazelle, shoot like Diana, dribble like Sue Bird and can grab the rim and she was 6'3. I said what is her name. He told me Breanna Stewart. He then said she wants to play for Geno and UConn and only them. Stewie turned out pretty good. She did it all and imo one of her greatest attributes was her anticipation. I too do not like comparing players especially from different eras because the game changes all the time. I will say this. ICE is big has alot of terrific qualities and with UConn developing her well the sky is the limit. Her size and height along with her ability to create can make her one of the all time greats. We will wait and see because everybody around her is so darn good.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I haven't read the thread. When I first saw it all I could think of was why are we anointing someone who has yet to play a college game. Naturally I hope she's wonderful, but I think we are more than a bit ahead of ourselves. No, don't throw Paige at me. Paige is different. Geno told her it was her team to lead when she had yet to play a game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I've seen Barkley described as quick and fast online but I'm not buying it. Quick for a big bulky guy maybe. I was surprised to see his vertical leap at 39" so that is definitive and I stand corrected on that. The bottom line of my point though is that even relatively short bulky players can often be great rebounders and Barkley is an obvious example of that. Wes Unseld and others. He was reputed to be closer to 6' 4" than 6" 6" but was listed as 6' 6". I think strength is an important rebounding attribute. Look at how many players are tall and get their hands on the ball but somehow lose the rebound to a stronger player. Quick reflexes are different than quick foot speed right? Quick reflexes are possibly more important than foot speed for rebounding. It's like getting a jump on a baseball in Center field. Some players are much better at it than others. There are lots of factors in becoming a good rebounder. Effort, intensity, commitment, blocking out, positioning...lots of factors.
If you have to go online to know what kind of player Charles Barkley was you are probably going down the wrong path. Suggest you rely on the numerous posters in this thread that are trying to educate to something of which they had first hand experience. If you want to know what kind of player Barley was as a college play go read about the 1984 US Olympic trials where Barkley was the second best player at the trials and one of 3 future HoF players that were cut from that team.

Reaction Score
Starting to compare someone to the best player on the planet, before they have played a single college game is foolish.
Let her at least get to college and start playing, then you have a body of work.
A full season would be enough, and of course a championship. Stewie got 4.

Will someone who is saying that the OP is "comparing" Brady to Stewart please point out where that is said in the OP or the thread title. Saying that "A" is the best anything since "B" does not imply that A is better than B.
To my eyes Brady has the most suitable body to play in the paint for UConn since Stokes and I hope she just plays the way she knows and doesn't get hung up on being the next whomever.

Reaction Score
Funny but I see Brady playing the 5 as long as her fouls last. Juhasz looked her best last season at the 4 where her height and outside game allowed her to dominate, especially on the offensive boards. But she is not an inside banger. Brady may want to roam the perimeter and appears to have tools to do it but her value this year will be trading hip checks with opposing 5's. That's why Geno wants her in the weight room.

Reaction Score
A better comparison may be Dolson coming in as a freshman and Brady doing the same now. Brady has better tools than Dolson did in her 1st summer. Now we need to see if she has Dolson's fire. Everything I've seen is very encouraging.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
A better comparison may be Dolson coming in as a freshman and Brady doing the same now. Brady has better tools than Dolson did in her 1st summer. Now we need to see if she has Dolson's fire. Everything I've seen is very encouraging.
I was thinking the same thing (about all three of your posts for that matter). I think she has all the skills of a forward -- great handle, range to her shot -- but I'm really (really) hoping she spends most of her time at the 5. I also hope she spends some time with Alex Blazell. Ice seems to have the germ of Napheesa in her. The footwork, up-and-under moves, and fallaway -- I can't WAIT to see this young woman after Jamelle and CD have worked with her a little.

Reaction Score

I agree, I didn't compare her to anyone. I just said she was the best post since Breanna. If anything I compared Breanna to everyone else. But I appreciate your post and look forward to vining in the future

Reaction Score
Will someone who is saying that the OP is "comparing" Brady to Stewart please point out where that is said in the OP or the thread title. Saying that "A" is the best anything since "B" does not imply that A is better than B.
To my eyes Brady has the most suitable body to play in the paint for UConn since Stokes and I hope she just plays the way she knows and doesn't get hung up on being the next whomever.
!!!!! Thanks for eloquently writing was I was thinking I should have said highest rated or most post oriented in hindsight but this was my logic. Was not comparing her to Breanna or legacy, she's just looks like the best post in recent years since Stewie.

Reaction Score
I kind of agree. Dolson came in with super effort, excellent passer, 6-5, excellent screener and she learned her offensive tools. Ice is a lefty with a serious jumper, 6'3, she seems more offensively versatile which is why I chose Stewie. Also the player she models her game after and why she chose UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom