I wonder if DT or Maya or Stewie or Rebecca feel slighted. [merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I wonder if DT or Maya or Stewie or Rebecca feel slighted. [merged thread]

Reaction Score
Not complete yet, more to come.

200.gif

Reaction Score
:eek: Actually both Maya & Stewie played at South Carolina. Stewie had a pretty solid game there dropped 25 and 10 and had 5 swats. Was that statue worthy? :D
Kinda like a statue of Benedict Arnold at West Point.. :cool:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
UConn highlights team not players. It honors players by hoisting jerseys. It doesn’t make them gods. The fans do sometimes, but it ain’t Geno’’s way.

Reaction Score
Not in favor of any player being recognized with a statue. A coach maybe ?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Why did you create another thread for this? This deserves to be within the body of that thread.
mark wahlberg no GIF by Daddy's Home

Reaction Score
Reading the article the national title was only one of the factors that contributed to the statue. George Rogers never won a title but he was the first and only Heisman trophy winner. She accomplished a lot of first for SC as a basketball program. Not to mention what she did for the university off the court.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Mechelle Voepel ESPN.com

"South Carolina has installed a statue of former Gamecocks All-American A'ja Wilson in front of Colonial Life Arena in Columbia, South Carolina.

Wilson, the 2018 consensus national player of the year and No. 1 WNBA draft pick, will take part in a dedication ceremony Monday."

Did I miss something? Are there statues of Diana Taurasi, Maya Moore and Brianna Stewart in front of Gampel Pavilion? If not why not? Wilson helps South Carolina win ONE national championship, and she gets a statue. Stewart has 4 national championships, Dee has 3, and Maya has two. When is the unveiling of their statues? :eek:

If there is to be a statue in front of Gampel, it should be Dee Rowe. After that it should be Jim Calhoun and Geno.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Thanks Mods for the merge. I didn't see HuskieinSC's post. I don't knowingly duplicate threads, or step on toes. :) It has been deleted.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Having listened to Aja Wilson on interviews and other venues, she is one of the nicest and most humble people I have seen. I remember when she was "Dueling on ESPN{ with Sue Bird during a smackdown as alumnae for a SC / UConn game that poor Aja could not say a mean thing.

For what she has done to put SC on the map, a statue is the least she deserves.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Dang. Are we really that bored on a Saturday to be worried about another program and a statue?
Yes, but not worried, amused. Since our game with Villanova was canceled, we're looking for other pursuits today. No new news and no new commitments to comment on. We were all looking forward to that game. An idle mind is the .........

Last edited:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Mechelle Voepel ESPN.com

"South Carolina has installed a statue of former Gamecocks All-American A'ja Wilson in front of Colonial Life Arena in Columbia, South Carolina.

Wilson, the 2018 consensus national player of the year and No. 1 WNBA draft pick, will take part in a dedication ceremony Monday."

Did I miss something? Are there statues of Diana Taurasi, Maya Moore and Brianna Stewart in front of Gampel Pavilion? If not why not? Wilson helps South Carolina win ONE national championship, and she gets a statue. Stewart has 4 national championships, Dee has 3, and Maya has two. When is the unveiling of their statues? :eek:

I guess they are just generational players and Aja is immortal (in SC eyes).
Having listened to Aja Wilson on interviews and other venues, she is one of the nicest and most humble people I have seen. I remember when she was "Dueling on ESPN{ with Sue Bird during a smackdown as alumnae for a SC / UConn game that poor Aja could not say a mean thing.

For what she has done to put SC on the map, a statue is the least she deserves.
I don't believe she has done more for women's basketball than Rebecca Lobo did during her playing career at UConn. Like I said earlier. I wonder if SC would be making a big deal out of a #1 ranking and 1 national championship if Clemson wasn't casting such a big shadow.

Yes she did put SC on the Women's basketball map. Just like Skylar did for Notre Dame. You see how that ended up.

Carnac

Reaction Score

I don't believe she has done more for women's basketball than Rebecca Lobo did during her playing career at UConn. Like I said earlier. I wonder if SC would be making a big deal out of a #1 ranking and 1 national championship if Clemson wasn't casting such a big shadow.

Yes she did put SC on the Women's basketball map. Just like Skylar did for Notre Dame. You see how that ended up.

Throwing no shade here, but it appears that SC's criteria for honoring someone with a statue is different than that of some other schools. Not to worry, as cohenzone commented, "it ain’t Geno’’s way." I think if UConn were going to honor an athlete(s) with a statue, they would have done it by now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Congrats to A'ja Wilson. When she committed to South Carolina, that was the inflection point for their program. Kind of like when Rebecca Lobo came to Storrs to play for Geno and CD.

Reaction Score
It appears that SC's criteria for honoring someone with a statue is different than that of other schools. Not to worry, as cohenzone commented, "it ain’t Geno’’s way." I think if UConn were going to honor an athlete(s) with a statue, they would have done it by now.
SC criteria for honoring someone with a statue is different from UConn. Other schools have statues of their athletes. Baker Mayfield has a statue at Oklahoma for winning the Heisman. I would put A'ja accolades over his accomplishments on and off the field/courts any day.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

please expound

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
As much as fanbases are comparative and always want their player/coach/program to be considered the best...one amazing and underrated thing about the WNBA (and women's basketball) in general is that players are extremely supportive of each other and band together in hopes of elevating the sport. We rarely hear about petty arguments or ego issues among great players. I am sure all of the players mentioned are incredibly happy for A'ja and think it's great for the sport regardless if they get a statue or not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom