I wonder if DT or Maya or Stewie or Rebecca feel slighted. [merged thread] | Page 3 | The Boneyard

I wonder if DT or Maya or Stewie or Rebecca feel slighted. [merged thread]

Reaction Score
I guess they are just generational players and Aja is immortal (in SC eyes).

I don't believe she has done more for women's basketball than Rebecca Lobo did during her playing career at UConn. Like I said earlier. I wonder if SC would be making a big deal out of a #1 ranking and 1 national championship if Clemson wasn't casting such a big shadow.

Yes she did put SC on the Women's basketball map. Just like Skylar did for Notre Dame. You see how that ended up.

Rebecca is in the Hall of Fame. I think she's good.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Throwing no shade here, but it appears that SC's criteria for honoring someone with a statue is different than that of some other schools. Not to worry, as cohenzone commented, "it ain’t Geno’’s way." I think if UConn were going to honor an athlete(s) with a statue, they would have done it by now.
I may be a leeeetle bit sensitive because of my local.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
It will take too much of my time to expound. But you will find your answer here:

I understand what she did for UCONN basketball..... but what about for women's basketball as a player?

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I understand what she did for UCONN basketball..... but what about for women's basketball as a player?
I will just quote one line from her Naismith Hall of Fame plaque: "Her tireless devotion to the game she learned so close to home has taken her around the world to promote, support, and foster the development of women’s basketball."

Reaction Score
She was the poster girl for WBB, which is why the committee shoved her down Tara’s throat for the ‘96 Olympic team. The plan was for the POY/UConn NC buzz to continue long enough that they could successfully start up the WNBA, and it worked.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
All kidding and digging aside, I think what Dawn Staley and the fans have built in Columbia SC is just fantastic. It wasn't that long ago when SC was a lame program. They went from bad to "on the rise" to competing for national championships (and, yes, hanging banners :) ) in a jiffy.

Yes... now instead of being known as The Lesser Carolina.... they have upgraded to just The Other Carolina. :p

Reaction Score
Lobo was a huge ambassador for women’s basketball both in college (especially 1995) and in the WNBA! She raised the profile of women’s basketball tremendously, far beyond what her actual basketball skills could because she was likable and articulate and smart and perhaps most importantly, in the right place at the right time. I believe that she had to face quite a lot of jealousy and backbiting because her popularity was not based on being the most dominant athlete but rather on other, more subjective things and the fact that she was seen by many fans as being the best player when of course, she was not. This, understandably led to some murmured resentment on the part of players who were clearly better basketball players who felt (rightly or wrongly) that she was receiving too much credit. I personally believe this was (at least partially) the seed of the Tara VanDerveer controversy. I believe Tara was annoyed that Lobo, a player who was not one of the best players on that team, nevertheless sucked a disproportionate amount of oxygen from the room and Tara felt it was unfair. Having said that, I don’t think Tara handled that well and although I am obviously not privy to any inside information about that, I like to think Tara regrets her handling of that whole situation. Lobo was basically the cornerstone for the greatest dynasty in the history of women’s basketball and much of her status as a historic figure in the game stems from that. I think there is an argument to be made about where she stands strictly as a player but in terms of raising the profile and popularity of the game and her status as a classy ambassador for women’s basketball, I would put her among the very best ever! There have been many players and coaches, whose impact on the game went far beyond their ability. Rebecca Lobo (in my opinion) is definitely one of those! Finally, I must emphasize that I am in no way trying to minimize her deserved status as a great player, only that her impact on the game went far beyond that.

Reaction Score
Lobo was a huge ambassador for women’s basketball both in college (especially 1995) and in the WNBA! She raised the profile of women’s basketball tremendously, far beyond what her actual basketball skills could because she was likable and articulate and smart and perhaps most importantly, in the right place at the right time. I believe that she had to face quite a lot of jealousy and backbiting because her popularity was not based on being the most dominant athlete but rather on other, more subjective things and the fact that she was seen by many fans as being the best player when of course, she was not. This, understandably led to some murmured resentment on the part of players who were clearly better basketball players who felt (rightly or wrongly) that she was receiving too much credit. I personally believe this was (at least partially) the seed of the Tara VanDerveer controversy. I believe Tara was annoyed that Lobo, a player who was not one of the best players on that team, nevertheless sucked a disproportionate amount of oxygen from the room and Tara felt it was unfair. Having said that, I don’t think Tara handled that well and although I am obviously not privy to any inside information about that, I like to think Tara regrets her handling of that whole situation. Lobo was basically the cornerstone for the greatest dynasty in the history of women’s basketball and much of her status as a historic figure in the game stems from that. I think there is an argument to be made about where she stands strictly as a player but in terms of raising the profile and popularity of the game and her status as a classy ambassador for women’s basketball, I would put her among the very best ever! There have been many players and coaches, whose impact on the game went far beyond their ability. Rebecca Lobo (in my opinion) is definitely one of those! Finally, I must emphasize that I am in no way trying to minimize her deserved status as a great player, only that her impact on the game went far beyond that.
Agree with all of your points here. Keep in mind Tara had won the NCs in 1990 & 1992 to gain momentum to become the National Team Head Coach position, and she thought she was on the verge of her third as Virginia had almost knocked UCONN out of the tournament in the Regional Final. However, UCONN spanked her team 87 - 60 in the Final Four and she predicted on national television that UCONN had no chance against UT and Pat Summitt in the finals. For the first half, it kind of looked that way with foul trouble and all, and then they all [UCONN women] dug deep [Jamelle particularly dug deep the entire game], and launched this beautiful basketball program that we all know and love...
I, for one, am glad Tara was wrong about the 1995 finals, otherwise Pat Summit would have been the first to win four titles in a row, Geno & CD would not be perfect in 11 for 11 National Championship Finals, Geno & CD would not have been perfect six times (twice as many as the rest of women's college basketball teams (Texas, Tennessee, & Baylor) - each once since the NCAA tournament for womens basketball has "been a thing!"), etc....

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Wow...South Carolina can't even put up a statue without critics crashing in. I guess you've arrived when every little thing you do 'in house' becomes chat room material for others. Aja doesn't have to deserve a statue to anyone else in the world....just the world of the South Carolina athletic base matters...or should matter. I can't imagine South Carolina fans becoming critics of a, Stevie, Lobo...or any other UCONN greats statues being placed on the UCONN campus.....geez....

Reaction Score
I don't have a position one way or the other about Aja's statue, I think it's a decision for South Carolina to make as to who they honor and how they do it (although I still think the #1 in the polls banner was silly and embarrassing). But one would be remiss in not acknowledging the significance of a statue of a black women on the campus of a Southern University which was previously segregated. That may be reason enough for the statue.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I don't have a position one way or the other about Aja's statue, I think it's a decision for South Carolina to make as to who they honor and how they do it (although I still think the #1 in the polls banner was silly and embarrassing). But one would be remiss in not acknowledging the significance of a statue of a black women on the campus of a Southern University which was previously segregated. That may be reason enough for the statue.

pretty powerful

Reaction Score
Wow...South Carolina can't even put up a statue without critics crashing in. I guess you've arrived when every little thing you do 'in house' becomes chat room material for others. Aja doesn't have to deserve a statue to anyone else in the world....just the world of the South Carolina athletic base matters...or should matter. I can't imagine South Carolina fans becoming critics of a, Stevie, Lobo...or any other UCONN greats statues being placed on the UCONN campus.....geez....
Look, you are right about them having every right to raise a statue to whomever they want to. I think even most of the people who are criticizing this would agree with that. I certainly do. Wilson is rightfully admired by most basketball fans. Most of the talk about this is really not about the statue anyway. I think most of the criticisms are rooted in the silliness of South Carolina’s (and specifically Dawn’s) perceived whining that they should be named national champions simply because they were ranked (not unanimously, by the way) number one when the NCAA tournament was canceled in 2020. This silliness was then exacerbated by their raising a banner that proclaimed (erroneously) that they were the unanimous number one when in fact they were not. In some people’s opinion, (including mine) this frantic grasping for credit that was not earned on the court was/is simply unseemly and unworthy of a program that is without doubt, one of the elites of women’s basketball. Most basketball fans (I believe) would agree that putting up a banner (especially an erroneous one) touting their position in the national rankings when they already have a national championship banner is just a bridge too far, especially in conjunction with the above mentioned perception of Dawn actually lobbying for the NCAA to simply declare them the national champions. Any of these in isolation would probably have not raised many eyebrows but all of them together with the perception that Dawn can be seen as a bit prickly, are imo, the reasons why some are raising their eyebrows at the statue. Also, not to beat a dead horse, but there are no statues of Stewie, Diana, Maya, Rebecca, or even Geno, all of whom at present have greater credentials than Wilson. In the end, of course, SC can do whatever they wish. I simply believe it’s better to earn your respect rather than demanding it.

Reaction Score
The only thing I'll say about erecting statues is Penn State could probably give other schools a couple of reasons why it might not be a good idea to put up a statue of someone still alive and/or associated with the program.

Reaction Score
Look, you are right about them having every right to raise a statue to whomever they want to. I think even most of the people who are criticizing this would agree with that. I certainly do. Wilson is rightfully admired by most basketball fans. Most of the talk about this is really not about the statue anyway. I think most of the criticisms are rooted in the silliness of South Carolina’s (and specifically Dawn’s) perceived whining that they should be named national champions simply because they were ranked (not unanimously, by the way) number one when the NCAA tournament was canceled in 2020. This silliness was then exacerbated by their raising a banner that proclaimed (erroneously) that they were the unanimous number one when in fact they were not. In some people’s opinion, (including mine) this frantic grasping for credit that was not earned on the court was/is simply unseemly and unworthy of a program that is without doubt, one of the elites of women’s basketball. Most basketball fans (I believe) would agree that putting up a banner (especially an erroneous one) touting their position in the national rankings when they already have a national championship banner is just a bridge too far, especially in conjunction with the above mentioned perception of Dawn actually lobbying for the NCAA to simply declare them the national champions. Any of these in isolation would probably have not raised many eyebrows but all of them together with the perception that Dawn can be seen as a bit prickly, are imo, the reasons why some are raising their eyebrows at the statue. Also, not to beat a dead horse, but there are no statues of Stewie, Diana, Maya, Rebecca, or even Geno, all of whom at present have greater credentials than Wilson. In the end, of course, SC can do whatever they wish. I simply believe it’s better to earn your respect rather than demanding it.
What does UConn players have to do with what South Carolina chooses to honor their players? Who are the gatekeepers of college women's basketball?

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Nice thing for SC and all their fans. As for our top players, you can be sure they don't feel slighted. They have no interest in stutues other than the kind they get by winning NC's.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
You missed the whole point of my response. I said..."It's their right to do what they want"...I also said "they would not object to any Stevie, Lobo or any other UCONN great 'having' a statue". You seem jealous....I have said it time and time again. The South Carolina program can do what they please to celebrate what ever they wish. It's none of your business. If they think she deserves a statue...then she deserves a statue. If they think hanging a banner to celebrate a final No.1 ranking when there was no national title played...then they deserve a banner. You can have what ever opinion you want but in the end...it sounds like sour grapes....South Carolina is not going anywhere any time soon so deal with it. UCONN can do what they want...South Carolina can do what they want...Baylor, Stanford and all the others can do what they want to acknowledge what 'THEY' consider accomplishments by 'their' team or players...I am sure they don't care what 'you' or anyone else think...so...get a life !!!!!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Dang. Are we really that bored on a Saturday to be worried about another program and a statue?
Without a game since 12/29/20? Yes, yes we are.

The Big Lebowski Reaction GIF

Reaction Score
Without a game since 12/29/20? Yes, yes we are.

The Big Lebowski Reaction GIF
You sweep the Providence game on Jan, 9th under the bus? In case you missed it UConn won that one 87-50. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom