I Watched Baylor Annihilate OK Last Night (TV). It Appears UConn Is in for a Tussle! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I Watched Baylor Annihilate OK Last Night (TV). It Appears UConn Is in for a Tussle!

Reaction Score
Who guards Lauren Cox? In the game against OU she was driving even when she was given space at the high post so would Kyla be able to draw some charges and then have Olivia Nelson-Ododa in the low post as help? Vice-versa so Kyla can get into position to draw a charge? I’d probably spring for the second option and tell Olivia if Cox gets by her drop down to Kyla’s man and have Kyla move over to draw a charge and let Cox shoot the free throw line jumper all day.
Who would I put on Cox? Aubrey for a while, Ania for a while and in the 4th quarter ONO. Kyla is darn near an expert in getting that charge she'd at least try it but won't be guarding Cox.

Reaction Score
As was posted in a different thread, it's a shame that this game is not being played in Gampel...having the Lady Bears play and have shoot around looking at those 11 NC banners might have some kind of impact on the game...

Reaction Score
Who guards Lauren Cox? In the game against OU she was driving even when she was given space at the high post so would Kyla be able to draw some charges and then have Olivia Nelson-Ododa in the low post as help? Vice-versa so Kyla can get into position to draw a charge? I’d probably spring for the second option and tell Olivia if Cox gets by her drop down to Kyla’s man and have Kyla move over to draw a charge and let Cox shoot the free throw line jumper all day.

Imho Kyla would not match up against Cox very well....Lauren would shoot over her all night long, and if forced to drive, Lauren, being the exceptional passer that she is, would easily find the open player Of ODO had to come to the rescue. Aubrey on Cox would be a much better match up.

Reaction Score
Beating UConn in Waco with Kalani Brown in your lineup is a lot different than beating UConn in Hartford with only one true big.
Brown hit 6 or 7 outside shots she normally didnt make also!

Reaction Score
So, given UCONN's 38 point win today, and their 40+ point win over the common opponent OK.. (which Baylor beat by 20) ... any thought that there is a similar thread on the Baylor Board... talking about how someone there "Just watch UCONN destroy SMU...and BU might be in for a tussle"...'?? :rolleyes: ;)

Reaction Score
As was posted in a different thread, it's a shame that this game is not being played in Gampel...having the Lady Bears play and have shoot around looking at those 11 NC banners might have some kind of impact on the game...
Don’t they have replica banners at the XL center?

Reaction Score
IMO there’s no wing tandem in the country like our 3 in Dangerfield-Williams-Walker. I expect Geno to have those three prepared to hunt for their buckets against Baylor, someone will drop 30 because they’ll have to for a win. Baylor’s guards are long but they aren’t our three girls.

ONO has her work cut out for her Thursday night but I hope she learns a lesson in just how aggressive we need her to be. Kyla needs to stay within herself & not let the big moment scare her. Aubrey & Anna need to be steady as subs and not panic as well. I’m excited for this game & think we’ll win if we score 70+

Reaction Score
In the big picture, a win or less is less important (shouldnt affect seeding) than making sure its a competitive game & learning how to play through adversity against one of the top teams. The problem with playing in the AAC is players not getting used to playing in tough situations. Its a main reason we couldnt "finish" games in the Final 4 the last 3 seasons when we had leads in the 4th quarter.

Reaction Score
I am seeing Irwin differently than most it seems, and I'm the one who bet JoePgh that Makurat would start. Whoever is the fifth starter is going to be the fifth option. Does Auriemma want that fifth option to be better at scoring or screening? Despite her stat line I saw Irwin set the most screens this side of Dolson in the last game. Or, to look at it another way, the difference between Irwin and the freshmen in ability is not as great as was the difference between Webber and Sales, yet Auriemma chose Webber to start the games in a perfect season. Hey! I don't mind being right and seeing Makurat become the fifth starter, but I will be more satisfied than many a BYer if Irwin continues starting.
Suspect that in the big games, Baylor, Oregon, etc. Geno will see what the matchups dictate and go with what works versus today's rotation.

Reaction Score
IMO there’s no wing tandem in the country like our 3 in Dangerfield-Williams-Walker. I expect Geno to have those three prepared to hunt for their buckets against Baylor, someone will drop 30 because they’ll have to for a win. Baylor’s guards are long but they aren’t our three girls.

ONO has her work cut out for her Thursday night but I hope she learns a lesson in just how aggressive we need her to be. Kyla needs to stay within herself & not let the big moment scare her. Aubrey & Anna need to be steady as subs and not panic as well. I’m excited for this game & think we’ll win if we score 70+
While opinions likely vary, I believe Williams has a significant skills advantage over anyone on Baylor who would guard her. Predict that if Geno puts in offense that gets her the ball closer to the basket, she will dominate.

Reaction Score
Beating UConn in Waco with Kalani Brown in your lineup is a lot different than beating UConn in Hartford with only one true big.

if you were referring to Baylor I'd categorize Queen Egbo as a big...............she's a 6'3" wide body who can be effective defensively and on the glass at both ends of the court............she's averaging close to 14 points and 8 rebounds a game as a Cox replacement and should not be discounted............

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'd categorize Queen Egbo as a big...............she's a 6'3" wide body who can be effective defensively and on the glass at both ends of the court............she's averaging close to 14 points and 8 rebounds a game as a Cox replacement and should not be discounted............
Yes, but Baylor doesn’t usually play both at the same time. So if Egbo subs in for Cox, Baylor gets even smaller.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Suspect that in the big games, Baylor, Oregon, etc. Geno will see what the matchups dictate and go with what works versus today's rotation.

If by dictating match-ups you are including starting line-ups, in what seasons, if any, did Auriemma use such a strategy? He has changed starting line-ups to send a message, such as benching Stewart and Tuck before South Carolina. He has changed starting line-ups a few games into the season after he becomes more sure of what he wants, such as replacing Chong with Nurse. And of course he has changed starting line-ups due to injury. However, to go with the example I already referenced, he did not let match ups dictate his starting line-up when he started Webber, despite both Sales and Berube being better players with expanded skill sets.

I know that those with coaching experience may see changing line-ups as a way of flexing their strategy and tactic capabilities. Auriemma repeatedly claims he likes to know what he is getting. This is particularly true at the start of games. By sending out a known quantity and seeing how the opponent reacts he gets a better idea of how to proceed than sending out an unknown quantity and having to decide whether it's the unknown or the match-up that needs fixing. So I believe he will continue to start Irwin, in contradiction to my own previous claim, as he feels quite comfortable in what she brings to the start of games. Then as the game proceeds he has the luxury of two distinctly different freshmen to choose from as the match-up dictates. As with Wichita State, Irwin may not even be the one he subs as the match-up dictates.

Returning to my original question, which I am curious about, in what seasons did Auriemma use changing starting line-ups as a match-up dictating response?

Reaction Score
Wish I had data to substantiate that claim. :)
One example: Seaton Hall there's more if you choose to look. The playing up you will see against Baylor possibly Oregon too

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
One example: Seaton Hall there's more if you choose to look. The playing up you will see against Baylor possibly Oregon too

I understand the playing down part.
But the playing up part is conjecture.
That was my point.
I'm not denying the possibility.
There's just no evidence to support it.

Reaction Score
Yes, but Baylor doesn’t usually play both at the same time. So if Egbo subs in for Cox, Baylor gets even smaller.

They also get Quicker , im not sure how much youve seen of baylor this year. Egbo coming in for Cox allows Smith to roam a bit more at the high post. Replacing Smith with Degrate just brings in more size. Not have a true big is the last thing baylor is missing.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Students aren't around.

Reaction Score
IMO, NaLyssa Smith is the major matchup problem for UConn. They have nobody to handle her athleticism and rebounding with ONO having to play Cox or Egbo. Unless UConn hits a high percentage of 3’s, whoever owns the paint wins the game.

Reaction Score
IMO, NaLyssa Smith is the major matchup problem for UConn. They have nobody to handle her athleticism and rebounding with ONO having to play Cox or Egbo. Unless UConn hits a high percentage of 3’s, whoever owns the paint wins the game.

the only UConn player physically capable of staying with Smith is AG............I'll be curious to see if that match up takes place and for how long.......

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Matchups are a problem for Baylor. UConn has their core 4 all top players who can handle the ball shoot the trey effectively and do everything. Our 5th starter can shoot the trey and pass. We have a shot blocker in the middle who can score. So how will Baylor guard UConn. Most likely pack it in as I expect UConn to go as Baylor is not a good 3pt shooting team. I read these posts where fans seem scared and concerned about Baylor. Thank goodness our players dont feel that way. One of the biggest advantages UConn has is they think they can and most teams coming to CT think they cant.

Reaction Score
The Lady Bears are long and strong and athletic.... also very experienced. UConn is going to need to play a great game in order win. I think we will need substantial contributions from Anna and/or Aubrey, as well as improved scoring from Christyn. Meg, Liv and Crystal will need to continue their mostly excellent play, with Liv staying out of foul trouble.
Let's hope the home crowd is worth some points, especially since Baylor hasn't really played any away games yet.
What are you talking about ? Hope your rooting for the bears since your so excited for them !

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom