I was there when (rules in thread) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I was there when (rules in thread)

Reaction Score
I was at the UConn football 1984 game where the Morgan State assistant coach came off the sideline to tackle the UConn player running towards the end zone. One of the craziest things I’ve ever seen at a sporting event.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I was at Daytona when Earnhardt died at the 500.

We had seats in the back stretch close to the start of turn 3. About 20-30 laps earlier there was a crazy multi-car crash on the backstretch. Cars flipping the air. Cars on fire. And everyone made it out of that crash fine. When Earnhardt hit the wall he was behind the leaders and the crowds attention was to see who won. The Earnhardt crash was an afterthought.

We left the track and were stuck in traffic leaving the parking lot when a girl got out of a Earnhardt themed black Chevy Monte Carlo wearing a black #3 Earnhardt jacket and started screaming "Dale's Dead!!!". We started fumbling around on the car radio to get more info.

Reaction Score
I have a vague recollection of being at the Bobby Jones 1 hitter against the Giants in the 2000 NLDS. I would have been 6 years old so I can't imagine my parents took me to a playoff baseball game, although maybe ticket prices weren't crazy then. So a decent to good chance this is all in my imagination

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
David Wells perfect game. 5/17/98. Beanie baby day. Went with my sister and twin 12 year old nieces. Sat in the Loge section down the first base line. Was extremely hung over from the night before. Fell asleep in my seat from the 3rd to 5th innings. Perked up real fast when I woke up and realized what was going on. The last 4 innings were amazing.
So was Wells that day.

Reaction Score
I was at Daytona when Earnhardt died at the 500.

We had seats in the back stretch close to the start of turn 3. About 20-30 laps earlier there was a crazy multi-car crash on the backstretch. Cars flipping the air. Cars on fire. And everyone made it out of that crash fine. When Earnhardt hit the wall he was behind the leaders and the crowds attention was to see who won. The Earnhardt crash was an afterthought.

We left the track and were stuck in traffic leaving the parking lot when a girl got out of a Earnhardt themed black Chevy Monte Carlo wearing a black #3 Earnhardt jacket and started screaming "Dale's Dead!!!". We started fumbling around on the car radio to get more info.
One of the heaviest tragedies in sports.

Reaction Score
6 OT Game
San Antonio 2004
Dream Season
MSG Elite 8 2014
TD Garden Elite 8 2024
Ray Ray >>> the Answer
Many many BET games

And yes, the Butt Fumble too. When I got home and watched ESPN I laughed my @$$ off. They didn't show those lowlights at the game
The 6 OT game was my ultimate. It felt like a dream because I had already spent 4 hours that afternoon at Stouts before whatever the first game was. I'm pretty sure I remember west virginia...I DO remember being hungover by the time regulation had ended because msg had cut us off.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
The 6 OT game was my ultimate. It felt like a dream because I had already spent 4 hours that afternoon at Stouts before whatever the first game was. I'm pretty sure I remember west virginia...

The only time we trailed was in the 6th OT, after everyone fouled out

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I was at the UConn football 1984 game where the Morgan State assistant coach came off the sideline to tackle the UConn player running towards the end zone. One of the craziest things I’ve ever seen at a sporting event.
Gregg Morrison aka Butter, the ball carrier, lived on my floor in Stowe C. A walk-on from Madison CT (I was at the game also)

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
I was at Fenway as a kid so this would be 34 years ago or so. There were two triple plays turned in the game, both by the same team. I can’t recall if it was the Red Sox who turned them or the other team. They also flashed on the scoreboard that Bo Jackson hit 3 homers while the Red Sox were playing.

Reaction Score
I was in Fenway Park June 6, 1996 To watch the Red Sox play the White Sox. On that day John Valentin hit for the cycle. Also, in that same game, Tim Naehring hit into a triple play.

That combination of rare events has happened only one other time in major league history, on July 1, 1931 in a game between the Phillies and Cubs.

Reaction Score
I was there at University of Pittsburgh Fitzgerald Field House on December 12, 1998 in the student section (I was in law school at Pittsburgh at the time.) Down 4, with 9 seconds to go, I watched the furious UConn comeback and El Amin jumping on the scorer’s table. It was pandemonium, and I was likely the only happy person in the student section. Yes, UConn, but a complete surprise! I was also known as PittsburghHuskyFan on McDs.

Reaction Score
Jordan’s last game in MSG as a Wizard scored 31 and hit the gw shot, fans went down to the wizards bench during TO and commercial breaks to snap off pictures of MJ like it was a tourist attraction.

In 2003 in the old Yankee stadium, Pedro vs Mussina. First 2 batters of the game Pedro hit Jeter and Soriano on the hands both had to leave the game. Pedro and Moose both pitched 8 innings of 1-1 game, Yankees walk it off in 9 as Todd Walker botched what would’ve been an inning ending double play.

Reaction Score
I was at Righetti's no-hitter against the Sox on July 4th, 1983 at the old Yankee stadium. I was with 2 Sox fans and 2 Yankee fans travelling back to CT after a weekend drunkfest in Toms River NJ. We decided to get tickets last minute on the way home. Even though I am a Sox fan, it was still special to witness a no-hitter. I remember that it was very hot that day.

I was also at the Clemens/Pedro matchup during the 1999 ALCS at Fenway. The crowd was rabid that day and wanted blood from Clemens. They got it as he only lasted 2 innings and the Sox won the game but lost the series. There weren't many great moments as a Sox fan prior to 2004.

I also have many great UConn moments and one in particular that stands out was the 2006 game between UConn and Washington where Rashad hit the shot to send the Huskies into OT and a win. We all know what happened two days later. I took the afternoon off and drove down to DC from CT to see the game spontaneously.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Toward the end of Lute's reign at Arizona, when the Wildcats were a power and Washington had been down and out for a while. UA visited Seattle, Huskies came away with the win and put themselves on the map early in Romar's tenure. That game was particularly famous for 5-8 Nate Robinson's hellacious tip jam over the top of 6-9 Channing Frye.

Years later was there for Kelsey Plum's 57 point outburst that broke the all time scoring record for NCAA women (since broken again by Clark of course).

1999 NCAA Tourney 1st and 2nd Round games at Key Arena, the beginning of Gonzaga becoming Gonzaga.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Also Caitlin Clark's 40 point triple double in a Regional Final, I believe the first ever, 2023 vs. Louisville.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom