I was there when (rules in thread) | The Boneyard

I was there when (rules in thread)

Reaction Score
Have you ever gone to a random sporting event and caught a classic, famous or infamous?

Did you buy a ticket to a regular season baseball game and see a no-hitter?

Did you go to the butt fumble game?

*Playoff, tourney games, superbowls, world cups etc. are all amazing events to attend. However, For the purpose of this thread, try to include only the games you went to where something particularly memorable happened out of the blue.
I know that every uconn win is special, but try to include games where something happened besides simply your team winning.

I've been to a few but here's the one that sticks out the most:

I was randomly in the 10th row at a Nets-Bulls regular season game (Brendan Byrne) when Rodman headbutted the ref.

What did you see?

Reaction Score
Not sure if this applies as out of the blue but last summer I bought tickets to Inter Miami at NY Red Bulls in Jersey (had a feeling)…40 bucks each near front row of corner flag. A few days later … Leo Messi signs for Miami. Held on to the tickets instead of reselling for hundreds.

Game itself was strange. Messi didn’t play the whole first half. Children were crying and the crowd was getting extremely tense. Up to this point Messi had played something like 10 straight games with no rest. So I understood but felt like I should’ve cashed out and sold those tickets!

All is forgiven when he starts warming up after halftime. Even better, he is warming up right in front of where me and my buddy were sitting. Got great pictures. Just that was worth the price of admission.

Fast forward to about the 60th minute. He comes in and scores the winner late. At least I think it was the winning goal. One of those strange events where no one cared about the game just the one player. I’ve also never seen a home crowd in a professional sport with essentially no home crowd support despite a sell out!

Last edited:

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
6 OT Game
San Antonio 2004
Dream Season
MSG Elite 8 2014
TD Garden Elite 8 2024
Ray Ray >>> the Answer
Many many BET games

And yes, the Butt Fumble too. When I got home and watched ESPN I laughed my @$$ off. They didn't show those lowlights at the game

Reaction Score
I was in Hyannis with my wife(then girlfriend) when JFK Jr's plane crashed and during the search. Horrible tragedy. Whole Cape was in shock.

Reaction Score
I was there when ARod hit 600

I was there when Mo struck out Bonds…Same game as bonds 500+ shot at Yankee Stadium

Reaction Score
Meadowlands for “Monday Nite Miracle” in 2000 when Jets overcame a 4th qtr 30-7 defecit to tie things up and eventually win 37-40 in OT

Reaction Score
I was at the Duke-UConn Elite 8 game where Laettner made the shot in OT to beat us.

Reaction Score
Yankees at Red Sox July 24, 2004. Jason Varitek shoved his catcher’s mitt into ARod’s face and the Red Sox scored 3 runs in the 9th and won on a walk off 2 run HR by Bill Mueller. The game is widely acknowledged as the turning point in the season and the rivalry was ratcheted up and set the stage for the historic ALCS come back from 3-0. Red Sox fans know the game. Still have the ticket stub on my son’s bedroom wall.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I was at the infamous 1988 Bills-Jets MNF game when fans started lighting seats on fire (and pissing on the fires to extinguish) and beating up on security guards and other fans. We were in corner of end zone across from all the hubbub which started in 3rd quarter and kept coming toward us throughout 4th. Pretty scary, so we bailed halfway thru.

Reaction Score
Nothing too crazy, but I did see Chris Osgood score against the Whalers. At the time it was only the 4th time in NHL history a goalie had scored.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
The Pass. Then The Shot. Brendan Byrne Arena March 22 1990.

I was there too :), but I guess I think more about the next game.Then again, that was part of the Dream Season, which is an all encompassing expression

Reaction Score
Michael Jordan’s Double Nickel game vs the Knicks while wearing #45, and Donyell’s 20 for 20 from the line vs St John’s, both at Madison Square Garden.

Reaction Score
Game 4 at Civic Center of opening round of 1990 NHL playoffs. Whalers up 2-1 over the Bruins. Whalers take a 5-2 lead into 3rd period. Building was absolutely jumping. Bruins score 4 in 3rd period to win 6-5 to even the series. Of course the building was still jumping as the Bruins fans took over the building.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If this were an "I wasn't there" thread:

Righetti's no-hitter. That was hell.
Had tickets (with my brother) to this game (July 4 1983) but a buddy of his from college, who was a Red Sox fan (from eastern CT) came down for the weekend so I gave him my ticket and went to al al weekend long party instead. Was a bit angry when I found out I missed out on a no hitter.

6 OT Game

As my son was still kind of young (13) and I didn't want to worry about him missing school the next day I gave up my seats to the night session of the BET that night to a buddy.

And one that fits the thread:

I was there when ARod hit 600

Saw 500 & 600. Still not much of a fan of the guy.

Reaction Score
David Wells perfect game. 5/17/98. Beanie baby day. Went with my sister and twin 12 year old nieces. Sat in the Loge section down the first base line. Was extremely hung over from the night before. Fell asleep in my seat from the 3rd to 5th innings. Perked up real fast when I woke up and realized what was going on. The last 4 innings were amazing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom