I was embarrassed by some UConn fans tonight | The Boneyard

I was embarrassed by some UConn fans tonight

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Let me be clear, we had a lot of support and most of the fans were supportive of the team. I thought a young and experienced and newly formed team played well after an awful start. They rallied, we cheered, and most of us were there to have a good time.

There were 6 or so "fans" sitting a few rows behind me that made me sick. They mocked Ollie throughout the game, yelling stuff like "take the stairs Ollie" and great call Ollie or nice clapping Ollie. They also hurled insults towards our players.

Then on the way out and onto to street I was near about 10 younger "fans" who did nothing but mock our kids and our program, and did so at the top of their lungs. probably drank too much.

Seriously, I would rather interact with Cuse fans than UConn fans like that. They're an embarrassment to our fan-base.

But I do want to thank them for one thing, they proved to me how wrong they are. they have no clue what's going on with the program, they have no idea we're rebuilding. they're just full of anger and hate.

PS: If that's how you're going to behave, STAY HOME, nobody wants you there. Not the team, and not your fellow fan-base and nobody else sitting there and observing such vulgar behavior either.

willie99

Reaction Score
Seriously?

entirely new roster, decent recruits salvaged very late in the game this year and next year's class off to a good start?

after gutting the team at the end of last season?

by the very definition of rebuilding, that's rebuilding loud and clear and it's really hard to miss (or maybe I should say "it should be hard to miss")

willie99

Reaction Score
Not that im defending that behavior, but you have to admit the frustration with this program is at an all time high. We are officially in uncharted territory with where this program is at right now.

we have to accept the fact that this team is rebuilding, and give Ollie and the kids a chance

what's going on is just plain wrong

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Someone burns down your beautiful house.

He then starts to build you what looks to be a shed where the house once stood. It’s not even a very nice shed and it looks like it’s going to take him forever to figure out how to finish it.

Some people might not be so anxious to see how the shed turns out.

This is something you’re going to have get your mind around if you intend on interacting with other UConn fans going forward - they want the house back.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

He then starts to build you what looks to be a shed where the house once stood. It’s not even a very nice shed and it looks like it’s going to take him forever to figure out how to finish it.

This is something you’re going to have get your mind around if you intend on interacting with other UConn fans going forward - they want the house back.

Heckling them while they build your shed only means you’ll get a crappier shed. I have no respect whatsoever for anyone who talks trash to their own team while at a game. I understand their frustration, but it makes no sense.

Reaction Score
Seriously?

entirely new roster, decent recruits salvaged very late in the game this year and next year's class off to a good start?

after gutting the team at the end of last season?

by the very definition of rebuilding, that's rebuilding loud and clear and it's really hard to miss (or maybe I should say "it should be hard to miss")

Six years in and he’s still rebuilding?

Reaction Score
Heckling them while they build your shed only means you’ll get a crappier shed. I have no respect whatsoever for anyone who talks trash to their own team while at a game. I understand their frustration, but it makes no sense.

Shed or a crappier shed, still a shed.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
When your choices are a shed or a crappy shed, take the shed. Staying at a game to complain is ridiculous, and counter productive - shut up, or leave the game.
Or you can tell him to just STOP already, I'm not interested in a shed, I'll seek out a new contractor to build me a house that's somewhat respectable.

The last thing I'd want to do is sit around and wait til that "marvelous" shed is finished. Head bang

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Let me be clear, we had a lot of support and most of the fans were supportive of the team. I thought a young and experienced and newly formed team played well after an awful start. They rallied, we cheered, and most of us were there to have a good time.

There were 6 or so "fans" sitting a few rows behind me that made me sick. They mocked Ollie throughout the game, yelling stuff like "take the stairs Ollie" and great call Ollie or nice clapping Ollie. They also hurled insults towards our players.

Then on the way out and onto to street I was near about 10 younger "fans" who did nothing but mock our kids and our program, and did so at the top of their lungs. probably drank too much.

Seriously, I would rather interact with Cuse fans than UConn fans like that. They're an embarrassment to our fan-base.

But I do want to thank them for one thing, they proved to me how wrong they are. they have no clue what's going on with the program, they have no idea we're rebuilding. they're just full of anger and hate.

PS: If that's how you're going to behave, STAY HOME, nobody wants you there. Not the team, and not your fellow fan-base and nobody else sitting there and observing such vulgar behavior either.
Well said but it sounds like the current state of our nation not just UCONN nation

Reaction Score
We got beat as Ollie said two freshman. I get that th roster turned over but we are to the point where if coaches switched teams before the game many believe we would still come out losers and that is scary as hell.

Reaction Score

It keeps getting said but there's a pretty huge chasm between "wanting the house back" and what we're getting now.

Also that house isn't entirely beyond repair. Have to stop the arsonist before it's too late though.

willie99

Reaction Score

they need to grow up and get some balance in their life

and every single time a legend retires there's going to be an adjustment period, that's just life, so maybe it's time to get real

Reaction Score
While tact is something that is usually found lacking once beer and bravado are infused, the message however is loud and clear: Kevin Ollie has lost the respect of a large portion of the UCONN fanbase.

Hopefully that sentiment gets echoed at Gampel and XL this winter as warranted, because it shouldn't take a weatherman to tell which way the wind blows.

willie99

Reaction Score
Six years in and he’s still rebuilding?

Does anyone around here know what happened to this team last year? do any of you? Do any of you remember what our roster looked like 6 months ago? Do any of you remember how many kids transferred AFTER year end meetings with coach? Do any of you know how they salvaged some hope for this season with the players they recruited since then? Do any of you see the step up in recruiting since then? Do any of you remember Ollie knew he had to press the reset button after last year? Do all of you not really see the difference in the team's effort this year?

Shocking I have to start from step one with so many people.

Give Ollie a chance to implement his changes, he's not going anywhere for the foreseeable future anyhow.

Fans can be disappointed and want more, I fully understand and appreciate that, but to behave like I witnessed is despicable.

And, as I mentioned in the OP, most UConn fans in the building supported their team. So let me be perfectly clear about that too so that the haters don't think the UConn basketball world is in their corner.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom