I was at the game Some thoughts on SC UCONN | The Boneyard

I was at the game Some thoughts on SC UCONN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I was at the game yesterday. A friends wife couldnt make it so he asked me to go and it was great. Even greater while we were at the game his daughters water broke and she had a baby girl. Now to the game. UConn started off with Nika and The Griff scoring. Dawn made the adjustments and things changed in the 2nd qtr. UConn played with heart guts and determination. A couple of problems one being no bench and foul trouble left us defenseless and still we found a way to score and hang in there. Second when in foul trouble we had Aaliyah on the bench and she still scored over 20 pts. With Aaliyah on the benh we had lost some offense and no offense off the bench left us vunerable. The refs allowed pushing bumping and grabbing. SC took advantage of that and I dont think UConn did. Cardoso imo made a huge difference as she could shoot over us and was another rebounder.

THE TECHNICAL. I was sitting there and screamed as Lou was on the opposite side of the floor and made a move to get up top and was grabbed and bumped. I yelled call a foul and at the same time Geno was called for the T. Geno had had enough. It wasnt a smart thing to do at that point in the game however when your player is being knocked off her feet, loosing her balance, something has to be said. Sitting there in person and watching the bumping pushing and grabbing and no calls was horrific. But thats the way they called the game. I remember the same thing happened to Diana when she played and Paige. This caused Lou to rush her shots. Lets face it, I dont think this will change throughout the season.

We fought hard and looking at the box score we played a great game. I realized that SC's offense is pass the ball inside and try and get a shot and if they miss they get the rebound. Too many times we had our hands on a rebound and with the pushing and shoving underneath we lost our balance and SC ended up with the ball. I saw the same thing happen to Lou when she was bumped and shoved she too lost her balance. How do we counter that? Well if thats the way the game is being called we can do it to our opponents however with a short bench that is risky so maybe not a smart move.

Overall we played a great great game. Not a perfect game but a great game. As we were walking out of the Civic Center we were talking about when Caroline and Azzi get back. That will be a huge difference being we will have players who can score and give a rest to those on the floor. It will also help to open things up and spread defenses. Understand SC has been playing pretty much the same way all season and that most likely wont change. How do we counter that? Fresh bodies, a deeper bench, and more scorers. I didnt think SC's offense was good but their rebounding made up for it with second and third opportunities. I though UConn was much quicker then SC too.

The only things we can change if we meet SC again is what we do. You can be critical of the refs, and the way SC plays. The only thing we can control is ourselves. So if the game is called allowing a push and shove and bump we have to adjust to our opponents.

So next is Marquette and I expect the same type of defense. Push shove and bump Lou all over the court. This is what it has come too. How do you stop that. Maybe when shes bumped hard and looses her balance she should fall down a couple of times until a foul is called or do something else to draw the refs attention. If you want this to stop you have to make changes.

UConn is a depleted team that is really really good and will only get better when Caroline and Azzi are back healthy.

Reaction Score
Great post. Concur with you on many points. One difference: you are making the assumption that Caroline and Azzi will return. I have doubts that this will occur. We really do not know how serious the leg injury is to Azzi. Or how rattled Caroline's brain is actually rattle or whether she will ever be the same again. I have seen Marines medically discharged because they had balance issues after suffering concussions. Some folks can not behave the same anymore. We must be patient and wait and see. What we have left on the bench is not to encouraging. However, Ines, Ayanna, and Amari can get some playing time between now and the big Tournament, they might be usefull in resting the primary players during these games.

Reaction Score
I was also at the game and I agree with much of what has been said above. Lou was absolutely pushed, shoved and bumped. It was a fun game to be at the girls played their hearts out. It was a winnable game which was very encouraging..they have a few things to clean up..then watch out! It was a reminder of how talented this UCONN team is!

Reaction Score
Agree with all the comments about the refs but there is one thing we could do better. UConn typically runs around picks, often without running the defender into a pick. Some players are better than others at fully using a pick. Running into Edwards a few times would slow most players down the second time they saw her coming.

Reaction Score
Agree with all the comments about the refs but there is one thing we could do better. UConn typically runs around picks, often without running the defender into a pick. Some players are better than others at fully using a pick. Running into Edwards a few times would slow most players down the second time they saw her coming.
I thought she was being physically restrained from running which was the problem. They deliberately held Lou. Once Geno got the T her defender mysteriously stopped. Why? Because she knew it would be watched. It was pathetic.

Reaction Score
Yes, the biggest mistake, even at the highest level is the cutter or ballhandler not waiting for the pick to get to them before they move. You see Lou with that lean, almost horizontal to the floor. She can stay erect, in an athletic position, able to cut either way and then use the screen when it gets to her, which also creates pick and roll action and the screener shows to the ball.

Reaction Score
So many players don't run the defender off the pick properly. Either they leave too big a gap or when dribbling they don't start below the pick. That's not just UCONN. I see it every game.... men and women.

Reaction Score
I was at the game yesterday. A friends wife couldnt make it so he asked me to go and it was great. Even greater while we were at the game his daughters water broke and she had a baby girl. Now to the game. UConn started off with Nika and The Griff scoring. Dawn made the adjustments and things changed in the 2nd qtr. UConn played with heart guts and determination. A couple of problems one being no bench and foul trouble left us defenseless and still we found a way to score and hang in there. Second when in foul trouble we had Aaliyah on the bench and she still scored over 20 pts. With Aaliyah on the benh we had lost some offense and no offense off the bench left us vunerable. The refs allowed pushing bumping and grabbing. SC took advantage of that and I dont think UConn did. Cardoso imo made a huge difference as she could shoot over us and was another rebounder.

THE TECHNICAL. I was sitting there and screamed as Lou was on the opposite side of the floor and made a move to get up top and was grabbed and bumped. I yelled call a foul and at the same time Geno was called for the T. Geno had had enough. It wasnt a smart thing to do at that point in the game however when your player is being knocked off her feet, loosing her balance, something has to be said. Sitting there in person and watching the bumping pushing and grabbing and no calls was horrific. But thats the way they called the game. I remember the same thing happened to Diana when she played and Paige. This caused Lou to rush her shots. Lets face it, I dont think this will change throughout the season.

We fought hard and looking at the box score we played a great game. I realized that SC's offense is pass the ball inside and try and get a shot and if they miss they get the rebound. Too many times we had our hands on a rebound and with the pushing and shoving underneath we lost our balance and SC ended up with the ball. I saw the same thing happen to Lou when she was bumped and shoved she too lost her balance. How do we counter that? Well if thats the way the game is being called we can do it to our opponents however with a short bench that is risky so maybe not a smart move.

Overall we played a great great game. Not a perfect game but a great game. As we were walking out of the Civic Center we were talking about when Caroline and Azzi get back. That will be a huge difference being we will have players who can score and give a rest to those on the floor. It will also help to open things up and spread defenses. Understand SC has been playing pretty much the same way all season and that most likely wont change. How do we counter that? Fresh bodies, a deeper bench, and more scorers. I didnt think SC's offense was good but their rebounding made up for it with second and third opportunities. I though UConn was much quicker then SC too.

The only things we can change if we meet SC again is what we do. You can be critical of the refs, and the way SC plays. The only thing we can control is ourselves. So if the game is called allowing a push and shove and bump we have to adjust to our opponents.

So next is Marquette and I expect the same type of defense. Push shove and bump Lou all over the court. This is what it has come too. How do you stop that. Maybe when shes bumped hard and looses her balance she should fall down a couple of times until a foul is called or do something else to draw the refs attention. If you want this to stop you have to make changes.

UConn is a depleted team that is really really good and will only get better when Caroline and Azzi are back healthy.
Great post Tony, but let me ask if the refs were letting them play (meaning both teams), how come Edwards ended up with 4 fouls early 3rd quarter, and how come Dorka was called for a phantom foul under the basket that Geno went berserk watching? I also saw touch fouls called on several UConn players where there wasn’t any. The only time the refs “let them play” was when South Carolina was on defense. Referees in women’s college basketball are reminding me of the NFL more and more everyday.

Kat

Reaction Score
Basketball is a beautiful game when played right. That's why I'm a fan of this team. South Carolina's style of knocking people around, grabbing and holding opponents, getting the ball into the post for someone to chuck at the rim while everyone plays full-contact volleyball is not what I want to watch. I hope this style is not going to be emulated by other programs but if it gets a championship I guess some coaches will opt for it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well said. Worthy of Marcus Aurelius.
Marc Anthony: Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!

Guy in the crowd: Well and that’s a strange thing for a guy giving a speech to ask. I mean, if we lent him our years, how would we hear what he was saying?

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Nan mentioned that the floor level of the XL Center, especially in games like this, is incredibly loud. If earplugs help her minimize effects of sound, then it's not a big deal. I'm not sure if she was wearing them in Providence, so that's a decent comparison.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Thanks Tony. Great report. I always like reading first hand reports from posters that were at the game. You see a much different game than we do watching on TV. You said..."no bench and foul trouble left us defenseless and still we found a way to score and hang in there." That scenario will bring down any team, not just UConn. While I don't relish a "moral victory", this IMO was one. One that under the circumstances I can live with.

We didn't embarrass ourselves, but IMO just the opposite, we held our own under the most dire of circumstances, and only loss by 4.
A 4 point loss to THIS team is nothing to be ashamed of, or upset about. SC came in at full strength (with size, depth, experience and speed) and on a 28 game win streak dating back to last year. IMO, the best team we'll see all year.

I'm personally happy to have this game behind us, and that none of our players suffered any new or reaggravated injuries. I don't care where we're ranked. Who cares about what someone outside of UConn Nation thinks of us. We're confident in own own skin. We know who we are and where we are. We just need to play these last 7 games, stay healthy and get ready for the conference and NCAA tournaments.

This was a good final test before the tournaments coming up in less than 3 weeks. Hopefully we can get one or both of our players back in the next 2 weeks currently on the disabled list. If not, we'll have to dance with who we bring, and see how far we can go. The sun rose again this morning, and UConn's future looks bright. I'm excited about playing the rest of our conference games and the ensuing tournaments. It should be fun. :) Go Huskies

Reaction Score
Thanks Tony. Great report. I always like reading first hand reports from posters that were at the game. You see a much different game than we do watching on TV. You said..."no bench and foul trouble left us defenseless and still we found a way to score and hang in there." That scenario will bring down any team, not just UConn. While I don't relish a "moral victory", this IMO was one. One that under the circumstances I can live with.

We didn't embarrass ourselves, but IMO just the opposite, we held our own under the most dire of circumstances, and only loss by 4.
A 4 point loss to THIS team is nothing to be ashamed of, or upset about. SC came in at full strength (with size, depth, experience and speed) and on a 28 game win streak dating back to last year. IMO, the best team we'll see all year.

I'm personally happy to have this game behind us, and that none of our players suffered any new or reaggravated injuries. I don't care where we're ranked. Who cares about what someone outside of UConn Nation thinks of us. We're confident in own own skin. We know who we are and where we are. We just need to play these last 7 games, stay healthy and get ready for the conference and NCAA tournaments.

This was a good final test before the tournaments coming up in less than 3 weeks. Hopefully we can get one or both of our players back in the next 2 weeks currently on the disabled list. If not, we'll have to dance with who we bring, and see how far we can go. The sun rose again this morning, and UConn's future looks bright. I'm excited about playing the rest of our conference games and the ensuing tournaments. It should be fun. :) Go Huskies
I thought about starting a thread with the idea that it was BETTER for UConn to lose this game rather than win it. Heck we moved up in the poll this morning.

Reaction Score
I always find it interesting when people weigh in about the T. Was it a good time for it, was it stupid, was it what cost us the game, etc. We will never know. Did we notice and uptake in fouls being called on South Carolina after Geno was T-ed up? Not really because it was the end of the game. If I am not mistaken there were five fouls called on South Carlina after Geno got his T. Were the refs more open to calling the fouls after that? Of course the refs missed things that were plain as day. That hand off should haunt them for years to come.

But to sit there and make a statement that the T was stupid or anything else is difficult. I mean he was T-ed up because he was defending his players, he was looking out for their well being. He made them know that he cares about that and that he did not think what was happening to them was fair or right. To me, that helps foster the relationship where these young ladies will travel all the way to Mordor to throw a ring in a volcano if Geno asked them to. Because he made sure they knew he cares.... for that reason it could never be a stupid of senseless T.

Just this one persons honest opinion on the issue. I know we are all entitled to our opinions, and hopefully you will see that mine is sound.

Reaction Score
Gonna go on a bit, but I need to get it out about the poor officiating!
Maybe UCONN deserved every foul called on them, but,,,,
Anyone disagreeing with 'why' the refs are not calling the fouls on SC, can go look back at last year's NCAA tournament!
SC had more foul shots then every team they played against in the NCAA's, but the worst part was in every game, they were the far more physical team.
Now you might say the better team gets more fouls, but every game by the more physical team, and by so much, give me a break!!!
In last years final, SC was allowed to manhandle UCONN, and the refs 'rewarded SC' with 22 more foul shots then UCONN!
'22' more fouls shots in the finals! That has to be a record!
Yesterday a home game for UCONN, and the refs only gave SC 11 more foul shots in a 4 pt UCONN loss.
Like I said in the beginning, maybe UCONN deserved every foul, but the questions are,,, how many fouls should the more physical SC have had called on them, and why weren't they?
It's just not good enough to make excuses like its their league and they all go inside, blah blah blah! Or you gotta adjust, that's 'bull you know what' excuses for poor officiating!
Call the game fair both ways!
And so far it hasn't been the last 2 times these 2 teams played!
I'm not saying the results would change, but these young women on both teams deserve a fair game called by the refs!
BTW thru all this, I as a UCONN fan still like SC, and their coach, who I think is a class act along with Geno!

Reaction Score
I always find it interesting when people weigh in about the T. Was it a good time for it, was it stupid, was it what cost us the game, etc. We will never know. Did we notice and uptake in fouls being called on South Carolina after Geno was T-ed up? Not really because it was the end of the game. If I am not mistaken there were five fouls called on South Carlina after Geno got his T. Were the refs more open to calling the fouls after that? Of course the refs missed things that were plain as day. That hand off should haunt them for years to come.

But to sit there and make a statement that the T was stupid or anything else is difficult. I mean he was T-ed up because he was defending his players, he was looking out for their well being. He made them know that he cares about that and that he did not think what was happening to them was fair or right. To me, that helps foster the relationship where these young ladies will travel all the way to Mordor to throw a ring in a volcano if Geno asked them to. Because he made sure they knew he cares.... for that reason it could never be a stupid of senseless T.

Just this one persons honest opinion on the issue. I know we are all entitled to our opinions, and hopefully you will see that mine is sound.
Well they knew one thing, their officiating was gonna be discussed as well it should be!

Reaction Score

I'm fine with your sentiments but Geno's execution was amiss. He even said it was stupid.
Coaches get T's when the opponent has the ball. Period. And throwing anything on the court is definitely crossing the line.
If it's a duck call it a duck. Poor judgment! Poor execution! Hurt his team. Basically game over after that.

Reaction Score

You know if we did the things they do to us, #1, Geno wouldn’t allow it, because #2, refs would still only call it on us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom