I think we should consider staying with this line up | The Boneyard

I think we should consider staying with this line up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
and moving Ryan to 6th man. We just moved the ball so well--when we have Ryan and Napier in there together--there is too much pounding of the ball. I certainly dont want to penalize Ryan for missing a game-but rather it might be in Ryan's best interests as well to move to 6th man as we could use more of a punch coming off the bench.

Reaction Score
Ryan is the only other guy on the team with a legit handle.

Reaction Score
and moving Ryan to 6th man. We just moved the ball so well--when we have Ryan and Napier in there together--there is too much pounding of the ball. I certainly dont want to penalize Ryan for missing a game-but rather it might be in Ryan's best interests as well to move to 6th man as we could use more of a punch coming off the bench.
I'm going to go ahead and say what I think should be smack-in-our-faces obvious.

Temple was horrible. Just horrible. They flat out sucked. They will be very much in the competition for worst in the AAC this year.

It would be very unwise to make rotation decisions based on how we did against Temple. I've seen more defense at NBA all star games.

Don't underestimate the importance of Boat. The kid can handle the rock, and, while Giffy and Calhoun and Daniels looked workable off the dribble against Temple, that won't be the case against better competition. Mark it down.

Reaction Score
I'm going to go ahead and say what I think should be smack-in-our-faces obvious.

Temple was horrible. Just horrible. They flat out sucked. They will be very much in the competition for worst in the AAC this year.

It would be very unwise to make rotation decisions based on how we did against Temple. I've seen more defense at NBA all star games.

Don't underestimate the importance of Boat. The kid can handle the rock, and, while Giffy and Calhoun and Daniels looked workable off the dribble against Temple, that won't be the case against better competition. Mark it down.

What I watched was a team which *rebounded* the ball MUCH better--had much better ball movement--had MORE size on defense. This was not a great team we played--but take a hard look at their schedule--this was blowout #1 for them. They played tight with Cincy Texas Memphis among others. Moving Boatright to 6th man makes a ton of sense--hes still going to get 25 minutes and would be able to come in fresh when others are tired. Im not a big fan of starting 2 6 footers who dribble too much--it has shown at times. I like the team we had out there and should explore keeping it. To me Ryan is abetter fit for 6th man and we can move Calhoun to 7.

Reaction Score
TEMPLE...We played TEMPLE. Of course our offense looked great.

Reaction Score
Yes Temple sucked but they don't suck…….our guys pushed them hard in the face and fought, won loose balls and made tons of shots. They fought back in the 2nd half and cut it to 12 and they looked good, played tougher while making that run. Maybe our guys took the fight out of them it happens……..they lost 72% of their scoring from last year. They've played some real good games and have had some disasters. Still, I'd like to think our Huskies had a lot to do with the results……..

I seem to remember a similar incident for us vs Houston and I know our guys don't suck!

Reaction Score
scrappy2.0 said:
What I watched was a team which *rebounded* the ball MUCH better--had much better ball movement--had MORE size on defense. This was not a great team we played--but take a hard look at their schedule--this was blowout #1 for them. They played tight with Cincy Texas Memphis among others. Moving Boatright to 6th man makes a ton of sense--hes still going to get 25 minutes and would be able to come in fresh when others are tired. Im not a big fan of starting 2 6 footers who dribble too much--it has shown at times. I like the team we had out there and should explore keeping it. To me Ryan is abetter fit for 6th man and we can move Calhoun to 7.

All four of our FF teams have had two 6-foolish dribblers (Bazz didn't start, so that's a caveat to 2011, but Olander would come out and we'd go small almost immediately). The teams that were upset (Miss State, NC State, George Mason, San Diego) did not, due to injuries to Ricky/AJ.

Doesn't necessarily prove that for this year. However, my concern for cutting Boat's minutes is that good teams will throw heavy pressure/traps at Bazz and wear him out, or force him to give up the ball into the hands of guys who aren't good at making plays. I don't want LK/NG/OC/DD to be attacking the teeth of Louisville's defense. Maybe they looked better against 5-12 Temple, but against top notch athletes, none of those guys are good play makers - they need to keep things simple. Rip, Ray or Lamb out there on the wing is a different story.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
No. Kromah can't dribble.

Bazz, Boat, Giff, DD, Brimah

Reaction Score
All four of our FF teams have had two 6-foolish dribblers (Bazz didn't start, so that's a caveat to 2011, but Olander would come out and we'd go small almost immediately). The teams that were upset (Miss State, NC State, George Mason, San Diego) did not, due to injuries to Ricky/AJ.

Doesn't necessarily prove that for this year. However, my concern for cutting Boat's minutes is that good teams will throw heavy pressure/traps at Bazz and wear him out, or force him to give up the ball into the hands of guys who aren't good at making plays. I don't want LK/NG/OC/DD to be attacking the teeth of Louisville's defense. Maybe they looked better against 5-12 Temple, but against top notch athletes, none of those guys are good play makers - they need to keep things simple. Rip, Ray or Lamb out there on the wing is a different story.

Big difference between teams of the past and now in terms of rebounding and defense. Both Boatright and Napier are ball dominant guards--each tends to bounce the ball into the floor too much and when they do it together--we tend to sit out on the perimeter and have trouble getting ball movement. Staring Kromah and Giffy over Boat is NOT a condemnation on Ryan. It's really about defense rebounding ball movement AND moving more scoring punch to the bench with a true 6th man. I think the 6th man role is perfect for RB--25 minutes. He can come in at the 5-6 minute mark as an energizer player and scorer. Starting Kromah and Giffey immediately helps our rebounding--our number 1 problem. We also have better ball movement and were bigger on D. We won convincingly using this line up--does it make sense to try it out atkeast one more time--what is the harm--that it might just be a superior line up?

Reaction Score

Pretty sure lk's biggest strength is attacking the basket see thevend of the memphid gam3. Does need work on the handle though. Kind of late in the season to change the lineup again but I tj I nk boat would be a great sixth man like a jason terry with the ultimate green light which is what he wants anyway his ball handling is needed but he does at times stagnate the offense with all that dribbling instead of moving the ball around

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Boat is the only other one averaging double figures besides bazz. Daniels has too but he's more hit or miss. Everyone besides boat and bazz stay on the outside more, those two penetrate and his on ball defense is great IMO. The starting line up needs to be bazz boat kromah dd and brimah with giff the first one off the bench depending on fouls etc
Big difference between teams of the past and now in terms of rebounding and defense. Both Boatright and Napier are ball dominant guards--each tends to bounce the ball into the floor too much and when they do it together--we tend to sit out on the perimeter and have trouble getting ball movement. Staring Kromah and Giffy over Boat is NOT a condemnation on Ryan. It's really about defense rebounding ball movement AND moving more scoring punch to the bench with a true 6th man. I think the 6th man role is perfect for RB--25 minutes. He can come in at the 5-6 minute mark as an energizer player and scorer. Starting Kromah and Giffey immediately helps our rebounding--our number 1 problem. We also have better ball movement and were bigger on D. We won convincingly using this line up--does it make sense to try it out atkeast one more time--what is the harm--that it might just be a superior line up?

Reaction Score
I have not been a big Boat fan over his career, but he played outstanding man to man D on Russ Smith Saturday night when he was on him. When Boat isn't gambling for steals, and just playing tough, he's a very good defender.

The whole of this team is still not at the sum of the parts. KO still has work to do to figure it out himself and then get the players to understand it. But it's going to happen with Boat starting. Who finishes, however, will depend (and we saw games OOC where Boat was not always on the floor in the last two minutes).

Reaction Score
It's unpopular but the OP is sort of right . If anything boatrights high assist% would be even better on the second unit. kromah is an emerging playmaker, though he has had lapses. the idea that he can't dribble is erroneous. ofcourse benching boatright isn't even feasible , it would most likely crush him.
But both Giffey and boat need 25 mpg

Reaction Score
Boat is the only other one averaging double figures besides bazz. Daniels has too but he's more hit or miss. Everyone besides boat and bazz stay on the outside more, those two penetrate and his on ball defense is great IMO. The starting line up needs to be bazz boat kromah dd and brimah with giff the first one off the bench depending on fouls etc
Daniels averages double figures and is a more consistent scorer than Boat (DD has 4 single digit games, Boat has 6).

I agree with what has been said that you cannot judge the team off the Temple game, they are atrocious and one of worst ranked defensive teams in the country, but I do not think the OP is necessarily wrong but it aint happening.

Reaction Score
ofcourse benching boatright isn't even feasible , it would most likely crush him.
I first note that I don't believe that Boat should be benched - his ballhandling does a lot to protect Shabazz, and only Temple sucking so bad prevented that from being obvious. Kromah's handle is good, not great. If we have Bazz as the only true ball handler, his O work load increases. Don't underestimate the intangible value Boat provides taking pressure off of Bazz to constantly handle the ball.

I second note that I don't believe you well understand the nature of the man whom we discuss.

Benching Boat wouldn't crush him - it would enrage and motivate him, despite being the wrong move. I have little doubt that Boat's response to being put on the 2nd string would be to play with even more passion and intensity, as hard as that is to imagine.

Boat starts, as long as he is here, and that's good.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
What I watched was a team which *rebounded* the ball MUCH better--had much better ball movement--had MORE size on defense. This was not a great team we played--but take a hard look at their schedule--this was blowout #1 for them. <snip>
Blowout #1 was Detroit, 101-55. Blowout #2 was Maine, 95-68. Blowout #3 was UCF, 84-61. That's if you define a blow out as 20+. If you decide it's 17+, there are three more. While Temple is the best of the bunch at an RPI of 168, taking too much from beating Temple and how that looks according to the lineup is a long shot.

Boat brings it every night. He makes mistakes, but those have gotten fewer and fewer. His defense has been solid. There's no reason that anybody on the current roster should start over him other than Napier.

Reaction Score
Blowout #1 was Detroit, 101-55. Blowout #2 was Maine, 95-68. Blowout #3 was UCF, 84-61. That's if you define a blow out as 20+. If you decide it's 17+, there are three more. While Temple is the best of the bunch at an RPI of 168, taking too much from beating Temple and how that looks according to the lineup is a long shot.

Boat brings it every night. He makes mistakes, but those have gotten fewer and fewer. His defense has been solid. There's no reason that anybody on the current roster should start over him other than Napier.

No Temple being blown out. Temple is not the pushover that is purported.

Reaction Score

Sure they are. Temple is currently sandwiched between Iona and Cal Poly Pomona in terms of RPI, and below schools like Elon, Towson, and North Texas. They are just bad.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Come on - you're stretching here. They are 0-6 in conference. They had one close game they lost to a decent team (Texas). They are 5-16. They are 1-9 in their last 10 game with a win over LIU Brooklyn Birds, rpi 286 at home.

Losses:
@Home vs USF rpi 160
@ UCF rpi 211
@ Home vs Rutgers rpi 184
@ Home vs Texan Southern Tigers (HTF?) rpi 304
@ Towsen rpi 161
@ Home vs Kent St rpi 173

6 losses vs teams over 150 in the RPI, 4 of those at home. They lost at home to the #304 rpi team. How are they not a push over?

Reaction Score
I first note that I don't believe that Boat should be benched - his ballhandling does a lot to protect Shabazz, and only Temple sucking so bad prevented that from being obvious. Kromah's handle is good, not great. If we have Bazz as the only true ball handler, his O work load increases. Don't underestimate the intangible value Boat provides taking pressure off of Bazz to constantly handle the ball.

I second note that I don't believe you well understand the nature of the man whom we discuss.

Benching Boat wouldn't crush him - it would enrage and motivate him, despite being the wrong move. I have little doubt that Boat's response to being put on the 2nd string would be to play with even more passion and intensity, as hard as that is to imagine.

Boat starts, as long as he is here, and that's good.

Moving Boat to 6th man isnt benching him--its putting him in best position to succeed

Reaction Score
Come on - you're stretching here. They are 0-6 in conference. They had one close game they lost to a decent team (Texas). They are 5-16. They are 1-9 in their last 10 game with a win over LIU Brooklyn Birds, rpi 286 at home.

Losses:
@Home vs USF rpi 160
@ UCF rpi 211
@ Home vs Rutgers rpi 184
@ Home vs Texan Southern Tigers (HTF?) rpi 304
@ Towsen rpi 161
@ Home vs Kent St rpi 173

6 losses vs teams over 150 in the RPI, 4 of those at home. They lost at home to the #304 rpi team. How are they not a push over?

Margin of loss in every single game is less than 5 on average combined. This was their first blowout loss

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Margin of loss in every single game is less than 5 on average combined. This was their first blowout loss
I'm not sure why I'm bothering anymore, I don't think your mind will ever be changed.

Losing by less than 5 to 6 teams outside the RPI 150, 4 of them at home, is not exactly an indication of a good team. I think that's what you meant by every single game, because they lost by 6 to La Salle, 11 to Cincy, 10 to Memphis, 7 to USF, 14 to Clemson, and 6 to Towson. This may be their first real blow out loss, but losing by even 1 to 6 teams over 150 in the RPI is just a bad team.

Temple sucks this year - it's pretty obvious.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thank god we didn't beat temple by only 10. Can you imagine the posts?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
All year long we have had 2 great players that kept us from being a less than mediocre team.(We have a 3rd player with great potential that shows up sometimes) Removing Boat based on beating Temple does not make sense. Our offense would really suffer and our defense would be diminished
I really like our supporting cast but don't confuse them with the ball handling and creating-his- own-shot abilities of Ryan. He is a top, consistent scorer, a good rebounder and a very good defender

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom