I think the season comes down to two things | Page 4 | The Boneyard

I think the season comes down to two things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Miller seems small. When Brimah helps or vs really good athletes, can he rebound? And can he defend? He is very little help to this team unless he can rebound amongst the other trees and he has to be able to play defense.
It remain to be seen how Miller translates what he did in the Ivy League to a higher level but I think he will be able to contribute rebounding and defense at UConn. Here's what his coach at Cornell said about him when he committed to UConn.

Miller is an elite defensive player and a “monster defensive rebounder,” according to Courtney. “He just goes and gets it. He’s got an incredible knack.”

“He’s 6-7 and can guard any position on the floor, from point guard to center,” the coach said. “He’s an elite-level defender. His offensive game has developed in his time at Cornell. He’s a terrific athlete and offensive/defensive rebounder....."

http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20150508/shonn-miller-was-wanted-and-needed-at-uconn

Reaction Score
It remain to be seen how Miller translates what he did in the Ivy League to a higher level but I think he will be able to contribute rebounding and defense at UConn. Here's what his coach at Cornell said about him when he committed to UConn.

Miller is an elite defensive player and a “monster defensive rebounder,” according to Courtney. “He just goes and gets it. He’s got an incredible knack.”

“He’s 6-7 and can guard any position on the floor, from point guard to center,” the coach said. “He’s an elite-level defender. His offensive game has developed in his time at Cornell. He’s a terrific athlete and offensive/defensive rebounder....."

http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20150508/shonn-miller-was-wanted-and-needed-at-uconn

The highlights I've seen on youtube he looks like he can compete well. Plus it seems like he has long arms. As you sya though - it remains to be seen how his game translates.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
This is not the thread for this, but you mentioned roles which is something i've been thinking about recently. here is what i envision at first blush.

Gibbs 30mpg-Run the O/hit your 3's/defend.
Purvis 29 mpg-Defensive bulldog/run at every chance/2nd option behind Hamilton
Hamilton 32 mpg-O runs through him/Quick, aggressive decisions/natural progression should be perfect.
Miller-27 mpg Glue guy/defend/rebound/do the little things/get 8-9 pts on dirty plays.
Brimah 30 mpg-D.D.D/PnR finisher-shouldnt need iso attempts, but 1-2 per half would be great
Adams 25 mpg-6th man/scoring punch/strong D/2nd ballhandler
Facey 12 mpg-No idea-rebound/defend, if he can get the J to 12-14 feet, him and AB can play without clogging the O
Calhoun 7mpg -doesnt have to do a lot/spread the floor
Nolan 8 mpg-Just come in, be smart, defend and rebound-same thing we've always asked in the same role-more mature player
Very well thought out. I can practically envision it. What you said with Hamiltion's natural progression will be key; plus an improved stroke from distance. If Purvis is consistently on and able to prove himself as the second weapon, I won't even begin to illustrate my cockiness level in this team. Gibbs and Adams.. add the fact th Miller may end up a reliable outside shooter and dominant rebounder (like hamiltion but bulkier) . This team has what it needs to be successful. Thanks to KO and co.. You can't tell me Nolan, Facey, and ENOCH won't improve as the season progresses; battles will be won and lost every day between the 5 bigs. Competition will be incredibly stiff b/t the 6 back-court guys as well. As long as Cassell and Calhoun make shots and contribute on D they will find their minutes. Words couldn't describe my perpetual state of anticipation for the upcoming season(maybthey just did). My only damper would be the lack of a regular season match up with Duke and the "#1 recruiting class" in the nation. If they added grad transfers, Ollies 2015 recruiting coup,UConn would have to be considered in the top five. Literally every major basketball need was met. It will come down to heart, defense, cohesiveness, and clutchness.

Reaction Score
Very well thought out. I can practically envision it. What you said with Hamiltion's natural progression will be key; plus an improved stroke from distance. If Purvis is consistently on and able to prove himself as the second weapon, I won't even begin to illustrate my cockiness level in this team. Gibbs and Adams.. add the fact th Miller may end up a reliable outside shooter and dominant rebounder (like hamiltion but bulkier) . This team has what it needs to be successful. Thanks to KO and co.. You can't tell me Nolan, Facey, and ENOCH won't improve as the season progresses; battles will be won and lost every day between the 5 bigs. Competition will be incredibly stiff b/t the 6 back-court guys as well. As long as Cassell and Calhoun make shots and contribute on D they will find their minutes. Words couldn't describe my perpetual state of anticipation for the upcoming season(maybthey just did). My only damper would be the lack of a regular season match up with Duke and the "#1 recruiting class" in the nation. If they added grad transfers, Ollies 2015 recruiting coup,UConn would have to be considered in the top five. Literally every major basketball need was met. It will come down to heart, defense, cohesiveness, and clutchness.

I don't see Purvis as the 2nd weapon. IMO he is 3rd. We have a 5th year senior from Seton Hall who will have the ball in had hands a lot- I see him as a more dangerous weapon. And I don't think as a Soph Hamilton can be consistently 1st weapon. That's okay- imo you need 3 weapons - we have them.

Then between Calhoun,Adams, Brimah and Miller (maybe Cassell and our other forward) each one can step up as weapon if any of the other are off.

Reaction Score
The depth of strategic basketball knowledge on the BY is staggering.
Or is that just their physical condition.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
I don't see Purvis as the 2nd weapon. IMO he is 3rd. We have a 5th year senior from Seton Hall who will have the ball in had hands a lot- I see him as a more dangerous weapon. And I don't think as a Soph Hamilton can be consistently 1st weapon. That's okay- imo you need 3 weapons - we have them.

Then between Calhoun,Adams, Brimah and Miller (maybe Cassell and our other forward) each one can step up as weapon if any of the other are off.
Agree 100%. The best part about landing Gibbs is that Hamilton won't have to consistently be the 1st weapon. I'm looking for Purvis to build off of the way he ended last season with confidence and assertiveness. If he does and Hamilton fills out a bit more and starts shooting with rip like confidence, plus gibbs comes in and adapts his fantastic game for team oriented winning ball, we will have a 3 headed monster with a shot blocking juggernaut on the other end. I'm optimistic the addition of Jalen Adams will assure that we don't see the massive drop off in quality once the starters go out that we saw this past season.

Reaction Score
Depending on how we're using the term "weapon," I'm not sure I agree.

I'd bet, still, that Purvis will be our leading scorer. He doesn't have the passing ability of Hamilton or Gibbs, so the offense won't run through him the way it may through the two of them. In that sense, maybe their bigger weapons. But Purvis found consistency, and I don't think anyone can stop him, especially when you won't be able to sag off him or help off our 4 this year.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I think we are ignoring the fact that our failure to make the NCAAs last season was all "Johnnie Time" Selvie's fault.

Reaction Score

I'd bet, still, that Purvis will be our leading scorer. He doesn't have the passing ability of Hamilton or Gibbs, so the offense won't run through him the way it may through the two of them. In that sense, maybe their bigger weapons. But Purvis found consistency, and I don't think anyone can stop him, especially when you won't be able to sag off him or help off our 4 this year.

I don;t see this happening. Because it appears the pg will have the ball a ton and Hamilton a ton - - and I think Purvis's outside shot will still be a bit erratic, I see him as number 3 if we are to be very, very successful. If he moves up in the scoring ranks of 1st- then I don't look for a strong season from UCONN. IMO the leading socrer on your team has to be able to make elite type of decisions. I have yet to see that as a strength from Purvis.

I think ti can be a strength from a 5 year pg. And Hamilton, he looks like he can pass very well for his size and I'm expecting that soph jump.

Reaction Score
I don;t see this happening. Because it appears the pg will have the ball a ton and Hamilton a ton - - and I think Purvis's outside shot will still be a bit erratic, I see him as number 3 if we are to be very, very successful. If he moves up in the scoring ranks of 1st- then I don't look for a strong season from UCONN. IMO the leading socrer on your team has to be able to make elite type of decisions. I have yet to see that as a strength from Purvis.

I think ti can be a strength from a 5 year pg. And Hamilton, he looks like he can pass very well for his size and I'm expecting that soph jump.
Purvis averaged 17ppg in March against the best opponents. He can score.

We'll see, and this isn't something that really matters to me. I just think if we win a title, Hamilton will be our best player and Purvis our leading scorer.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

I see gibbs being the floor general and having the ability to score and bail us out when need be. We have weapons surrounding him that if he can just run the offense and get guys where they'll be most effective well be solid. This team seems assembled to be one of the fast break on offense and in your face full court pressure

Reaction Score
Purvis averaged 17ppg in March against the best opponents. He can score.

We'll see, and this isn't something that really matters to me. I just think if we win a title, Hamilton will be our best player and Purvis our leading scorer.

Sure he can score-- as our 3rd option. Daniels was our 3rd option two years ago.

But in March -- we were .500. Purvcis's decision-making in 8 games resulted in 11 assists and 20 turnovers-- and it's not like he was playing against Duke. IMO you are not going to get winning performances consistently from a sg that isn't much of a decision-maker.

I'm hopeful Hamilton and Gibbs are 1/a and 1b - don't care about the order.

IMO it would be a mistake to assume Purvis is "Rip." Not saying you are saying that -- but I just don't see him consistently making winning plays as the top scorer. I think championship caliber teams have a legit triple threat as their top scorer - at least UCONN's last 2 were. That's the formula I'd like to see. Our experience with our 5th year sr in Gibbs and the talented soph Hamilton as 1 and 2. Maybe one of them can be 3rd scorer behind Purvis but imo not both.

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
But in March -- we were .500. Purvcis's decision-making in 8 games resulted in 11 assists and 20 turnovers-- and it's not like he was playing against Duke. IMO you are not going to get winning performances consistently from a sg that isn't much of a decision-maker.

Please tell me you're not putting our late-season losses all on Purvis. We didn't come up short at the end of the regular season because he stepped out of bounds. There were other problems with this team, which have been discussed here ad nauseam.

Reaction Score
Please tell me you're not putting our late-season losses all on Purvis. We didn't come up short at the end of the regular season because he stepped out of bounds. There were other problems with this team, which have been discussed here ad nauseam.

I'm not.

But I'm not putting his 17 ppg on a pedestal that would imply that he is going to be "the man" as the top scorer for a top-tier team.

I mentioned more than once on here that he doesn't make decisions make well enough to be the top scorer. That in no way meant "it was his fault that we weren't that good." It's just that his 17 ppg isn't as good as some might think. Many bad teams have a scorer that averaged 17 ppg and it doesn't mean that 17 ppg scorer in the last8 games is going to be the top scorer for a title contender the next year.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I'm not.

But I'm not putting his 17 ppg on a pedestal that would imply that he is going to be "the man" as the top scorer for a top-tier team.

I mentioned more than once on here that he doesn't make decisions make well enough to be the top scorer. That in no way meant "it was his fault that we weren't that good." It's just that his 17 ppg isn't as good as some might think. Many bad teams have a scorer that averaged 17 ppg and it doesn't mean that 17 ppg scorer in the last8 games is going to be the top scorer for a title contender the next year.

It is possible to be a fan of Rodney's progress while not seeing him as being ready (yet) to be the "go to" guy. I'm not sure that Hamilton will be ready for that role either. The best scenario would be if Sterling can get the support of the team to be the leader, with Jalen playing the Bazz to Kemba role (so to speak, not saying Gibbs will be at Kemba level). Rodney and dham take what's given as the PG's try to set them up for good shots. Daniel gets the ball and sets up others when available. I could see Rodney leading the scoring in many games, but Gibbs (and maybe Jalen later on) having the ball at crunch time.

Reaction Score
It is possible to be a fan of Rodney's progress while not seeing him as being ready (yet) to be the "go to" guy. I'm not sure that Hamilton will be ready for that role either. The best scenario would be if Sterling can get the support of the team to be the leader, with Jalen playing the Bazz to Kemba role (so to speak, not saying Gibbs will be at Kemba level). Rodney and dham take what's given as the PG's try to set them up for good shots. Daniel gets the ball and sets up others when available. I could see Rodney leading the scoring in many games, but Gibbs (and maybe Jalen later on) having the ball at crunch time.

No. I don't see the Adams point. First off DHam was an a/a and looked real good - at times looks special. I can't see Adams getting the ball over DHam on a consistent level. I look at Adams as a hopeful upgrade as ot what Napeir was as a freshman.

Reaction Score
No. I don't see the Adams point. First off DHam was an a/a and looked real good - at times looks special. I can't see Adams getting the ball over DHam on a consistent level. I look at Adams as a hopeful upgrade as ot what Napeir was as a freshman.

I would have to say while Bazz was a wonderful 2nd guard to Kemba by seasons end the comparison coming in stops there. Jalen has more ability coming in than either Bazz or Boat and should be equal to that of Kemba at least. That's why the Gibbs addition is so critical to his growth his first year, although he may surprise and eventually make our lest lineup the 2 of them in the game.

Reaction Score
I would have to say while Bazz was a wonderful 2nd guard to Kemba by seasons end the comparison coming in stops there. Jalen has more ability coming in than either Bazz or Boat and should be equal to that of Kemba at least. That's why the Gibbs addition is so critical to his growth his first year, although he may surprise and eventually make our lest lineup the 2 of them in the game.

Okay -- I can definitely see a Kemba comparison. It's been too long in that I can't remember what Kemba was thought of in h/s in terms rating and once he came here other than I remember he was an a/a and Adams falls a bit short. Thouhg Admas "is right there " I love the fact he is a scorer. Anyhow - Kemba -like any freshman was up and down - primarily up. I think if I recall he was sensational vs Missouri in E8 and then laid a dud in FF. Frosh tend to do - didn't help he was playing Mich State in Mich. I think the Mich State pg in Michigan badly ouptlayed him I think. Of course over their careers Kemba certainly got the upper-hand.

I'm with you about Adams needing/having that season to grow. But you bring up an interesting point - not arguing here-- but to the point in bold. I definitely see them playing together at times *he may really bthe 6th man) if for example Omar can't cut being a sg and is only a sf, and Cassell doesn't cut it. But if Adams and Giibs are our best -- then what do you project to possibly be our best lineup in this instance?

Point guard "A" --- Gibbs, Point Guard "B" -- Adams, SF-- Purvis, PF --- DHam and Center - - Brimah?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
larrier battling with purvis, adams, gibbs, hamilton, will only make everyone better...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom