I think the season comes down to two things | Page 3 | The Boneyard

I think the season comes down to two things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
aceboon said:
Brimah might be the most polarizing player in UConn history, discussion involving him also seems to expose posters who have no idea what they're watching out there on the court.

I'd argue that if Miller is the player we think he'll be on the boards and as a team defender, that Brimah can be pretty much the same player he was last year and we'll be fine. I'm hopeful that they'll complement each other well. Part of the problem was that Brimah's strengths as a defensive anchor were masked by our struggles at finishing off defensive possessions (with rebounds or with stopping the secondary options after Brimah shut off the first option).

Of course, a little improvement out of AB would be nice too.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I'd argue that if Miller is the player we think he'll be on the boards and as a team defender, that Brimah can be pretty much the same player he was last year and we'll be fine. I'm hopeful that they'll complement each other well. Part of the problem was that Brimah's strengths as a defensive anchor were masked by our struggles at finishing off defensive possessions (with rebounds or with stopping the secondary options after Brimah shut off the first option).

Of course, a little improvement out of AB would be nice too.

I wish we had numbers on Opp 2nd chance points directly resultant of a missed block opportunity on the part of Brimah. This is a main point of contention from "the other camp" when it comes to AB. The question is, is it worth it to try to block every attempt? Sure the answer is 'picking your spots' when it comes to a block attempt, but Amida averaged 3.5 BPG last year and let's argue he alterned another 1.5 that lead to misses. So we have somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 pts per game prevented assuming 50% of those 5 attempts would have gone in. So there would need to be at least 3 offensive put back scores per game to offset that value, and we're being very conservative with the "presence effect".

The bonus kicker is that Brimah Blocks are essentially also live ball turnovers that allow us to get out in transition where our offensive efficiency is greater. So let's say we're generating an extra 2-3 pts offensively off of those 3.5 blocks per game than we otherwise would by getting into a run out.

As a fanbase we've been groomed on Calhoun defensive rebounding teams which always lead the country so watching the weakside glass exposed for easy buckets feels like they count for 4 points each, especially when we have a team prone to long droughts like last year. But I remember far more games that Amida took over for us (most recently when he changed the game against Cinci in the AAC tourney down the stretch by playing great D on Ellis) than games he gave away via 1,000 cuts on the defensive glass.

Reaction Score
two things
balls
Funny... I like that we will have mature upper classmen on the floor with Hamilton. We can date it to the cows come home but I like the lineup of:
Amida, DHam, Smiller, Purvis, Gibbs.
All these guys need to get the chemistry going thru the captain and make free throws!

I'm hoping for good shooting from Sterling, DHam and Rodney.

Honestly... I cannot wait to see Steve step outside and nail a 3... love a big guy that can make a 22 footer!

If we blend well by March we will rock a few boats.

I do like the Tevin Mack kid... he is Jeremy 2.0 in the making. I'd like to get him.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
How many more months of pointless speculation do we have left? Off season after an NIT washout is even worse than usual.

Reaction Score
I like that AB can go get it from DHAM but his shooting per is still somewhat suspect because of that. Kaminsky he ain't.

Reaction Score
I'm going with chemistry, intangibles...and confidence. Also heart, determination and grittiness. How will we perform in winning time? Can we get to level 5 (maybe even level 6)?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So we need him to be the NPOY now?
OK when it's said he has a high FG % it can't be compared to Okafor, Towns or many other centers who don't get the bulk of their points on alley oops. Nothing to do with him having to be anything. To get that FG he needed DHam. Can he get the ball by himself in the post and get anything close to that? No. And against better players prob not either. I hope he continues to get the easy ones but develops his own way to score inside. I don't expect Kareem to appear anytime soon, and he doesn't need to be for us to be successful anyway, but his FG % deserves qualification, no?

Reaction Score
I think the season comes down to two things. Offense and defense.

And coaching. Darn that's three things.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Brimah might be the most polarizing player in UConn history, discussion involving him also seems to expose posters who have no idea what they're watching out there on the court.
Brimah is not even the most polarizing player on this team. That would be Rodney. Then there was TSam before he left and Omar. In prior years you had Alex, Taliek, Jerome........

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I've banned myself from talking about Amida Brimah because frankly this entire board is driving me batty when it comes to the things they use to define his performance and the ways he impacts games that they choose to ignore. However, I can't 'not answer this question. Who cares?

It IS a unique skill to be able to quickly elevate (and therefor jump later) so that its easier to time a lob dunk. It's the same skill that makes AB an effective shot blocker. Amida goes and gets the ball anywhere in a large radius around the rim and finishes it. Sometimes he takes the ball down and lays it up reverse. He has an uncanny knack to finish round the rim even when the rim is behind him. You can't separate out the things he does well and his role in the back half of that connection. Yes Hamilton has to beat his man off the dribble and force the help defense but Amida is no slouch on the other end and its the way we are offensively designed to exploit both strengths.

Why this board is hell bent on minimizing Brimah's impact when he's on the court is beyond me. We all agree he needs to play smarter so that he can stay on the floor longer but I think its well over the line to minimize his top 5 in the country FG% because its just dunks.

We're not running the lob play for Phil.

I'll now return to biting my tongue.
Can't speak for others but my remarks about hoping to see improvement in AB's game were meant to distinguish a team that might make it to a sweet sixteen vs. winning it all. I've never been down on Brimah.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
@jibsey

I think the issue here is the context of your original reply.

Poster A says Amida has to improve over last year or we're in trouble.
Poster B says Amida shot in the high 60's last year at 10 ppg and that was plenty for what we need.
Then you say its a deceiving statline because all he's doing is finishing plays others create.

In the context of all points made, it suggests the manner in which Brimah scored efficiently somehow validates Poster A and not Poster B's rebuttal.

The point about playing down against the best competition is valid. Hopefully consistency against better competition is the growth.

Reaction Score
Brimah is not even the most polarizing player on this team. That would be Rodney. Then there was TSam before he left and Omar. In prior years you had Alex, Taliek, Jerome...

That's not close to being true. When TSam couldn't shoot or pass or dribble, he had very little impact on the game, same thing with Omar when he struggled. The difference with Brimah is that even with his struggles on the boards and with scoring in the post, it was obvious that he was a difference maker on the floor and UConn was a much better team with him out there because of his rim protection and the threat of blocking shots that might deter players from venturing inside. He also helped open things up on offensive because defenders have to stay attached to him or give up that lob off of penetration. There are posters on here who look at the boxscore and look at Brimah's line and say he has no positive impact on the game and that is just simply not the case, that's what makes him so polarizing.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
That's not close to being true. When TSam couldn't shoot or pass or dribble, he had very little impact on the game, same thing with Omar when he struggled. The difference with Brimah is that even with his struggles on the boards and with scoring in the post, it was obvious that he was a difference maker on the floor and UConn was a much better team with him out there because of his rim protection and the threat of blocking shots that might deter players from venturing inside. He also helped open things up on offensive because defenders have to stay attached to him or give up that lob off of penetration. There are posters on here who look at the boxscore and look at Brimah's line and say he has no positive impact on the game and that is just simply not the case, that's what makes him so polarizing.
I guess the difference in our opinions is that I would describe what you are saying as people being very inaccurate (which I agree with) vs. polarizing. For me polarizing comments are inflammatory comments vs. discussion of skill sets.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Brimah just needs to bulk up and learn how to box out/rebound. The only time he hurts the team when he's on the floor is when he's fouling like a madman or he watches his defender grab offensive rebounds from the weak side because he doesn't know how to box out.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
KO has to go back to being KO. After talking with some of the players it was clear the family matters effected him. He was rumored to have a much shorter temper this past season, which was also detrimental to the team.

Reaction Score
I can see dham being encouraged to make plays for his teammates when available, but I would say one key will be the degree that Gibbs can be the quarterback and run the offense. We really need someone who can attack a zone defense effectively and I think that has to be our PG. I have no idea how well Sterling can do that. Someone wrote that SHU played a lot of zone, so maybe that will help him to know how to attack it. Other teams have often gone to zone against UConn and we have struggled with it when we have not had a skilled point guard to break it down.

I didn't phrase it well because I wanted to keep each player to one line bc its god damn may, but what i mean is that he will have the most plays run for him and much of our offensive action (outside the PG/C PnR) will be focused on him. He will generally have the biggest mismatch both athletically and skill wise, so more so than anyone but AB, i expect his O to come in the half court off sets for him or iso's.

Purvis on the other hand, may end up 2nd in attempts and will certainly be running around screens to get those wing 3's and be put in the PnR, I just expect it more with Hamilton because he can distribute as well as score. Gibbs primary job other than nailing 3 3's/game on 44% is handling the ball/running sets/getting people involved, but I expect him to be more Price like-knowing when to pick his spots but always being conscious of getting the ball to AB/RP/DH.

I think Miller will fit in very well as he would not have committed without KO saying "RP/DH/JA/AB (and now gibbs) are all ahead of you for shots, you're here to rebound, defend and keep the D honest on the other end-he's going to be a glue guy and be good. Brimah, by virtue of being older and having a full off season will be better and the D was already far better with him on the court-having Miller to clean the glass AND chip in with rim protection will also make life much easier on guards who now have 2 competent defenders behind them. Brimah is not a dominant player all around and tends to beat up on weak opponents who just aren't athletically in his league-but he is ALWAYS an asset on D and even with no tangible skill development (which there will be) he will score 10 ppg.

I truly believe this teams biggest obstacles are Gibbs finding the score/distribute balance, Purvis embracing a stopper role on D and continuing his aggressive play from the end of the year and however much better Hamilton is with the game being a bit slower in his 2nd year. We had talent last year and i still think if we hold on against TX and Yale we win 5 more games, not just 2, because of the confidence the guys would have had. Instead it felt like all year they were trying to convince themselves they were a uconn-quality team instead of just playing ball. I DONT KNOW but I am bored so tell me how stupid i am.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
KO has to go back to being KO. After talking with some of the players it was clear the family matters effected him. He was rumored to have a much shorter temper this past season, which was also detrimental to the team.

This should go over well.

Reaction Score
I think outside shooting and rebounding killed us last year and we have to hope we improve in those 2 spots this year. If we can spread the floor with at least 2 solid three point threats, it opens up the court. Then guys can slash and dunk or pass (to insert bigman here). I think thats our game. Also getting out on fast breaks with good defense. Add in some solid rebounding so that we limit opponents second chances and get more chances on our end of the court and we'll have an amazing season. Easier said then done!

I agree with this. So with that said - OP spoke of two things
My vote for 2 keys is for the 2 newcomers Gibbs and Miller must produce big time. They relate to our need of outside shooting and rebounding. I haven't seen either play.

Gibbs MUST be able to shoot and not only that but must be a scorer from the outside. Really good teams will be able to key on Hamilton. He makes everyone's game much easier if he can be Nappier/Boatright. This team needs a Nappier/Boatright from the pg position.

Miller seems small. When Brimah helps or vs really good athletes, can he rebound? And can he defend? He is very little help to this team unless he can rebound amongst the other trees and he has to be able to play defense.

If these two guys can fill these two roles, then we become very dangerous. The tournaments are on a lot by guards. Formula - hold the fort with your bigs. Just have to compete / defend in there. Then look to win the game with your guards and wings. In order to win big games IMO Gibbs gotta be a real real good scorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom