I Think It Was Must Meant To Be, That Kelly. . . | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I Think It Was Must Meant To Be, That Kelly. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When mid-January comes, they will be equal to or better defensive rebounders and certainly better defenders of the opponents' Bigs.

Kelly is a better defensive rebounder and defender than either Michala or Kiah. On that basis alone neither one of them will start ahead of Kelly at any point this season.

Reaction Score
It does not matter what Geno prefers; it will be what the situation dictates. Last year I recall two frosh starters. Where was Geno's preference last year? He knows he cannot get to the final four without Kaleena's shooting and at least one more big on the floor with Stef. Will they start? I think so, but if they don't they will get at least 20 minutes playing time, each.

Exactly, Saral, Geno prefers the frosh of the bench to be coached up and to watch the game before they enter. It is part of the process of preparation and growth for the players, not simply a choice of the best player. KML's game time be plenty, starting will depend on whether like last night injury requires KML to start.

Reaction Score
Geno does not like to change the starting lineup. Excluding injuries, there are very few examples of his doing so.

And he definitely does NOT do situational starting. He will adjust minutes from game to game, but not who starts.

For Geno starting is based on work effort, loyalty, and experience.

Faris may be the hardest working player on the court, and she does all the things - cutting, screening, rebounding - that Geno values the most. She provides a good example for other players. She will continue to start.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
it seems that most people are agreeing more or less on the fact that Geno prefers not to start freshmen. too much pressure on them. often he's had no choice, but it's not his preference.

i think we can all agree that Stef, Bria and Tiff will start no matter what. some seem to think maybe Faris might come off the bench in favor of Doty. i really disagree with that and put Kelly on my list of kids who will start forever going forward for her career at UCONN.

IMHO it will come down to Caroline or KML. CD is chomping at the bit. but she keeps tweaking things that prevents her from being able to play. at some point Geno may just decide to bring her in at limited minutes off the bench. i still believe she's slated to start and that KML will be the FIRST player off the bench either at the 4 min mark, or if Geno decides to have a quick hook.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It does not matter what Geno prefers; it will be what the situation dictates. Last year I recall two frosh starters. Where was Geno's preference last year? He knows he cannot get to the final four without Kaleena's shooting and at least one more big on the floor with Stef. Will they start? I think so, but if they don't they will get at least 20 minutes playing time, each.

Saying that it doesn't matter what the head coach prefers is absolutely silly.

He had no other options last, this year he does. If things change then things change. He does not need another big on the court with Stef to make the final four. He didn't last year and doesn't now. The player we are replacing was 6'. KML is 6'. The rest is the same team that made it to the Final Four.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
He had now other options last, this year he does. If things change then things change. He does not need another big on the court with Stef to make the final four. He didn't last year and doesn't now. The player we are replacing was 6'. KML is 6'. The rest is the same team that made it to the Final Four.

All 6-footers are not created equal -- rebounding and interior defense remain question marks for this team. I mean that as a completely neutral statement; they could end up being good or they could be suspect in these areas against the better teams.

The other 6' player in question was a proven, elite rebounder and help defender in WCBB. The entering 6-footer one was an elite rebounder at the HS level but we don't yet know how strong she will be on the boards for us this year. Moreover, owing to how Geno deploys her on the floor, she may not find herself in position for as many rebounding opportunities as our departed 6-footer had, nor will she play as many minutes.

I still believe that someone besides Stef will have to step up in the areas of interior defense and rebounding, and in practice, I don't think that person will be KML, although she will do just fine at her position. If this does not happen, we are vulnerable to an upset that could prevent us from another Final Four appearance. If we do get it by next March, we might just go all the way. My two cents.

Reaction Score
Did we forget one of the 6 footers was the best college basketball player ever? How quickly we forget. Geno even says his team is incredibly small. He expresses concern playing against the ranked and NCCA tournament teams. Big someone or someones are needed when Stef gets into foul trouble and she will. When she need a rest; a big is needed. Did you notice; no God's gift to women's basketball on this year's team? Even Pollyanna agrees with this!

He had now other options last, this year he does. If things change then things change. He does not need another big on the court with Stef to make the final four. He didn't last year and doesn't now. The player we are replacing was 6'. KML is 6'. The rest is the same team that made it to the Final Four.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
In response to vctwbuff:

In 1999-2000, Paige Sauer lost her starting position at center to Kelly Schumacker. Both played their hearts out after the change. Shuey blocked nine Tennessee shots in the NC game.

Reaction Score
It does matter who starts at UConn, but not in the way people may naturally think. Geno wants his steadiest, most reliable people out there at the start. Morgan Valley didn't get a whole ton of minutes, but she started a lot of games. Geno trusted her basketball sense, her steadiness, her ability to help establish the game flow he wanted.

Kelly will get more minutes by far than Morgan, but she also has those same qualities that made Morgan a starter for Geno.

ABachelor6CR

Time Traveler
Reaction Score
Geno does not like to change the starting lineup. Excluding injuries, there are very few examples of his doing so.

And he definitely does NOT do situational starting. He will adjust minutes from game to game, but not who starts.

For Geno starting is based on work effort, loyalty, and experience.

Faris may be the hardest working player on the court, and she does all the things - cutting, screening, rebounding - that Geno values the most. She provides a good example for other players. She will continue to start.

Agreed!! Just like the great Casey Stengel once said...."I'd rather have a team of Billy Martins then Mickey Mantels."

ABachelor6CR

Time Traveler
Reaction Score
In response to vctwbuff:

In 1999-2000, Paige Sauer lost her starting position at center to Kelly Schumacker. Both played their hearts out after the change. Shuey blocked nine Tennessee shots in the NC game.

That was the wake up call Paige needed....she had been lackluster before that....

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
All 6-footers are not created equal -- rebounding and interior defense remain question marks for this team. I mean that as a completely neutral statement; they could end up being good or they could be suspect in these areas against the better teams.

The other 6' player in question was a proven, elite rebounder and help defender in WCBB. The entering 6-footer one was an elite rebounder at the HS level but we don't yet know how strong she will be on the boards for us this year. Moreover, owing to how Geno deploys her on the floor, she may not find herself in position for as many rebounding opportunities as our departed 6-footer had, nor will she play as many minutes.

I still believe that someone besides Stef will have to step up in the areas of interior defense and rebounding, and in practice, I don't think that person will be KML, although she will do just fine at her position. If this does not happen, we are vulnerable to an upset that could prevent us from another Final Four appearance. If we do get it by next March, we might just go all the way. My two cents.

I understand that, VA, but My point was simply to point out that simply using things like numbers height and size are to a degree meaningless in saying things like one cannot get to the FF without a big to play beside Stef. Athleticism and fundamentals and basketball IQ like Kelly has, not to mention her focus and determination, are as or more critical. The problem last year was less a post to play beside Stef than one to back up Stef. There are numerous solutions other than depending on size for the person beside her. Texas A&M won last year with little height.

No, I hadn't forgotten the person who I think is the best player to wear a UCONN uniform. Both you and NCor actually make my very point in citing Maya's greatness in that it is her unique attributes while only 6' that make the great 4 that she was. Exactly, my point. Geno and staff's challenge is to figure out the correct scheme with talent at hand.

Kelly will not be the liability at the 3/4 that keeps us from making the FF BECAUSE we need some big post to play BESIDE Stef. Well coached, deeply determined, solid fundamental and great athletes like Kelly will always find a way to get the rebound, get the steal, make the pass, and like Kelly has always done to win. She has already done so against players 2-4" taller than her for two years.

Vulnerable to upset, sure, but the fact you are using the term upset says it all.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
In response to vctwbuff:

I remember that Kib, but that was a different situation. Sauer didn't lose her starting job because Schumaker was the better player. IIRC she was in Auriemma's doghouse for lack of effort in practice and he benched her.

I don't think lack of effort will ever be an issue with Faris.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I remember that Kib, but that was a different situation. Sauer didn't lose her starting job because Schumaker was the better player. IIRC she was in Auriemma's doghouse for lack of effort in practice and he benched her.

Paige had a nagging ankle injury that never quite healed. She wasn't particularly athletic before the injury, but after it occurred, Paige's lack of mobility hurt her playing time. Still, she was instrumental in the win vs the LVs in Knoxville after Michelle Snow slammed the ball onto the court after Paige fouled her. Senior captain Paige, rather than sulk her way to the bench, made sure the ref was aware of Snow's technical foul. It was a key play in the game and one that showed how much Paige valued the team win over her own misfortunes.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I remember that Kib, but that was a different situation. Sauer didn't lose her starting job because Schumaker was the better player. ....

I don't think lack of effort will ever be an issue with Faris.

It seems in this thread there is a theme of Kelly vs. Kaleena. Why????

For those who think Kaleena must/should start because she is so good -- and that's arguable ... arguable that the best should start, not that she is so good -- then how does it follow that Kaleena replaces Kelly?

If you are going to start your best players ... well, then, Kelly has to start. If Kaleena also starts, the obvious odd-girl-out is Caroline. I'd find it very unlikely Kelly would be bumped before Bria, too ... or even Tiff, if she's in a funk or her leadership is lacking. Apparently, some fans don't appreciate Kelly's vital contributions to team success.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Permit me to state that I never meant to infer that Kelly is inferior to the other five players (Caroline, Tiffany, Bria, Kaleena, and Stefanie). For a combination of reasons, it seemed to me that she would logically get her minutes (lots of them) coming off the bench to replace anyone except Stefanie.

I also subscribe to the theory that the "sixth man" is not necessarily the sixth best player. Think Havlicek, who was certainly a better player than one or more of those Celtics in the starting lineup. His versatility (G or F) was a powerful "wild card" for Red to play to energize the team.

Reaction Score
I understand that, VA, but My point was simply to point out that simply using things like numbers height and size are to a degree meaningless in saying things like one cannot get to the FF without a big to play beside Stef. Athleticism and fundamentals and basketball IQ like Kelly has, not to mention her focus and determination, are as or more critical. The problem last year was less a post to play beside Stef than one to back up Stef. There are numerous solutions other than depending on size for the person beside her. Texas A&M won last year with little height.

No, I hadn't forgotten the person who I think is the best player to wear a UCONN uniform. Both you and NCor actually make my very point in citing Maya's greatness in that it is her unique attributes while only 6' that make the great 4 that she was. Exactly, my point. Geno and staff's challenge is to figure out the correct scheme with talent at hand.

Kelly will not be the liability at the 3/4 that keeps us from making the FF BECAUSE we need some big post to play BESIDE Stef. Well coached, deeply determined, solid fundamental and great athletes like Kelly will always find a way to get the rebound, get the steal, make the pass, and like Kelly has always done to win. She has already done so against players 2-4" taller than her for two years.

Vulnerable to upset, sure, but the fact you are using the term upset says it all.

I recall Stef had very serious problems with more athletic centers last year. So far it appears, from descriptions of Thursday's game, that she was running the floor much better than this time last year. But that does not necessarily translate into being able to dominate the post against an athletic post.

Similarly, Kelly has always been a terrific contributor, and she will continue to make major contributions. But she will not make those contributions when guarding bigger and more athletic PFs. In Thursday's game, for example, and according to the box score, she played almost twice as many minutes as Kiah. But she only scored 3 more points and had 3 more rebounds. Assumption's tallest player may have been all of 6'2.

Peace,

John Fryer

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Kelly is a brilliant, do it all basketball player, with a truckload of experience, and icewater in her veins. She will always start, unless she is sick or something.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Assumption's tallest player may have been all of 6'2.

Peace,

John Fryer
Most of the time Texas A&M's tallest player was 6'1" Daniel Adams who led them to the NC.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
In response to vctwbuff:

Actually 10 blocks, but she was robbed.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
In response to vctwbuff:

Stacy Hansmeyer also lost her starting spot that same year to Swin Cash, I believe.

Reaction Score
NEVER UNDERESTMATE THE HEART OF A HUSKY--- KELLY STARTS!

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
in the rest of her career at UCONN, Kelly will start every single game she's healthy. mark that down! :) She's simply that good and that important to the team...

absolutely true. And, Geno doesn't start freshman unless forced to do so by injury or circumstance. this has been said time and again

Reaction Score
Stacy Hansmeyer also lost her starting spot that same year to Swin Cash, I believe.

Hansmeyer was 2 years earlier to Svet.

But these examples only prove the points:
(1) Geno rarely changes the starting lineup,
(2) when he does so it is a permanent not game-to-game, and
(3) it is only when the starter is underperforming.

Also I'm pretty sure that the Sauer/Schu change came over the summer, not mid-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom