I suggest we throw up 3 pointers and hit the boards! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

I suggest we throw up 3 pointers and hit the boards!

Reaction Score
I'm talking about an effective field goal percentage of 53-56% after counting the impact from the extra points from the 3 point shots made, from guards. No one is saying dump Geno's offense or passing up good shots. This should be a slam dunk no brainer. How many guards have an effective field goal percentage like that for the year? Even a 2 point efficiency rating like that? Paige easily topped that her freshman year and who wouldn't want that again? Paige has a college career efg% close to Steph Curry's NBA career as the best in basketball. She has a career field goal % around 53% and she has shot over 40% from 3 for her career so far. Her efg% has to be in the 60% range so far. Azzi is reputed to be equally as good from 3. This is an easy decision. Play Geno's offense. Yes, balance the scoring, but increase the emphasis on 3 point shooting. Slam dunk easy decision.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm talking about an effective field goal percentage of 53-56% after counting the impact from the extra points from the 3 point shots made, from guards. No one is saying dump Geno's offense or passing up good shots. This should be a slam dunk no brainer. How many guards have an effective field goal percentage like that for the year? Even a 2 point efficiency rating like that? Paige easily topped that her freshman year and who wouldn't want that again? Paige has a college career efg% close to Steph Curry's NBA career as the best in basketball. She has a career field goal % around 53% and she has shot over 40% from 3 for her career so far. Her efg% has to be in the 60% range so far. Azzi is reputed to be equally as good from 3. This is an easy decision. Play Geno's offense. Yes, balance the scoring, but increase the emphasis on 3 point shooting. Slam dunk easy decision.
suggestion box .gif

Reaction Score

I think this was the plan last season. Geno knew how good those 2 were and designed an offense around their talents. But fate had other plans and so we'll try it again. What I really like is knowing that both of them work very hard and defense will be something they will be better at next season. And for UConn to dominate both defense and rebounding have to be a team effort.

Reaction Score
Nika is an interesting case in that she has significant liabilities, notably in scoring, but is also an asset at times of immense value. That said, I'm not sure the team is best served by having her on the floor for more than ~15 mins/game. There are certain moments when the peculiar mayhem she brings can change a game, especially the first 5 minutes of the 3rd quarter. The recent game against Tennessee really shows what she can do at such moments. But the last 5 minutes of the 4th quarter is rarely a good moment for her.
My comment is relegated to the time limit. Obviously, you know time in the game for ANY player is based on her value to the team against the team they are playing. Geno is Geno. I questioned his not putting Nika in for more than a few minutes--then she's in for 35 minutes. Geno is playing to the game and the need or specifics of that game. While I cheer Geno and I condemn Geno (i"m a fan, a stupid fan never the less) I know Geno uses what he has the best way to win. He, like me, hates losing.
While I moan and groan that Nika, Caroline, Edwards don't get enough time and Paige gets too much--that is firmly based on EMOTIONS not facts.

Reaction Score
My comment is relegated to the time limit. Obviously, you know time in the game for ANY player is based on her value to the team against the team they are playing. Geno is Geno. I questioned his not putting Nika in for more than a few minutes--then she's in for 35 minutes. Geno is playing to the game and the need or specifics of that game. While I cheer Geno and I condemn Geno (i"m a fan, a stupid fan never the less) I know Geno uses what he has the best way to win. He, like me, hates losing.
While I moan and groan that Nika, Caroline, Edwards don't get enough time and Paige gets too much--that is firmly based on EMOTIONS not facts.
I completely agree. I was thinking in terms of average playing time across a season. You are right to expect variations and lament them too.

Reaction Score
I try hard to stay positive but as much as I like and admire Nika as a person, she's #4 or 5 on the guard depth chart to me. Her defense is good, not the sensational she's been given credit for so many times. She hustles a lot and that's terrific. She has quick hands but she can also be posted up pretty easily and she doesn't block shots much. I love how she is willing to hit the floor for loose balls and respond more quickly than almost anyone but I don't rate defenders by how determined they look and how much they growl. They also need size and anticipation skills. Paige steals more balls overall when she's healthy. And Nika's offense is not up to Uconn standards. If she gets more than 15 minutes PT on average we are not optimized. If the team has some injuries she's great to help cover for them. If we are playing another Big East team we probably win no matter who is in that slot anyway, and she's had a ton of success against mediocre teams, but we want to beat the top teams don't we? A black hole on offense is a problem against top teams and they will exploit it. She doesn't drive down the middle much because she gets stuffed in the paint regularly. She is a great player but not great enough to get a lot of playing time with Uconn unless someone is injured. There is nothing wrong with that role. That's better than 99% of the women basketball players in America. If she can develop a 3 point shot with regular knock downs, and I think she can, then her playing time can increase but she cannot be a black hole on offense. I'm not giving up on her and wish her the best.

Reaction Score
That’s more or less my take on Nika too, except for her sense of the moment. She’s a liability on offense — her skills driving to the basket are not strong, she has no dribble-stop jumper, and her 3-point shot takes too long to release. But she has a knack for disrupting an opponent’s guards when it really counts. The Tennessee game is a perfect example. Just watch the third quarter and you’ll see it. You can’t coach this, and you can’t really predict when she’ll ‘go off’, which means she’ll look like a liability at times.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom