I spent the day in the Women's BB chat room- here's what I found: | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I spent the day in the Women's BB chat room- here's what I found:

Reaction Score
It goes both ways, and for/against football too. I don’t get it at all. I root for all UConn teams and athletes.
This is a good question: How many of the MBB fans follow the WomenBB, football, baseball, hockey etc. ? I'm more specifically interested in how many men's fans follow the woman's team. My family of Uconn alums watch M/W games equally and just as passionately. I always thought everyone on here does as well. But that doesnt look like the case. I'd start a new thread on this topic alone but I don't like to hog the thread board. You brought up a great point. Post that thread Uconnfan 68!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
This is a good question: How many of the MBB fans follow the WomenBB, football, baseball, hockey etc. ? I'm more specifically interested in how many men's fans follow the woman's team. My family of Uconn alums watch M/W games equally and just as passionately. I always thought everyone on here does as well. But that doesnt look like the case. I'd start a new thread on this topic alone but I don't like to hog the thread board. You brought up a great point. Post that thread Uconnfan 68!
I did a “census” maybe 15 years ago? At that time, the women’s board was, as mention, mostly older men with some younger men and about 10% women. The men’s board was, at that time, an average age of about 35 and overwhelmingly male. The percentage of UConn grads was higher on the men’s board and there were more visitors from other teams on the women’s board.

The breakdown of who roots for whom was that people were fans of:

1.Both basketball teams (highest percentage)
2. Both team + football
3. The men’s team + football only
4. One basketball team only

There was an option for “Any team that plays for UConn” but I forgot where it finished.

I may do another census in the off season.

Reaction Score
I did a “census” maybe 15 years ago? At that time, the women’s board was, as mention, mostly older men with some younger men and about 10% women. The men’s board was, at that time, an average age of about 35 and overwhelmingly male. The percentage of UConn grads was higher on the men’s board and there were more visitors from other teams on the women’s board.

The breakdown of who roots for whom was that people were fans of:

1.Both basketball teams (highest percentage)
2. Both team + football
3. The men’s team + football only
4. One basketball team only

There was an option for “Any team that plays for UConn” but I forgot where it finished.

I may do another census in the off season.
Thank you. This is great info. Well done!

Reaction Score
Nope. Women’s board is predominantly men, like 80%. Most women’s board posters are over 60 years old, too. So you men’s board guys remember when you go there and mock the posters, you’re taking potshots at someone like your dad or grandad, since we have a large contingent of 80+ year olds.
Oh that is interesting to know. I bumped into that in a condo development where we ( wife and I ) were called teenagers. The core group was 70-80s and we had 4 WWII Vets and Korean War Vets. They would ask me if I was going to “the meeting” so when I said “no UCONN is on” they would correct me and say “ no you missedit “ the girls’ played last night”. They would be when I told them that I only watch ‘the girls’ if they go to the final 4. I would laugh to myself.

Reaction Score
I follow the woman's team. Not as much as the men, but I watch them if they are on, and genuinely love the program. But I got the feeling that the women's fans may not really follow the men's team. There were a few references to the men in the chat room but it felt like they may as well have been referring to Martians, judging by the lack of recognition. Hard-core uconn women's fans are definitely their own breed.
In my other post reply I mentioned that the older generation watched only ‘ the girls’.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Dipping my toe in the water, I found the game chats (both mens and womens) to be very negative and won't visit them any more.
The only way to handle the chat is to ignore the “definitive negative” and “c’mon ref!” comments and stick to actual game commentary. Let that other stuff float away like so many helium balloons. There are plenty of good observations.

Reaction Score
In my other post reply I mentioned that the older generation watched only ‘ the girls’.
I wonder how much of the men boneyard watch them. I'd say there is probably more men boneyarders who watch the women, than vice versa. Maybe women fans who watched the Calhoun years dropped out during Ollie.

Reaction Score
It is fascinating to me. I am a UConn alum & I really do have a deep passion for the school. I actively follow men's & women's basketball, baseball & football pretty equally. I keep very abreast of both hockey teams.

The other sports I passively follow. But if one starts to become a national power, I zoom in a bit more.

As a sport, I love college basketball foremost. The truly amazing thing is I have experienced two of the greatest coaches in basketball in history perform their magic at my school. 2 HOFers at the same time. Crazy.

Reaction Score
A few comments on the WCBB chat:

• UConn has won so many games that every loss is shocking and thus the end of the world.
  • As a result when that happens, scapegoating is huge for some.
  • it doesn’t help that Geno can be unconventional in how he handles players and playing time. I think a guy with 11 NCs (a) knows what he’s doing and (b) isn’t going to change after 37 years, and yet “why doesn’t Geno….?” Is another common argument point.
  • Moreso than most other sports boards I’ve seen are the diversity in personalities: There’s the extreme “UConn is the best team no matter what happens.” There are folks who will watch every game multiple times to study it (I’m a huge fan; never ever watched a game twice except maybe an NC game). And then others whose sports IQs are rather low for a sports board. Can be quite a culture clash.

Reaction Score
Nope. Women’s board is predominantly men, like 80%. Most women’s board posters are over 60 years old, too. So you men’s board guys remember when you go there and mock the posters, you’re taking potshots at someone like your dad or grandad, since we have a large contingent of 80+ year olds.
And that's supposed to discourage us? Some of the most despicable people on the planet are old men!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom