I need new golf clubs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I need new golf clubs

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
like, seemingly most here, ur proally opeepo, so, get some graphite shafts--steel are significantly different. and in other 'new' golf tek, imma big fan of cavity backs. I find a set of 2 to 9 irons, 1,3, and 5 woods, with pitching and sand wedges should do it. gramps pulls out a family heirloom at certain times (a mashy or a spooner with wooden shafts...wtf?) to school us with his regular 74s to 84s. if he gets to be too much with that 'tude, we drag him to courses with lotsa 480 yard par 4s. uphill. bothways. in the snow. huh, smug opeepo and their golf skills...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
OT to the OT:
Question: One wedge may go say 80 yards with a half swing. A different wedge may go 80 yards with a three-quarter swing. What should be the rule for selecting the correct club when multiple wedges can produce the same yardage depending on the swing length? Asking for a friend.

loft + swing speed + angle of attack + contact quality will dictate how far a ball will fly (and how much it will spin on the green).

are you trying to cover a bunker to a tight pin? hit something to take 2 hops and stop?

it all depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

What he said. It depends if it needs to drop and stop, bounce a few times.

Also, the grass/ground underneath can matter. Some clubs want to bounce, some want to dig.

Best way to learn those characteristics is driving ranges and chipping areas. Real smart move is to check your divots after you hit good and bad wedge shots to see what the divot looks like compared to where the ball was.

Whenever someone asks about partial wedge shots and what matters, I always say, above all else make sure you are accelerating through the ball at contact. I'll often go waist high on the back swing with a nearly full follow through to emphasize solid contact on those shots.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
OT to the OT:
Question: One wedge may go say 80 yards with a half swing. A different wedge may go 80 yards with a three-quarter swing. What should be the rule for selecting the correct club when multiple wedges can produce the same yardage depending on the swing length? Asking for a friend.
the 'rule' for club selection should always be 'the club that is most likely for you to repeatedly make the shot with the least amount of effort and the lowest possibility for something to go wrong' cuz u, or me for that matter, are NOT tiger woods. pga brain is a serious and debilitating disease...'bbut they do it this way on tv!' sure, like 225 yard loft wedge shots....

Reaction Score
I just got the Taylormade P760s with a Nippon modus 130G steel shaft love the irons have been hitting them on the trackman and seeing good results.

Irons: I would absolutely get fitted makes such a difference in your game. The Taylormade P790s are amazing and the face is extraordinarily hot. Let the fitter fit you so don't have any biases coming in see what the numbers say.

Woods: I am getting fitted in few weeks will probably go with the Taylormade M5 or M6 driver 9 degree with an orange tensi shaft and fairway woods switching out my Titleist 913 driver and fairway woods. Others in the running the Cobra F9, Titleist TS2 or TS3, or the Ping G410. There is a new company called dollar driver club where you can lease the driver for $30 bucks a month. dollardriverclub.com

I would get fitted for the driver then subscribe for the driver.

Wedges: Get the Ping Glide wedges such a great feeling wedge. Again get fitted so important.
When I hit the lottery I might do this too.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Looking at the p7TWs only issue is you can’t get them fitted.

Reaction Score
Hated to say this until about 5 years ago, but.....

You really should take the time to get fitted for clubs. The days of walking in to a sporting goods store or golf store and having the option of steel or graphite shafts with stiff or regular flex are long gone.

There are literally hundreds of combinations of shafts, lofts, and everything else that will make the club work as much as possible with your swing.

I am confident a good club fitting can easily shave 5 strokes off your score if you say 90-100 is the norm.

And you don't have to spend an arm and a leg for a set.

As for composition.

Driver? Yes.

3 AND 5 wood? No. I'd go with a 15 degree or so lofted 3-wood and get a 19-21 degree hybrid.

Irons? Very few sets come with 3-irons any more. Many don't even have 4-irons. Get what you like.

I play with four wedges- A pitching wedge (44 degree), an attack wedge (50 degree), and a 56 and 60 degree wedge.

100% right on getting fitted. Makes a huge difference. Way more so than which clubs you pick.

Reaction Score
If you go to get fitted, try out Mizuno JPX’s. If you like them I have a set of 850s that has been used for 2 rounds and 2 range sessions that I’ve been meaning to sell but haven’t out of pure laziness. Would part with them cheaper than you’ll find anywhere else.

I play Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metals. Love them. Have always played Mizuno. Got fitted and had them bent for me - super consistent throughout the whole set.

Reaction Score
As to driver fitting - I must have hit 7 different drivers when I got fitted about a month ago. Went to Golf Galaxy - tried a whole bunch of head/shaft combinations. Ended up with the Callaway Epic Flash - for my swing it reduced the spin. And the head/shaft combination they didn't have in the store to buy so they ordered it and adjusted it for me when it came in. Good experience.

Reaction Score
Get fitted . If you are short there is a good chance that your clubhead is not laying flat and the toe is raised,This limits your sweet spot and impacts accuracy.
i rarely miss hit since i purchased custom made clubs,

Reaction Score
Appreciate the great advice on getting fitted, makes a lot of sense.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Yeah good call here Chin. I am the same way on the wedges. 5-60 degree. Driver, 3 hybrids no fairway. 17,22,25 degree hybrids and the Twist Face.

I have never been fitted and probably should but happy with my game. I try the stuff at Golfers Warehouse or alike then go on EBay or my buddy (an EBay seller big $$$'s) and get what I want. The deals on EBay allow me to try fairway woods, hybrids even irons to see if I can improve. I have plenty "like new" because I'm hooked LOL.

Just need an eight iron and a putter.

Reaction Score
As I've gotten older, I gone down to 3 wedges because I dont hit the ball as far and I feel this gives me more options further back. Very comfortable using a pitching wedge further in. I suspect further down the road it will be down to two.

Reaction Score
Also - it doesn't cost anything to get fitted - so there is really no excuse not to.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
good advice here on club fitting, but don't forget the other necessary fittings too. first, ya gotta get the hat thing right

and finally, don't forget getting fitted for a straightjacket cuz, you know, you can spend 2 hours and 59 minutes doing everything absolutely perfect, then whammo! it all can go so horribly wrong, and then you gotta pay up. ugh, hours of thinking 'im getting paid, yesiree' becomes 'where's my wallet' in literally one second.

Reaction Score
Also - it doesn't cost anything to get fitted - so there is really no excuse not to.

That is true...but the free fittings at Chris Cote and Golf Galaxy to me are not as good because one most the fitters don't know what they are talking about they fit based off numbers rather than swing type. I would rather pay for the fitting from Greenwich golf or downtown golf get the have the specs and look on ebay or through the company directly.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
loft + swing speed + angle of attack + contact quality will dictate how far a ball will fly (and how much it will spin on the green).

are you trying to cover a bunker to a tight pin? hit something to take 2 hops and stop?

it all depends on what you're trying to accomplish.
My ball takes two hops and stops, also. Then I take a step forward and hit it again. That's why we love the game, right? I agree on a fitting being a good thing. I live in Chicago but the name Chris Cote comes up in a lot of golf magazines when they mention club fitters. I went to Club Champion last April and while I love my clubs the price was very high. I would only recommend Club Champion to lower handicaps or someone who will not experience sticker shock. I just set up a golf trip with my HS buddies so I'm fired up for the golf season.

Reaction Score
That is true...but the free fittings at Chris Cote and Golf Galaxy to me are not as good because one most the fitters don't know what they are talking about they fit based off numbers rather than swing type. I would rather pay for the fitting from Greenwich golf or downtown golf get the have the specs and look on ebay or through the company directly.

If I was a single digit handicapper I would probably do the same. But for a mid-teens or higher I think the free fittings are probably fine. I also feel good about my GG guy (Milford) since he has been there for years and seems pretty sharp. It might not be the same at other chain stores or locations.

Reaction Score
If I was a single digit handicapper I would probably do the same. But for a mid-teens or higher I think the free fittings are probably fine. I also feel good about my GG guy (Milford) since he has been there for years and seems pretty sharp. It might not be the same at other chain stores or locations.

I understand my experiences at both places were awful. I also think if you want to invest your time into fitting having someone who isn't pressuring you to buy right then there but allows you to credit the fitting towards the purchase is such a bonus. Other people have different experiences so I am glad it worked there for you.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My ball takes two hops and stops, also. Then I take a step forward and hit it again. That's why we love the game, right? I agree on a fitting being a good thing. I live in Chicago but the name Chris Cote comes up in a lot of golf magazines when they mention club fitters. I went to Club Champion last April and while I love my clubs the price was very high. I would only recommend Club Champion to lower handicaps or someone who will not experience sticker shock. I just set up a golf trip with my HS buddies so I'm fired up for the golf season.

A huge variable on the stopping power of wedges on greens is the ball you play. Spin rates on short shots vary way more than spin rates off the tee. Pretty much every ball is low spin off the tee now. Very little consumer demand for a higher spin ball on tee shots to work the ball left or right. Most golfers lack that skill and end up with hooks and slices. Long and straight is the mantra off the tee.

Urethane covered balls get real grippy on the face of a wedge and spin much higher than surlyn covered balls. Compression doesn't matter as much on the short shots. Unfortunately the urethane covered balls are at the high end of the price range for golf balls.

I played the Titleist NXT Tour for a few years until Titleist discontinued it. I recently tried a direct to consumer company, Cut Golf and their 4-piece Blue. It played real nice across my clubs- drivers, irons, around the green and putting. $24/dz including shipping. Vice and Snell golf make direct to consumer balls but are a bit pricier. The Kirkland Signature, aka K-Sig, has a big following too.

EDIT:

Here's a spin rate graph to show how balls performed on a 50-yard pitch test from Golf Digest.

Spin the wheel: Hot List ball spin chart shows how short shots separate price categories - Golf Digest

1552579589916.png

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I just picked up 4 dozen of the Kirkland Signature balls. I'm a frequent Costco visitor and had never come across them at my store. Lo and behold there they were right at the entrance. They came 2 dozen to a pack for $24. There was a two pack limit. So, I bought a two pack took them to my car and went back and bought two more. I have never heard of cut blue but they performed well on the test. I'll have to pick some up. I wonder why the Kirkland ball didn't get tested.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I just picked up 4 dozen of the Kirkland Signature balls. I'm a frequent Costco visitor and had never come across them at my store. Lo and behold there they were right at the entrance. They came 2 dozen to a pack for $24. There was a two pack limit. So, I bought a two pack took them to my car and went back and bought two more. I have never heard of cut blue but they performed well on the test. I'll have to pick some up. I wonder why the Kirkland ball didn't get tested.

I'm not sure why K Sigs weren't mentioned. Here's a video I came across yesterday. It's a bit long at 17 minutes but they do a Cut Blue vs. Srixon Z-Star XV. Shows how technology can pick up on all the characteristics of a golf ball. They do mention K Sig a few times in the video.

Reaction Score
I understand my experiences at both places were awful. I also think if you want to invest your time into fitting having someone who isn't pressuring you to buy right then there but allows you to credit the fitting towards the purchase is such a bonus. Other people have different experiences so I am glad it worked there for you.

Never had any pressure - then again I've always gone in with the intent to purchase so there was no need to...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom