I need new golf clubs | The Boneyard

I need new golf clubs

Reaction Score
I want to get 1 more set so I want high quality. I know there are a million choices but my game would be 90-100 depending on course difficulty and tightness. Also need a new bag. Where is the best place to buy? Thinking driver, 3 and 5 wood, irons pitching wedge. Taylor made? Degree of loft? Material for shaft?

Reaction Score
Try used clubs. @Deepster recommended them a few years ago, and I tried them about 2 years ago. Used to make my own, but felt I was missing something in materials. Now I understand I'm not, but you can get good deals on quality sets going used. Lots of places sell them. Try to get fitted first.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I want to get 1 more set so I want high quality. I know there are a million choices but my game would be 90-100 depending on course difficulty and tightness. Also need a new bag. Where is the best place to buy? Thinking driver, 3 and 5 wood, irons pitching wedge. Taylor made? Degree of loft? Material for shaft?

As a long-time 90-100 golfer, I'd consider replacing the 3-iron with a hybrid (~19 degree loft), or if you're a better ball striker than your handicap suggests, a driving iron, which should have a tiny bit more accuracy.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Hated to say this until about 5 years ago, but....................

You really should take the time to get fitted for clubs. The days of walking in to a sporting goods store or golf store and having the option of steel or graphite shafts with stiff or regular flex are long gone.

There are literally hundreds of combinations of shafts, lofts, and everything else that will make the club work as much as possible with your swing.

I am confident a good club fitting can easily shave 5 strokes off your score if you say 90-100 is the norm.

And you don't have to spend an arm and a leg for a set.

As for composition.

Driver? Yes.

3 AND 5 wood? No. I'd go with a 15 degree or so lofted 3-wood and get a 19-21 degree hybrid.

Irons? Very few sets come with 3-irons any more. Many don't even have 4-irons. Get what you like.

I play with four wedges- A pitching wedge (44 degree), an attack wedge (50 degree), and a 56 and 60 degree wedge.

Reaction Score

New clubs are guaranteed to improve your game.

Reaction Score
Hated to say this until about 5 years ago, but.....

You really should take the time to get fitted for clubs. The days of walking in to a sporting goods store or golf store and having the option of steel or graphite shafts with stiff or regular flex are long gone.

There are literally hundreds of combinations of shafts, lofts, and everything else that will make the club work as much as possible with your swing.

I am confident a good club fitting can easily shave 5 strokes off your score if you say 90-100 is the norm.

As for composition.

Driver? Yes.

3 AND 5 wood? No. I'd go with a 15 degree or so lofted 3-wood and get a 19-21 degree hybrid.

Irons? Very few sets come with 3-irons any more. Many don't even have 4-irons. Get what you like.

I play with four wedges- A pitching wedge (44 degree), an attack wedge (50 degree), and a 56 and 60 degree wedge.

Yeah good call here Chin. I am the same way on the wedges. 5-60 degree. Driver, 3 hybrids no fairway. 17,22,25 degree hybrids and the Twist Face.

I have never been fitted and probably should but happy with my game. I try the stuff at Golfers Warehouse or alike then go on EBay or my buddy (an EBay seller big $$$'s) and get what I want. The deals on EBay allow me to try fairway woods, hybrids even irons to see if I can improve. I have plenty "like new" because I'm hooked LOL.

Reaction Score
Hated to say this until about 5 years ago, but.....

As for composition.

Driver? Yes.

I switched to Taylormade 3-high launch (16*) and 5-high launch (21*), with same length, head size, weight as 3 (15*)-5(18*). Essentially they play like a 4-wood and a 7-wood.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I got a new set of clubs and a bag last year. I had pretty good success using a combination of golfetail.com for my Cobra irons, brand new at a really good price, and 2nd Swing Golf for a couple hybrids. I am a terrible golfer ranging anywhere from 90-120 on any given day so when it came to the bag I had one requirement, built in cooler.

Reaction Score
Definitely get fitted even just to see which brand you hit the most consistent. You’ll be shocked at the differences in repeatability from brand to brand. I played most of my life with Titleist irons and just a couple of years ago bought a new set of Mizunos. They are like butter and I might not hit another iron for the rest of my life.

Reaction Score
If you go to get fitted, try out Mizuno JPX’s. If you like them I have a set of 850s that has been used for 2 rounds and 2 range sessions that I’ve been meaning to sell but haven’t out of pure laziness. Would part with them cheaper than you’ll find anywhere else.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I played Monday with a driver in my bag for the first time in over a year. Play Taylor Made RBZ driver and 3-wood. Got in to a funk with the driver but could get 230 yards on 3-wood. Plenty enough distance for most courses off the tee.

I still have some older Adams Hybrids- 16 degree 2 hybrid and 19 degree 3 hybrid.

I'm probably trading in driver, 3-wood and both hybrids at the end of this year for a driver and 3-wood.

Play Taylor Made irons but also carry a Callaway X Hot Super Game Improvement 4-iron. I play it like a driving iron and can get 220 off that club.

Depending on course and conditions I pick 3 out of that grouping- driver, 3w, 2h, 3h, 4-iron. Rest of my set is 4-AW.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
For a bag if you carry get a sun mountain. If you don't it doesn't matter.

Reaction Score

I just got the Taylormade P760s with a Nippon modus 130G steel shaft love the irons have been hitting them on the trackman and seeing good results.

Irons: I would absolutely get fitted makes such a difference in your game. The Taylormade P790s are amazing and the face is extraordinarily hot. Let the fitter fit you so don't have any biases coming in see what the numbers say.

Woods: I am getting fitted in few weeks will probably go with the Taylormade M5 or M6 driver 9 degree with an orange tensi shaft and fairway woods switching out my Titleist 913 driver and fairway woods. Others in the running the Cobra F9, Titleist TS2 or TS3, or the Ping G410. There is a new company called dollar driver club where you can lease the driver for $30 bucks a month. dollardriverclub.com

I would get fitted for the driver then subscribe for the driver.

Wedges: Get the Ping Glide wedges such a great feeling wedge. Again get fitted so important.

Reaction Score
I would agree with everyone who says to get fitted if at all possible. Most golf retailers will include it if you're buying clubs.

Also, based on your score of 90-100 I would recommend getting as many hybrids in your bag as possible. I bought TaylorMade M2's a few years ago that included a 3 & 4 hybrid. I've since replaced the 5 iron with a hybrid as well which, in hindsight I should've done when I purchased the clubs. I let my ego get in the way but, at the end of the round all that matters is the score you post.

Reaction Score
sun mountain or ping for the actual bag

for the irons, forged metal will have more feel than cast. all major manufacturers make forged. they've historically been geared towards better players, but that's changed.

Reaction Score
OT to the OT:
Question: One wedge may go say 80 yards with a half swing. A different wedge may go 80 yards with a three-quarter swing. What should be the rule for selecting the correct club when multiple wedges can produce the same yardage depending on the swing length? Asking for a friend.

Reaction Score
loft + swing speed + angle of attack + contact quality will dictate how far a ball will fly (and how much it will spin on the green).

are you trying to cover a bunker to a tight pin? hit something to take 2 hops and stop?

it all depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

Reaction Score
Get fitted. It doesn't cost anything and is well worth the time. I recommend Chris Cote Golf in either Portland or Southington. You get 30 days on the new clubs and if you don't like them they'll trade them.

Reaction Score
sun mountain or ping for the actual bag

for the irons, forged metal will have more feel than cast. all major manufacturers make forged. they've historically been geared towards better players, but that's changed.
Forged are harder to hit and less forgiving but nothing feels better than forged on a square hit. A 20-25 handicap would be better off playing a cast iron.
The best compromise I've hit is the Titliest AP3 with steel shafts. They are cast but the thin top line reminds me of the forged MT Tourney irons I played growing up.

Reaction Score
2 things. Agree with a getting custom fitted. Also go with golfers warehouse. They have a 90 day satisfaction guarantee and if you don’t like a club you can bring it back and exchange it for an equal value. I’ve switched 3 drivers in 90 days with their policy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom