I love UConn but I also | Page 4 | The Boneyard

I love UConn but I also

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
How the heck did that happen?
I basically had three criteria when deciding where to take my talents after high school.
1. Great basketball team with a chance to win the National Championship
2. As far away from home as possible
3. Would let me walk on to the football team
(Academics weren't particularly important to a young CAHusky)

UConn was the obvious choice. Got hurt and never played football but had a great time. Thankfully, they were in dire need of out of state students and got me in with a lackluster GPA.

Reaction Score
Little known fact.. UNCG plays in the Greensboro Coliseum, which is the 2nd largest indoor arena in the US after Rupp. :)

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Collegiate: Nebraska. Football basketball you name it. All of it. Been to too many games to count.

I live 4 blocks from the Spectrum Center in Uptown Charlotte. Love the Hornets.

Reaction Score
I’ve really come to root for Virginia. They never get the flashy recruits but Tony Bennett gets guys who fit his system and they play the game the way it’s supoosed to be played. They don’t turn it over, don’t foul a lot, don’t miss free throws, and never take a defensive possession off.

Reaction Score
UHart, my alma mater. UConn will always be my #1 though as my whole family went to UConn.

I didn’t get directly into the UConn engineering program in Storrs. So instead of starting at the Hartford campus and transferring in Sophomore year I enrolled at UHart in the ME program with the intention to transfer. By end of freshman year I had a great group of friends and was involved in multiple clubs so I decide to stay. Overall I’m happy with my choice but I do feel like I missed out a bit on cheering for big time D1 athletics as an undergrad. Maybe I’ll get my masters at UConn in the next few years.

Reaction Score
Louisville, going to the WBB game at the Yum Center on Thursday wearing UConn gear.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
My brothers went to Siena and Providence. I route for Siena and other MAAC schools for upsets every March.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
My son transferred to VT this year. I check in on them. Good timing.

Reaction Score
Just in case no one has stated it...thank you for your interest in UCONN basketball.

UConn is and always will be the team i pay attention to and watch the most. my alma mater is just a side thing, I like watching alot of basketball :) I also pay attention to alot of nc high school ball. bball is very big in this state, it's fun.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
It's Fairfield for me too. Spent 3 years there (79-82) doing a dual degree program with UConn.
What is a dual degree program? I went to Fairfield as well. The problem with certain mid majors is whenever they gain traction, the coach gets a better offer. Ie. Cooley to Providence.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I’ve really come to root for Virginia. They never get the flashy recruits but Tony Bennett gets guys who fit his system and they play the game the way it’s supoosed to be played. They don’t turn it over, don’t foul a lot, don’t miss free throws, and never take a defensive possession off.

Weird, I was about to chime in with some teams I root for without any connections, and Virginia was my first thought.

I run pack line and I think as a fan it can be a pretty thing. Most people hate watching D but I find it exciting to see a team get smothered and flustered.

I basically was going to echo your points.

I also have liked most of their players: perrantes, guy, brogdon, Anderson ... I may even be forgetting some.

And they keep choking early in the tournament. I find that a fascinating subplot to root for.

Reaction Score
Weird, I was about to chime in with some teams I root for without any connections, and Virginia was my first thought.

I run pack line and I think as a fan it can be a pretty thing. Most people hate watching D but I find it exciting to see a team get smothered and flustered.

I basically was going to echo your points.

I also have liked most of their players: perrantes, guy, brogdon, Anderson ... I may even be forgetting some.

And they keep choking early in the tournament. I find that a fascinating subplot to root for.

I love Ty Jerome on the team right now. Great court vision, confident, clutch. So much to like about that program. Tony Bennett also seems to be one of the most genuine in the business

Reaction Score
UConn UConn UConn followed by FGCU, we now live in Ft. Myers FL. And never miss a UConn game when ever they play in FL. My oldest daughter went to FGCU and it’s a fun school to follow especially with their nice little run to the sweet 16 as a 15 seed a few years back.

Reaction Score
The rambling wreck from Georgia Tech. My team before the move north.

Reaction Score
Graduated Uconn 1995. Moved to Michigan. Married a Spartan. Cheer for them anytime they play except against UConn.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I love UConn Huskies basketball but I also.. am a fan of UNC-Greensboro basketball.

I was born in Connecticut and have followed the huskies for as long as I can remember.. but probably more like since 1993, when I was 5 years old, I remember my father explaining the game of basketball to me while watching a UConn game live, when we had Ray Allen, Donyell, Donny, TK and KO. My family grew me up a UConn fan, but when i was young we moved to North Carolina, I ended up getting a college scholarship and I graduated from UNCG. While UConn has been great for many years now, the other ncaa basketball team i follow is 14-3 (NET: 89) this year after making it to the tourney last year for the 3rd time ever.

Does anyone else have an Alma mater that you pull for that isn't UConn?

I've drank my fair share of sacreds and force fed myself enough turkey and ketchup sandwiches to be able to pull for another team (;
Rutgers (Adjunct Faculty, Wife Law School, daughter undergrad), BC (daughter undergrad), and Any school that has a UCONN grad affiliated

Reaction Score
I have no connection to UCONN (nor does my family) except that I grew up listening on WTIC radio. When I finished school (out of state) and moved to CT, I continued my fanhood in the JC era. I bought season tix for >25 years and donated about $95,000 to UCMBB. Attended 1999 and 2004 Final Fours and many MSG games. Was pretty dialed in to recruiting over the period of 1983-2005. It was a magical carpet ride up until the last few years. I grew several other present and future UCMBB Husky addicts. I'm grateful for the hundreds of awesome UCMBB moments! I look forward to more.

Reaction Score
I, surprisingly, try to watch UConn basketball....I was never interested at all in basketball before I wandered onto this board. Not even that played by my alma mater.

An internet board is often like a small tavern where you know folks and chat while on the bar stool. Over time, you feel like a small community and adopt the interests of the community.

While my viewpoint and region, and ultimately loyalty, is different from most on this forum...I still find myself cheering for the Huskies and am much more knowledgeable of the team and the game than I was some time ago.

Reaction Score
Wake Forest. My daughter is a junior there. Go
Deacs! Man, they stink this year though. Danny Manning’s days are numbered.

Fairfield. My wife is an alum and I did my teacher prep there.

Bucknell. My dad went there.

Tufts. My mom went there.

Yale. I worked as an usher at Yale Bowl when I was a kid and was a bartender at Richter’s on the New Haven green in the 80’s. Many family and friends have an affiliation. In many ways, I’m a closet Yalie.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom