I love UConn but I also | The Boneyard

I love UConn but I also

Reaction Score
I love UConn Huskies basketball but I also.. am a fan of UNC-Greensboro basketball.

I was born in Connecticut and have followed the huskies for as long as I can remember.. but probably more like since 1993, when I was 5 years old, I remember my father explaining the game of basketball to me while watching a UConn game live, when we had Ray Allen, Donyell, Donny, TK and KO. My family grew me up a UConn fan, but when i was young we moved to North Carolina, I ended up getting a college scholarship and I graduated from UNCG. While UConn has been great for many years now, the other ncaa basketball team i follow is 14-3 (NET: 89) this year after making it to the tourney last year for the 3rd time ever.

Does anyone else have an Alma mater that you pull for that isn't UConn?

I've drank my fair share of sacreds and force fed myself enough turkey and ketchup sandwiches to be able to pull for another team (;

Reaction Score
Or, does anyone else have another NCAA basketball team you pull for, for any other reason? If so, why?

Reaction Score
Northeastern when I can. They haven't been as good since JJ was there.

I'm a Celtics fan and have been a Bobcats/Hornets fan since Kemba was drafted. I remember watching that first Bobcats season on League pass. That was brutal.

I'm such a UConn basketball stan that I tend to follow any team a UConn player is a part of. I root for the UConn player to kill even if it's against the C's.

Really hope Purvis gets a 10 day contract.

Reaction Score
My alma mater... the U. of Colorado. UConn was my team growing up and the Buffs were so bad most of my life it was easy to cheer for the Huskies. The last five or six years they have been remarkably similar in success and of course that culminated in them playing each other in the NCAA. I didn't initially know how I 'd feel during that game but it was only a few minutes in that I knew I leaned towards UConn.

Football, on the hand, I have very few ties to UConn and my fall is consumed with the Buffs regardless of how bad they have been for over a decade.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I’m UConn through and through, alum but followed since jr. high. Most guys on those teams are dead or in their late mid 80s. . But I pay some attention to the schools where my sons and my money went. Michigan, Northwestern, VTech (these 3 usually only if they make the tournament, so mostly UM). Cornell is mostly off my radar.

Without checking, anyone here know the name of the Connecticut All State stud who went to Cornell many moons ago? He would help this year’s team. Not overly tall but strong an an ox with skills. I think he made all Ivy teams.

Reaction Score
My dad went on a trip to Connecticut once in ‘86 and bought me a Huskies sweatshirt that I apparently wore everywhere when I was little (I was only 2-3 at the time). I’ve rooted for them ever since.
I’m from Cincinnati and would have loved to go to UConn, but paying my own way made that a tough decision. So I’m a Bearcat fan, reds fan, bengals fan, but UConn basketball has trumped them all by a long shot (my fiancé even has a UConn groom cake set to go for our rehearsal dinner in April).
I was pumped UC was invited to the Big East just so I could finally see UConn live at the time, but now I wish both could part ways. Somehow I’ve made it to 45 of our states and Connecticut is not one : / so when I can finally make a trip to campus I will definitely be looking for advice on where to stay and pregame for a great day
Tonight is always a fun game for my friends and I lol

Reaction Score
My wife went to Duke and has brainwashed my 7 year old son (not hard given all the publicity Duke gets). As much as I try not to root against Duke (like now, down 1 vs FSU with 5 secs left), I usually end up secretly hoping they lose...at least in the regular season.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I love UConn Huskies basketball but I also.. am a fan of UNC-Greensboro basketball.

I was born in Connecticut and have followed the huskies for as long as I can remember.. but probably more like since 1993, when I was 5 years old, I remember my father explaining the game of basketball to me while watching a UConn game live, when we had Ray Allen, Donyell, Donny, TK and KO. My family grew me up a UConn fan, but when i was young we moved to North Carolina, I ended up getting a college scholarship and I graduated from UNCG. While UConn has been great for many years now, the other ncaa basketball team i follow is 14-3 (NET: 89) this year after making it to the tourney last year for the 3rd time ever.

Does anyone else have an Alma mater that you pull for that isn't UConn?

I've drank my fair share of sacreds and force fed myself enough turkey and ketchup sandwiches to be able to pull for another team (;

I think it is well known that I am a Kanasas Jayhawk fan and graduate (law school). Rock Chalk. But head to head I go with UConn of course.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I grew up near Marist College and, to a lesser extent, Army.

I bought season tickets to Marist basketball when I was a freshman in high school and later, Army football.

I'm still a booster for both schools in various sports.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
My wife is a QU alumni so I can an eye on them. I always want to see any CT school win really. It’s always exciting to see them getting a little buzz going. Went to a bunch of UHart games as a kid probably because it was the 90s and we couldn’t get UConn tickets.

As far as random fandom I really like Colorado as a kid. In retrospect it’s possible I couldn’t read and thought I was rooting for Connecticut.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom