I love UConn but I also | Page 5 | The Boneyard

I love UConn but I also

Reaction Score
I’m UConn through and through, alum but followed since jr. high. Most guys on those teams are dead or in their late mid 80s. . But I pay some attention to the schools where my sons and my money went. Michigan, Northwestern, VTech (these 3 usually only if they make the tournament, so mostly UM). Cornell is mostly off my radar.

Without checking, anyone here know the name of the Connecticut All State stud who went to Cornell many moons ago? He would help this year’s team. Not overly tall but strong an an ox with skills. I think he made all Ivy teams.
My older cousin used talk about John Sponheimer from Derby? Who played at Cornell, mostly football though.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
My older cousin used talk about John Sponheimer from Derby? Who played at Cornell, mostly football though.
You dredged up a horrible memory. I think he was also a hs all-state in hoops and played minor league fb for the Hartford franchise.

He was a year behind me in law school and we had a basketball league. Pretty competitive with 5 or 6 guys who had played college varsity. He was big (is he still alive ) about 6’5 and at least mid 200 lbs. only one other guy in the league, also a minor league fb player) who could stop him inside. He was on my team. He made life tough for the rest of us who liked to shoot once in a while by getting mad if he didn’t get a shot on almost every possession. As competitive as it was, it was still meant to be fun and he kind of took some of the fun away. But nobody complained, valuing our health more than our 20 footers.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga. I like Mark Few, he's a good coach and runs a clean program.

They seem to always get screwed in the tourney when they play a blue blood.

One day, they'll cut down the nets and I'll be very happy for them.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Just googled. Looks like Sponheimer is alive and in business with a class mate of mine with an office in Ansonia.

Reaction Score
Wake Forest. My daughter is a junior there. Go
Deacs! Man, they stink this year though. Danny Manning’s days are numbered.

Fairfield. My wife is an alum and I did my teacher prep there.

Bucknell. My dad went there.

Tufts. My mom went there.

Yale. I worked as an usher at Yale Bowl when I was a kid and was a bartender at Richter’s on the New Haven green in the 80’s. Many family and friends have an affiliation. In many ways, I’m a closet Yalie.

Danny Manning played ball at the same high school I went to.

Reaction Score
I pull for West Virginia University. Particularly in football, but I like WVU basketball too. I went to WVU my freshman year before transferring to UConn. I loved WVU, but UConn was the obvious choice because it’s more affordable and a better school since I’m from CT.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
What is a dual degree program? I went to Fairfield as well. The problem with certain mid majors is whenever they gain traction, the coach gets a better offer. Ie. Cooley to Providence.
5 year plan. BA from Fairfield, BS Engineering from UConn. Last 2 years at UConn

Reaction Score
You dredged up a horrible memory. I think he was also a hs all-state in hoops and played minor league fb for the Hartford franchise.

He was a year behind me in law school and we had a basketball league. Pretty competitive with 5 or 6 guys who had played college varsity. He was big (is he still alive ) about 6’5 and at least mid 200 lbs. only one other guy in the league, also a minor league fb player) who could stop him inside. He was on my team. He made life tough for the rest of us who liked to shoot once in a while by getting mad if he didn’t get a shot on almost every possession. As competitive as it was, it was still meant to be fun and he kind of took some of the fun away. But nobody complained, valuing our health more than our 20 footers.
lol Sorry CZ. My cousin played at Penn. Remembered him from HS and playing against him when he was at Cornell. Said he was a hellova @#?&* FB Player. My Cuz is a Clark Kent type off the field but was a Berzerker on it so I can imagine Sponheimer was something.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom