I Love Geno, but........................... | The Boneyard

I Love Geno, but...........................

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
...sometimes he just doesn't think before he speaks.
Geno quote from Rich Elliott's newspsper article this morning: "There was nothing worthwhile that came out of this game"!
How does this make Kiah who had a great game feel?
How does this make the other new kids feel?
How does this make the Pace team feel...like piece of meat after getting beat so badly?
Why would they ever want to play us again?
C'mon Geno, be a little more encouraging.
If you want to trash the team, make sure you have a good reason, then do it behind closed doors.
That's just good people management.

Reaction Score
Geno being Geno, not always a good thing, even though he was talking about his teams performance and not Pace U he could have been more eloquent in word choice.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Yeah, he has such a terrible track record handling players. He should care more about how they feel. Ever see former players come back? They can't wait to leave and never come back...

As Emily Latella would say...Oh wait...never mind....

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I've got an idea ... let's coddle everybody and make sure everyone who plays gets a trophy!
Come on, how can you criticize someone who has built the premier program in the country by knowing how to motivate and nurture kids?

Reaction Score
I've got an idea ... let's coddle everybody and make sure everyone who plays gets a trophy!
Come on, how can you criticize someone who has built the premier program in the country by knowing how to motivate and nurture kids?

Another thing that we could do would be to ignore things that some of us feel the coach does that might be just a little close to being "over the top."

No one should, and certainly no coach should, be beyond occassional positive criticism.

These are, of course, just my opinions.

Peace,

John Fryer

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i actually don't disagree with Sonny. the 2nd half was much better. my dad was at the game and he felt the same way Geno did about the first half. 2nd half was a different story tho. Geno did echo CD's comments on WTIC after the game tho. having said that, i'm not sure how many of the players actually read Rich elliots blog at this time of the year. i'd th ink they are too busy with school, hoops, etc...

however, it's not t hat i disagree with Geno with regards to his comments, or his ability to motivate players, i just think there were things in the 2nd half that were positive.

Reaction Score
i actually don't disagree with Sonny. the 2nd half was much better. my dad was at the game and he felt the same way Geno did about the first half. 2nd half was a different story tho. Geno did echo CD's comments on WTIC after the game tho. having said that, i'm not sure how many of the players actually read Rich elliots blog at this time of the year. i'd th ink they are too busy with school, hoops, etc...

Still, tough to argue with a coach who has the track record that he does. Geno has always had his hand directly on the pulse of his team, and has been pretty good at knowing how to motivate his players depending on their makeup that season. Perhaps this team needs some tough love, especially considering some of Stef's comments last night regarding the posts needing to make sure they give 100% effort every day at practice.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Geno overstated things and made too "absolute" a statement in that one sentence. But listening to the details of the press conference gives another picture. They are a work in progress with lots of unanswered questions.

The clear message is that everyone needs to do better. He also said that the team will look very different on Sunday with Caroline and hopefully Kaleena. They do not have a PG who orchestrates things. CD is the only one who is good at that at this point. Bria is not there yet. Thus, the offensive flow should improve.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I imagine Geno spoke to his team right after the game and addressed some players individually so there were no surprises in the newspapers this morning. Besides, knowing that his past players love him tells me tons more about how he builds his relationships with them than a sentence from a press conference.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
More details, with moderation:

"She [Kiah] has a lot of natural ability," Auriemma said. "Hopefully, she'll learn how to use it on a consistent basis. There are a lot of skills she has and one of the factors moving forward is to figure out a way to get her to use them on a regular basis. At least, that's the plan."

That's not particularly negative. Kiah needs to play hard consistently and keep learning. She has great assets and needs to use them to maximum benefit. Coach likes her abilities.

As we know, UConn does not play to the score. The goal is to play great basketball and try to be as perfect as possible. Not much excellence was on display last night. At best, it was spotty. But it's interesting to note that, without the best PG and without the best shooter, we won by 50 and Coach is not happy at all. The bar has been set very, very high in Storrs. :)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

"She [Kiah] has a lot of natural ability," Auriemma said. "Hopefully, she'll learn how to use it on a consistent basis. There are a lot of skills she has and one of the factors moving forward is to figure out a way to get her to use them on a regular basis. At least, that's the plan."

That's not particularly negative. Kiah needs to play hard consistently and keep learning. She has great assets and needs to use them to maximum benefit. Coach likes her abilities.

As we know, UConn does not play to the score. The goal is to play great basketball and try to be as perfect as possible. Not much excellence was on display last night. At best, it was spotty. But it's interesting to note that, without the best PG and without the best shooter, we won by 50 and Coach is not happy at all. The bar has been set very, very high in Storrs. :)
that was partly my point. i guess if that was Geno's only comment (the one referenced by the OP), then i could see consternation. but apparently he had other things to say as well. and i'm not doubting him as a motivator. or as a coach beloved by his players. if he had only 1 comment to make, i would have rather have seen "we did a few things well in the 2nd half, but a lot more that needs to be worked on"...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

And Kiah herself said:

"I think I progressed a little bit,'' Stokes said. "I felt more aggressive defensively and offensively getting rebounds and trying to look for my shot more. But I definitely have a lot of room to improve, which is what I'm going to keep working on at practice each and every day.''

Remember, when Kiah, Brianna and Kaleena committed, they all said they wanted to go to UConn because Geno would push them to be better. They knew what they were in for.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Geno often says that a team is never as bad as they may seem in any one game and likewise they are never as good as they might seem in any one game (loosely paraphrased)

Well there is a corollary that Geno to Geno statements. Don't take any individual statement literally or as an absolute.

Like it or not Geno is a motivator who uses very direct language. If you think his public statements are tough, I'd bet his private ones to the team are even more "pointed". He recruits kids that he feels want to be the best they can possibly be and will take the challenges he gives them.

I realize this is a message board where people discuss all things about UConn Women's Basketball but any true angst about Geno's comment is a lot to do about nothing AFAIC.

Adesmar123

Reaction Score
The bigger point being that you take the entire person and body of work.

Golly gee, I loved Coach Wooden, but I wished he wasn't so philosophical! That philosophical personality is what made him so successful and beloved by his players.

In almost any performance measurement, Auriemma is successful and well respected. Let it be.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
And Kiah herself said:

"I think I progressed a little bit,'' Stokes said. "I felt more aggressive defensively and offensively getting rebounds and trying to look for my shot more. But I definitely have a lot of room to improve, which is what I'm going to keep working on at practice each and every day.''

Remember, when Kiah, Brianna and Kaleena committed, they all said they wanted to go to UConn because Geno would push them to be better. They knew what they were in for.
Yep, Kiah thinks she took some small steps, but recognizes that she has lots more to take. Improvement is an ongoing process and permanent goal.

Reaction Score
Do you think they need to read Rich's article or do you think Geno and CD simply told them their efforts were not worthy of a UCONN tyeam? BYW if his comments about game were were considered harsh, then how does his team feel when they find out Geno believes the unproven 2012 signees are the future and are they way back to the NC. I guess this year's team will have to accept they are running in place. Or will they get fired up and show him the future is now?

"You can never tell what people are going to do when they get to college,'' Auriemma said. "But these three are going to be the difference going forward. What we have is significant, but the three that we're adding I think are going to be what puts us back in that category where we can win a national championship.''

Read more: http://www.ctpost.com/uconn/article/UConn-women-s-notebook-Stewart-Jefferson-Tuck-2261433.php#ixzz1dK9dstEf

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
...sometimes he just doesn't think before he speaks.
Geno quote from Rich Elliott's newspsper article this morning: "There was nothing worthwhile that came out of this game"!
How does this make Kiah who had a great game feel?
How does this make the other new kids feel?
How does this make the Pace team feel...like piece of meat after getting beat so badly?
Why would they ever want to play us again?
C'mon Geno, be a little more encouraging.
If you want to trash the team, make sure you have a good reason, then do it behind closed doors.
That's just good people management.

What Geno said is not remotely "trashing the team". Come on. This is Div I sports, and these women are not phased by Geno saying something like this in the post-game. They are all well into the program now, they hear him barking for hours each day, they know his tone, they know his demeanor. He has said far 'worse' in public in the past, and will say far 'worse' in public in the future, let alone at practice (which you implicitly acknowledge).

"Why would they every want to play us again?" "How does this make the Pace team feel .. like a piece of meat"

Really?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Geno often says that a team is never as bad as they may seem in any one game and likewise they are never as good as they might seem in any one game (loosely paraphrased)

Well there is a corollary that Geno to Geno statements. Don't take any individual statement literally or as an absolute.

Like it or not Geno is a motivator who uses very direct language. If you think his public statements are tough, I'd bet his private ones to the team are even more "pointed". He recruits kids that he feels want to be the best they can possibly be and will take the challenges he gives them.

I realize this is a message board where people discuss all things about UConn Women's Basketball but any true angst about Geno's comment is a lot to do about nothing AFAIC.

Thank you!

This is not the Dr. Phil show. This is Connecticut basketball.

Reaction Score
Yes, they thought they knew what they were in for. However, every former UCOMM player always says "you are simply not prepared for the UNCONN intensity of the practices and the coaches." It is much harder than any of them imagined.

And Kiah herself said:

Adesmar123

Reaction Score
No one seems to care how I feel after reading the criticism of Geno. And how do you think Geno feels after that criticism? Can't we criticize him directly in private rather than public? I fell like a meat substitute. Feeling like tofu is really bad.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yes, they thought they knew what they were in for. However, every former UCOMM player always says "you are simply not prepared for the UNCONN intensity of the practices and the coaches." It is much harder than any of them imagined.

Sure, then Tina or Sue or Diana or Maya or another former National POY comes back to Storrs or texts the freshmen to tell them to hang in there, it's all worth it.

Reaction Score
You can take one sentence out of a much longer set of statements (without inflections, smirks, history of how speaker's style of "over/under" stating impacts meaning) and put an intent on it and then based on that intent find fault with the intent. You define it as "trash the team", that premise I find stupid on its face and in that context consider all the other "worries" stated as inane. WCBB is to "feeeeeeely" as it is, maybe should go back to 6 girl ball and make them stay on half the court.

Note I didn't trash you, just the "premise" and "worries" listed, don't want you to feel bad. Just trying to "encourage" you to do better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom