I know, I know...we don't trust the "insiders"...but.. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I know, I know...we don't trust the "insiders"...but..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Boston isn't necessarily a soft market, at least not in the way I think you're referring to it. For college football and basketball, BC, UConn, and straggling ND fans are really the only game in town. It's not like NYC where there's multiple other schools with large alumni bases and big athletic programs. The problem here is, there aren't that many people who really care much about college football or basketball to begin with, both are massively overshadowed by the pros, and the population isn't large enough like in NYC, where there's enough people who casually watch it to make up for that interest gap.

should have clairified "soft". I meant "soft" interest in its "home college conference" ACC (as in very soft). New York could be considered "partially soft Big 10" with Rutgers' move. Detroit would be "strong Big 10", LA "strong Pac 12", Houston/Dallas "strong split Big 12/SEC; Atlanta strong SEC, soft ACC, etc. (for purposes of this exercise, excluding ND and concede it has a footprint everywhere). Philly would be "strong Big 10" w/Penn State & now Rutgers. The brilliance of the Big 10 in taking Rutgers is not only shown in them getting a bigger chunk of NY and Philly market, but also in taking Maryland, which steals Baltimore from the ACC and takes about half the ACC from Washington (more if either of the Virginias go).

The larger point is medium-to-big TV markets (like Hartford-New Haven) are like real estate. They're not making any more of them. So while I hate the waiting around crap, I would think the odds are that some brilliant person (like Delany) will open their eyes at some point. I would however, prefer, the demographic info alleged to have been shared in the tweet in the OP would have come from OUR people.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
when your president sees fans and ppl thinking uconn got beat out by lville and starts her statement by saying "i know this seems like..." u know something else is going on.

Reaction Score
Law school alum, big difference.
I have a doctor (surgeon, to be precise) who has an undergrad degree from UConn and a medical degree from Yale. He doesn't differentiate. He is proud to be associated with both institutions.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I have a doctor (surgeon, to be precise) who has an undergrad degree from UConn and a medical degree from Yale. He doesn't differentiate. He is proud to be associated with both institutions.

If it was the reverse, he would be all about Yale...

I only have an undergrad degree so I can't speak from personal experience..but..everyone I know who has post graduate degrees identifies most with their undergrad school. I know 2 ND grads with Duke MBAs, and both are all about ND...even in hoops.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I only have an undergrad degree so I can't speak from personal experience..but..everyone I know who has post graduate degrees identifies most with their undergrad school. I know 2 ND grads with Duke MBAs, and both are all about ND...even in hoops.

I agree. I have a very respectable graduate degree, but I definitely identify with my undergrad school more. Also, I went to see a basketball game between my grad school and another dork college and it was gruesome. Most dorms at UConn could field better teams than either of these schools.

Reaction Score

I have a UConn undergrad and UConn Law degree. I'm filled with a mixture of pride and self-loathing . . . .

Reaction Score

Even a bigger deal when the grad school isn't on campus with undergrad.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I certainly support both UConn (undergrad) and Kansas (law school) but go with UConn first, mostly on the strength of time, and being a fan from my Jr. high school days in Manchester. But UConn law is in Hartford, not Storrs, so is cut off from the larger university. KU Law is across the street from Allen Field House. :)

Reaction Score

Is he a big fan of Yale sports?

Reaction Score
The Kool-Aid in this thread is delicious! I WANT TO DRINK MORE

The hell w/ Kool-Aid. Drinking rainbows is where it's @...

rainbow.jpg

Reaction Score
Is he a big fan of Yale sports?

Me: Yale undergrad, UCONN medical
follow both, but for major sports only UCONN worth following.
UCONN fan since 7th grade and grew up in CT though.

Reaction Score
If someone's undergrad school is great at some sports they will likely support them no matter what and if their graduate school happens to be better then they can either change or add allegiance. People root for teams because its fun to do so.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I agree. I have a very respectable graduate degree(s), but I definitely identify with my undergrad school more.
Yep, same.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Oh and as to whether we are on our way to the B1G:
elderpriceibelieve.gif

Reaction Score
I agree. I have a very respectable graduate degree, but I definitely identify with my undergrad school more. Also, I went to see a basketball game between my grad school and another dork college and it was gruesome. Most dorms at UConn could field better teams than either of these schools.
I have an in with the AD at my grad school, an only somewhat respectable BCS school where my program was 30 miles from the main campus. Got second row seats for a home game against UConn (surrounded by big donors and former players). I wondered if I would be torn on whom to root for. I wasn't. The Husky Pride came out 100% (although I was respectful so I could secure another invite if the Huskies ever play there again (and to not get my kicked by the ex-football players)).

I'd be surprised if Aresco has much love for UConn. If he did, it may also be gone if UConn has been clear that they intend to leave if given the chance.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
were having a bot meeting in 3 weeks. i can't wait for that to stir up more uconn talk based off the insiders stuff this week...

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
were having a bot meeting in 3 weeks. i can't wait for that to stir up more uconn talk based off the insiders stuff this week...

That would be great. We need this positive buzz to continue. Malloy's budget plans that include a huge chunk to UConn, all of the XL Center/Rent management rumors, and these demographic studies and a BOT meeting in 3 weeks should lead to some positive speculation from the twitterers and "insiders".

USS Connecticut is about to take part in some aggressive expansion.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
UConn undergrad, Northeastern grad. I was a UConn fan before I became a student, so I don't know that it would have mattered. I have little interest in following athletics at Northeastern (unless they beat upstater's school in the Beanpot, of course). I had the same conversation with colleagues in my program and for the most part they all felt the same way - undergrad is what they associate with.

Reaction Score
I have little interest in following athletics at Northeastern (unless they beat upstater's school in the Beanpot, of course).
Once every quarter century we decide to be nice and let you have one.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Guys, those West Virginia boys are just going to break your hearts.

Does anyone actually think that Jim Delaney was recently served up a report that showed that 'other than ND' UConn owns New York City?

UConn certainly gets a chunk of the city, but honestly, the guy's slip is showing when Notre Dame basketball was mentioned.

Reaction Score
That would be great. We need this positive buzz to continue. Malloy's budget plans that include a huge chunk to UConn, all of the XL Center/Rent management rumors, and these demographic studies and a BOT meeting in 3 weeks should lead to some positive speculation from the twitterers and "insiders".

USS Connecticut is about to take part in some aggressive expansion.
BOT approved last week the purchase of Farmer Brown and X Lot land along with several adjoining parcels for future development. 3.8 million for 27 acres.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Guys, those West Virginia boys are just going to break your hearts.

Does anyone actually think that Jim Delaney was recently served up a report that showed that 'other than ND' UConn owns New York City?

UConn certainly gets a chunk of the city, but honestly, the guy's slip is showing when Notre Dame basketball was mentioned.

I believe Nate Silver would actually agree with this report, and he is into the math-y stuff. He pointed out that Rutgers had a healthy lead on all other schools for NYC attention. How did that work out for the Scarlet Knights?

Reaction Score
I believe Nate Silver would actually agree with this report, and he is into the math-y stuff. He pointed out that Rutgers had a healthy lead on all other schools for NYC attention. How did that work out for the Scarlet Knights?

Silver looked at Google searches. Maybe 6 or 7 years ago, Pew did a poll. It had very different results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom