I have loved Whaley as a player... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I have loved Whaley as a player...

Reaction Score
That foul on Aiken with the shot clock down to almost zero made me scream.
That wasn’t his fault. We botched getting a loose ball like 4 times that possession. That was the most aggravating sequence from yesterday, just shows low BBIQ and not wanting it more than the other team.

Reaction Score
I really think this is late January/February team and I think in a week or so, IW will realize he has only has so many games left and we will see a different more aggressive energy.

Reaction Score
Don't know the reason but Isaiah is not as fast this year. On defense, off the floor on the jump, running the floor. Sometimes there are mismatches and he is guarding quicker players. Hurley really needs to step up when he is getting slammed into when he is holding position and the refs let it go or call the foul on him. Take a T and get your monies worth. If we tried that you know the result. Offensive foul.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
His stats look similar to last season but he looks nothing like the same player. He doesn't do anything on offense which is nothing new but he now routinely gets beat on defense. That final Kadary match-up would have been a Ricky Moore moment last season, instead it was Whaley letting a guard back him down and giving up the and 1.

He was the heart and soul of the team last season, not seeing any of that this year.
Posted this in another thread, if Whaley isn't playing like the Defensive Player of the Year he was, what does he bring?

1 three-pointer every other game? You can't dump it into him down low to get a bucket so our offense is perimeter orientated and easy to defend when he's at the 5. He's regressed. Either he has to improve or Hurley needs to have someone down low who can get a bucket.
Whaley doesn't even try to face up and hit a mid-range jumper anymore. He doesn't box out a majority of the time.

Edit: If he has no post-up game, he could at least face up and shoot a jumper. Otherwise, his minutes need to be halved for Akok or someone else who can get rebounds and box out. I would leave him be if his defense was up to what we expect from him and if he was getting his hustle points and plays. We are a completely different team when we have Sanogo at the 5. When Whaley is at the 5 we have no inside presence and it's even worse when Gaffney is in with him.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I really think this is late January/February team and I think in a week or so, IW will realize he has only has so many games left and we will see a different more aggressive energy.
I'd hope, but three years of the same end of game meltdowns has me not so optimistic. Also, our subs for Sanogo and Cole are major drop-offs, which needs to be addressed

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Posted this in another thread, if Whaley isn't playing like the Defensive Player of the Year he was, what does he bring?

1 three-pointer every other game? You can't dump it into him down low to get a bucket so our offense is perimeter orientated and easy to defend when he's at the 5. He's regressed. Either he has to improve or Hurley needs to have someone down low who can get a bucket.
Whaley doesn't even try to face up and hit a mid-range jumper anymore. He doesn't box out a majority of the time.

Edit: If he has no post-up game, he could at least face up and shoot a jumper. Otherwise, his minutes need to be halved for Akok or someone else who can get rebounds and box out. I would leave him be if his defense was up to what we expect from him and if he was getting his hustle points and plays. We are a completely different team when we have Sanogo at the 5. When Whaley is at the 5 we have no inside presence and it's even worse when Gaffney is in with him.

He can still bring value on defense even if he's fallen off a bit from the DPOY level he played at last year.

Whaley clearly wasn't full strength on Saturday, and shouldn't have played crunch-time minutes. That being said, we just had a 2+ week pause due to at least 8 players getting Covid, and he was the only one on a minutes restriction in this game and clearly didn't look 100%. It's pretty obvious what the issue on Saturday was.

Reaction Score

Part of the problem is that Akok cannot box out, get enough rebounds, or play man to man defense well enough. He's good at help defense by blocking shots and that's about it. So, if you can live with those deficiencies in lieu of 3 or 4 threes per game that is what it comes down to relative to Akok.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Anyone thinking we’re better with Akok on the floor than Whaley is whacked. Like them both but we lose so much defensively without Whaley out there its awful. But you’d have to see the little things which are important to understand.
I agree Mau, but Akok is developing his three point shot nicely. Whaley still won't shoot the ball even when he is the only player on the court. There was one game a couple of weeks ago, when he nailed 2 threes. I though that would give him more confidence. Apparently not.

Reaction Score
Whaley's lack of confidence offensively around the hoop is puzzling to me. He's had a few times this season (including Saturday) where he basically had layups or very short shots if he just looked at the basket but he is intent on kicking it out every time. I remember the end of his junior year when Akok went out and he became a legit threat offensively around the basket. Had nice touch and also attacked the rim and dunked the ball. Not sure where that guy has gone.

Defensively, I'm not quite as concerned as others. I don't think his DPOY was based off his one on one defense...it was more his ability to hedge and cause steals/disruption on defense and his weak side shot blocking. His blocks are a bit down (2.6 to 2.1) but his steals are the same. His defensive strength was never guarding a guy like Richmond one on one.

Still would love for him to bring the same energy/fire every game; that does seem to be a bit inconsistent. I do like him coming off the bench because Akok is a better offensive option, so that should help us avoid slow starts, and if Akok is struggling to start the game I can see IW as a guy who comes in and brings a jolt of energy to the team.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Fair. Once DH switched from Martin to Whaley covering Richmond, I expected big changes that never happened. Whaley definitely did not seem as strong as usual in the post, especially against a guy who is 6'6 200.

Whaley is probably my most favorite player in at least five years and I just want him to get better fast. Can't wait to cheer my butt off for him on Senior Night.
Yo, Adrien! How was seeing the game in person? I wish I could’ve been there!

Reaction Score
Is Whaley 100%? He was slowed earlier this year and also had the fainting issue. There my be some nagging condition the the team is keeping under wraps.

Reaction Score
Is Whaley 100%? He was slowed earlier this year and also had the fainting issue. There my be some nagging condition the the team is keeping under wraps.

Whaley clearly wasn't full strength on Saturday...we just had a 2+ week pause due to at least 8 players getting Covid, and he was the only one on a minutes restriction in this game and clearly didn't look 100%. It's pretty obvious what the issue on Saturday was.

Reaction Score
He earned his pt 2 years ago with maximum effort. Then won co-defensive player of the year with similar effort. He's just not putting in the same effort.

Reaction Score
He earned his pt 2 years ago with maximum effort. Then won co-defensive player of the year with similar effort. He's just not putting in the same effort.
I disagree. He's putting in the same effort, but the outcome of his effort is inferior to last year.

Why is this happening?

That's a debate. Injury, Covid, Sanogo's improvement, Akok's improving health, Carlton gone...mentioning any of these are fair points.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I disagree. He's putting in the same effort, but the outcome of his effort is inferior to last year.

Why is this happening?

That's a debate. Injury, Covid, Sanogo's improvement, Akok's improving health, Carlton gone...mentioning any of these are fair points.
You could be right. Im not 100% convinced my own statement about effort is accurate. It's very tough to tell. But I'm also not willing to dismiss It's just a slight down-tick in effort on Whaley's part.

Reaction Score
Whaley gives a lot of empty minutes now, something he never used to do. You rarely see him tip rebounds or lose balls anymore. With the talent on the bench (Samson), he really can’t give empty minutes anymore. It’s not like he’s playing over guys that stink

Reaction Score
The sideline reporter at the Georgetown game mentioned in the second half that Whaley has had a hard time coming back from covid and he was the last player to come off covid isolation.

Today he looked like the same guy before his health issues. Glad he’s feeling better!

Reaction Score
The sideline reporter at the Georgetown game mentioned in the second half that Whaley has had a hard time coming back from covid and he was the last player to come off covid isolation.

Today he looked like the same guy before his health issues. Glad he’s feeling better!

Last 2 games I agree. He had a tough couple games after coming off no doubt but looks like the guy we expected, maybe even a little extra on the offensive end it’s great to see.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
excited genius GIF

Reaction Score
I still think there was something at play before he got Covid. I mentioned that in game 1 that his foot speed and overall quick twitch had decreased from last year and wondered if he had bulked up, was working through an injury from pre-season), or what? There was never any official explanation given. Then he had the fainting spell from exhaustion/dehydration in the Bahamas. Then he gets Covid. Seems like one thing after another....

If the Wrench we all know and love is back, then this deep a team with the way it is coming together/compliments each other skillwise will be one tough "out" come tourney time. Just gotta keep on improving every aspect every week like the Calhoun teams did. This could be a really fun March.

Reaction Score
Is it just me, or have they figured out to have Squirrel and Sanogo on the floor together and have it be highly effective? I am sincerely asking this, as I don't have anything more than a superficial understanding of the Xs and Os of the game. I just recall many posters expressing worry that such lineups weren't advantageous.

Reaction Score
Covid fog is lifting.. Getting his energy and groove back..
Dude, Covid fog is real.

I tested positive right before Christmas and even though I was out of commission for two days, I’m just starting to feel 100%.

I was at 80-90% for a solid three weeks and didn’t have my first “normal” weekend workout routine until last weekend. I can’t imagine what it would be like to adjust to high-major D1 basketball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom