I have loved Whaley as a player... | The Boneyard

I have loved Whaley as a player...

Reaction Score
I have loved Whaley as a player since he has arrived in Storrs. I don't know if he's injured or what, but he is not the defenseive player he was just a year ago, and he's a big liability on offense as well. Why is he in over Akok at the end of the game on either end.

Also, Johnson needs to get some of his minutes earlier on. It's time to start developing the guy. If Whaley starts showing shades of the player he was last year, then great, give him more time on. But until then, it's time to move on a little.

I love his toughness and the energy he usually plays with, but right now he looks lost.

Reaction Score
It’s nonsensical, especially since Whaley has regressed this year on both ends.

I’m all for giving your veterans their due, but when you have more talented underclassmen who are already better players, they should get their fair share of playing time as well.

Reaction Score
He doesn’t look as bouncy as he used to. He is dunking much less and not even jumping sometimes on defense.

I know he started off the year with an ankle injury. He had a rough game but I think he will be fine.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have loved Whaley as a player since he has arrived in Storrs. I don't know if he's injured or what, but he is not the defenseive player he was just a year ago, and he's a big liability on offense as well. Why is he in over Akok at the end of the game on either end.
Because he’s a better defender.

Reaction Score
He doesn’t look as bouncy as he used to. He is dunking much less and not even jumping sometimes on defense.

I know he started off the year with an ankle injury. He had a rough game but I think he will be fine.
Yeah think combination of banged up and not in best shape (likely had COVID, said he was on a minutes restriction today).

Reaction Score
Whaley didn't start for the first time in almost 2 years and didn't get many minutes until Sanogo hit foul trouble. I wouldn't say he had too many minutes today, despite a poor game. Akok doesn't have the physicality to bang down low in a game like this and Johnson doesn't yet either. That's why Whaley was in late.

Reaction Score
I commented in the first game this year that he looked slower than last year with less quick-twitch movement. I hoped it was an injury but now I'm not so sure. Both his legs/feet and arm/hand movements are slower. Does anyone know if he bulked up over the off-season? He just looks so sluggish. His quickness used to create so many blocks and contested shots but this season you can go entire games without much if any of that.

Where has the DPOY Isiah gone?

Reaction Score
I still like Akok on the floor with the way Whaley had played this game and the vast majority of this season. Whaley has been more "sieve" than "wrench" this season. I'm not putting the loss solely on him. Hurley did not coach a very good game. I'm not a bash Hurley guy, but he clearly was outcoached today. Hopefully he learns from this. Coaches aren't finsihed products either.

Reaction Score
He has been down right awful lately. No offensive ability and he struggles catching the ball. You have to develop Akok and Samson.
Maybe he misses Carlton
Not only room mates but I’m sure a guy who pushed him in practice.
I understand he has also fought illness.
Passing out after the Auburn game is unusual and might be something that shouldn’t be shrugged off. Does the team have a competent Dr other than Ortho?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He has been down right awful lately. No offensive ability and he struggles catching the ball. You have to develop Akok and Samson.
Couldn't disagree more - he has the quickest hands for a big man, and he has never been a great 1v1 defender, in fact no UConn player is even a good 1v1 defensive player. Whaley causes a lot of problem when he is allowed to freelance defensively as he has the last 2 years but not this year. He is not UConn's problem defensively - by far
He has been fighting illness/injuries this year

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I still like Akok on the floor with the way Whaley had played this game and the vast majority of this season. Whaley has been more "sieve" than "wrench" this season. I'm not putting the loss solely on him. Hurley did not coach a very good game. I'm not a bash Hurley guy, but he clearly was outcoached today. Hopefully he learns from this. Coaches aren't finsihed products either.
For $2 plus million he had better become better "finished" asap
His MO has always been a good recruiter not so much on game prep or in game coaching

Reaction Score
Anyone thinking we’re better with Akok on the floor than Whaley is whacked. Like them both but we lose so much defensively without Whaley out there its awful. But you’d have to see the little things which are important to understand.

Reaction Score
Couldn't disagree more - he has the quickest hands for a big man, and he has never been a great 1v1 defender, in fact no UConn player is even a good 1v1 defensive player. Whaley causes a lot of problem when he is allowed to freelance defensively as he has the last 2 years but not this year. He is not UConn's problem defensively - by far
He has been fighting illness/injuries this year
You see Kadary take him one on one several times?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Anyone thinking we’re better with Akok on the floor than Whaley is whacked. Like them both but we lose so much defensively without Whaley out there its awful. But you’d have to see the little things which are important to understand.
Akok has been a liability on defense this year. Which is a shame because he has been great for spacing on the offensive end with his 3 point shooting.

I actually liked our starting lineup today with Akok in over Whaley. Thought it gave the offense a good early boost. But defensively need Whaley in there down the stretch.

Reaction Score

Also, Johnson needs to get some of his minutes earlier on. It's time to start developing the guy. If Whaley starts showing shades of the player he was last year, then great, give him more time on. But until then, it's time to move on a little.

I love his toughness and the energy he usually plays with, but right now he looks lost.
Whalley has been terrible defending in the post this season. Hes been unbelievably bad.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Akok has been a liability on defense this year. Which is a shame because he has been great for spacing on the offensive end with his 3 point shooting.

I actually liked our starting lineup today with Akok in over Whaley. Thought it gave the offense a good early boost. But defensively need Whaley in there down the stretch.
'I actually liked our starting lineup today with Akok in over Whaley.'

me too, and as far as today's Huskie 'news,' this would be it.
now, where are the 'slow start' whiners?
big game away, and we came out lit. noice.

does this move by coach today qualify for the 'everrthing dan does is wrong' thread?

Reaction Score
You see Kadary take him one on one several times?
Fair. Once DH switched from Martin to Whaley covering Richmond, I expected big changes that never happened. Whaley definitely did not seem as strong as usual in the post, especially against a guy who is 6'6 200.

Whaley is probably my most favorite player in at least five years and I just want him to get better fast. Can't wait to cheer my butt off for him on Senior Night.

Reaction Score
Fair. Once DH switched from Martin to Whaley covering Richmond, I expected big changes that never happened. Whaley definitely did not seem as strong as usual in the post, especially against a guy who is 6'6 200.

Whaley is probably my most favorite player in at least five years and I just want him to get better fast. Can't wait to cheer my butt off for him on Senior Night.

Everyone had trouble with Richmond one on one. Whaley made many other very good defensive plays during the game, he was far from the issue. I’m with you his impact is much more positive than anything else.

Reaction Score
Everyone had trouble with Richmond one on one. Whaley made many other very good defensive plays during the game, he was far from the issue. I’m with you his impact is much more positive than anything else.
No one person was going to stop him at that point. Hurley needed to stop the bleeding per say and find some other type of defense to slow him down and it was not to put a different defender on him. Whaley is a plus for this team.

Reaction Score
His stats look similar to last season but he looks nothing like the same player. He doesn't do anything on offense which is nothing new but he now routinely gets beat on defense. That final Kadary match-up would have been a Ricky Moore moment last season, instead it was Whaley letting a guard back him down and giving up the and 1.

He was the heart and soul of the team last season, not seeing any of that this year.

Reaction Score
I'm not gonna hold yesterday against him, he was clearly not healthy. But he's definitely looked noticeably worse this year. The stats don't back that up and he's been one of our more valuable players by most advanced stats, but he needs to pick it up if we're going to make a deep run

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom