I Find This From Geno Unbelievable | The Boneyard

I Find This From Geno Unbelievable

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
“That’s unbelievable, right?” coach Geno Auriemma said following Sunday’s 81-61 win over Houston. “We’ve played everywhere in the country except at home. It’ll be good, it’ll be good to get on our home court.”

Yeah, Geno, I agree. So maybe next year the guy who did that to the team will do it differently! Sheesh.

Women’s basketball gameday: Cincinnati at No. 3 UConn

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Hmmmm.

“I think we’re pretty tired — I think both physically and mentally," senior Katie Lou Samuelson said. "That’s what happens on road trips, and we’ve had a few road trips, and we’re going to have a few more. [It’s important to] make sure that when you do play that last game of the trip making sure you’re locked in and making sure you’re not thinking about going home.”

UConn women excited to return to Gampel Pavilion against Cincinnati in first home game since Dec. 8 - Hartford Courant

Reaction Score
“That’s unbelievable, right?” coach Geno Auriemma said following Sunday’s 81-61 win over Houston. “We’ve played everywhere in the country except at home. It’ll be good, it’ll be good to get on our home court.”

Yeah, Geno, I agree. So maybe next year the guy who did that to the team will do it differently! Sheesh.

Women’s basketball gameday: Cincinnati at No. 3 UConn

Ha good post

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well think about where they've been.

Home
then to US Virgin Islands
Home
to midwest (ND and Depaul)
Home
Finals
to OK and CA
Home OR straight on to home (CA/TN/MO/AR/GA etc.) for Christmas
back to Home Storrs
to TX (Baylor and Houston)
and finally...back Home...for a bit.

They racking up some mileage. And they still got long trips to New Orleans, FL (twice), OK (again), KY, and Ohio.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Home
Home
Home
Finals
to OK and CA
back to Home Storrs

They racking up some mileage. And they still got long trips to New Orleans, FL (twice), OK (again), KY, and Ohio.
Don’t forget the long trip to Tampa in April....;)

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I will say this traveling can be taxing on the body wether You realize it or not.
Yeah. They are 20 year old elite athletes. They travel by air and stay in nice hotels. That's really taxing.

Reaction Score
Yeah. They are 20 year old elite athletes. They travel by air and stay in nice hotels. That's really taxing.

Traveling by commercial air is tiring. They go through security, wait at gates and sit in cramped seats like the rest of us. No one likes it and it is annoying and tiring. Why do you need to pretend that they are immune to what annoys the rest of us?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Spoken from someone who did a lot of traveling during the college athletic career I suppose? NOT! That's what I like about this board, so many well informed because they lived views and have lots of compassion.

Familiar surroundings, normal routines, friends and ability to be by yourself are what makes people successful, athletes included. I have done both college athletic trips and business trips (both when I was young and now that I am older) and YES, they are taxing on the mind more so than the body but taxing on both.

These are not normal routines by any stretch and add in the time zone changes, eegads...Head bang

Reaction Score
If You travel a lot it can get taxing. It can suck Your energy. Doesn’t matter how old You are. I’m 23 Years old and in the rare case I have to travel a lot it can catch up to me. You can ask any athlete traveling a lot. They’ll tell You how it can get.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Home
Home
Home
Finals
to OK and CA
back to Home Storrs

i posted this a couple of weeks ago:

1600 miles to the Virgin Islands
800 miles to South Bend
360 miles to from South Bend to St Louis
1592 miles to OK
1645 miles from OK to Cal (after Cal game kids flew to respective homes)
1700 miles to play Baylor.

Reaction Score
Spoken from someone who did a lot of traveling during the college athletic career I suppose? NOT! That's what I like about this board, so many well informed because they lived views and have lots of compassion.

Familiar surroundings, normal routines, friends and ability to be by yourself are what makes people successful, athletes included. I have done both college athletic trips and business trips (both when I was young and now that I am older) and YES, they are taxing on the mind more so than the body but taxing on both.

These are not normal routines by any stretch and add in the time zone changes, eegads...Head bang

Putting aside the crazy amount of air travel, I don't believe many folks realize the amount of work that goes into being a college athlete in addition to the day to day tasks required of being a successful college student............... the idea that many of the UConn student athletes also excel in the classroom given the number of hours they spend year round in training is really beyond me

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Travelling is really bad for the players nursing injuries.

Not relevant to this year's team, but Gabby had a hip flexor issue last year. Turns out I had the same thing (only figured it out around January when my wife looked it up), and I was teaching my daughter to drive. After an hour of sitting in a reasonably comfortable, not-cramped car seat, I looked like an old man trying to get out. My daughter said something to the effect, "Dad you're crippled, why don't you give up running?"

I couldn't imagine sitting in a plane for five hours when I was like that. I'm sure all of our players have nagging issues, and most are taller than I.

Reaction Score
Traveling by commercial air is tiring. They go through security, wait at gates and sit in cramped seats like the rest of us. No one likes it and it is annoying and tiring. Why do you need to pretend that they are immune to what annoys the rest of us?
They don't travel by commercial air. That's the WNBA. UConn is pretty much all charter, 5-star accommodations (including $500 of OJ at breakfast, if I remember one of the spending scandals correctly). I don't feel sorry for them. Plus the more you travel the more you get used to it. Not that it isn't nice to be home in your own bed, but traveling has its learning curve and you get more comfortable - they ought to be pretty good at it by now.

Reaction Score

Home
Home
Home
Finals
to OK and CA
back to Home Storrs

3 games in 16 days! IMO they’re tired from all the BS. Play some games and get better! Basketball players like to play basketball! Let them play! Road trips are great for kids! Away from boring routine. Basketball 24-7. Maybe these girls don’t like basketball like that. Do you think DT would complain about 3 games in 16 days?

Reaction Score
These are Civilians and are not expected (train) Practice, travel, engage, and home. Hotels are NEVER as your own bed to you. Hotel food, restaurant food gets old. As Dorothy told Aunty Em There is no place like home.

Reaction Score
3 games in 16 days! IMO they’re tired from all the BS. Play some games and get better! Basketball players like to play basketball! Let them play! Road trips are great for kids! Away from boring routine. Basketball 24-7. Maybe these girls don’t like basketball like that. Do you think DT would complain about 3 games in 16 days?
Would DT, Shea, Svet complain about 3 games in 16 days? YOu bet! They'd wonder why ONLY 3 why not 12?

Reaction Score
They don't travel by commercial air. That's the WNBA. UConn is pretty much all charter, 5-star accommodations (including $500 of OJ at breakfast, if I remember one of the spending scandals correctly). I don't feel sorry for them. Plus the more you travel the more you get used to it. Not that it isn't nice to be home in your own bed, but traveling has its learning curve and you get more comfortable - they ought to be pretty good at it by now.

You may be correct some travel well. I didn't. But with time of they should be raring to go. Hope Geno sees fit to give Olivia and Coombs and Irwin many minutes.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Tired from what? They haven't had class for nearly a month, have played just four games in the last 32 days, and have played the least number of games of the top 25 teams (tied w/Stanford).
Not the case at all. They may not be going to class but they are still studying and getting a head start on the next semester of class because they know they will be traveling much of the next semester.

Reaction Score
One of the undiscussed challenges with UConn playing in the AAC is the amount of travel required. Pretty much every game is a flight, and with two teams in Texas and two in Florida, some of those flights are long ones. One more thing that got lost when conferences were reshuffled to ignore traditional geographic pairings.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom