I fell in love with Christian Vital Saturday | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I fell in love with Christian Vital Saturday

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Olliewood is correct. Vital is the closest thing we have to Shabazz on this team. He is the best of this freshman recruiting class in overall game and performance. He is much better than Craig Austrie and he is only a freshman. Vital has a chance to be an NBA player if he keeps improving.

There is no way Alterique who is a 5'9 with a bad shoulder should be starting over Vital. Vital is a player with swagger and the talent to back it up like UCONN legends of past. He's also got a connection with Adams. I wouldn't mess with it. Alterique and MAL would have to be NBA one and done guys to beat out Vital.

This is a no brainer, Vital is second behind Adams on the guards depth chart and its not even close.
Gilbert if healthy is going to start. Gilbert could get passed by vital and MAL but now vital would be a great 6th man

Reaction Score
I would like to bring Gilbert along slowly next year. Plus I worry about his outside shooting. I like the idea if bringing him off the bench like we did with Shabazz when he was freshman. Change of pace guard. Vital to me is exactly what this team has been missing the last couple of years. He will play a TON next year.

Reaction Score
I doubt it but he might realize he could be the 4th guard behind JA, AG and MAL and wants to go somewhere he knows he'll start and play 30+ minutes/night.

Plus, no idea knowing his relationship with KO.

Where the hell would he be going?

In terms of starters for next year, there will be a hell of a competition, something we could use more of.

The only starter etched in stone is Adams. Everyone else has to earn it. But I expect each of Adams, Vital, Gilbert, MAL, Larrier, and Jackson to earn upwards of 20 mpg, with a few above 30 mpg.

Reaction Score

Is this bad? I hope this is NOT a goodbye.

Not at all. Listen to the full press conference, he makes it clear about with this year taught him that he will bring to the team next year. In fact, right after that you hear Jaylen allude to next year. So I think were fine I think he's just thanking everyone for acknowledging his efforts and being a good dude

Reaction Score
Have you watched any Dennis Smith, Ball, Fultz or Fox this year?

I watched some UK yesterday, wow Fox is a stud.

Not say MAL or AG are at this level, but the frosh thing may not matter for them as much.

Lets face it, experience wise, AG will still be a freshmen next season. The experience Vital received this season was tremendous.

Reaction Score
He gave his all, he wanted it, he played with that determination and toughness that UConn basketball is all about. I thought the team played hard overall, but his effort and sacrifice was special.

We're going to like this kid

Agree this kid is tough. I just hope we hire a big mans coach for next year. And recruit a solid big man. Instead of all the projects we have been bringing in. Or we will not improve much without inside players.

Reaction Score
Not at all. Listen to the full press conference, he makes it clear about with this year taught him that he will bring to the team next year. In fact, right after that you hear Jaylen allude to next year. So I think were fine I think he's just thanking everyone for acknowledging his efforts and being a good dude

I sure hope so. I think Vital is my favorite player on the team right now. You don't come across players that play with the energy he does very often. Would hate to see him go.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I was really impressed with the way Vital played all season. Its true that with all the injuries he played a lot more than was expected of him. If Vital can have a four year career similar to Craig Austrie, then I will be perfectly fine with that and it would be a huge help for the team. Its always a good thing to have an experienced guard who can handle the ball.

With all due respect to Craig Austrie, IMO Vital is already better than he ever was.

Reaction Score
We struggle to land elite big men, we get tier 2-3 type guys. I know Durham was high at one point, but fell off a lot

Agree, big man coach is a must.

I like what they are doing, will have 6 guys competing for mins at the 4-5 so hopefully that helps and if it is committee or the hot hand that can work.

Agree this kid is tough. I just hope we hire a big mans coach for next year. And recruit a solid big man. Instead of all the projects we have been bringing in. Or we will not improve much without inside players.

Reaction Score
We struggle to land elite big men, we get tier 2-3 type guys. I know Durham was high at one point, but fell off a lot

Agree, big man coach is a must.

I like what they are doing, will have 6 guys competing for mins at the 4-5 so hopefully that helps and if it is committee or the hot hand that can work.
everyone struggles to land elite big men. we win championships with good guard play and a serviceable center. what we really need is another shonn miller jeff adrien type who can rebound.

Reaction Score
Think he deserves to be in the running to start, but I like his passion and toughness to be that 1st guard off the bench. He just has the "it" to stir things up when required.

Loved what he did yesterday but thought we saw a kid grow before our eyes all year, one that some here questioned as to why "waste a scholarship".

Free Crow to all of those!;)

Reaction Score
My younger daughter is sitting next to me on the plane. She just looked over at my iPad and was trying to figure out what I am doing. She saw this thread title and said, "Dad, is Christian pretty? Does mom know you like her?"

Precious moment huh hound? LOL

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
My younger daughter is sitting next to me on the plane. She just looked over at my iPad and was trying to figure out what I am doing. She saw this thread title and said, "Dad, is Christian pretty? Does mom know you like her?"

I just hope willie99's wife doesn't see this thread title.

Reaction Score
Think he deserves to be in the running to start, but I like his passion and toughness to be that 1st guard off the bench.
Given the way we've started games the last few years, I like that passion and toughness on the court from the tip.

Reaction Score
Really impressed with his play. He can shoot, he's always around the ball, he's tough, plays good defense and wants to win. His growth this season has been excellent. If he continues to work on that outside shot he'll be even more deadly. He also plays with an edge which we need.

Reaction Score
I disagree. There is a reason this was an awful team, a lot of it due to having to play CV and VJ such big minutes instead of AG and TL.
Hey, JSM,

The earth is round.
The sky is blue.
The ocean is wet.

Let's see what you come up w to disagree w those things too. You really are a miserable . Go find another team to NOT root for, we'd all be better for it.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Olliewood is correct. Vital is the closest thing we have to Shabazz on this team. He is the best of this freshman recruiting class in overall game and performance. He is much better than Craig Austrie and he is only a freshman. Vital has a chance to be an NBA player if he keeps improving.

There is no way Alterique who is a 5'9 with a bad shoulder should be starting over Vital. Vital is a player with swagger and the talent to back it up like UCONN legends of past. He's also got a connection with Adams. I wouldn't mess with it. Alterique and MAL would have to be NBA one and done guys to beat out Vital.

This is a no brainer, Vital is second behind Adams on the guards depth chart and its not even close.

Love Vital, but Adams has much more of a Shabazz game at this point.

Reaction Score
As good as AG will likely be, last thing we want is to start an untested freshman coming back from injury/surgery if we don't have to, and luckily we don't. Vital should start the season, if for not other reason than the experience, drive, and chemistry/continuity with the rest of the team from this year (not to mention he's plain pretty good). We don't want a repeat of the beginning of this year with two WTF losses, and I have more confidence that it won't happen with Vital starting. If AG (or even MAL) is as good as he should be, he will beat him out for that starting spot by the beginning of conference play.

Reaction Score
How many teams in the country will have a quartet of guards like we will next year.
If the bigs just play average, we are going to be a very good team

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom