I feel bad for AG and CV | The Boneyard

I feel bad for AG and CV

Reaction Score
They’re obviously trying to help this team, even if it’s not helping. I really do hope they can improve as soon as possible. This team needs them and I understand Bouknight looks great and we should give him more minutes but we need to be patient with AG and CV as well as JC. All of them have been not reaching our expectations, but it’s a long season and it’s only November. DH knows what’s right though.

Reaction Score
Problem is AG and CV continue to make the same mistakes at the end of games.

CV continues to chuck bad shots in horrible moments that 3 was inexcusable last night.
AG for the life of me needs to figure out how to pull up when he beats his man he's not going to be able to get into the lane and finish amongst the trees
JC: Just had a bad game and needs to finish better.

The problems lie in the fact that CV is who he is he plays hard but let's be real he wouldn't have gotten any minutes on any of our teams from 1990-2016.

AG: Had two years taken away from him because of the shoulder but man last night was just frustrating and that should never happen again.

I am of the belief that after Sunday it's time to turn the page and make the starting line up
Gaffney
Bouk
Polley
Akok
Carlton
Bench
AG
Vital
Adams
Sid
Whaley

Time to let the kids play they'll get us some postseason ball but next year is the team the one that will restore the greatness of the programs tradition

Reaction Score
Patient?? You mean like wait a few more years to see if they improve?? This is the 4th year for both of them. They really shouldn’t be making the kind of mistakes they are making now. They are making mistakes of immaturity. You can’t have that from your senior “leaders”.

Reaction Score
Asking to be patient with Seniors is a bridge too far, IMO. Vital has been Vital (volume shooter and scorer, poor shot selector, great rebounder, energetic) other than last night’s game. AG has been terrible in almost every aspect of the game. Our focus should be on next year - let the kids play and develop. No sense in wasting valuable minutes when we are a fringe tourney team this year. I want to win but we need to play the long game here.

Reaction Score
What makes me feel bad is watching Gilbert drive adjacent to the hoop vs three guys and get swatted or Vital dribble off his foot. I'm so excited for next year's team however. This feels like a 2010 type of season leading into a 2011 type.

Reaction Score
People are wayyyyy to critical of Gilbert and vital. Especially Gilbert, people are acting like he’s playing the worst out of anyone of the team. He’s not shooting well, some bad shots but also lots of open shots just not going in. But we literally have no offense without him in the game (without him the offense consists of throwing the ball to Carlton in the post and hoping for magic). Gilbert has the ability to get past the first defender and drive (something no other guard has been doing except maybe for bouknight) and has been a floor general on the court.

Defensively he’s been okay. sometimes I question when he goes and plays help defense, leaving people open for 3s too often (it’s already easy to shoot over him). But he also stays in front of players trying to drive pretty well.

let’s also not forget that it’s still November. Gilbert and Vital are in shooting funks, but this is the time to work those kinks out rather than in league play

Reaction Score
I love that because Vital has poor shot selection the last two games and has not shot well otherwise means he’s not helping the team.

He gets to the line more than anyone else on the team where he shoots 97%, he’s averaging 10 rebounds a game as a 6 foot guard, he’s top 375 in defensive rebounding in the country at 6 feet tall, he’s averaging almost 4 steals a game which is top 35 in the country.

Yes his shot selection has been poor and he hasn’t hit his open shots like he did last year. But if you don’t think he’s helping the team in other ways you’re just blind.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I love that because Vital has poor shot selection the last two games and has not shot well otherwise means he’s not helping the team.
He didn't do enough to make up for all the TO's and bricks.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
It appears that Bouknight can draw fouls while also finishing. AV/CV cannot.

Reaction Score

He gets to the line more than anyone else on the team where he shots 97%, he’s averaging 10 rebounds a game as a 6 foot guard, he’s top 375 in defensive rebounding in the country at 6 feet tall, he’s averaging almost 4 steals a game which is top 35 in the country.

Yes his shot selection has been poor and he hasn’t hit his open shots like he did last year. But if you don’t think he’s helping the team in other ways you’re just blind.
I love it when people make up things that nobody said. Vital and Alterique can contribute and make good plays while still losing the game for us down the stretch with dumb hero ball.

Reaction Score
I love it when people make up things that nobody said. Vital and Alterique can contribute and make good plays while still losing the game for us down the stretch with dumb hero ball.
Literally the first sentence of the first post of this thread is “even if they’re not helping.” It was said. And for the record, I don’t think Al is helping really in any way besides playing good on ball defense.

Reaction Score
None of this stuff is all that unfixable. Gilbert has to pick his spots a hell of a lot better and I'd be thrilled if he didn't try to flip the ball off the backboard with a 7 footer draped all over him, but these are remediable issues at this point. They both bring a lot to the table and will be critical to the success of this team going forward, there are times when they run great offense when both of those guys are on the court, they just need to clean up this hero stuff when the game gets to lemon booty time. That was a fun game to watch but they should have won that ____ five or six times.

Reaction Score
Here comes Dave huskies fan to aid vitals rescue again. Lol.

I do not feel bad for the seniors. A reality check is long overdue. Sometimes life does that to us and we need to accept it and adapt.

Vital’s reality check should have sunk in two years ago when he knocked on the NBA’s door and they slammed it shut on him.

If the OP is worried about their egos being hurt, winning can fix that. And to win they need to start deferring to the young guys more often, each play and asap.

Again for the hundredth million time @DaveHuskiesFan your stats don’t apply when the most important stat for Vital here is that he hasn’t sniffed a postseason game in his entire career.

Now is his opportunity to do that. He needs to knuckle up and play HIS game within his limits and let Bouk take over offensively at crunch time or at least kick it to an open Polley.

In other words, no more jacking up deep 3s off the dribble or throwing up right hand wild layups on the left side against 6’10 guys inside,he’s not good enough.
He’s a catch and shoot guy and a drive and kick guy and that’s about it

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think CV is in a shooting funk. CV has a pretty 3 point shot and can rebound. He had I think 12 rebounds last night (team lead). I think he just hasn’t had it for a few games. When he finds it, I think it will elevate the team.
And he had that really smart play at the end of the Florida game where he just held onto the ball. Very, very smart. I like CV.

Reaction Score
Vital is still needed on the court because he’s a solid defender and great rebounder. I can live with his bonehead shot selection from time to time.

Alterique right now doesn’t have any redeeming qualities IMO. Hopefully he figures it out.

Reaction Score
We prob win in regulation if he isn’t in the game at the end against Xavier. His late game decisions helped to cost us the game

lol my man, he took one shot in the last four minutes and didn’t have a turnover.

Reaction Score
lol my man, he took one shot in the last four minutes and didn’t have a turnover.
I watched the game brother. I know what happened. You’re not watching with a critical eye, that’s the problem.
This will be a fun thing between me and you this season. I kind of enjoy it to be honest. I feel we are really connecting on a personal level

Reaction Score

His second half 3 with 43 seconds left didn't help. Time to bench CV and let the kids run. He wants to sniff the postseason he needs to be option 4-6.

Reaction Score

Lets also be honest I think CV would rather score 20 points and lose than score 8 and win. If it wasn't for the worst downturn in program history he would never have been recruited here.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I think CV leads the team in everything, except TOs

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member