I don’t know what to make of this one | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I don’t know what to make of this one

Reaction Score
Is our D that good or is DePaul just atrocious?

For awhile the announcers were saying how DePaul couldn’t handle our D, yet they were still winning. Eventually we took the lead, so we didn’t fall victim to the announcer hex.

Either way, heck of a road win. We gutted that out. We can win ugly too.
To your question, both.

DePaul is terrible and UConn has one of the best defenses in the country.

Reaction Score
I'm just going to chalk this one up to those stinkers that come along once in a while. But the positive is they still won. Sign of a good team. Well as long as that was an outlier ugly performance.

And DePaul does stink. Peeuw! I think they'll be lucky to win more than 2 games in the Big East.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Is our D that good or is DePaul just atrocious?

For awhile the announcers were saying how DePaul couldn’t handle our D, yet they were still winning. Eventually we took the lead, so we didn’t fall victim to the announcer hex.

Either way, heck of a road win. We gutted that out. We can win ugly too.
Uconn’s D won the game. Martin’s offense helped to win the game. They need a healthy Bouknight. Was a good team effort to get the W. Winning without Bouknight will help them a lot in the long run. That’s my take.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I think the week off is actually good for us.

I mentioned this in a PM to some guys. We just won 3 road Big East games in 6 days with essentially nothing from Bouknight. If you can't be happy with that, I don't know what to say.

DePaul may suck, but I wouldn't want to play them in another month after they get more games under their belt.
I agree. But I don't think DePaul sucked tonight. Played three times better than the first. Their defense was very tough. I didn't see the stats but it looked like they rebounded well. I think we beat a good defensive team tonight.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Depaul did a good job shutting down Polley. We missed so many bunnies. We missed so many foul shots. We made way too many stupid passes and turnovers. We are missing the future POY in college basketball.

Yet we win.....

As bad as it was watching, this was the kind of game to snap their egos back in place and motivate them that no win is given.
That’s a good point. This Bouknight injury was a blessing in disguise - we’re learning how to play as a team.

But when Bouknight comes back and hits his stride, Polley keeps hitting 3s, and Martin keeps slashing...the defense better pick their poison.

Hoopcrazee

Hoopcrazee
Reaction Score
PROGRESS!!!!..would have parlayed all those missed free throws into a very ugly loss 1, 2 and 3 years ago..Nice road win...3 in a row...Last time we had a 3 game road win streak was when??????

Reaction Score
The most concerning stat to me is being outrebounded by 10 by DePaul. That is not part of our usual formula for success.

Reaction Score
In 6 years in the aac we never won at SMU, although I think we only played in Dallas 5 out of the 6 years. We have just won 3 straight on the road in the NBE. I’ll take that any day.

Reaction Score
I can’t believe Charlie Moore is the same Charlie Moore that played at Cal. I feel like I was in college when he was a freshman at Cal, and I’m 42.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
The most concerning stat to me is being outrebounded by 10 by DePaul. That is not part of our usual formula for success.
I was surprised by that stat. It wasn’t really obvious during the game other than the offensive rebound putbacks when we were helping down low. Aggressive shot blocking can do that but 10 is a lot.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
We swept Depaul with the 2nd win being on the road in our first year back in the Big East. Winning twice is tough enough but the return game on the road without your best player shows how far they have progressed. Ugly or not I'm thrilled with the win & series sweep over any team in this league.

Reaction Score
It's a win, a good thing when you play like crap w/o your stud and find a way. Bad news is there was some things that scare the daylights out of you because we have had this streak with an awful half vs Marquette, a decent game vs Butler and an awful overall game vs DePaul. Don't get me wrong not complaining taking these 3 but won't happen against Nova, Xavier, Hall or even PC if we dare to take off halves or play a game like last night they will not be in the W column. While the defense was good last night it was only good, although they did make plays down the stretch. Part of that was DePaul having some clueless players trying to make plays also but I don't want to take anything from our guys.

Anyone notice that there were a lot less screens involving Whaley's man especially in the first half? Expect more of that as coaches have now acknowledged he disrupts a ton and makes plays. But he also didn't play great D off the screen last night as he was looking to make plays and was out of position not only for his man but for rebounding. IW was good, but he wasn't the really good IW last night. Our rotations weren't as solid as they were in prior games but still the aggression was there. This team really needs Bouk back with the upcoming schedule, badly. It will help with the guard rotation as too much Gaff and Cole can drive me batty. But also it will help ease the pain Polley gets now that he has that hue target on his back. I'm ok with Tyler coming off the bench but these 2 in the lineup together can only make it tougher on the opposing defenses. Add the way Martin is getting to the hoop the Huskies can create some tough matchup. Now if only they could feed the big guys and play a little in and out they'd be really tough.

Long way to go but I really hope Bouk is fine and the hyper extension is all it is.

Reaction Score
DePaul is like the majority of D1 teams. When their offense was in rhythm they broke us down and got a ton of good shots. When their offense became disjointed, they didn't know how to fix it. We're like that some times. They don't have that one player or dynamic duo that can carry a team when nothing else is working. We have multiple guys you can turn to when things are not going well plus a superstar who can get points one-on-five when desperately needed.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Miss CV's guaranteed free throw makes
I don't miss his selfish play in close games. He blew the Xavier and Wichita State games last year to name two. They wouldn't have the team play attitude they have if he was on the team.

Reaction Score
I think the week off is actually good for us.

I mentioned this in a PM to some guys. We just won 3 road Big East games in 6 days with essentially nothing from Bouknight. If you can't be happy with that, I don't know what to say.

DePaul may suck, but I wouldn't want to play them in another month after they get more games under their belt.
If we could play DePaul 15 times in the next month we’d be somewhere between 14-1 or 15-0. They can play 50 games and they will still be awful. At the end of the day lack of talent is lack of talent.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom