"I defy anybody to say well we know exactly what you're going to do on first down" | The Boneyard

"I defy anybody to say well we know exactly what you're going to do on first down"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"I defy anybody to say well we know exactly what you're going to do on first down."

Paul Pasqualoni,

University of Connecticut Head Football Coach
to the Hartford Courant, October 10, 2012

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Is he actually egging the crowd to chant, "Run, run, run!" before every first down play?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
P - "Go a head, just try to figure out the mystery that is UConn on first down. My boy George wallpapers his house with plays so devious that we're not even sure they're legal. You have have no chance here, but go a head and try to guess what we're going to do here!"

Me - "You're going to run up the middle with McCombs."

P - "Holy duck*. How did you figure that out?"

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Who still has the guts to remind the Board why they thought he was a good hire?
Hey, I have no problem admitting it. I was excited at the prospect of having a guy with a wealth of college - but more significantly, NFL - experience in here. A Connecticut guy. I wasn't concerned about his age (still not, really). I thought he'd be able to take us up a level.

As it turns out, it seems he learned nothing in the NFL and I was very, very wrong.

That quote is a stunner.

Reaction Score
The fact that you guys think that a highly paid coach of a Division 1 football team who has more years of football experience than most of our alive will cater to the opinions of 27 people on a message board who think they represent the entirety of the fan base is laughable.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
The fact that you guys think that a highly paid coach of a Division 1 football team who has more years of football experience than most of our alive will cater to the opinions of 27 people on a message board who think they represent the entirety of the fan base is laughable.

UConn is discounting an abundance of tickets for a homecoming game in early fall. It is more than 27 people.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Nobody thinks that and nobody expects it. It would be nice for him to at least acknowledge the reality that constantly doing the same thing over and over hasn't worked. But, hey, 7th game's the charm...

Reaction Score

Here's the DEAL ... (except for the Chicago Cubs who draw no matter what their record is (and we ain't there)) ... when you start to flatline & see attendance down 4000 bodies; when the few big donors we have are calling/emailing Herbst/Manual; when you have 2 administrators who weren't involved in the hiring of PP; then, you have a situation that our groundswell of 27 feeds the groundswell (and writes the column) of Jeff Jacobs which feeds the donors/fans. See ... a classic flushing sound.

Reaction Score

He's not going to be a highly paid coach of a division 1 football team much longer if he isn't able to turn this thing around.

That's just my humble opinion of course.

I don't expect him to cater to my opinion. I expect him to do a better job, or I don't expect him to be around after next year. Since Manuel didn't hire him, I believe he will not have any reservations about making his own hire sooner rather than later.

Reaction Score
Nobody thinks that and nobody expects it. It would be nice for him to at least acknowledge the reality that constantly doing the same thing over and over hasn't worked. But, hey, 19th game's the charm...

FIFY

Reaction Score

Do you honestly look at that quote in the thread title and not do a facepalm? Why do you keep toting water for this guy?

Reaction Score
Do you honestly look at that quote in the thread title and not do a facepalm? Why do you keep toting water for this guy?

He's setting the trap for Addazio.... Bwahahaha.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Hey, I have no problem admitting it. I was excited at the prospect of having a guy with a wealth of college - but more significantly, NFL - experience in here. A Connecticut guy. I wasn't concerned about his age (still not, really). I thought he'd be able to take us up a level.

As it turns out, it seems he learned nothing in the NFL and I was very, very wrong.

That quote is a stunner.

It's not that he hasn't learned anything or that he is an idiot.

It's that the offensive schemes he is allowing DeLeone to teach, practice and use aren't translated to onfield success. Could be that the stuff is too technical to teach to younger, still developing players. But, a head coach has to "see" that and put corrections in place. It's still on PP's lap.

Reaction Score

I'm not toting water for the guy, I'm commenting on some of the reactions I've seen on this board

When I first came here about three years ago when trying to find a place to discuss UConn football, I found a place that where people loved UCONN FOOTBALL, not necessarily the coach or the players or the AD, but the UCONN FOOTBALL PROGRAM and had knowledgeable discussions about it and would support the program NO MATTER WHAT

Then two years ago our coach who most probably thought would take the program to the promised land left in the middle of the night and personally I think this board has eroded ever since. Now people seem (keyword) ignorant and down right stupid in some of the comments and discussions that have happened particularly over the past 6 games......say that again to yourself......SIX GAMES!!!...like are you freaking kidding me

I guess people gave PP a pass last year because we were breaking in a new QB and lost some playmakers.....well guess what, we're doing the EXACT same thing this year, with a completely inexperienced Offensive Line

Look, do I want and wish we had a better record....sure of course I do, everyone wants to be 12 - 0 every year

Do I think this coaching staff has made a multitude of mistakes that they probably shouldn't have......sure of course I do, but show me a perfect season called by any coach in the NFL or college and I'll sing a different song

This is college football people.....not the NFL, we don't have grown men that have been playing for the same coach for 8 - 10 years or an offensive line / QB tandem that has had 500 starts with each other

Just because you win the national championship one year, does not mean you should even be in a bowl game the next because every year is potentially different because in all reality you only get 2 - 3 years with a player before he moves on and a younger, rookie takes his spot

All I'm saying is, this is HCPP's 18th game and has been with the program for less than 2 years, AT LEAST wait until the end of next year before you start calling for his head.....I mean if I was a recruit and saw this board I would be turned off instantly, there is a line between passionate and crazy

Reaction Score
Who still has the guts to remind the Board why they thought he was a good hire?

I do. Somebody should have beat his ass the moment he suggested to let Deleone be the primary decision maker on offense, but I think it was a good hire for many reasons, and the understanding he has of recruiting for our region is absolutely #1.

There's still a lot of season left, and we clearly are in a Big East season where, the conference is quite strong, and we're not near the top of the strongest, at the half way mark, on the season, but we're not necessarily on bottom either, the games still have to be played.

Syracuse was 5-1, 2011, with I think some pretty nice wins along the way, and finished 5-7. We were 3-4 in 2010, and finished 8-4.

A lot can happen, it goes one week at a time. I will reserve my judgment for whether or not we are progressing or regressing, for when the season is over. As of right now, the offense has nothing at all to show for progress at all from year 1 to year 2. The defense and kicking games have.

All that said - Holy what the hell was he thinking saying that. what are we going to do on first down? I hope our players know - many times they don't seem to.

Reaction Score
Holy duckck. I read the whole interview to see if the quote was taken out of context. It wasn't. Holy duckck.

Reaction Score
I'm not toting water for the guy, I'm commenting on some of the reactions I've seen on this board

When I first came here about three years ago when trying to find a place to discuss UConn football, I found a place that where people loved UCONN FOOTBALL, not necessarily the coach or the players or the AD, but the UCONN FOOTBALL PROGRAM and had knowledgeable discussions about it and would support the program NO MATTER WHAT

Then two years ago our coach who most probably thought would take the program to the promised land left in the middle of the night and personally I think this board has eroded ever since. Now people seem (keyword) ignorant and down right stupid in some of the comments and discussions that have happened particularly over the past 6 games......say that again to yourself......SIX GAMES!!!...like are you freaking kidding me

I guess people gave PP a pass last year because we were breaking in a new QB and lost some playmakers.....well guess what, we're doing the EXACT same thing this year, with a completely inexperienced Offensive Line

Look, do I want and wish we had a better record....sure of course I do, everyone wants to be 12 - 0 every year

Do I think this coaching staff has made a multitude of mistakes that they probably shouldn't have......sure of course I do, but show me a perfect season called by any coach in the NFL or college and I'll sing a different song

This is college football people.....not the NFL, we don't have grown men that have been playing for the same coach for 8 - 10 years or an offensive line / QB tandem that has had 500 starts with each other

Just because you win the national championship one year, does not mean you should even be in a bowl game the next because every year is potentially different because in all reality you only get 2 - 3 years with a player before he moves on and a younger, rookie takes his spot

All I'm saying is, this is HCPP's 18th game and has been with the program for less than 2 years, AT LEAST wait until the end of next year before you start calling for his head.....I mean if I was a recruit and saw this board I would be turned off instantly, there is a line between passionate and crazy

I think this is probably the most intelligent thing I've read on this message board in a very long time. Thank you.

I am not a huge fan of George Deleone. I wasn't a huge fan of Randy Edsall either. THe bottom line is this is UConn Football, and we want a winner, and we're frustrated.

Reaction Score
If you're going to defend P Flyer there's a better way to do it than making it personal. The "experience" defense is a red herring; his record last three years at Syracuse and first two here is 24-30. Go read what the Syracuse people are saying; it's uncanny how similar the criticisms are. No one is asking to be "catered to"; just some creative playcalling and a scheme that fits the talent available and passion, which Don Brown doesn't seem to have trouble providing. I think the chances are pretty good "the 27" here actually do represent the view of the small portion of the fanbase that actually tries to get to the game before kickoff and views football as or more important than tailgating. And I also think the chances are pretty good the size of the "entirety of the fan base" is smaller than what it was for the 2011 season opener.

Reaction Score
"I defy anybody to say well we know exactly what you're going to do on first down."

Paul Pasqualoni,

University of Connecticut Head Football Coach
to the Hartford Courant, October 10, 2011

sand.gif

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
P - "Go a head, just try to figure out the mystery that is UConn on first down. My boy George wallpapers his house with plays so devious that we're not even sure they're legal. You have have no chance here, but go a head and try to guess what we're going to do here!"

Me - "You're going to run up the middle with McCombs."

P - "Holy duck*. How did you figure that out?"
Exactly. It's like the scene in SpaceBalls with "1, 2, 3, 4"

Reaction Score

The people here see no glimpses of a team that's progressing... In most cases when a team has a losing record with a new coach you can see the direction of the team... For example Charlie Strong's first year wasn't all that great, but you seen potential... Now there 5-0 He was changing personal for the better! You don't see that here things are getting worst... It all starts with the coaches and the coaches job is to put there players in a position to execute, how can the offense execute with a vanilla offense?? They don't rotate running backs, you hire a defensive back coach to coach the RB's, and then you demote Foley who's been great for us as the O-line coach... Things are not in the right places... And we're crazy because we're passionate!

Reaction Score

Many here are being critical over PP because it was quotes like in the OP that show he's lost touch with reality. Not only did that show on the field but in the interviews as well. What was his purpose as a hire? I was under the impression it was to preserve the status quo and keep winning while a more suitable long term replacement were to be found a few years down the road. Well, he hasnt held the fort and it looks like he's taking the program backwards. It's not just about winning here, it's also about a style of play. While winning often cures everything, when you're losing AND playing horrendously boring football in the process it's a tall order to ask people to spend their hard earned money on this entertainment product. I don't see his brand of football ever being successful, and since he has shown absolutely no ability to adjust and learn from mistakes I feel that every game with him as head coach (along with his best pal George Deleone) is simply one less game, or one more game we have to wait for the inevitable future head coach of this program who will have to undue all of PP's screwups.

Also, a recruit doesnt need to see this board to be scared off, all he needs to see is the offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom