"I defy anybody to say well we know exactly what you're going to do on first down" | Page 3 | The Boneyard

"I defy anybody to say well we know exactly what you're going to do on first down"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You know, 2 years ago, pretty much almost to the day, we were 3-4, coming off our worst game in many years, and Randy Edsall "didn't get dumb overnight".

He was flipping everybody off around here too.

A little perspective. Lord knows I need it.

Left tackle - 5th or 6th year senior? Not sure - never played a full season.
Left guard - rotating players all year trying to find a consistent player.
Center - new starter
QB - new starter entered program in spring
FB - new starter
RB - soph - 166 lbs.
WR1 - senior - hasn't played in over a year.
WR2 - new starter
WR3 - new starter
TE1, TE2 - seniors multi year starters
RG - senior multi year starter
RT - junior multi year starter

WE can only put 11 guys on the field at a time on offense, and only 3 of them, have any significant game experience prior to this season

You know what? Our offense has played exactly like what they are - a bunch of inexperienced players, playing together.

My only problem with Deleone, is that I don't know if the guy is capable of catering his play calling, to his players strengths, or if he's just doing tactics and gimmicks.

I want to see us play simple offensive football, to our strengths, and develop some consistency.

We'll lose two starters off the line next year, two receivers, and two TE's.

I'm quite confident that the coaching staff is aware of this, and is preparing the underclassmen for next year, as we work through this year as well.

We need a bowl game this year, anything less is failure.

I don't believe that a guy like Coach P, doesn't have his eye on the big picture.

Next year, we will play the best home schedule with the new big east, and our OOC schedule, that we've ever had.

We need to be ready for that, and we need to win now, at the same time. I'ts crunch time now though, we've got 6 games to go this year, and a tough conference.

All those new players on offense, don't have the new excuse anymore,

and Coach P?

after this week, you don't have the new excuse for players anymore either.

pj

Reaction Score
You know, 2 years ago, pretty much almost to the day, we were 3-4, coming off our worst game in many years, and Randy Edsall "didn't get dumb overnight".

He was flipping everybody off around here too.

A little perspective. Lord knows I need it.

Left tackle - 5th or 6th year senior? Not sure - never played a full season.
Left guard - rotating players all year trying to find a consistent player.
Center - new starter
QB - new starter entered program in spring
FB - new starter
RB - soph - 166 lbs.
WR1 - senior - hasn't played in over a year.
WR2 - new starter
WR3 - new starter
TE1, TE2 - seniors multi year starters
RG - senior multi year starter
RT - junior multi year starter

WE can only put 11 guys on the field at a time on offense, and only 3 of them, have any significant game experience prior to this season

You know what? Our offense has played exactly like what they are - a bunch of inexperienced players, playing together.

My only problem with Deleone, is that I don't know if the guy is capable of catering his play calling, to his players strengths, or if he's just doing tactics and gimmicks.

I want to see us play simple offensive football, to our strengths, and develop some consistency.

We'll lose two starters off the line next year, two receivers, and two TE's.

I'm quite confident that the coaching staff is aware of this, and is preparing the underclassmen for next year, as we work through this year as well.

We need a bowl game this year, anything less is failure.

I don't believe that a guy like Coach P, doesn't have his eye on the big picture.

Next year, we will play the best home schedule with the new big east, and our OOC schedule, that we've ever had.

We need to be ready for that, and we need to win now, at the same time. I'ts crunch time now though, we've got 6 games to go this year, and a tough conference.

All those new players on offense, don't have the new excuse anymore,

and Coach P?

after this week, you don't have the new excuse for players anymore either.

Carl, good analysis, but also scary, because if the O-line is bad this year, what will it be next year? It looks like the personnel situation is even worse next year after we lose Bennett and Masters. Young guys haven't shown much.

I think we have enough depth in the receiving department (5 WRs, 2 TEs) that an Oregon-style run the defense into the ground no-huddle based on quick short passes to limit the rush would have worked well. Not GDL's style though.

I agree about missing a bowl being a major failure. But they've already failed, since 4-2 in the first 6 would have been a lot easier than 3-3 in the last six.

Reaction Score
Carl, good analysis, but also scary, because if the O-line is bad this year, what will it be next year? It looks like the personnel situation is even worse next year after we lose Bennett and Masters. Young guys haven't shown much.

I think we have enough depth in the receiving department (5 WRs, 2 TEs) that an Oregon-style run the defense into the ground no-huddle based on quick short passes to limit the rush would have worked well. Not GDL's style though.

I agree about missing a bowl being a major failure. But they've already failed, since 4-2 in the first 6 would have been a lot easier than 3-3 in the last six.

WHat I wrote, is the last excuse I can accept for what's happening on the field.

No more excuses.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Carl is right. We are more experienced than I would like to admit on O. And I almost thought to cut the coaches some slack because of it... Then I thought, no. It's college football. There is always someone new, always turnover. The coach has to be a little flexible to adjust to what he has to work with. I don't want King Randy back, but no one can accuse him of not getting the most out of his players. This staff... I'm not seeing that.

Reaction Score
Not that I'm a GDL fan, but it sounds like most BYers commenting here don't like his stagnant, unimaginative, and somewhat predicatable play calling. This got me wondering about something I don't recall having read about in-depth.

What type of play caller would you like to see directing our offense? And more specifically, how would that fit/match the talents of the players we have available including the O line, TEs, RBs, WRs, and QB.

Reaction Score
Not that I'm a GDL fan, but it sounds like most BYers commenting here don't like his stagnant, unimaginative, and somewhat predicatable play calling. This got me wondering about something I don't recall having read about in-depth.

What type of play caller would you like to see directing our offense? And more specifically, how would that fit/match the talents of the players we have available including the O line, TEs, RBs, WRs, and QB.

One who is effective. Run, pass, mix, west coast, no huddle, don't give a crap. I want an offense that leads to us winning games.

Reaction Score
One who is effective. Run, pass, mix, west coast, no huddle, don't give a crap. I want an offense that leads to us winning games.

Can I get an amen. No more, run, run, run and punt. West Coast, huh? I like it.

Reaction Score
When I first came here about three years ago when trying to find a place to discuss UConn football, I found a place that where people loved UCONN FOOTBALL, not necessarily the coach or the players or the AD, but the UCONN FOOTBALL PROGRAM and had knowledgeable discussions about it and would support the program NO MATTER WHAT

Then two years ago our coach who most probably thought would take the program to the promised land left in the middle of the night and personally I think this board has eroded ever since. Now people seem (keyword) ignorant and down right stupid in some of the comments and discussions that have happened particularly over the past 6 games......say that again to yourself......SIX GAMES!!!...like are you freaking kidding me

All I'm saying is, this is HCPP's 18th game and has been with the program for less than 2 years, AT LEAST wait until the end of next year before you start calling for his head.....I mean if I was a recruit and saw this board I would be turned off instantly, there is a line between passionate and crazy

First off, you are relatively new to this board. I may disagree by 180 degrees with the opinions of some on this board (and I taken my share of flames too), but . . . never once did I confuse this with anyone no longer supporting the program. Fans on this board care deeply about UConn football.

Secondly, I was against the PP hiring the moment he was announced as under consideration. Wish I could have stopped it. I don't enjoy echoing that he needs to go, but I was not consulted by Jeff Hathaway to tell he that PP was a quick fix, lazy hire. I didn't get the chance to say that PP was past prime, too conservative and just not the right fit.

Had it been up to me, UConn would not have wasted 18 games to reach the point it is currently at (see above paragraph). I'm just not will to waste another 18 games to do something about it.

Oh and if I was a recruit, I'd be very interested in a program that is anxious to become a "player". In fact, if I was a top rated QB (or WR), I couldn't wait to get to Storrs. I'd want on the field immediately, I'd wanna be the guy that everyone who followed would be compared to, I'd wanna break all the records and I'd wanna contribute to getting the Huskies into a better conference and I'd wanna be the player that led them to consecutive BCS Bowls. Yeah if I were that top notch QB, I'd run, not walk to make sure that I was position to take the first snap in game one next season. Got to be easier than almost anywhere else.

Reaction Score
I was a fan of the PP hire. Thought he had local and regional connections that would help recruiting, was going to be here for a while not be looking to move on after a good year, had a track record of success in conference and the pro experience was going to be a plus. He has been at a disadvantage up till now in that we aren't putting a QB or RB on the field that is equal to or superior to our opponets and so we struggle. Up till now we compete hard all game and haven't gotten really smoked the way many lesser teams in the power conferences get smoked on a weekly basis. You can make the case that the top level of the BE isn't as good as the power conferences but we were ready to take the lead on WVU in the 3rd Q on the road last year when we blew an opportunity. We couldn't catch the ball against L-ville so we lost, Pitt seemed to be our worst effort. This year though the constant glaring inability to manage the clock which is all on the HC not the players, the offense which is just plain dysfunctional which goes back to what is our bread and butter?, and now we have Deleone running not just the offense but the O-line when his track record has never been a smashing success which means that PP is defering to Deleone. We are going to have to win 4 games the rest of the way for me to think it's worth continueing with PP.
As far as type of play caller, I want a younger guy who is on the sideline working right there with his offense not insulated in the booth like a bureaucrat. Someone who installs an offense where the players don't look uncomfortable running it, aren't making mental mistakes all the time , where we make the game look simple, and we can score enough to beat good college teams which-wait for it- score alot. We are 6 games in and a 5th year TE isn't on the same page with the QB who has been here since January. Simplify and focus. Scoring chances have been lost ala the 1st Q pass against Rutgers. It's like having McCummings throw 4 passes a year and all of them should be touchdowns but he's not used to throwing in the game so things don't work because it gets rushed. Simplify and focus.

Reaction Score
The fact that you guys think that a highly paid coach of a Division 1 football team who has more years of football experience than most of our alive will cater to the opinions of 27 people on a message board who think they represent the entirety of the fan base is laughable.

Apparently your right. And you could insert the number 270, or 2,700 or 27,000.

Reaction Score
I also think that it is the ultimate red herring to insinuate that if you don't support the head coach, you don't support the program.

UConn football starts with the university and ends with the players that represent it. The former evolves while the latter changes, allowing us to fully and with very few conditions support them. Everyone in the middle- from the President of the university to the AD, to the head coach to the video coordinator- those guys are paid to do a job. If they fail to do their job, then they have failed the university and should be replaced.

pj

Reaction Score
I was a fan of the PP hire. Thought he had local and regional connections that would help recruiting, was going to be here for a while not be looking to move on after a good year, had a track record of success in conference and the pro experience was going to be a plus. He has been at a disadvantage up till now in that we aren't putting a QB or RB on the field that is equal to or superior to our opponets and so we struggle. Up till now we compete hard all game and haven't gotten really smoked the way many lesser teams in the power conferences get smoked on a weekly basis. You can make the case that the top level of the BE isn't as good as the power conferences but we were ready to take the lead on WVU in the 3rd Q on the road last year when we blew an opportunity. We couldn't catch the ball against L-ville so we lost, Pitt seemed to be our worst effort. This year though the constant glaring inability to manage the clock which is all on the HC not the players, the offense which is just plain dysfunctional which goes back to what is our bread and butter?, and now we have Deleone running not just the offense but the O-line when his track record has never been a smashing success which means that PP is defering to Deleone. We are going to have to win 4 games the rest of the way for me to think it's worth continueing with PP.
As far as type of play caller, I want a younger guy who is on the sideline working right there with his offense not insulated in the booth like a bureaucrat. Someone who installs an offense where the players don't look uncomfortable running it, aren't making mental mistakes all the time , where we make the game look simple, and we can score enough to beat good college teams which-wait for it- score alot. We are 6 games in and a 5th year TE isn't on the same page with the QB who has been here since January. Simplify and focus. Scoring chances have been lost ala the 1st Q pass against Rutgers. It's like having McCummings throw 4 passes a year and all of them should be touchdowns but he's not used to throwing in the game so things don't work because it gets rushed. Simplify and focus.

Great post jdb50!

Reaction Score
Well clearly PP and GD know that if we run the football 20 times in a row on first down that the other team will expect a run up the middle. But, they also know that the other team knows this and that they are up against master tacticians, so in fact they won't expect a run, thus we have to run on first down. The only complication to this brilliant scheme is unknown unknowns, for which Deleone has, of course, literally millions of contingencies that all lead to the conclusion of running up the middle: (nsfw language)

Reaction Score
I do. Somebody should have beat his ass the moment he suggested to let Deleone be the primary decision maker on offense, but I think it was a good hire for many reasons, and the understanding he has of recruiting for our region is absolutely #1.

There's still a lot of season left, and we clearly are in a Big East season where, the conference is quite strong, and we're not near the top of the strongest, at the half way mark, on the season, but we're not necessarily on bottom either, the games still have to be played.

Syracuse was 5-1, 2011, with I think some pretty nice wins along the way, and finished 5-7. We were 3-4 in 2010, and finished 8-4.

A lot can happen, it goes one week at a time. I will reserve my judgment for whether or not we are progressing or regressing, for when the season is over. As of right now, the offense has nothing at all to show for progress at all from year 1 to year 2. The defense and kicking games have.

All that said - Holy what the hell was he thinking saying that. what are we going to do on first down? I hope our players know - many times they don't seem to.

It's important to be able to step back and reserve judgement over a full season. There's plenty of people around here capable of dissecting what's going on that feel the same way as you do. Unfortunately for the AD and the coach most people don't have the knowledge or the patience to be that pragmatic. And outside circumstances including what people want to spend their money on and what recruits are seeing on the field affect the calculus in real time.

There's also the entertainment factor. Whether you win or lose are you being entertained? It's fair to say that isn't currently the case and I'm looking for a reason to believe that might change. I would love to hear someone make the case as to what signs they see that will change the conclusions much from the one's being observed now. Maybe that case can only be effectively made on the field because the coaches certainly haven't made it from their statements.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
P - "Go a head, just try to figure out the mystery that is UConn on first down. My boy George wallpapers his house with plays so devious that we're not even sure they're legal. You have have no chance here, but go a head and try to guess what we're going to do here!"

Me - "You're going to run up the middle with McCombs."

P - "Holy duck*. How did you figure that out?"

P (squeezing is head at the temples) "Get out of my head, GET OUT OF MY HEAD!"

Reaction Score
I think you totally missed my point my friend.

I never miss your point. It's OK though, you won't get disbarred for touting the forward pass. It's perfectly legal - exciting, utilized by many teams nation wide, and downright effective in leveling the playing field. Don't beat yourself up over this infatuation with this "new fangled" aspect of a college football offense. Miss your point . . . come on,man, seriously?

Reaction Score
I think it would be great if someone with some video editing skills, could put a montage together of the first down failures with some audio from Coach P's last presser.

A picture is worth a thousand words, but a video is a thesis.

Reaction Score
Actually, they can. The first play will be McCombs between the left tackle and left guard (5) or left tackle and left side TE (7). There is no where else Deleone is going to go.

Isn't one of the symptoms of mental illness? -- Continuously using the same failed method, in numerous attempts to accomplish the same goal, while remaining absolutely sure that the method in use will produce a favorable result. (Also called, "pissing into the wind," or "beating one's head against a wall.")

Reaction Score
The first play will be play action.

The rest of the first downs will be runs. He's tricky like that.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The rest of the first downs will be runs. He's tricky like that.

I'm actually worried that a couple of 1st down runs that get stuffed could bring out the boobirds early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom