I am going to say something some will think is nuts | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I am going to say something some will think is nuts

Reaction Score
It's not that nuts.

Turner can actually execute the RPO. And Roberson is noticeably slow now. Which is kind of sad.

This game he seem to run east/west or backwards too many times.

Reaction Score
Ok but the next guy who argues zion turner can run is being turned into jam and sold on roadsides across america

Edit: I still don't want too see zt out there myself
Turner can run better than Roberson. Roberson is a terrible runner.

But the real problem is our offensive tackles. They get beat on the first move way too often.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Roberson has a clean pocket and he runs out of it into trouble. He has a lot of college experience and he does freshman things.

I don't know if it's a coaching issue or him...but it's annoying.

Reaction Score
Why is that nuts? Turner’s average throwing game was better than Roberson’s was yesterday. And the offense as a whole played with more confidence with him behind center
Great point business lawyer… There is something about Zion that goes under the category of “intangibles.” He approaches the game knowing he has some limitations but he doesn‘t let that stop him from doing everything possible to try and win a game.

People say he can’t throw and I’m not going to debate this point but rather we had a lot of drop balls last year and he was under lots of pressure. I would love for Mora to give him a half against Duke.

Reaction Score
I too, had that same thought. Don’t hold on 4th and game on the line - there’s one.
And where was the stepping up in crunch time?

For me when we overlooked the fumble - that’s one that needs to be picked up for god sakes. That was the time to claim the game! To put it into the W column.

Reaction Score
Why is that nuts? Turner’s average throwing game was better than Roberson’s was yesterday. And the offense as a whole played with more confidence with him behind center
BusinessLawyer is totally correct here. Turner came out of high school as a star quarterback and may even have improved since last year's decent effort.

Reaction Score
I think there are 6 possible wins.
There are six possible wins this season but Mora has got to take immediate action to get there. If the defense can keep most of our opponents to 28 or less, the offense has to score in the 30s. So far, we can't do that with mediocre teams and we have several good to excellent teams on the schedule. Getting a new OC, Zion in as QB are some options for Mora.

Reaction Score
I think Turner should be the quarterback as he is more of a thrower than Robertson.
I would even give McDonald a shot. The Qbs in the spring show case were all under high duress and he showed the best. Tape looks like he can throw and can run when he has to. Last year reminded me of Diaco's six win season in that things broke right for them get to that many wins. Walker really needs to move back to H-Back and six OL sets.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
For the purpose of full disclosure, due to a few no shows we ended up with enough extra tickets that my buddies and I went to the lot at halftime for a couple of beers, initially planning on going back in for the second half. I decided to break out the grill (around the time the second half began) so we started our post-game tailgate early, discussed going back in but when it became a game decided we could jinx it as the results were far better with us in the parking lot than in the stadium.

In the first half, all of Roberson's passes, even those where he had time, sailed high. Some extremely high. He had no pocket presence and no command of the offense. I said to my buddies a few times (while we were in the stadium) that it was time to put turner in as QB. I don't know what changed for the second half but other than the first drive against NC St and perhaps a couple moments late in that game, we haven't seen QB play as good as ZT in a few games last November. I know he is far from perfect but he may be our best QB at the moment.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
ZT is no better than Roberson. He has no arm. I can't believe some of you watch the same games I do.
I usually don’t bother with these threads where most people have lost their minds. i don’t think you are necessarily wrong, but i’m not so sure you are necessarily right. Roberson doesn’t have the look of a QB who can make things happen when plays aren’t perfect. Turner did get us to 6 Ws last year and does have a year of experience. We don’t know if that means squat if he doesn’t play. In fairness to Roberson (and the team overall) they played a way better second half. And he threw a tough pass with a great catch that potentially tied the game negated by a proper holding call that if it doesn’t happen the pass rusher is probably too late to get Roberson. And then Ross failed to run a route deep enough for a first down. The pass was there.

I agree with most of the criticism of Chsrlton. The team doesn’t have a lot of playmakers and overall speed, but we do have a few playmakers. Joly as the centerpiece of a passing game wouldn’t hurt and using him as a principal target might open it up for the other receivers. Nothing wrong with a TE oriented passing game with a guy with some WR skills. And both Houston and Rosa are playmakers.

The remaining schedule looks tough. Aside from the teams that figured to be better than us, a few of the others like Rice don’t seen awful. It’s still only football but obviously disappointing.

Reaction Score
Roberson has a clean pocket and he runs out of it into trouble. He has a lot of college experience and he does freshman things.

I don't know if it's a coaching issue or him...but it's annoying.
He actually doesn't have a lot of college experience - by that I mean game experience. He only played 30 snaps or so with Penn State and a handful last year before getting hurt.

Reaction Score
I think Turner should be the quarterback as he is more of a thrower than Robertson.
Not nuts at all. I agree with you 100%. Despite being thrown into the fire last year, he became a decent QB by the end of the season.

Reaction Score

It's not impossible that Turner got better over the off season. So you may be right. However I have trouble believing that he could have hit Houston on the screen pass with a rusher in his face. ZT's throwing game was very bad.

Reaction Score
I would even give McDonald a shot. The Qbs in the spring show case were all under high duress and he showed the best. Tape looks like he can throw and can run when he has to. Last year reminded me of Diaco's six win season in that things broke right for them get to that many wins. Walker really needs to move back to H-Back and six OL sets.
you bring up a good point I was really impressed by his performance. When you start 0-3 no one has earned the starting position. This is the time to give QBs a shot and not lock in on someone for the whole season. I like TR and I know he's trying his hardest, but I like your suggestion here.

Reaction Score
This game he seem to run east/west or backwards too many times.
we're just not blocking well enough to try to go east to west. And that's not all on the quarterback / Rb's our receivers and guys an on of line need to step it up either way. yesterday one of our receivers was standing there watching our running back get tackled after a short gain and I was like dude you're supposed to throw block there! Not get some popcorn and watch it

Reaction Score
Wouldn't mind seeing Zion get some playing time soon if Roberson continues to struggle this much. He threw a couple decent balls yesterday but that was it. Haven't seen any indication from him yet that he can be a competent FBS QB. (Frankly, I don't think we've had a decent QB on the roster since David Pindell graduated.)

What was really disheartening was seeing FIU's frosh QB (who was only playing his 3rd collegiate game) throw a 50-yd dime for a TD before the half. And we can't even run passing plays to receivers outside of bubble screens that gain 2 yds at best. It's just maddening to have no passing game at all year after year when every competent FBS or FCS school can do it with ease.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom