I am a visitor from the Maryland board and have a question | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I am a visitor from the Maryland board and have a question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Norries Wilson ran a terrific offense for Edsall. i don't know when you started following UConn, TDH, but if you were following us in the Norries Wilson days with DanO you'd have loved what you saw. we had an incredibly dynamic passing offense. in 2004 he was a finalist a for the Broyles award for top asst coach of the year.

Was that due to Norries or Orlovsky? When Dan left for the NFL, Uconn's offense shifted to the run and never looked back. Edsall's ultra conservative nature will impact any OC on his staff.

Reaction Score
Norries Wilson ran a terrific offense for Edsall. i don't know when you started following UConn, TDH, but if you were following us in the Norries Wilson days with DanO you'd have loved what you saw. we had an incredibly dynamic passing offense. in 2004 he was a finalist a for the Broyles award for top asst coach of the year.

You're correct. That era '01-'04 with Dan O was an exception. But Randy didn't know offense as we saw '05-'10

Reaction Score
You're correct. That era '01-'04 with Dan O was an exception. But Randy didn't know offense as we saw '05-'10

Do you honestly believe what you type?

The fair criticism of Edsall is that he failed to recruit the QB position well outside of Orlovsky. It's amazing what can be done with a good QB. Also, our offense towards the end of 09 was as good as any offense I have seen here. We had Easley. In what is probably your favorite UConn game ever (a 47-45 loss to Cincy), I remember thinking that if we stopped Pead on 4th down we were winning that game. Our offense was lights out that night. You must've wet yourself over that loss. I honestly can't believe that some people are more concerned with style points than actually winning games. I'll give you credit, you've been consistent.

The common denominator here is when are offense was good we had players (Orlovsky & Easley). If you want to criticize Randy's recruiting, I'll stand with you. I've said this for a long time, it's not about the X's and O's.....it's about the Jimmy's and Joe's.

Reaction Score

The fair criticism of Edsall is that he failed to recruit the QB position well outside of Orlovsky. It's amazing what can be done with a good QB. Also, our offense towards the end of 09 was as good as any offense I have seen here. We had Easley. In what is probably your favorite UConn game ever (a 47-45 loss to Cincy), I remember thinking that if we stopped Pead on 4th down we were winning that game. Our offense was lights out that night. You must've wet yourself over that loss. I honestly can't believe that some people are more concerned with style points than actually winning games. I'll give you credit, you've been consistent.

The common denominator here is when are offense was good we had players (Orlovsky & Easley). If you want to criticize Randy's recruiting, I'll stand with you. I've said this for a long time, it's not about the X's and O's.....it's about the Jimmy's and Joe's.

While I'm not about to call Cundiff and D Brown great qb's, after they left Uconn, they did have some success with their new teams, had they stayed at Uconn, they might have panned out. You can talk about recruits all you want, but I always point to Boise St's recuits beating Oklahom in the BCS game, that wasn't Jimmy's and Joe's, that was X's and O's.

Reaction Score

. I've said this for a long time, it's not about the X's and O's.....it's about the Jimmy's and Joe's.

i think you mean Jimmy Jones has been saying this for a long time, and it's a pretty worn out cliche. right up there with "you are what your record says you are."

we've had some decent talent at QB. not great since DanO, but it's not like every team that managed 250 passing yards a game does. Dennis Brown, Billy Cundiff, TL and others could have been passing for 250 yards plus a game if in the right situation. i haven't looked up the numbers but i wouldn't be surprised if we averaged 150 yards passing per game over the last 4-5 years. it's hard to say who's fault it is, but considering Danny O Brien's year at UMD i'm inclined to lean towards giving Edsall some blame.

Reaction Score
Orlovsky & Easley, I'll buy. And, yes the Cincy game in '09 was exciting, but come on Randy knew very little about offensive football as it's played in today's college game - nor how to recruit for it. More often than not the prevailing philosophy today is that you win by outscoring your opponent, rather than the "old school" concept of shutting down the opposition. More 39-38 or 52-46 games than 16-10 or 24-14 games these days. More emphasis on scoring and entertainment ("Who wants low ERAs when 'Chicks dig the long ball'?").

Besides all that, how long did it take Randy to remember Easley was on the roster . . . 4 and a quarter years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom