I am a visitor from the Maryland board and have a question | The Boneyard

I am a visitor from the Maryland board and have a question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think we all know that Coach Edsall is a strong disciplinarian when it come to players but my question is about coordinators and assistant coaches. How did Coach Edsall handle under-performing coaches while he was at UConn?

Reaction Score
They stayed on for a long while. Can't remember him ever cutting anyone loose. Then again, UConn never had major issues. Special teams was a problem, and that coached stayed for awhile at that despite it.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
He hardly ever released anyone. He may have gotten rid of our ineffective OL coach in 2005-2006 but that's about it.

Reaction Score
condolences Terp fans
forget about assistant coaches, your AD should be canned!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
I think we all know that Coach Edsall is a strong disciplinarian when it come to players but my question is about coordinators and assistant coaches. How did Coach Edsall handle under-performing coaches while he was at UConn?

Like others have said here. He never really got rid of anybody. You did see some reduction in responsibilities and reshuffling with some coaches.

Special Teams was a crippling issue for a very long time.
It seemed like every time we punted or attempted a Field Goal, the punt or kick seemed at risk of getting blocked. I think it was in 2008 that some kid from UNC blocked like three different punts or kicks in one game. I tried my best to wipe that from my memory.

Of course according to Edsall, it had nothing to do with scheme. It was the players' fault.

I understand your pain at the moment. But I don't have any sympathy.

Reaction Score
What you should be asking about is his uncanny knack in destroying the competence of QBs.

Reaction Score
Randy also muzzles his assistants. Its nice to hear from our coordinators now.

BTW, the special teams coach back then was Lyndon Johnson. He was brought to MD by Edsall. Good luck this week. I will be pulling for you guys. It will be the only time all year.

Reaction Score
He hardly ever released anyone. He may have gotten rid of our ineffective OL coach in 2005-2006 but that's about it.

No, that OC left to become head coach at a D2 school that was his Alma mater. He wasn't fired.

Reaction Score
Edsall runs things his own way. He's usually pretty loyal to his assistants, doesn't say much to the media (the Bellichik school of PR), relies on his own player rankings, not the national recruiting services. Not surprised you're having some growing pains. Personally I think he'll do fine in a couple of years, but he's not a quick fix guy.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure that its true that he never replaced ineffective coaches, but I think he generally did it in less obviouls ways. And by the time he left, UCONN had a pretty well respected group of assistants all of whom had been there for a while. But he didn't publicly announce he was firing guys and he didn't publicly humiliate them when things weren't working. Over time he eased some out but usually not after 1 season. You never saw, nor will you ever see Edsall firing his Offensive Coordinator mid-season, for example, but don't be surprized to read where Edsall has decided to "become more involved in the offensive game planning" or something similar, and likewise don't be shocked to see a coach annoucning in the off season that he is leaving to become OC in the Sunbelt or head coach at some D1AA program. Guys who weren't getting it done left, but they left without a lot of public embarassment.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure that its true that he never replaced ineffective coaches, but I think he generally did it in less obviouls ways. And by the time he left, UCONN had a pretty well respected group of assistants all of whom had been there for a while. But he didn't publicly announce he was firing guys and he didn't publicly humiliate them when things weren't working. Over time he eased some out but usually not after 1 season. You never saw, nor will you ever see Edsall firing his Offensive Coordinator mid-season, for example, but don't be surprized to read where Edsall has decided to "become more involved in the offensive game planning" or something similar, and likewise don't be shocked to see a coach annoucning in the off season that he is leaving to become OC in the Sunbelt or head coach at some D1AA program. Guys who weren't getting it done left, but they left without a lot of public embarassment.

This. coaches were forced out the door, but Edsall never viewed it as important to curry favor with fans by pushing them out in a public manner. In fact, I was a huge supporter of him here, but it is absolutely fair to say that Edsall doesn't believe it is important to curry favor with the fans period.

He will work his butt off to try to make you win. That is the only satisfaction you will ever get.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score

As a UConn and LSU fan, I can give you some help. Edsall is loyal to a fault almost. I doubt you'll see too much change prompted by him. Also, you better run Gary Crowton off as soon as possible, or he will set your program back years. He is not a QB coach (fundamentals), and your QBs will continue to regress under him. Also, he is such a "Wizard" at playcalling, he often outsmarts himself and his team and runs an offense that has no identity because he is trying to outdo the last gimmick play he ran with an even zanier one. God speed my friend.

Reaction Score
If you are coaching on offense under Randy, it will pretty much dead end you. Especially if you are looking to run a modern day contemporary offense. IMO, no one with aspirations of going anywhere as an offensive coordinator would ever want to work under RE.

Reaction Score
If you are coaching on offense under Randy, it will pretty much dead end you. Especially if you are looking to run a modern day contemporary offense. IMO, no one with aspirations of going anywhere as an offensive coordinator would ever want to work under RE.

Norries Wilson ran a terrific offense for Edsall. i don't know when you started following UConn, TDH, but if you were following us in the Norries Wilson days with DanO you'd have loved what you saw. we had an incredibly dynamic passing offense. in 2004 he was a finalist a for the Broyles award for top asst coach of the year.

Reaction Score
Paco - Just curious why you're asking? Got something or someone in mind? Hearing rumblings from the fans or alum?

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
No, that OC left to become head coach at a D2 school that was his Alma mater. He wasn't fired.

I was talking about our OL coach before Foley, not Ambrose. Ambrose is actually doing well at Towson, which surprises me.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
lol what is the SUN BEAST Conf???????

Reaction Score
I was talking about our OL coach before Foley, not Ambrose. Ambrose is actually doing well at Towson, which surprises me.

This leads me to believe that Edsall handcuffed Ambrose and the offense.

Reaction Score
This. coaches were forced out the door, but Edsall never viewed it as important to curry favor with fans by pushing them out in a public manner. In fact, I was a huge supporter of him here, but it is absolutely fair to say that Edsall doesn't believe it is important to curry favor with the fans period.

He will work his butt off to try to make you win. That is the only satisfaction you will ever get.

Edsal had no head coaching experience when got Uconn job, was a journeyman back up QB at Syracuse which seems to be part of his evaluation of QB's where managing the game (his view of his strength as college QB) more important than actually being able to throw the ball. If you have ever worked with or for someone who never gives out more info about what he is doing than necessary, keeps suborninates mussled (only one who deals up in the organization) in an attempt to hide all his incompentencies (real or imagined) then you see how Edsall operates.

Lot of Edsall lovers here re "he only wanted to win, got 2 league championships, etc.", bottom line is team was something like 1 and 23 against top 25 teams, never finished in the top 25 at year end, played in a very small AQ conference which had several of the other 7 teams with very down years and still was about 500 in league. He is at best an average Div 1 head coach, values assistants that will put up with his "Couglin" style of management.

I was very pleased with his finding his dream job at Maryland. Saying he didn't curry favor is misstating the events during his 11 years.
Edsall went out of his way to be secretive, fan unfriendly to a point of outdoing his mentor, he had more of a attitude to those "trying to be part of the Uconn football experience" than probably any other coach you are likely to have at Maryland in the future or us here at Uconn after our current coach's tenure ends.

Reaction Score
Good coach, knows how to win with what he has and will do it his way - the right way.

That said he put himself in a spot where the clock was ticking right out the gate. Maryland fans are like all college fans - they want to win right awaya and win all the time. Given time, Edsall will make Maryland a winner, but I have serious doubts whether he will get the time.

Reaction Score
lol what is the SUN BEAST Conf???????

i have to admit that logo almost made me choke on what i was drinking. i'm assuming it's for our inevitable merging with the Sun Belt. the little fiery football guy would sell a lot of merchandise. not to over analyze but i find that sun beast logo hilarious on a few levels.

Reaction Score
I've been tyring so hard not to write something, but i have to. Best way I can describe Edsall in leadership terms is that the guy always reminded me of a career lieutenant who thinks he's way further up the chain, but struggling to get that captain promotion and always passed over. Many good results, many bad ones in his position. Many things done right, many not, questions of who's actually responsible for what, and lots of people above and below wondering if the guy really knows what he's doing.

To be fair, I really liked Edsall. The guy showed an incredible ability to adapt and overcome obstacles, and really came from nowhere as a head coach. But he stopped growing, in my opinion, at UConn in recent years. I don't know if the pages exist anymore online, but I wrote right here about a little less than a year ago that I looked very much forward to seeing Edsall take the program forward, because winning the title and getting to the BCS game is one of those steps along the way, where that lieutenant is either clearly going to start advancing, or is going to stay right where they are until their career's over, and Edsall never struck me as a guy that would stay put when he's got a challenge in front of him. But he took that accomplishment he reached at UConn and went in a completely different direction.

And again, in true form to the career lieutenant, there's lots of reasons for the plateau Edsall hit at UConn, and what's happening in Maryland right now, but nobody's really sure who did what and who's responsible for what. Difficulty recruiting. Academic standards. Maybe poor relationships with superiors. maybe poor relationships with some key players or coaches (inferiors). Etc. Etc.

I think Edsall can still get there, but he'll have to do things differently than he did at UConn, and up til now, I haven't seen anything different watching from afar. I've also remarked the same here recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom