I admire this team | Page 3 | The Boneyard

I admire this team

Reaction Score
@mauconnfan I don't quite understand how you can play the role of Resident Brimah Basher for four years (a stance in which I joined you in more than a few times) and it's fine for you to dish out criticism when it's due, but now you're throwing a tantrum when other fans are being critical of a team and coach thank absolutely dreadful all season long.

It's pretty hypocritical and we're supposedly fair weather fans because of it? Please (Bill Walton voice).

Not really actually not at all. And there is no tantrum, just stating it as I see it. Not at all impressed by those who pile on this year. It's not like I'm happy with any of this, why would I be. But it wasn't in the books from about the 3rd-4th game what can you do? And Brimah vs KO - not even close comparison wise to me.

If you feel like you're a fair weathered fan then so be it. I don't believe I have ever mentioned you as one, disagree with some of your stuff on KO no doubt but understand. I like most of your stuff so quite honestly I don't put you in the "fans" I speak of, why would I consider you a huskymagic, yukon, Athlete94 type you actually know the game? Wasn't ever pointing at you but if you feel I was then oh well.

If they play like this next year I will be joining I promise, no reason to start this year is all I have to offer, no reason. The constant bashing for a guy who has poured his heart into it for how many years as a player coach? Way too much for me, to me the man can coach and will prove it again, hope everyone hangs out for that?

Reaction Score
I assume you could see Jalen barely walking then. Shouldn't have even played. Finally hobbled to the bench with over 8 minutes to go. Could you see Amida gasping for air or Christian grabbing a water bottle during free throws. They were frustrated they weren't making shots I'll grant you that.

I said they were banged up. They pulled him out of the game with 8 minutes left because there was no point in playing a good player in a game where they were getting blown off the floor.

And if Brimah is gasping for air, jesus. He's playing 2 min. per game less than he did his sophomore year for . Stop.

The checked out. They were spent. They're college kids - i'm not going to crap on them for it. They had their reasons, but this team tapped out today. For whatever reason.

Reaction Score
Must be that! LOL because you know how everyone that wants to keep KO here for now feels right? Hilarious what people say and think, funny as hell. And you probably believe it too.:eek:[/]

Yeah, it's all good. Keep on smokin it.

You can read the litany of excuses laid out in hundreds of threads. You can even follow the same arguments made with Pasqualoni and Diaco. Same story lines. No money, bad conference, can't recruit, bad luck, injuries, couple of missed opportunities, next year, one more year, we can't get anybody better, etc..

Whats laughable is the utter lack of awareness and refusal to accept reality. We stink and KO is the chief of the cesspool he created. He has brought UConn to a thirty year low and is marching the program towards a cliff as you pat him on the back with a "good job not your fault." BS. It's his fault and he owns it because the big fat pay checks say so.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Yup we had terrible years. But not 2 out of 3 with a mediocre year sprinkled in between.
Do you know that the women's team has not lost two games in a row since 1991. You have to go back over 880 games ago to observe two losses in a row.

Geno has won as many NC's as games he's lost in the tournament - eleven.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Who specifically quit? I was there and I didn't see that.
the poster quit before the game started (made a point in another thread) so naturally he observed the team quit. if it's in the head it's out there as well.

Reaction Score
Wow what an embarrassing Yard this turned out to be, pitiful group of newbies.
I would submit what you saw today in Storrs ought to be the source of embarrassment, not those pointing out the obvious.

Reaction Score
the poster quit before the game started (made a point in another thread) so naturally he observed the team quit. if it's in the head it's out there as well.

Did you watch the game? You can honestly say the team didn't quit? Because I'm not the only one here saying it.

Reaction Score
I would submit what you saw today in Storrs ought to be the source of embarrassment, not those pointing out the obvious.

He's an apologist. There's no reasoning with those types.

Reaction Score
Do you know that the women's team has not lost two games in a row since 1991. You have to go back over 880 games ago to observe two losses in a row.

Geno has won as many NC's as games he's lost in the tournament - eleven.

Ya so? What's ur point here?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Did you watch the game? You can honestly say the team didn't quit? Because I'm not the only one here saying it.
Watched the game. And lots are disagreeing with you and those who agree with you. SO who is right?
There are lots of people who believe the earth is round and a lot who believe the earth is flat. There are many who believe Elvis is dead and many who don't. Do you always rely on a group to validate yourself? Stand up like a man and go head to head with mau. Don't rely on others to come to your aid.

Reaction Score

It's only embarrassing to see people pile on a no-win situation. You want embarrassing, ask KO and staff how they feel. Ask the players who go out undermanned but still feel they can win, wonder how they feel. I really don't give a rats a** how you feel or anyone else for that matter. I feel frustrated as we've become a program that expects to play in March and April, I do. But when everything fell apart early i already took the pressure off the team and staff to a point. I certainly like wins but look at the team, if you expected to win 20 with this team then I guess you just didn't know the make up of the team left to put on the court. There's reality somewhere in anyone who really appreciates who KO is and as I've stated a million time to throw the pile on his this year to me is ridiculous. But hey pile away!

Reaction Score
Your reality is far from real. There have been at least two teams with a losing record since 1960. If I remember correctly on of them was 5-19 (1968-69?). John Wooden couldn't with a team with only one ball handler, especially since that one ball handler has been hobbled since late December.

OK great - one losing season since Callhoun took over (his 1st year - also a 30 year gap between losing seasons). Doesn't change the fact that this team is *objectively* awful. We just keep going in circles with you guys.

244th in DI in FG%
322nd in FG
156th in 3P%
332nd in points scored.
300th in ppg.

I mean is that not awful? The bottom fifth in the country in offensive numbers across the board. And sure I get it - injuries were a factor - but it's not a get out of jail free card. Sorry. Not when you're losing to Wagner, Northeastern and barely escaping a Division II team fully loaded. And then losing to teams like East Carolina. Meanwhile the same issues, game after game, year after year, I mean it's watching the same, exact movie on repeat for three years. I LIKE KO. I want him to do well. But he's not getting the job done right now when he *has* to get the job done. Circumstances contribute to that urgency fairly/unfairly, but he signed his extension knowing that..

Reaction Score
Watched the game. And lots are disagreeing with you and those who agree with you. SO who is right?
There are lots of people who believe the earth is round and a lot who believe the earth is flat. There are many who believe Elvis is dead and many who don't. Do you always rely on a group to validate yourself. Stand up like a man and go head to head with mau. Don't rely on others to come to your aid.

I called him out several times today on various different threads. Anyone who disagrees with that guy is some sort of a hole, dope, moron, jerkoff... But as we keep getting embarrassed game in and game out it becomes harder and harder for him to defend this crap. He just said if it's the same results next year he's in the Ollie must go camp to. I'll leave it at that. This season was lost long ago. I'm done wasting energy on it. Maybe things will turn around going forward but I'm skeptical. Hopefully if we don't win the AAC tournament we shut the season down and not accept a bid to the CBI where our seniors will be even less motivated than they were today on senior day.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Not really actually not at all. And there is no tantrum, just stating it as I see it. Not at all impressed by those who pile on this year. It's not like I'm happy with any of this, why would I be. But it wasn't in the books from about the 3rd-4th game what can you do? And Brimah vs KO - not even close comparison wise to me.

If you feel like you're a fair weathered fan then so be it. I don't believe I have ever mentioned you as one, disagree with some of your stuff on KO no doubt but understand. I like most of your stuff so quite honestly I don't put you in the "fans" I speak of, why would I consider you a huskymagic, yukon, Athlete94 type you actually know the game? Wasn't ever pointing at you but if you feel I was then oh well.

If they play like this next year I will be joining I promise, no reason to start this year is all I have to offer, no reason. The constant bashing for a guy who has poured his heart into it for how many years as a player coach? Way too much for me, to me the man can coach and will prove it again, hope everyone hangs out for that?

Fair post Mau. Guess I misinterpreted comments that werent intended for me. My bad.

It's not so much this season for me with KO due to injuries but rather the Boat senior season and last year with a loaded roster and disapointing.

Guess we have no choice but to sit back and wait til next season.

Reaction Score
Fair post Mau. Guess I misinterpreted comments that werent intended for me. My bad.

It's not so much this season for me with KO due to injuries but rather the Boat senior season and last year with a loaded roster and disapointing.

Guess we have no choice but to sit back and wait til next season.

Frustrating year CHB.. hell I may have replied to one of your posts in error while thinking about putting the hammer down on someone else so if I did my apologies. I get some of what you say and respect it, hell agree with some I'm not "all in" on everything he does at all. As I have said, just can't with the hand that he was dealt to me unfair.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I called him out several times today on various different threads. Anyone who disagrees with that guy is some sort of a hole, dope, moron, jerkoff... But as we keep getting embarrassed game in and game out it becomes harder and harder for him to defend this crap. He just said if it's the same results next year he's in the Ollie must go camp to. I'll leave it at that. This season was lost long ago. I'm done wasting energy on it. Maybe things will turn around going forward but I'm skeptical. Hopefully if we don't win the AAC tournament we shut the season down and not accept a bid to the CBI where our seniors will be even less motivated than they were today on senior day.
I'm so happy your not wasting any more energy. Be as skeptical as you want- skeptic away Mr glass half empty.
And glad you are into all 3 of the seniors heads and you can read a motivation level, if not, that is not an equitable statement to make on those guys. Motivation and physical ability/talent do not go hand in hand
Seeing you are done - adios and don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Last year, I learned how to make good use of the Ignore feature on this board. A number of games bothered me and made me feel like I was wasting my time to watch live so diligently.

This year, I learned how to ignore the games better. Because the team was likely to be less competitive, I scheduled better quality leisure time. I may have even spent more time on The Boneyard than watching games.

There's still more people for me to Ignore. And I'd like to see better basketball next year. Who wouldn't?

I really liked the Rolling Stones' "Exhibitionism" in NYC today. Highly recommended if you're a fan. It closes next Sunday (hint, hint).

Yale has its inaugural Schwarzman Center jazz program with Anat Cohen Quartet, Maria Schneider Orchestra, and Wynton Marsalis on Friday & Saturday this coming week.

We'll be hosting grandkids for brunch on Sunday.

And yes, the AAC Tournament could be worthwhile & merit a trip to Hartford.

Be thankful for options. I sure am.

Reaction Score
It's unfortunate that the favorite sports time of the year....Husky basketball, was marred by injuries, but gotta think boys who became men sooner than expected will pay off.
With Brimah and Facey leaving....it will be the first time since 2007 that we will not have a national champion on the roster, which will be a span of 10 years. Not sure any team can boast that in recent memory.
Can the guys pull it off next season to keep the streak alive......

H

huskymagic

Honestly this is the last thread we need during this horror-show of a season. How can anyone admire what we are seeing from the coaching and player front. What we and by we I mean Ollie is to be so ashamed that he makes sure this never happens again at UCONN so we can laugh nostalgically about this season not lament the beginning of the end.

Reaction Score
I'm so happy your not wasting any more energy. Be as skeptical as you want- skeptic away Mr glass half empty.
And glad you are into all 3 of the seniors heads and you can read a motivation level, if not, that is not an equitable statement to make on those guys. Motivation and physical ability/talent do not go hand in hand
Seeing you are done - adios and don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out

And you keep on being an apologista with ur crew mauconnfan & uconndan69. Blaming everyone and everything but the obvious. Ya let's bring this team to the CBI tournament where they most likely will lose in the 1st game. The team they'll play will certainly be better than ECU. Cool! That will surely help the program out!

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I'd be surprised if you've finished "wasting your energy".

I've seen you throw in adjectives in your posts that are intended to insult. Maybe you didn't apply it as frequently as @mauconnfan but certainly more frequently than many other people who post in this forum. And to be fair to both of you regarding this behavior I haven't been completely above reproach.

From my perspective (I acknowledge I have limited info) I actually think the two of you are cut from the same cloth. Both of you are highly driven, intelligent, successful, passionate individuals who work in the business world. And you both share a passion for the UConn men's bb team.

In a different world if this were a successful season and the two of you came across one another for the first time in a bar the two of you probably would have gotten along really well, offering to buy each other drinks while reminiscing about your experiences with regards to the program.

But your first encounter was over a really bad season. When bad things happen people tend to react in a much more diversified and charged manner than when things are going well. The two of you crossed swords over how to factor in the parameters about this season and as a result you went to war over how people should react and how we should demonstrate this reaction regarding this season.

From my perspective the disagreement over the issue (the season) exposed some underlying flaws. Both of you took things personally. You about the season, mau about your take on the season. And then a vicious cycle kicked in because both of you share a second flaw and that is both of you are driven. The drive and determination that makes the two of you successful in business works against both of you when you bump heads with other people. Now you both are probably the rule and not the exception in this forum. So I figured even if you can't get something from the effort I took in writing this post maybe one of the other people reading it might gain some benefit.

Reaction Score
There are parts of this team that I admire and parts that have been extremely frustrating.

First, I hope the team stays healthy next year and we can see a healthy Jalen Adams the entire year. He's been pretty amazing with what's been going on.
I also admire the Jackson and Vital for having to learn on the fly. They at times have been frustrating, but we have to remember they're freshmen who
have been thrown into the fire at a program like UConn. I love seeing it finally click with a guy like Facey. I'm encourage by the potential of Enoch and Durham,
but Enoch needs to make the leap forward next year. Then there is Purvis who is on both lists for me. I admire his heart, both the emotional aspect and how
physically tough he is as well.

I know next year I'll miss him, but I can't wait to see Brimah go. He has been the most frustrating player to watch for me. His results are inexcusable for a
man that physically talented. He has size. He can run. He can jump. But for some reason he has not really improved much since his freshmen year. He never
learned to block with his left hand, and even more basic, he always is underneath the basket or backboard on a rebound. Also, I don't know if it's fatigue or lack
of instinct, I've seen him watching balls, some even hitting the floor. Also, as many physical gifts as he has, catching the ball is not one of them. Okafor, Armstrong
and Thabeet blocked shots, but they learned they don't have to try and block everything to be the most effective.

At times, the entire team on defense. They make the same mistake over and over that let's people get open. Know where your man is, especially if he's a
shooter camped out on the three point line.

Rodney Purvis-He is a quality player but he like all the guards loses his man way to often on the defensive end. Also, he's good at shooting 3's and shoots out onto
the fast break like a bullet, but never really developed the rest of his game. He is awful from medium range and way to often relies on refs to blow the whistle when
he drives to the hoop. There have been some games when you realize fairly early the refs are just not going to call it, but he continues to do it anyways. Which leads
to:

Making adjustments. This team (I don't know if it's coaching; I don't think so) is slow to make the adjustment. The don't make some players drive off hand when
you can tell quickly it's not their best thing. The 3 point coverage again.

Still, to me they are still not as frustrating as the last year Dyson and Robinson were in the program and it looked like everyone was playing for themselves.

And finally, I still have hope with Adams, Jackson, Vital, Larrier, Gilbert, and Enoch next year. Diarra and a few of the freshmen will need to step up quickly though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom