I’ve defended Hurley thus far | Page 7 | The Boneyard

I’ve defended Hurley thus far

Reaction Score
Agreed. Hawkins I’d give a pass as he’s a freshmen. Next year will be telling. Jackson has improved drastically and is fun to watch. Akok no clue if he’s injured or Hurley just doesn’t want to play him. Gaffney is where I think us and Hurley expected him to be the replacement for Cole which hasn’t turned out to be so
Seems like DH picks out a guy and effectively reduces their rotation time to the point where the player is almost forced to make a decision. Look at his first UConn recruit - Brendan Adams. Look at what he did to josh Carleton. Same with Akok this year. I think Carleton is doing just fine this year with advanced coaching. Hopefully Akok finds a program and a coach that can maximize his talents

Reaction Score
My real worry about Hurley is not that he is a bad coach, but that he is neither really good nor really bad. For the next 5-10 years he is never really good enough to get us back to being a serious national player, but not bad enough that we can justify firing him. A resume something like: 21 wins, 3rd in the NOOB, ranked 20-25 6-8 seed, 0-1 wins in the tourney, as the typical year. Sort of the guy at Seton Hall. Bad years aren’t awful. Good ones aren’t great. Then in 2030, we are Indiana, a program that used to be important.
This isn’t a terrible resume for any coach. You rebuild. Right, get the team back to the dance and even if it’s one and done you are a far more successful coach than most other coaches. Now when this happens to Uconn down the road they will have a choice. Stick w what you know or go after a bigger name and more successful coach looking for a change who might get the program back to E8/FF status. It isn’t easy. Most schools and fanbases Don’t ever come close to the success ours did with Jim Calhoun. These coaches on high dollar contracts are ripe for criticism where/when deserved. They use and abuse these kids so they can obtain and hold long term employment. I got no problem with anyone on this board criticizing this coach so long as it makes sense.

Reaction Score
Nice straw man you knocked over. I doubt your summary is close to what anyone believes.
The lynch mob is starting to assemble.....seriously, this is the same business that started to escalate before....I would think DH deserves better "at this point in the season".
We are getting some outrageous critical foul calls, bad defensive aggressive decisions, and all the mortar we're throwing up of course.
He said he was gonna start mixing up the lineup before the game and he did what he could.
I'm more upset at teams continuing to rough us up with hard fouls the past three games which looks to be a subtle way of hook line and sinker.

Reaction Score
Why do people think we'll miss the tournament because we lost on the road AT freaking Villanova.

Os it because we lost 2 games in a row?

Here's a list of teams in the Big East that have not lost 2 games in a row this season:
Providence.

End of list.

Here's a list of teams that have had 5-game winning streaks in conference play this season:
Providence
Villanova
UConn

Does that make you feel better?
Not when 4 of our 5 wins were Butler twice, Gtown and DePaul. I dare say several other squads in our league would have 5 game win streaks too if they had that sequence of games.

Reaction Score
Not to speak for the group, but I think myself and others aren’t overreacting to the current record or standing in the conference to this point, but rather the observation that the things causing the losses won’t be fixed and we could see a lot more losing. Calhoun was a master of building guys up in February so they could contribute in March, but DH seems reticent to making meaningful changes that can lead to that. How many times do we need to see Gaffney dribble off his leg or Andre throw up awful 15 foot floaters? It’s not bad shooting, it’s turnovers, blown defensive rotations, Martin missing overly flashy layups and other mistakes that just repeat game after game. This team can be better than it’s shown, and the coaches need to get them up to their potential.

Reaction Score
I think if you are being honest here you have the same concerns that I do regarding ever having a deep tourney run under Hurley. Yes, he is passionate and comes from a great basketball family. However, we seem to squeeze out less than we should with the talent on the roster. For example, we should have never had to go to OT against a very mediocre St. John's team on campus. Gaffney and Akok have contributed next to nothing this season and Diggins, Johnson, and Springs have played so little that it's inconsequential.

Fortunately, the talent upgrade continues next season. Talent often makes coaches look good.
Could not agree more with your post. These kids are just not getting to the point where you have seen a steady progression of development from the beginning of the season to now with the exception of Adama. Why is that? Trying to refrain from any negativity but?

Reaction Score
The lynch mob is starting to assemble.....seriously, this is the same business that started to escalate before....I would think DH deserves better "at this point in the season".
We are getting some outrageous critical foul calls, bad defensive aggressive decisions, and all the mortar we're throwing up of course.
He said he was gonna start mixing up the lineup before the game and he did what he could.
I'm more upset at teams continuing to rough us up with hard fouls the past three games which looks to be a subtle way of hook line and sinker.
Seriously you can't put this on the referees/bad call ect..., There seems to be a pattern that we are playing good enough to be close with some of the better teams but just don't have the SHOOTING to get it done. Please don't put the play calling on the refs as an issue, yes are there bad calls? Ofcourse but no different than us getting away with calls.

Reaction Score
I don’t get the obsession with putting the guy on the hot seat now or in the future. He’s our coach why even think about next years performance when we still have so much left of this season.
You missed my point. I know there is much left of this season but im addressing the OPs assertion.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Not to speak for the group, but I think myself and others aren’t overreacting to the current record or standing in the conference to this point, but rather the observation that the things causing the losses won’t be fixed and we could see a lot more losing. Calhoun was a master of building guys up in February so they could contribute in March, but DH seems reticent to making meaningful changes that can lead to that. How many times do we need to see Gaffney dribble off his leg or Andre throw up awful 15 foot floaters? It’s not bad shooting, it’s turnovers, blown defensive rotations, Martin missing overly flashy layups and other mistakes that just repeat game after game. This team can be better than it’s shown, and the coaches need to get them up to their potential.
One of the most important things a coach can do to develop players is to let each player know what constitutes a good shot for that player. It wont be the same for every player, and there may be players for whom any shot is a good shot. But we see too many off balance shots on drives, forced 3’s, and weird runners this late in the season, particularly from the wrong guys..

Reaction Score
I don't even think it is as complicated as your making it: DH went after Uconn fans after a bad loss and then bitched about playing on a "home" court. He whines incessantly on the sidelines.

None of this instills confidence. He doesn't inspire steadiness. He shrills to tightness. I see this getting much worse as the pressure mounts with Ls over these next 3 games.

Reaction Score
One of the most important things a coach can do to develop players is to let each player know what constitutes a good shot for that player. It wont be the same for every player, and there may be players for whom any shot is a good shot. But we see too many off balance shots on drives, forced 3’s, and weird runners this late in the season, particularly from the wrong guys..
Absolutely my point. For example, “Andre, don’t shoot that 15 foot floater off one foot again” or “RJ I notice you don’t have great success when taking the ball into the trees and throwing up crap from your hip”. And then the Martin turnovers when he passes the ball in mid air. These are coachable and fixable things but continúe to persist.

Reaction Score
True but people need to be used correctly too. Jackson is an immense physical talent who I fear isn’t ever going to have a profound impact offensively if he isn’t set up for success. Him camped out behind the line completely negates his talent. With Sanogo drawing double and triple teams, Andre should be able to excel cutting to the hole. Also, posting him up would be good. I’d like to see some smaller lineups of Cole, Hawkins, Martin and Jackson at the 4. I don’t think he’ll ever be a good shooter, continuing to let teams sag off him and magnify his weakness seems pretty foolish.
I agree. I always felt putting him at the 4 should be an option.

Reaction Score
He wasn't ready to lose Bouk. But he should have known as last season was playing out and got someone, transfer, who can get a bucket on their own. He didn't. Thought Gaff was better then he is and recruited a small pt. Hawk was considered a shooter with weak handle for college game coming out. Looks more like 3 and done then a 1 and done.
He wasn’t ready to lose Bouknight because Bouknight wasn’t ready to leave. Unfortunately, the inexperienced handlers won out and Danny had little alternative but to try to make the best of a bad situation, which wasn’t in James long term interest or the team’s. It is what it is. This off season we will likely have transfers out using the portal and hopefully Danny will change his philosophy and be more receptive about transfers in.
While you can win with depth at URI or Wagner. At UConn’s level you need to have stars and then the role players to complement them. As Chief said in another post, depth means greatest hasn’t separated anyone from the pack.

Reaction Score
I'm not really strongly leaning one way or the other on the whole should he stay or should he go, but let's not forget who gave #1 ranked Auburn their only loss...

I think a lot of people here also need to be realistic about what the alternatives were if Hurley didn't take this job, or if he were to leave/be told to leave. Obviously most here think this is a top 10 job, but thats not a prevalent opinion outside this board...we may be a top 10 all time program, but there's not a line to be successor like their was before JC queued up Ollie.

There are few, if any, coaches out there right now who could come in and turn this program around immediately (shaka isn't helping this argument...but outlier aside..) and it's really not killing the program. We all lose patience because we show some signs of improvement then crap the bed and walk it all back. In the end though, there's been clear improvement every single year Hurley has been here, just not immediate AAC afterthought to NC like too many here seem to expect/feel entitled to?

Clear improvement every year huh? It’s clear that they’re better than last years 15-9 squad? They’re still losing most of the close ones, many of last years players have improved over the year but they are headed for double figure losses again. I do realize Bouk is gone but the team itself should be better.

To me the biggest issue is there isn’t any improvement at all thus far this year minus a game or 2. The pattern needs to change.

Reaction Score
Threads like this are embarrassing to the fan base.

We are not firing our head coach. He’s brought us out of the cellar of darkness so much faster than we could’ve anticipated. He’d be the best available Head coach available if we did.

There’s problems, he needs to solve them. This team is seriously flawed, but also tournament bound. I’m guessing he’s learned that hurt feelings need to be part of the job if he wants to improve the roster. The S16 and E8 expectations start next year, there won’t be any excuses with a roster full of his experienced guys.
I don't know about next year. UConn brings in a lot of high quality talent, but it's young and unproven.

Adjusting to life after Cole, Tyreese, Whaley, and Polly will leave a vacuum. Could players like Hawkins, Diggins, Johnson, Floyd, and Karaban fill in? Maybe. But that's asking a lot when only Hawkins got significant experience this year.

Reaction Score
I don't know about next year. UConn brings in a lot of high quality talent, but it's young and unproven.

Adjusting to life after Cole, Tyreese, Whaley, and Polly will leave a vacuum. Could players like Hawkins, Diggins, Johnson, Floyd, and Karaban fill in? Maybe. But that's asking a lot when only Hawkins got significant experience this year.
We’ll have Gaffney.

Reaction Score
I think without Sanogo’s physical dominance and RJ’s superhero efforts, our record would be much less potable.

I feel like this is a person who was found to have some terminal disease before they started showing symptoms. We can point to the record now and say all is well; but there are very concerning signs of a short coaching tenure.

I’ve been wondering since early this season if DH is just the energy guy who can only surprise people by taking a team with low expectations and, through his will imparted into lesser players, are able to overachieve; and I wonder if, now, at this level of competition and expectations, he isn’t the guy. Fortunately he keeps talent coming in, but he’s got to show that he is improving as an in-game coach. It’ll be too many years soon.

Reaction Score
I'm not even going to bother reading through 7 pages of this nonsense, based on recruiting alone he should have until 2023-2024 (Sanogo senior year -- I assume he'll be a 4-year player b/c he won't sniff the NBA sadly due to how they play). Next year we should be a Sweet 16 team. And then that 23/24 team we'll actually know what type of program he can run because we should be a Top 10 program given the nature of the recruits. These things take time. We're consistently ranked now even despite not winning big games. I don't think this current team is very good (and certainly not better than last year) but the Auburn win in theory should get us into the Tournament which is all that matters, granted if we don't suffer any bad losses and at least hold form at home, even at XL. I don't see us winning a game in March at the current rate, but things can change.

You all forget oh so quickly where the program was when he took this job.

Final Rankings:
2018: 179th (last Ollie year)
2019: 98
2020: 52 (and on fire, could have easily cracked into the 30s with no COVID)
2021: 21
2022: 18

I'm not a math guy but taking something from a big number to a little number in under 4 years is pretty damn good. Look at the teams around us then and now:

1644263593238.png
1644263627062.png

If the team absolutely nose-dives and misses the tournament this year or next, then by all means you can have the conversation. Until that happens, people in here need to quiet down about Hurley's job. Should be criticized? Absolutely. Are things going well? No. Should his job be in jeopardy? How can you say that? Would I classify it as a disaster? Absolutely not. Disaster would be Feb 7, 2018 when we moved to 13-13 with a 68-65 win over KenPom 279 USF. Look at where we are 4 years later. The sky is not falling people. Frustration is justified but calling for his job is not.

Reaction Score
"If our best players weren't on the team, we wouldn't be as good"

Yeah, we know.
I’m just saying they can cover up coaching warts and we are talking about coaching competency

Reaction Score
I'm not even going to bother reading through 7 pages of this nonsense, based on recruiting alone he should have until 2023-2024 (Sanogo senior year -- I assume he'll be a 4-year player b/c he won't sniff the NBA sadly due to how they play). Next year we should be a Sweet 16 team. And then that 23/24 team we'll actually know what type of program he can run because we should be a Top 10 program given the nature of the recruits. These things take time. We're consistently ranked now even despite not winning big games. I don't think this current team is very good (and certainly not better than last year) but the Auburn win in theory should get us into the Tournament which is all that matters, granted if we don't suffer any bad losses and at least hold form at home, even at XL. I don't see us winning a game in March at the current rate, but things can change.

You all forget oh so quickly where the program was when he took this job.

Final Rankings:
2018: 179th (last Ollie year)
2019: 98
2020: 52 (and on fire, could have easily cracked into the 30s with no COVID)
2021: 21
2022: 18

I'm not a math guy but taking something from a big number to a little number in under 4 years is pretty damn good. Look at the teams around us then and now:

View attachment 73066 View attachment 73067

If the team absolutely nose-dives and misses the tournament this year or next, then by all means you can have the conversation. Until that happens, people in here need to quiet down about Hurley's job. Should be criticized? Absolutely. Are things going well? No. Should his job be in jeopardy? How can you say that? Would I classify it as a disaster? Absolutely not. Disaster would be Feb 7, 2018 when we moved to 13-13 with a 68-65 win over KenPom 279 USF. Look at where we are 4 years later. The sky is not falling people. Frustration is justified but calling for his job is not.
Even Rewind a year ago, same squad essentially loses by 11 to Providence (KP 80), record is 8-5 (5-5) this team is better than last years team. We're in a better position year over year.

Reaction Score
He wasn’t ready to lose Bouknight because Bouknight wasn’t ready to leave. Unfortunately, the inexperienced handlers won out and Danny had little alternative but to try to make the best of a bad situation, which wasn’t in James long term interest or the team’s. It is what it is. This off season we will likely have transfers out using the portal and hopefully Danny will change his philosophy and be more receptive about transfers in.
While you can win with depth at URI or Wagner. At UConn’s level you need to have stars and then the role players to complement them. As Chief said in another post, depth means greatest hasn’t separated anyone from the pack.
I think we can move past blaming Bouknight for this year's team. Hurley isn't an idiot. He had to know he had Bouk for, at most, one more year. He had plenty of time to find talent, both freshmen and in the portal, to replace him. He didn't. Danny had to "make the best of a bad situation", but he put himself in that situation - Bouk didn't.

Only the absolute lunatics are calling for Hurley to be fired. It gets a little old to hear people attacking only those few loons and calling anyone who expresses concern about DH long term chicken littles. Yes, the program is stronger than it was under Ollie. That can be true and Hurley can still not be the long term answer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom