I’ve been a fan for 32 years. I think this is my favorite team ever. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I’ve been a fan for 32 years. I think this is my favorite team ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The context around this team and the pain the fanbase has been through makes it that much more enjoyable. Years where between coaching struggles and conference realignment mess, it seemed unclear whether we’d ever really make it back and here we are.

Also Andre will undoubtedly go down as one of my favorite players of all time.

Reaction Score
I don’t think that the fan base ever looked collectively at our teams in 2011 and 2014 and talked National title in November. We weren’t supposed to beat Duke, and Georgia Tech had smoked is early in that year. 2011 we went on an incredible run through an impossibly tough BE. 14‘ was my favorite until now because of Bazz who I will always revere. Do I have to have the ring for it to be my favorite team? Sadly, yeah because that is a big part of how I remember them. This team with AJAX out there could be that for me.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
The context around this team and the pain the fanbase has been through makes it that much more enjoyable. Years where between coaching struggles and conference realignment mess, it seemed unclear whether we’d ever really make it back and here we are.

Also Andre will undoubtedly go down as one of my favorite players of all time.
As evidenced by the football euphoria for a 6-6 season (in which I absolutely share)..

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I’ve been a fan since I was born, first game I remember sitting in the back row with my grandpa for the first civic center game of 2000. Watched every game with my mom, who’s a bigger UConn fan than anyone I know. Still think my favorite team of all time is the 08-09 team, freshman Kemba, Stix coming off the suspension and working in a scrap yard, My all time favorite big in Adrien (what he did at 6’5” soaking wet was incredible) and slicin dyson. They should have won it all that year but the experience led to Kemba being Kemba in 2011.
This years team is a close second to that for me, but 08-09 will always be my #1

Haha came to post almost the same thing. Shame the 08/09 team will likely first be remembered by many as losing the 6ot game but that doesn't take away a pretty dominant regular season and final 4 run.

Reaction Score
I’ve been a fan since I was born, first game I remember sitting in the back row with my grandpa for the first civic center game of 2000. Watched every game with my mom, who’s a bigger UConn fan than anyone I know. Still think my favorite team of all time is the 08-09 team, freshman Kemba, Stix coming off the suspension and working in a scrap yard, My all time favorite big in Adrien (what he did at 6’5” soaking wet was incredible) and slicin dyson. They should have won it all that year but the experience led to Kemba being Kemba in 2011.
This years team is a close second to that for me, but 08-09 will always be my #1

That team would have won the whole thing but Dyson went down in that Cuse game and that was that. They made it to the final 4 but i think they beat Michigan state if they had Dyson and then who knows with that UNC team. Would have probably given them a better game than Nova did. I remember that Louisville game where UConn just absolutely shredded their pressure defense.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
That team would have won the whole thing but Dyson went down in that Cuse game and that was that. They made it to the final 4 but i think they beat Michigan state if they had Dyson and then who knows with that UNC team. Would have probably given them a better game than Nova did. I remember that Louisville game where UConn just absolutely shredded their pressure defense.

The Louisville game stands out in my mind as well. One of the best performances on the road vs a highly ranked opponent that I can remember.

Reaction Score
I still hold the 89-90 team as my favorite. They were electric, stifling D, and had numerous contributors/weapons. They could match up with all of UConn great teams.

This team is still in its infancy, so who knows. But its way too early for them to knock down my fav.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I know. Hyperbole? I don’t think so.

I was 8 for the dream season. I remember the entire state seemed to stop that March.

I loved the run and gun teams of the mid 90. Doron’s Hail Marys.

I hugged @okaforprez sr as Khalid and crew shocked the world.
I was in school for Mek, Ben and Shad. I love that team. I had the cops called on me by my downstairs neighbors when Shad broke Washington’s Heart (again).

But this team. I think it’s my favorite team ever.

It starts with AJ. He does everything I love most about the game of basketball well. He’s a cheat code. He’s the monstars version of doron in the open court. He has pass options other players simply don’t see or can’t make.

He plays Boatright level on ball defense. He smiles (and leads) like Kemba. He Yams like Rudy and Stix. He’s an amalgamation of all of my favorite players of the past.

Joey Coldcuts. He’s like a college basketball Rudy Rutiger. 5 foot nothin, 100 hundred and nothin. He shouldn’t belong on the court at this level. But we’re running plays for him with 2 on the shot clock so he can hit fade away threes falling into the bench? Stop it Coldcuts. But don’t stop it Coldcuts.

Hawk? Baby Ray? You can love him for his quick butter release, but give me his swag block off the glass for a shot clock violation on D.

Not enough for you? How about a 7’ 2” hometown true frosh who plays like a 5th year senior. Never brings the ball down below his head. Plays physical. Makes the outlet immediately. Drop steps. Mek was an offensive robot as a freshman. I am @OkaForPrez I can say that. This kid is once a generation.

Karaban is getting Nadav comps.

Nadav.
Comps.

That’s a bit generous but he’s at worst a Junior giff 8 games in.

We’re 7 players in guys. I haven’t mentioned our pre season All American.

The guy with the triple double.

The NYC guard who dogs you on D and loves buzzer beaters.

The scoop shot lefty.

And they all blend. Highest assist rate team we’ve had in how long. Ever?

They don’t turn it over.

They guard.

They hit FTs.

They Board.

Stop it. I’m calling it. It’s my favorite team ever and the sooner you figure out it’s yours the sooner you can truly enjoy it.
You should make this a poll question. Those are all great choices. The dream team was fantastic because it came out of nowhere, perhaps literally when you think about Henefeld. Obviously, the 2011 team with Kemba is on the list because that was an absolutely magical run. The 2014 team gets consideration to given that it especially given that it was coming off the NCAA ban with Shabazz is hungry Husky diatribe being the exclamation point. Obviously, all the national championship teams would have to be on the list, El Admin’s we shocked the world, Okafor dominance in the second half. There’s a lot good choices.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
1. 1998-'99 - Senior year, 1st year with season tickets. Watched the core in person grow from freshmen in '96-'97 to the Championship. No other team is particularly close.

2. - 6...Vacant out of respect

7. 2003-'04 - Everything seemed to come together for me personally that year, including started dating the woman who would eventually become my wife, UConn Dual Championship, and Red Sox World Series.

8. 1995-'96 - Freshman year. Just a fun team to watch.

9. 2010-11 - Kemba leading the run through Maui brought me back after thinking the game passed Jim Calhoun the year before (I can sometimes admit when I'm wrong.).

10. 2013-14 - Total surprise. Sweet 16 at MSG. Plus the run through 5 Hall-of-fame coaches. Dual Championship repeat and brought my 1 1/2 year old son to the parade.

Reaction Score
I came to UConn from abroad as a graduate student in 1998, and instantly became huskies fan. Of course we shocked the world in very next year.

So my no. 1 favorite is and always will be 1999 team.

My second favorite is 2011 kemba team, it’s full of magical and inspiring moments that I could relive many life times.

The 3rd is 2014 team -Bazz bookend champ team. It almost felt as if classic Cinderella story, that team caught on fire at the right time.

This years team is climbing up fast to be my next but not yet pose any threat to my top 3.

Reaction Score
Does anyone have the link for the Big east Tournament presale? All I am finding is links to stubhub and vividseats

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I still hold the 89-90 team as my favorite. They were electric, stifling D, and had numerous contributors/weapons. They could match up with all of UConn great teams.
You never forget your first time.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I don’t think there was a team in the country better able to guard Tyler Hansborough than ours. I wanted to see Adrien, Thabeet, and Stix punch his poop in so bad. (The swear detector on here is REALLY good)

Reaction Score
I came to UConn from abroad as a graduate student in 1998, and instantly became huskies fan. Of course we shocked the world in very next year.

My second favorite is 2011 kemba team, it’s full of magical and inspiring moments that I could relive many life times.

The 3rd is 2014 team -Bazz bookend champ team. It almost felt as if classic Cinderella story, that team caught on fire at the right time.

This years team is climbing up fast to be my next but not yet pose any threat to my top 3.
Post/handle (if you're from Germany)

Reaction Score
We are all here, and the banners hang as a result of 89-90

That season sucked me into being a lifelong Husky fan at the age of 17

I agree, 89-90 is still # 1, you never get over your first love. That season ended so abruptly in dramatic fashion that it is still frozen in time.

Reaction Score
Still have a soft spot for the Ray, Sheffer backcourt from 95-96.

Newton/Jackson/Hawkins are making it close though.
They may have gone all the way if Ricky Moore didn’t get injured

Reactions: caw

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I love this team a ton...but that Dream Team, yo. Fun fun fun!!!

Reaction Score
I don’t think that the fan base ever looked collectively at our teams in 2011 and 2014 and talked National title in November. We weren’t supposed to beat Duke, and Georgia Tech had smoked is early in that year. 2011 we went on an incredible run through an impossibly tough BE. 14‘ was my favorite until now because of Bazz who I will always revere. Do I have to have the ring for it to be my favorite team? Sadly, yeah because that is a big part of how I remember them. This team with AJAX out there could be that for me.
You seem to be mixing up years, neither the 2011 team or the 2014 team played Duke or Georgia Tech. The 2004 team that was smoked by Georgia Tech early in the season who beat Duke and Georgia Tech in the final 4 was supposed to be the best team in the country from the very start.

Reaction Score

The hungry Huskies

Reaction Score
I was a toddler in 1990 so set that one aside.

A team that should be getting more love in this thread is 2009. Businesslike, methodical, consistent. Beat eventually overall #1 seed Louisville by 20 on the road. Really the last vintage UConn team that were title contenders throughout the year. Maybe they didn't have the plucky, gritty factor or the unexpected surprise factor, but they got the job done.

Reaction Score
Definitely a fun deep to watch, but to be a favorite, they need a Whitehouse visit before I can call them my favorite.

The 04 team was a hot knife through butter team. This team has that type of feel to it, but still a long way to go. A lot of basketball left to play. I just want them to stay healthy.

There's also that terrible memory of that 06 team.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
i guess that the bazz/boat team is my second favorite, thus far.
grit, determination, and a bit of good fortune to shake up the world, an all that.
second cuz, you know, Cliff and that championship.
they say that u never forget ur first. true dat.

too bad ol jerome got broken. that guy was magic. big fun.
'in your face' ball. of course, winning ain't everything, it's the only thing, so his squads couldn't make the list. still fun, tho.

Reaction Score
I've been a fan since we had a 6"5' white center named Ron Hrubala. Bob Staak, Bob Boyd, listened to the games on the radio. I was like 10.

I love so many of the teams and their runs. All our championships were great. Caron Butler still my all time favorite player, a man's man

But with a gun to my head, the GOAT is the Dream Season. Because it was just that, a dream. I will forever be greatful for my avatar
I attended UConn then, and Hrubala played forward in 68-69, and in 69-70. Budzinsky was the center in 68-69 and Koski in 69-70.

In 68-69, the record was 5-19, and may have been the worst one in school history. Dee Rowe took over in 1969-70, and the record improved dramatically to 14-9, with pretty much the same roster.

Games were played in the Old Field House, which I think is now a renovated Geyer Gymnasium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom