I’ve been a fan for 32 years. I think this is my favorite team ever. | The Boneyard

I’ve been a fan for 32 years. I think this is my favorite team ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I know. Hyperbole? I don’t think so.

I was 8 for the dream season. I remember the entire state seemed to stop that March.

I loved the run and gun teams of the mid 90. Doron’s Hail Marys.

I hugged @okaforprez sr as Khalid and crew shocked the world.
I was in school for Mek, Ben and Shad. I love that team. I had the cops called on me by my downstairs neighbors when Shad broke Washington’s Heart (again).

But this team. I think it’s my favorite team ever.

It starts with AJ. He does everything I love most about the game of basketball well. He’s a cheat code. He’s the monstars version of doron in the open court. He has pass options other players simply don’t see or can’t make.

He plays Boatright level on ball defense. He smiles (and leads) like Kemba. He Yams like Rudy and Stix. He’s an amalgamation of all of my favorite players of the past.

Joey Coldcuts. He’s like a college basketball Rudy Rutiger. 5 foot nothin, 100 hundred and nothin. He shouldn’t belong on the court at this level. But we’re running plays for him with 2 on the shot clock so he can hit fade away threes falling into the bench? Stop it Coldcuts. But don’t stop it Coldcuts.

Hawk? Baby Ray? You can love him for his quick butter release, but give me his swag block off the glass for a shot clock violation on D.

Not enough for you? How about a 7’ 2” hometown true frosh who plays like a 5th year senior. Never brings the ball down below his head. Plays physical. Makes the outlet immediately. Drop steps. Mek was an offensive robot as a freshman. I am @OkaForPrez I can say that. This kid is once a generation.

Karaban is getting Nadav comps.

Nadav.
Comps.

That’s a bit generous but he’s at worst a Junior giff 8 games in.

We’re 7 players in guys. I haven’t mentioned our pre season All American.

The guy with the triple double.

The NYC guard who dogs you on D and loves buzzer beaters.

The scoop shot lefty.

And they all blend. Highest assist rate team we’ve had in how long. Ever?

They don’t turn it over.

They guard.

They hit FTs.

They Board.

Stop it. I’m calling it. It’s my favorite team ever and the sooner you figure out it’s yours the sooner you can truly enjoy it.

Reaction Score
I know. Hyperbole? I don’t think so.

I was 8 for the dream season. I remember the entire state seemed to stop that March.

I loved the run and gun teams of the mid 90. Doron’s Hail Marys.

I hugged @okaforprez sr as Khalid and crew shocked the world.
I was in school for Mek, Ben and Shad. I love that team. I had the cops called on me by my downstairs neighbors when Shad broke Washington’s Heart (again).

But this team. I think it’s my favorite team ever.

It starts with AJ. He does everything I love most about the game of basketball well. He’s a cheat code. He’s the monstars version of doron in the open court. He has pass options other players simply don’t see or can’t make.

He plays Boatright level on ball defense. He smiles (and leads) like Kemba. He Yams like Rudy and Stix. He’s an amalgamation of all of my favorite players of the past.

Joey Coldcuts. He’s like a college basketball Rudy Rutiger. 5 foot nothin, 100 hundred and nothin. He shouldn’t belong on the court at this level. But we’re running plays for him with 2 on the shot clock so he can hit fade away threes falling into the bench? Stop it Coldcuts. But don’t stop it Coldcuts.

Hawk? Baby Ray? You can love him for his quick butter release, but give me his swag block off the glass for a shot clock violation on D.

Not enough for you? How about a 7’ 2” hometown true frosh who plays like a 5th year senior. Never brings the ball down below his head. Plays physical. Makes the outlet immediately. Drop steps. Mek was an offensive robot as a freshman. I am @OkaForPrez I can say that. This kid is once a generation.

Karaban is getting Nadav comps.

Nadav.
Comps.

That’s a bit generous but he’s at worst a Junior giff 8 games in.

We’re 7 players in guys. I haven’t mentioned our pre season All American.

The guy with the triple double.

The NYC guard who dogs you on D and loves buzzer beaters.

The scoop shot lefty.

And they all blend. Highest assist rate team we’ve had in how long. Ever?

They don’t turn it over.

They guard.

They hit FTs.

They Board.

Stop it. I’m calling it. It’s my favorite team ever and the sooner you figure out it’s yours the sooner you can truly enjoy it.
You didnt have to go into such long winded detail just to say this is your favorite team. Cool. I love this team too but its not my favorite.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Honestly before tonight I would have told you to shut the front door. But there was a shot tonight that had me saying to myself, y'know...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
In most cases, I have no problem with recency bias. Definitely not here.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
My favorite teams:

5) 1994-1995 - I think this was Calhoun's first truly great team, and it would have won the title if Missouri had knocked off UCLA in the second round. Every title team needs a little luck, especially with that first one, and UConn didn't get it in 1995.

4) 2003-2004 - UConn's best team ever. Just a powerhouse in every way, whose only weakness was Okafor's back.

3) 2001-2002 - Caron put a not ready for prime time team on his shoulders and was some bad officiating and a Steve Blake 3 away from making the Final Four. Think about the fact that Selvie was the second scoring option.

2) 1998-1999 - First title.

1) 2013-2014 - Consecutive wins over Martelli, Wright, Hoiberg, Izzo, Donovan and Calipari. Truly amazing coaching by Ollie.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I've been been a fan for a shorter time than 99% of this board, but couldn't agree more. Favorite team by a mile
I knew you were 12.

Reaction Score
When it comes to the downvotes this guy doesn’t miss!
Actually i usually dont get many downvotes. But again i honestly dont give a sh@#! I was just ribbing the guy a bit. Forgot there were a lot of old people here. Ill scale back the friendly teasing for the sensitive crowd.

Reaction Score
Fun team here this year, potential to be one of my top 5 favorite UConn teams ever but something about that 98-99 team, they will always be my all-time favorite team of any sport.

Reaction Score
I was just ribbing him a little. A guess i shouldve made it more clear.
Yep- you should have. No reason to put down someone who is happy and enjoying a great start to a season- that’s one of the best things about this board. I was not unaware of being an ass when I was 29- don’t post drunk if you have a mean streak. Happy birthday.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I've been a fan since we had a 6"5' white center named Ron Hrubala. Bob Staak, Bob Boyd, listened to the games on the radio. I was like 10.

I love so many of the teams and their runs. All our championships were great. Caron Butler still my all time favorite player, a man's man

But with a gun to my head, the GOAT is the Dream Season. Because it was just that, a dream. I will forever be greatful for my avatar

Reaction Score
I've been a fan since we had a 6"5' white center named Ron Hrubala. Bob Staak, Bob Boyd, listened to the games on the radio. I was like 10.

I love so many of the teams and their runs. All our championships were great. Caron Butler still my all time favorite player, a man's man

But with a gun to my head, the GOAT is the Dream Season. Because it was just that, a dream. I will forever be greatful for my avatar

Same background willie and agree with the Dream Season. I actually enjoyed the ECAC champs in the 70’s as well with Abro, Whelton and company. The 94-95 team was a great run and the absolute most fun team I’ve ever seen on the court for the Huskies.

This team is good no doubt, fun I guess but there’s frustration for me too. A ways to go we will see but they certainly can make their own legacy it’s up to them.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
This is a perfect moment to point out how spoiled we are as a fanbase. There are so many choices to consider!

My favorite will always be the 1989-90 season. The magic of that season is impossible to convey to those who didn't experience it firsthand. It's not just that they came out of nowhere and won a bunch of games all of a sudden. The '90 Huskies had a team identity, a personality, that was as exciting in style as it was in substance. Some downplay the season because it ended before the Final Four. To me, the season unfolded like a Hollywood script (Rocky lost in the first chapter too!). The desire to see that Dream through was the fuel that eventually got us there. It was perfect.

And to think I could wax as eloquently about Rip and Khalid, Emeka and Ben, Cardiac Kemba, or the Hungry Huskies....

If this season is anything like any of those... Well, we are a spoiled fanbase!

Reaction Score
I’ve been a fan since I was born, first game I remember sitting in the back row with my grandpa for the first civic center game of 2000. Watched every game with my mom, who’s a bigger UConn fan than anyone I know. Still think my favorite team of all time is the 08-09 team, freshman Kemba, Stix coming off the suspension and working in a scrap yard, My all time favorite big in Adrien (what he did at 6’5” soaking wet was incredible) and slicin dyson. They should have won it all that year but the experience led to Kemba being Kemba in 2011.
This years team is a close second to that for me, but 08-09 will always be my #1

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Actually i usually dont get many downvotes. But again i honestly dont give a sh@#! I was just ribbing the guy a bit. Forgot there were a lot of old people here. Ill scale back the friendly teasing for the sensitive crowd.
Maybe sneak in a wink emoji or something. If you want any advice from an old guy. It's a very thin line between subtle and obtuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom