OT: - HuskyMedic, broken or sprained? Thanks in advance. | The Boneyard

OT: HuskyMedic, broken or sprained? Thanks in advance.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Untitled.jpg

Before you answer.....

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Playing hoops? Hope you weren’t on the wrong side of a killer crossover. Feel better, ice rest elevation - about all you can do.

I wish. I'm 49 and my hoop days are well behind me and were never very impressive.

I was moving a wood pile and rolled it on a rock. I went ass over tea kettle to the right and my head just missed an old cement bird bath I have.

Reaction Score
I wish. I'm 49 and my hoop days are well behind me and were never very impressive.

I was moving a wood pile and rolled it on a rock. I went ass over tea kettle to the right and my head just missed an old cement bird bath I have.
Yikes. Lucky you only hurt your ankle. At least you have a lot of time on your hands to recover.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Looks like my ankle from 2 weeks ago. I just went to a MedExpress. They'd already removed all magazines, kept people waiting (and there were only three of us) far apart, screened for temps, and wore masks.

I was figuring some hairline fractures had blown up. There was a distinct "pop" when it went and I couldn't put any weight on it. Could barely even drive over as pressing on the gas pedal was really painful.

Turns out just a bad sprain. They gave me an air cast and that helped immediately. Iced and elevated when I went home. I was injured on Friday and back to work on Monday. Wore the thing for a week.

However, the punchline is that apparently my continuing to work then put strain on my knee, injuring the lateral maniscus ligament, which went out the following week, and that's been a total bitch to deal with, worse than the MCL I had on other knee a few years ago. So the knee was an ER trip (my primary care doc said it was only option, so I called ahead to see if ER was busy and they weren't) and a week at home. Went back to work this week wearing an immobilizer brace and it's getting better, but it's not been fun.

Anyway, wasn't a big deal getting it checked out. But I'd check with wherever you're going for care before showing up.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Will it be all better in 20 minutes?
2 pro tips.
-get ur broken part under a tub faucet, or nozzle. alternate as hot as you can stand it, a minute or so, (notice ur skin getting redder) with full cold, also a minute or so (notice ur skin getting lighter). repeating this therapy 2 or 3 times a day for about 10/15 minutes each time will noticeably speed ur healing. garuntee.
-find a beach, preferably a salt one for added benefits. when you feel 'whole' enough to do it, walk, sans shoes and socks, on that edge where water meets sand where you get the benefit of cold water as you walk on the gently forgiving sand. obviously, the 'soupier' the sand/water mix, the more ur foot undulates and expands its range of motion. 'cold muscle therapy.'
unless you are a complete fool who is wholly disconnected from his/her body, and can't holistically know the difference between 'something really, really bad and broken' as opposed to a sprain/bone bruise/insignificant crack, these therapies are benign, and will, mos def, speed ur healing. other than that chemical overdose prescribed by another poster, you can 'loosen' up ur blood with one or so (standard dose) nsaids. it can make the color changes referred to happen faster. ya know how it goes. we heal by blood bringing rich o2, and then leaving with the bad stuff. red, redder, reddest? blood rushing towards the skin. heat response. light, lighter, lightest? the cold forcing the blood back to ur core. cold response. back and forth. who says blood can't exercise, too?
in Grease, john Travolta called it 'hiiii-dro-matic.' we call this stuff 'hiii-dro-therapy.' lol. be well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've already decided I'll cut the thing off before I hit up a Hospital.

Sorry I missed this earlier...

@superjohn has you on right track. I surely wouldn’t go to an ER tomorrow (tho’ you might get something else to keep your mind off your ankle pain).

If it was me and it looked significantly worse and you have a sense it’s worse than it appears - I’d hit one of the walk-in Ortho clinics (like Ortho-Now down my end of the State). In the mean time I-C-E (ice, compression and elevation).

Heal quick

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've already decided I'll cut the thing off before I hit up a Hospital.

Yes.. definitely amputate.. right below the NY!! Go Bosox!!! Most likely lateral ankle Sprain.. RICE.. Rest, Ice, Compression (ACE wrap) and Elevate. Ibuprofen 800mg three times a day with food.

Ankle fracture most likely would have blown-up and hurt so bad that you would have headed directly to the ER. Non-displaced fractures and bad sprains do well in fracture boots. Displaced fractures require reduction with casting or surgery. Radiographs required to assess fracture.

Reaction Score
Last couple times I've rolled my ankle violently they've been sprains, fwiw. The last time the Doc said I'd probably have healed quicker had I broke it i/o sprained it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The worst ankle sprains I ever got was in Guyer Gym when the roof leaked.

Reaction Score
My ankle looked like that after I rolled it. Really bad sprain, but not broken. I heard a pop and expected the worst but I was able to put weight on it after a week and was walking normally in three.

Reaction Score
rolled my ankle freshman year and ended in PT at the Health Center alongside Joey Whelton with a similar injury. I suspect the starting PG no longer rehabs at the Health Center.

Reaction Score
In college, I stepped on a foot while driving the lane. Ankle looked like that. Infirmary sent me for an x-ray, and I was told it was a sprain. It hurt bad, and I was on crutches for a week, and it seemed like it was forever before I could walk normally.

15 years later, I turned the ankle playing ball after work. The doc at the ER came out looking at an x-ray and scratching his head. Said there was a break line, but it looked healed. College medical group had let me walk around on a broken ankle.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
"Ass over tea kettle" from a 49-year old? Solid expression.

Yeah, with an NY tattoo I'd amputate.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
pretty scary how some 'informed' folks here (degreed or otherwise) so easily recommend grams (grams!) per day of powerful drugs for a sore foot. a dang sore foot. reminds me of a tale. a while back, when the state legislature was contemplating cannabis legalization, a senator bud asked me to testify at a hearing. knowing me pretty well, and my 'unfiltered' nature, she asked me a day or so ahead about my 'pitch.' I told her that I was going to use a prop, a standard prescription bottle, hold it up and shake it next to the mic, and ask the panel and audience, 'how many of youse have one of these in ur pocket, or on ur countertop at home?' and go from there. she felt that was too real, and said 'I get it, but it may be too much for the forum, so no talking for you at this time.' no prob, and no testifying for me. it's april, 2020, do you see any complete legalization here? neither do I. but grams of powerful chemicals (ring!ring! it's ur liver calling in a few years to say hi) for a dang sore foot. sad. i'll put aside my lawyer smack talk for today, and switch over to doctor smack talk. 8 out of ten doctors recommend Marlboros, if I remember that old tv commercial correctly. here, have some Celebrex.
(not to be dismissive of the ground breaking research on cox2 and its proper use in severe and acute therapy, but as with most of these things, don't be surprised if years later ur cox thing ain't workin' so good, if you've lived a life swallowing this stuff as if they were just jelly beans. turrible.)
(update on my current, and time tested therapy for last weeks tick bite, reported elsewhere here. a week plus since the event, im guessin another week or so until all surface traces, ie scarring, will be gone. as if it never happened. just like the last half dozen or so other tick bites.)

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom