Husky Practice | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Husky Practice

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Griffin has been practicing and lifting at full speed for 2 months, so don't be concerned. To those that doubt Patterson 's playing time, your in for a rude awakening.
Music to my ears. :D

Reaction Score
It’s surprising that we have to say this. But by the time we were in the tournament clawing our way back to the NC game, we had Paige and Nika was not a contributor at the end of close games. Why? Because having her on the floor in the final quarter meant we were playing 4 on 5 on offense.

Now that we don’t have Paige, we want to be able to rely more on Nika in those crucial moments. But this means she has to make the same transition MoJeff made in her junior year and become a half court scoring threat. I think she can do it.

This isn’t rocket surgery. We can pretend Nika doesn’t need to develop offensive skills and thereby consign her to a bit part in the important games. Or we can root for her to become a more complete player the team can depend on at the end of games. It’s not defending her to talk as though she’s not capable of developing.

Reaction Score
I doubt Patterson's playing time, particularly early. IMHO her development will follow a similar, but quicker, path as Aubrey. Athletically superior but weak fundamentally. If I am wrong, my awakening will be anything but rude. It will be extremely joyous.
Dunks is all we wanna see. Pages of comments say so.

Reaction Score
The issue with Nika is not that she score 'more'. But that she score situationally. She must score to punish the defense for sagging off of her. She must not allow them the privilege of doubling Azzi or Carolyn or playing a zone.
All she has to do is throw lobs to Patterson for the dunks!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
It’s surprising that we have to say this. But by the time we were in the tournament clawing our way back to the NC game, we had Paige and Nika was not a contributor at the end of close games. Why? Because having her on the floor in the final quarter meant we were playing 4 on 5 on offense.

Now that we don’t have Paige, we want to be able to rely more on Nika in those crucial moments. But this means she has to make the same transition MoJeff made in her junior year and become a half court scoring threat. I think she can do it.

This isn’t rocket surgery. We can pretend Nika doesn’t need to develop offensive skills and thereby consign her to a bit part in the important games. Or we can root for her to become a more complete player the team can depend on at the end of games. It’s not defending her to talk as though she’s not capable of developing.
What is rocket surgery? How many top 10 teams can you name that has five scorers on the floor at all times? UConn won two NC with Jefferson not being a scoring threat. Five scorers on the floor at all times are not always needed for a team to be a title contender, imo.

Reaction Score
What is rocket surgery? How many top 10 teams can you name that has five scorers on the floor at all times? UConn won two NC with Jefferson not being a scoring threat. Five scorers on the floor at all times are not always needed for a team to be a title contender, imo.
The phrase “It’s not rocket surgery” is an old joke. I’m surprised with all us oldsters here it would need explaining.

As for needing 5 scorers on the floor, this is clearly disingenuous. No one said we need 5 scorers on the scale of Azzi or Caroline on the floor at all times. But you better believe we need all 5 players on the floor in the closing minutes of a game at the end of March to be a credible threat to score. This is why Geno specifically didn’t use Nika in those situations except as an offense-defense platoon. Maybe you think that’s an optimal situation for us to win an NC. I don’t.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
The phrase “It’s not rocket surgery” is an old joke. I’m surprised with all us oldsters here it would need explaining.

As for needing 5 scorers on the floor, this is clearly disingenuous. No one said we need 5 scorers on the scale of Azzi or Caroline on the floor at all times. But you better believe we need all 5 players on the floor in the closing minutes of a game at the end of March to be a credible threat to score. This is why Geno specifically didn’t use Nika in those situations except as an offense-defense platoon. Maybe you think that’s an optimal situation for us to win an NC. I don’t.
Actually, didn’t want to knit pick.
It’s “not brain surgery” or it’s “not rocket science” are the choices

Reaction Score
As I have said on several occasions, Nika herself said after last season ended that she has had a change of perspective. She gets it that she has to be more of an offensive presence to prevent the defense playing off of her. That’s what she is focising on. I for one believe her and think she will be just that.

People seem to forget that in a presser freshnan year Paige credited Nika with facilitating alot of her offense with screens and anticipating her movement. Why people don’t think that will happen with Azzi at two and Nika at point is beyond me. Geno chose to put Nika at point and Paige at two their freshman season, most likely for that very reason, why many posters don’t seem to get that that is the right choice this season is also beyond me. I get it Nika has to make sure defenses stay on her, she does too! So how about we consider that reality and that she is the best option at point, facilitating a very potent offense that IMO has more diverse options than we hsve seen in a number of years and spearheading a defense that with the return of Aubrey and the incoming freshmen can be again more intense than recent years. Nika is an important piece of this years potential sucess, the kid’s a gamer and team first ( no offebse to the poster with the same handle, well maybe alittle). I’m looking forward to the posts from those that have essentially discounted her value to the teams success this season, when she demonstrates her significance within a really great squad!

Reaction Score
My thoughts exactly. Watch those " mixed metaphors"!!

Reaction Score
Stymie said:

Actually....
It's been in the Urban Dictionary since 2010 and there is a t-shirt industry built up around it. From the Urban Dictionary:.
"Rocket Surgery
  • A mixed metaphor describing a non-existent, yet implicitly high level of qualification. The greatness of this term is in its subtle ability to call someone stupid twice in one euphemism. The irony may go over someone's head and they would call out that this field of study doesn't exist.
A: Come on, it's not rocket surgery."

.... just sayin'

Reaction Score
I doubt Patterson's playing time, particularly early. IMHO her development will follow a similar, but quicker, path as Aubrey. Athletically superior but weak fundamentally. If I am wrong, my awakening will be anything but rude. It will be extremely joyous.

She no doubt needs work but her fundamentals are reported to be great. Here's a video. Ignore the dunking and listen to the coach describe how she has been trained. (about :20 into the video)

Reaction Score

Geno didn't use her because he had better options. Muhl is who she is and she is not a great scorer, she's a facilitator and a defender. That is as hard to quantify as the way the team responds to her energy when she is in the game. She likely won't ever be the MOP in a FF but she won't be the reason we lose either.

Reaction Score
Geno didn't use her because he had better options. Muhl is who she is and she is not a great scorer, she's a facilitator and a defender. That is as hard to quantify as the way the team responds to her energy when she is in the game. She likely won't ever be the MOP in a FF but she won't be the reason we lose either.
Yup. She won't be the reason we lose a FF (I shudder even to type that phrase) and she won't be the reason we win one either... because she won't be on the floor in the 4th quarter. Unless she develops better offensive skills. It hurts the team that she can't be on the floor at the end, and I hope she develops the skills we need so she can be. Her D is too important to have to sit her down at those moments, but the cost to our offense is too high as well.

She's said she wants to develop these skills -- finishing at the rim, a dribble stop jump shot -- and I bet Paige is helping her. I'm hoping she can do it.

Reaction Score
Stymie said:

Actually....
It's been in the Urban Dictionary since 2010 and there is a t-shirt industry built up around it. From the Urban Dictionary:.
"Rocket Surgery
  • A mixed metaphor describing a non-existent, yet implicitly high level of qualification. The greatness of this term is in its subtle ability to call someone stupid twice in one euphemism. The irony may go over someone's head and they would call out that this field of study doesn't exist.
A: Come on, it's not rocket surgery."

.... just sayin'
I'd emphasize the self-effacing quality of it. The person who makes this joke is poking fun at themselves -- their pretension to know something fancy is undermined by mixing the terms. That's what I had in mind.

Now thank you all very much for explaining (i.e. ruining) a joke.

Reaction Score
Alydar, my sentiments exactly regarding Muhl. I also stand on my prediction that Patterson will be in the top 5, by seasons end in minutes played .

Reaction Score
She no doubt needs work but her fundamentals are reported to be great. Here's a video. Ignore the dunking and listen to the coach describe how she has been trained. (about :20 into the video)

" Three times a week.... for two years" Sounds like a recipe for success!
A great video... I always thought that Yanna was very good... now I see she
she will (IMO) follow in the Gabby Williams ( among others ) footsteps.
Go Yanna, GO HUSKIES. Quite the team!

Reaction Score
I know how important it is for a player to score to be a real force for a team. :rolleyes:

Didi Richards never scored much.

Her career stats at Baylor:

games - 129 (98 starts)
pts/game- 6.7 ( made zero 3's in 4 years)
rb's/game - 4.1 (meh)
as/game - 4.4 (meh)

Not very impressive. And yet in a huge NCAA E8 game, she played 30 min, scored but 4 pts and yet her team was out-scored by their opponent by about 20 when she was on the bench for 10 min.

How is that possible that her team scored so much with a non-scorer on the floor and so little with that non-scorer on the bench? I mean she only had 2 boards and 2 assists in that game?

Reaction Score
Nika must improve her scoring and (perhaps more important) her free throw shooting in order for us to be the best we can be! Just because we still win against the vast majority of our opponents does not mean that her deficits in those areas will not hurt us against the top teams! Once again, no one is suggesting that she is not an asset, or that she has to score like Paige! She simply needs to be a legitimate threat so that someone must guard her!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Glad to see/hear that Ayanna has been working out hard 3X a week for 2 years. You can't tell me THAT kind of continuous "structured" training with a trainer is not going to pay dividends. As Paige quickly became worth the price of admission her freshman year, so too will Ayanna along with Azzi who already is.

During their "heyday", I wanted to see Michael Jordan and Dr. J live when they came to L.A. to play the Lakers. Tickets for those games were ALWAYS hard to get. The BIG ticket brokers always bought as many as they could get when those tickets went on sale. Not many were left for the walk up buyers at the box office. I was never disappointed when I was able to get a ticket. They WERE always worth the price of admission. :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom