Husky Practice | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Husky Practice

Reaction Score
Well this thread has died. No of to find the ignore button.
Well I was going to say that it looks like some type of media day was today. Maybe the media will be on site for practice this week to get Geno's thoughts. I know there's still a month before official action and a lot can change but I'd love to hear how the players, specifically Dorka, Aubrey, and Caroline are doing after pretty much a summer of rehab.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Has nothing to do with convenience-- just using common sense.
Speaking of common sense you may want to actually read the article because Geno actually explains what he meant by "different".
Not that she would be able to guard Aari McDonald, don’t get me wrong,” Auriemma said, “but that would give us another defender to switch up and let Aari see a different look. And we don’t have that if Nika doesn’t play or if she’s not playing at 100%.”

“It gives us an opportunity if we had Nika,” Auriemma said, “to give E a breather so she doesn’t have to play 40 minutes like she did the other night, to give Christyn a breather or give Paige a breather. … Not having Nika changes a lot of things, changes a lot of things for us.

Reaction Score
Don't put yourself in the middle of this because you weren't.
All you had to do you and BobbyJ was agree that Nika made the team better here freshman year which questions both of you being fair. I asked bobbyJ a simple question. You and him are the ones that turned this into a fight with me.

I'm rather stunned you two are fighting this. Once Geno put her in starting lineup vs GTOWN and between starts and off the bench in 16 straight games Nika either started or came off the bench before her injury she averaged 28.9 minutes, yet you two are trying to pass on that she didn’t make the team better????????? You've got to be kidding.

And your article proves she was a valuable player and makes UCONN better. Thank you for that.

Maybe that is the frustration MSGRET was feeling with Nika and it sort of was that way for the entire season. a lot of negativity and there just doesn't have to be. I mean we can't say Nika made the team better in the 2nd half of her freshman year? It has to be a fight by fellow UCONN fans to admit this easy statement and what the coach meant?

Anyway I'm done.

Reaction Score
Speaking of common sense you may want to actually read the article because Geno actually explains what he meant by "different".
Not that she would be able to guard Aari McDonald, don’t get me wrong,” Auriemma said, “but that would give us another defender to switch up and let Aari see a different look. And we don’t have that if Nika doesn’t play or if she’s not playing at 100%.”

“It gives us an opportunity if we had Nika,” Auriemma said, “to give E a breather so she doesn’t have to play 40 minutes like she did the other night, to give Christyn a breather or give Paige a breather. … Not having Nika changes a lot of things, changes a lot of things for us.
Just using common sense I didn’t mention what that sounds like to me. I guess people don’t like what Auriemma said.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
All you had to do you and BobbyJ was agree that Nika made the team better here freshman year which questions both of you being fair. I asked bobbyJ a simple question. You and him are the ones that turned this into a fight with me.

I'm rather stunned you two are fighting this. Once Geno put her in starting lineup vs GTOWN and between starts and off the bench in 16 straight games Nika either started or came off the bench before her injury she averaged 28.9 minutes, yet you two are trying to pass on that she didn’t make the team better????????? You've got to be kidding.

And your article proves she was a valuable player and makes UCONN better. Thank you for that.

Maybe that is the frustration MSGRET was feeling with Nika and it sort of was that way for the entire season. a lot of negativity and there just doesn't have to be. I mean we can't say Nika made the team better in the 2nd half of her freshman year? It has to be a fight by fellow UCONN fans to admit this easy statement and what the coach meant?

Anyway I'm done.
The issue is not Nika's value to the team, this cannot and should not be disputed. The issue is what Geno actually said because that misquote is deliberately being used to inflate Nika's value to the team and steer the conversation away from the areas of her game that need to be improved. It is really a dishonest dialogue in much the same way you are pointing out that Nika averaged 28.9 minutes per game for 16 straight games and neglecting to point point out that what made most of that possible were injuries specifically to Anna Makurat.
BTW I had long ago in a post with @diggerfoot conceded that a reasonable person could have interpreted that Geno quote as Nika makes the team better. But now when I see it being misquoted again with the words "Nika hater" attached I have become re-entrenched.

Reaction Score

Anyway I'm done.
You consider it a "fight" if someone doesn't tell you they agree with you? Seriously?

Reaction Score
Hmmm. Either it's rarely seen on the BY, or its just like what went on with Liv for 4 years. You can't have it both ways. Pick one. It seems like there's some skewed perception going on here.

Here's the ongoing motif that seems to drive the claims of hatred: "Can she be better, yes of course." But perish the thought that anyone should speculate on exactly what that 'better' might consist of, or they're haters. As this post makes clear, the true hatred of Nika comes precisely from those purporting to defend her. They issue the criticisms, and then forbid any suggestions for improvement. Why do they do this? Perhaps because they don't believe she is capable of improvement. Can you imagine a more damning criticism? I can't, and that's why I'd never make such a claim.

And then the exaggerations begin: if anyone suggests that she might improve her midrange game, or her finishing at the rim, then they must be demanding she become Kobe (or even Paige) overnight. I can't recall anyone even remotely suggesting this, and yet this is the story.

So how about a little common sense: if you think Nika doesn't need to improve her offense, then say so. But if you think she would do well to develop this aspect of her game, then stop trashing anyone who makes a suggestion. Remember, this is a fan board, and it's supposed to be about cheering on the team, celebrating their achievements, but also speculating on their prospects and offering suggestions. Stop telling other people what they get to think.
OK, I'm going to assume this as addressed to me although several of the points you bring up were never said by me.

1. Yes, I can have it both ways. "Rarely" means it has happened before, just not often. Maybe your understanding of the meaning of words is skewed here.

2. Why are you attributing this to me? First off, your statement makes zero sense and I never said anything close to that she isn't capable for improvement. I have seen posts from others (and they know who they are) that suggest she is incapable of improvement.

3. Again, why are you attributing this to me, or anyone else for that matter? I read about 99% of the BY and I have never seen anyone demanding that Nika become Kobe or Paige. So, who is exaggerating here?

4. A little common sense? How about a little reading comprehension? I never said Nika does not need to improve, in fact, just the opposite. Stop telling people what to think? How about you, Mr. Bone?

Reaction Score
I suspect that if this back and forth on Nika continues that this will end up being another locked thread and I don't believe it will be primarily due to posts by 'Nika's fan club' but rather due to the degree of vitriol in posts by some of her detractors. To be clear, there are several posters that justifiably point out Nika's past deficiencies, areas she can improve on. Many of these same posters have expressed hope that she comes back having made the needed improvements. Those that do should not fall into the pitfall of doubling down because they feel they are being labeled as 'Nika haters'. Those terms, 'Nika's fan club' and 'Nika's haters' have been inserted into this and several other threads by those that, for reasons beyond my understanding want to, make this a fight.

I have been cited, by handle, by CocoHusky within this thread and as early as freshman year as being delusional at best and at worst blinded by my love of Nika. The irony is that if you look back at my posts this summer and preseason I have said repeatedly that Nika needs to come back this season having improved her offensive game to the degree that defenses can't play off her and double team others. I have said that I believe Geno has told her that and that she has acknowledged that and further that her stated goal going into this season is to do just that.

I am a huge Nika fan, that isn't a question but I am so because of who she is for this team, which includes her ability to continue to grow her game to fill the needs of the team. To deny that her freshman year she was an intregal part of the teams success is not based in reality. Geno, inserted her into the starting lineup and kept her there until his injury. Doing so meant moving Paige to the two. In response I'm sure a rebuttal will be made that she only entered the starting lineup due to injury. We don't know that, for a fact, that was Geno's only reasoning. But she stayed in that role after Anna had recovered and when going into the Arizona game Geno said in reference to not having Nika 100%, that Aubrey nor Anna could bring what Nika brought to the team. This was a positive reference to her contributions. When Geno said about Aaliyah and Nika, that you just want those two on the floor. This was a positive reference to her contributions. When Geno said the team was different with Nika on the floor. This was a positive reference to her contributions. This past season when Geno said that Nika was the voice her teammates listened to. This was a positive reference to her contributions. To interpret these references any other way is to not consider context.

So who among us can agree that Nika had things in her offensive game that she needed to improve on this offseason? Who believes that has been her focus? Who believes she is capable of improving? I am looking forward to seeing the improvements of all our players come November and am excited about what this group can achieve together.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Wow, I just have to laugh at some of you guys' comments, because what are you all fighting about? I mentioned before on another thread that Nika is the one of the most talked about players in our program. Here we are again, and the thread has nothing to do with Nika. Nika undoubtedly does not do everything well, but who on the roster does, except Paige of course. Nika is a great defensive player, best motivational player with her attitude and voice. Instead of tearing her offence down we should be happy that we have a player with these attributes. Her offense needs attention, no question, but her job as PG is getting the ball to the kids that will be doing the bulk of our scoring, whether they are the guards or the Bigs. That is her primary job. I don't think anyone on this Board hates her, but sometimes the conversation about her seems like they do. Everyone on this team can improve something in their game, and without knowing it, by constantly talking about Nikas improvement so often just proves how valuable a piece of the puzzle we all think she is.
We have to be happy if she does her primary job and puts Azzi, Caroline, Lou, or any of the Bigs in a position to score. If her offense improves, which we all hope, that will just be gravy. As I said, lets appreciate what she does bring to the table. She is only one of eleven players on this team, and all of them have to do their part for us to raise the trophy at the end of the year. We're getting close to game day, so let's concentrate on all of the positives that this team has to offer, no matter what their position or expertise is. Enough said, Go Huskies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't think anyone on this Board hates her, but sometimes the conversation about her seems like they do.
You may have forgotten that you posted this.
Nika can't do this, Nika can't do that, how many times do some of you Nika haters have to continue to post the same crap. Some of these posts remind me of reading VolNation.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
You may have forgotten that you posted this.
So? What's your point, I'm not interested in getting in the middle of this conversation. Just wanted to make a point, and that's that.

Reaction Score
I love Nika as much as, maybe more than anyone. That’s why I dream of what she could become.

And sorry for the confusion @Skeets , I wasn’t attributing most of that to you. I only quoted the one line from something you said. It reminded me of a trend among many others.

And @Bald Huskie hs a point — we can’t stop talking about Nika because we all love her. We’re like divorced parents, determined to claim the other hates our shared child when both sides obviously love her. One parent wants to spoil the child, the other wants her to eat her vegetables, do her homework, etc.

Reaction Score
I love Nika as much as, maybe more than anyone. That’s why I dream of what she could become.

And sorry for the confusion @Skeets , I wasn’t attributing most of that to you. I only quoted the one line from something you said. It reminded me of a trend among many others.

And @Bald Husky hs a point — we can’t stop talking about Nika because we all love her. We’re like divorced parents, determined to claim the other hates our shared child when both sides obviously love her. One parent wants to spoil the child, the other wants her to eat her vegetables, do her homework, etc.
OK, no problem. I firmly resolve to sin no more.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well I was going to say that it looks like some type of media day was today. Maybe the media will be on site for practice this week to get Geno's thoughts. I know there's still a month before official action and a lot can change but I'd love to hear how the players, specifically Dorka, Aubrey, and Caroline are doing after pretty much a summer of rehab.

Adorable. These little snippets are great. I hope more is released.

Reaction Score
The star goes down and the attention turns to the replacement. Suddenly the backup is expected to transform themselves. Suddenly she is advised to start working on this or that.
There is an applied assumption that I don't like that she hasn't been working on her entire game right along. I think she has worked hard since before she arrived at Storrs.

This is one manifestation of the "how do we replace the star syndrome".

I will enjoy reading about everything the new coach "needs to start working on" when Geno finally retires. It should be a long list.

Reaction Score
Nika is on the road to Rizzotti. All she needs is a little more fearlessness and confidence. A tough, tough kid.
Go Huskies Take it to the hoop girl!

Reaction Score
OK, no problem. I firmly resolve to sin no more.
Hey, isn’t that a joke?
A frugal minister decided to save money on a church paint job by mixing some thinner with the regular paint. When the job was finished, it was clear the results were shoddy. Then the skies darkened ominously, the rain started pummeling the church, and a deep voice from above cried out “Repaint ! And thin no more!”

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The star goes down and the attention turns to the replacement. Suddenly the backup is expected to transform themselves. Suddenly she is advised to start working on this or that.
There is an applied assumption that I don't like that she hasn't been working on her entire game right along. I think she has worked hard since before she arrived at Storrs.

This is one manifestation of the "how do we replace the star syndrome".

I will enjoy reading about everything the new coach "needs to start working on" when Geno finally retires. It should be a long list.
Nah..... The advice to start working on "this and that" (being more of an offensive threat) was well before the star ( Paige) went down.

Reaction Score
Nika's expression probably had nothing to do with Janelle. She maybe is just mischievous in general. It seems that people miss a lot of nuance surrounding Nika and Geno's comments about her. A great coach at least tries to get the best from his players. Would dumping on them every minute help? I doubt it. Geno needs Nika and he needs her to be the best she can be. She looks to be in great shape. I'm all for Azzi as then PG but I think every single one of us wants Nika to be the best she can be and we all see that she contributes to team success.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom