Husky Practice | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Husky Practice

Reaction Score
We don't need Nika to replace Paige's shooting in the backcourt. We need Azzi and Caroline to do that. We need Nika to replace Paige's ball movement and keep one defender (even if it's the opponent's weakest perimeter defender) occupied so that Azzi and Caroline don't get double teamed all the time.

Reaction Score
I just love all these Nika haters, she can't do this, she can't do that, jada, jada, jada. Geno has stated many times in the past two years that the team is much better with her on the floor. So I'm going to go with the person that has led UConn with the help of CD to winning 11 NC's in lieu of listening to the whiners.

Yes Geno has insisted that Nika become more of an all around player, but stated it more because of the loss of Paige. She has also stated that she needs to improve her short range shooting for the betterment of the team, because of the loss of Paige.

I do believe that this team would not have gotten as far as they did without Nika being part of the UConn team, over the past two years.
I’m not on the same page with you, @MSGRET. I only talk about point guards and the skills they need to succeed. I don’t care for all the posts pretending Nika has these skills — that’s Nika-hating. Folks say that because they don’t believe she can improve. I believe in her.

And I think you’ve misunderstood what Geno meant when he said the team is better with Nika on the floor. This was always a trade off, since he knew the team could become flat and listless, and she brought some spark. But the cost was that we lost some offensive potential. Geno’s been very clear about this in word and deed. Benching her in the 4th quarter of big games is as clear as he can be on this topic.

Nika’s biggest fans — like me — want to see her on the floor at the end of big games. But for the last two seasons, Geno has seemed not to value her spark enough to put her in at those moments. The best team we can field would be the one with Nika — armed with new offensive skills — on the floor at the end. Short of that, I’ll be sad to see her on the bench when our best team is out there.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I just love all these Nika haters, she can't do this, she can't do that, jada, jada, jada. Geno has stated many times in the past two years that the team is much better with her on the floor. So I'm going to go with the person that has led UConn with the help of CD to winning 11 NC's in lieu of listening to the whiners.

Yes Geno has insisted that Nika become more of an all around player, but stated it more because of the loss of Paige. She has also stated that she needs to improve her short range shooting for the betterment of the team, because of the loss of Paige.

I do believe that this team would not have gotten as far as they did without Nika being part of the UConn team, over the past two years.
Fact Check:

1) Geno has never stated that UCONN is a "much better team" with Nika on the floor. That just does make sense because in addition to being the worse shooter among the regular rotation players Nika is the backup PG behind Paige so that would mean the team plays better without Paige as the PG? But I can see why you would want to interpret things that way.

2) The calls by Geno for Nika to become a better shooter began in the pre-season of Nika's Freshman year as I recently posted.
If you are referring to the most recent public calls by Geno for Nika to improve offensively those calls began in a Mike Anthony article from June 22nd 2022- see link below.

Since Paige Bueckers tore her ACL on August 3rd of 2022 Geno must have pulled an @Carnac in asking Nika to improve because of the a future "loss of Paige" ?

The need for Nika to become a better offensive player were early in her UCONN tenure, has persisted, and has NOTHING to do with Paige . Nika began her UCONN tenure by making only 1 of her first 14 shots ( 8 of 14 were missed layups). The posters and supporters of the program (which includes Geno) that are pointing this out are not doing so because they hate Nika. We are doing this because it is necessary for the team to be more successful and we will continue to do so until the improvement is made. So please stop with the name calling and research your facts more carefully.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Fact Check:

1) Geno has never stated that UCONN is a "much better team" with Nika on the floor. That just does make sense because in addition to being the worse shooter among the regular rotation players Nika is the backup PG behind Paige so that would mean the team plays better without Paige as the PG? But I can see why you would want to interpret things that way.

2) The calls by Geno for Nika to become a better shooter began in the pre-season of Nika's Freshman year as I recently posted.
If you are referring to the most recent public calls by Geno for Nika to improve offensively those calls began in a Mike Anthony article from June 22nd 2022- see link below.

Since Paige Bueckers tore her ACL on August 3rd of 2022 Geno must have pulled an @Carnac in asking Nika to improve because of the a future "loss of Paige" ?

The need for Nika to become a better offensive player were early in her UCONN tenure, has persisted, and has NOTHING to do with Paige . Nika began her UCONN tenure by making only 1 of her first 14 shots ( 8 of 14 were missed layups). The posters and supporters of the program (which includes Geno) that are pointing this out are not doing so because they hate Nika. We are doing this because it is necessary for the team to be more successful and we will continue to do so until the improvement is made. So please stop with the name calling and research your facts more carefully.
Why don't you do your own research because Geno stated more than once that UConn is a better team with Nika on the floor because of her energy and defense. Just because you don't like Nika and always put her down doesn't make your statements true.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
We don't need Nika to replace Paige's shooting in the backcourt. We need Azzi and Caroline to do that. We need Nika to replace Paige's ball movement and keep one defender (even if it's the opponent's weakest perimeter defender) occupied so that Azzi and Caroline don't get double teamed all the time.
Yes and no. That was me in the January chats screaming for Nika to shoot her open pull ups. That was me stating in the forum that I didn't think she'd shot more than 2 or 3 pull ups all year. No, she doesn't have be Paige at the 2nd level. She does however have to take the shot and make a few. As I stated in February, just the threat of a pullup frees up her 1st level shots from the arc, opens up the lane for pocket passes, post entries, kickouts, and lay ups, and prevents the defense from clogging the middle on UConn's forwards. Double teaming of UConn's other guards. Why double team a player when you can play a zone, a box and one, a diamond and one, and other more effective "junk" defenses against a star player. Ask Jewel Loyd about Geno's defensive plans against her. By the way, one of Nika greatest strengths is ball movement, so there's no real need for improvement there.

Reaction Score
Fact Check:

You just had to mess up this fan favorite storyline with facts didn't you? :p

JordyG

Reaction Score
Why don't you do your own research because Geno stated more than once that UConn is a better team with Nika on the floor because of her energy and defense. Just because you don't like Nika and always put her down doesn't make your statements true.
With all respect Sarge, I agree with the first part of your statement, not the second. @CocoHusky, as I, have been very critical of Nika, but to say either of us don't like her is a bridge too far.

Reaction Score
Different. He said different. Different does not mean the same as better.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
With all respect Sarge, I agree with the first part of your statement, not the second. @CocoHusky, as I, have been very critical of Nika, but to say either of us don't like her is a bridge too far.
I apologize, I may have gone a bridge too far, but I'm tired of people with the negative vibes about her, her defense is intense as well as her energy. She has said that her shooting needs to improve and is working on it. She may have flaws, but Geno still played her because of the stuff she brings to the team. They make it sound like she shouldn't even be on the team unless it's to warm up the bench.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I apologize, I may have gone a bridge too far, but I'm tired of people with the negative vibes about her, her defense is intense as well as her energy. She has said that her shooting needs to improve and is working on it. She may have flaws, but Geno still played her because of the stuff she brings to the team. They make it sound like she shouldn't even be on the team unless it's to warm up the bench.
I get it. But that's on them. One of the reasons I stopped was it felt like beating a dead horse. Clearly she wasn't going to suddenly become Steve Nash or Kobie with her pull up overnight, so why continue? I'll say it for the hundredth time, for this year I'd be more than please to see her consistently shoot over high screens and finish her layups. Attempting the occasional pull up is gravy for me.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I did do my research. You claim that Geno said it several times. Cite 1 place where Geno said this?
Just one, otherwise I have to assume your are making it up and you already know how much I hate liars.
Also see @BobbyJ post 233.

Reaction Score
Sarge, I'm tired too. I am perplexed why a UConn player gets so much animosity from UConn "Fans". Nika does what she does. Can she be better, yes of course, but the hatred on the BY is rarely seen. This surpasses what went on with Liv for 4 years. I said this before and I'll say it again, they should start their own thread: "Nika isn't good enough" where they could all hang out and others (such as yours truly) can easily bypass. Neither you nor I will get many thumbs up from... well, they know who they are.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sarge, I'm tired too. I am perplexed why a UConn player gets so much animosity from UConn "Fans". Nika does what she does. Can she be better, yes of course, but the hatred on the BY is rarely seen. This surpasses what went on with Liv for 4 years. I said this before and I'll say it again, they should start their own thread: "Nika isn't good enough" where they could all hang out and others (such as yours truly) can easily bypass. Neither you nor I will get many thumbs up from... well, they know who they are.
You are probably perplexed because you perceive valid critique as hate and animosity.
"They know who they are" is reminiscent of what Pat Summit once said of "perceived" UCONN recruiting violation -"they know what they did". Your perceptions are not reality and neither were Pat's.

Reaction Score
Different. He said different. Different does not mean the same as better.
I'm not going to address this past year -- but are you suggesting that UCONN was not a a better team with Nika on the floor in the 2nd half of her freshman year?

She definitely made the team better her freshmen year.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to address this past year -- but are you suggesting that UCONN was not a a better team with Nika on the floor in the 2nd half of her freshman year?

She definitely made the team better her freshmen year.
I didn’t suggest anything. I merely pointed out what Auriemma did and didn’t say. I’m not a fan of people inserting their own words to make their argument.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Well we can use logic. This is a chat board and we can express opinion on what a coach meant. He certainly meant better in this case.
Geno is pretty good with the English Language. If he meant better he would have said better. He didn't say better he said "different" TWICE.

If we had Nika 100%, we’re a different basketball team, a much different basketball team,” Auriemma said.

Reaction Score
Nika does what she does. Can she be better, yes of course, but the hatred on the BY is rarely seen. This surpasses what went on with Liv for 4 years.
Hmmm. Either it's rarely seen on the BY, or its just like what went on with Liv for 4 years. You can't have it both ways. Pick one. It seems like there's some skewed perception going on here.

Here's the ongoing motif that seems to drive the claims of hatred: "Can she be better, yes of course." But perish the thought that anyone should speculate on exactly what that 'better' might consist of, or they're haters. As this post makes clear, the true hatred of Nika comes precisely from those purporting to defend her. They issue the criticisms, and then forbid any suggestions for improvement. Why do they do this? Perhaps because they don't believe she is capable of improvement. Can you imagine a more damning criticism? I can't, and that's why I'd never make such a claim.

And then the exaggerations begin: if anyone suggests that she might improve her midrange game, or her finishing at the rim, then they must be demanding she become Kobe (or even Paige) overnight. I can't recall anyone even remotely suggesting this, and yet this is the story.

So how about a little common sense: if you think Nika doesn't need to improve her offense, then say so. But if you think she would do well to develop this aspect of her game, then stop trashing anyone who makes a suggestion. Remember, this is a fan board, and it's supposed to be about cheering on the team, celebrating their achievements, but also speculating on their prospects and offering suggestions. Stop telling other people what they get to think.

Reaction Score
Geno is pretty good with the English Language. If he meant better he would have said better. He didn't say better he said "different" TWICE.

If we had Nika 100%, we’re a different basketball team, a much different basketball team,” Auriemma said.
Pretty good with the English lanaguage- of course he is. But he is not expecting people to not use common sense when he makes a comment. When he has said he wants to beat Tenneesse's butt so bad I think we can use common sense and understand what he meant.

Same here.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Pretty good with the English lanaguage- of course he is. But he is not expecting people to not use common sense when he makes a comment. When he has said he wants to beat Tenneesse's butt so bad I think we can use common sense and understand what he meant.

Same here.
Common sense and accuracy would also demand that we don't misquote people with our own interpretations especially when the exact quote has been presented to you.

Reaction Score
Common sense and accuracy would also demand that we don't misquote people with our own interpretations especially when the exact quote has been presented to you.
We're not misquoting people. Just using common sense to understand what they meant. Again I'll use Geno saying "Beat their butts" vs Tennessee. It's not a misquote to say he meant "win decisively" in some manner.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
We're not misquoting people. Just using common sense to understand what they meant. Again I'll use Geno saying "Beat their butts" vs Tennessee. It's not a misquote to say he meant "win decisively" in some manner.

Don't put yourself in the middle of this because you weren't.

Geno has stated many times in the past two years that the team is much better with her on the floor.

Geno never said this not one single time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom