Husky History - UConn vs Gonzaga 1999 Elite Eight | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Husky History - UConn vs Gonzaga 1999 Elite Eight

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I buzzed it but didn’t shave it with a razor.

Nobody used a razor. Your "buzz" was probably with a fairly wimpy attachment.

I, and the strong among us, went full "opening of Full Metal Jacket scene" You, not so much.
With good reason, apparently. Seems like yours never grew back.

Let's not jump into the "negative changes since college" pool, shall we? :)
And, for the record, my hair is easily above average for age. Stuff it, barrister.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Yup, I always say that game took 5 years off my life.

The Hall three that closed it to one with 35 seconds left nearly killed me.

In retrospect, a hugely consequential game for the sport. That game established Gonzaga and launched UConn.

Reaction Score
The Hall three that closed it to one with 35 seconds left nearly killed me.

In retrospect, a hugely consequential game for the sport. That game established Gonzaga and launched UConn.
I remember before 1999 my friends at my university and others who knew I was a big UConn fan would never give the respect to UConn. I remember one Kentucky fan saying "UConn is a good Big East school that's it. They are not a big time national powerhouse-they don't get it done during the Big Dance". Now 24 years later, that tune has completely changed and UConn is now entered the blue blood club as a new blood. Other fan bases hate UConn for how good they are. Just read Friar Talk, Devils Den, Villanova SB Nation, Blue Jay Underground especially in the week leading up to the Final Four where they all were resigned to the undesirable and inevitable result, to them, of UConn winning a fifth national championship.

Gonzaga got on the big stage got national attention in 1999 as the loveable Cinderella. But in 2000 when they beat #2 seed St. John's as the #10 seed and got to the Sweet 16 2 years in a row that really got fans to notice Gonzaga and not dismiss them as a one hit wonder or a flash in the pan. Conversely, St. John's who had a great chance to make the Final Four in 1999 and in 2000 (field was weak this year) hasn't come close to sniffing relevancy since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom