Huskies of honor | The Boneyard

Huskies of honor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
When the season is over does Faris' name go on the wall?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Sadly, at the moment she does not meet any of the standards for the wall that I know of existing.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
There is only one standard, which is to be a first-team AA. I just don't see that happening. She will be a legend, however.
That's what I thought but I wasn't sure if there was something I had missed.

Reaction Score
Will Tiffany be on the wall for her 3rd team recognition?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
She will go up with her NC team(s) but not alone. There are a number of GREAT Uconn players who have not made it up there (including a certain former asst coach) so I can't feel too bad. But boy has she had an impressive Uconn career.
I am really happy to see her so confident (and sucessful) in shooting this year and there is an outside shot for her. I think she could reasonably average 8 pts, 5 rbs, 4 assts, 2 steals on an NC champ team. If it weren't for all the other candidates on the same team I think she would get some serious consideration for AA status.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
She will go up with her NC team(s) but not alone. There are a number of GREAT Uconn players who have not made it up there (including a certain former asst coach) so I can't feel too bad. But boy has she had an impressive Uconn career.
I am really happy to see her so confident (and sucessful) in shooting this year and there is an outside shot for her. I think she could reasonably average 8 pts, 5 rbs, 4 assts, 2 steals on an NC champ team. If it weren't for all the other candidates on the same team I think she would get some serious consideration for AA status.
True.

Reaction Score
When the season is over does Faris' name go on the wall?

How could it not. Work ethic and heart do not show up in the box score, but those are the traits that never fail you. Without question, Kelly's name goes up on the wall.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
How could it not. Work ethic and heart do not show up in the box score, but those are the traits that never fail you. Without question, Kelly's name goes up on the wall.
Except work ethic and heart aren't the standard by which going up on the wall is determined.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Except work ethic and heart aren't the standard by which going up on the wall is determined.
I agree that the cards are not in her favor by the current "accepted" standards. However, everyone treats these standards as if they are in some legal document or that they have been chiseled on a tablet somewhere. If Geno wanted to change the standard tomorrow, I think he could.
Someday, we will likely see the standard(s) modified as things evolve in the program. Who knows, maybe sooner than later. Maybe not for a long time. But whenever, it won't require studies, committees, focus groups and a lot of votes to do so. It will just require that special case that makes overwhelming sense.

Reaction Score
If those were the standard, there would be a lot of numbers on that wall. And they all get that.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
My intention when I started this topic was to point out that Faris (at least IMO) has been the most valuable player on the team since Moore left. I suspect Auriemma feels the same way. Yet she'll get no lasting recognition simply because the "standard" depends on recognition by persons outside of the UConn family that don't have a clue about Faris.

Maybe we could start a Faris on the wall petition and why is there no "only half kidding icon?"

Reaction Score
It's not the work ethic and heart that qualifies Kelly for the wall. It's the on-the-court results of these traits that makes her a candidate. There are too many important aspects of basketball that don't appear in the box score because they are difficult to quantify, not because they are unimportant for success. Being first team AA is to some degree a popularity contest determined by individuals who don't see Uconn day in day out. I say she belongs on the wall because she has been as important to Uconn as almost any past player.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Good point by Biff re: the standards not being set in stone. I'm not sure if Geno would ask to put her name up on the wall, but count me among those feeling she is deserving. She's been a joy to watch for 3.125 years now and I know all UCONN fans will miss her when she graduates. BUT we do have one more season to marvel at all she does!!!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I think they kind of do have it set in stone across both the men's and women's programs, and it's to prevent something of a slippery slope. If Kelly, why not Tiff? Why not Jamelle? And so on.

So far, Bria has guaranteed her spot on the wall, and I am pretty confident KML and Breanna will. Stef has a shot. If Kelly can do some of the things he did at the end of regulation against ND in the national semis, and do it nationally televised games? Maybe she'll get some of the national recognition she's gotten locally for years. But if that doesn't happen, it is pretty set in stone...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I agree, Alex, I didn't think that Geno alone set the standard.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I think they kind of do have it set in stone across both the men's and women's programs, and it's to prevent something of a slippery slope. If Kelly, why not Tiff? Why not Jamelle? And so on.

So far, Bria has guaranteed her spot on the wall, and I am pretty confident KML and Breanna will. Stef has a shot. If Kelly can do some of the things he did at the end of regulation against ND in the national semis, and do it nationally televised games? Maybe she'll get some of the national recognition she's gotten locally for years. But if that doesn't happen, it is pretty set in stone...

Well there you go. It is set in stone? A differing set of stones maybe. You do know that the men's honorees have no such AA requirement as the Women currently have? Why is Tony Hanson on the wall? Because he was drafted by the Jazz (although he didn't make the team)

Actually I am not sure what the criteria is for the Men but it's likely somewhere on that "slippery slope" you describe. Fact is the wall of honor is not an All American wall, it is a wall of honor and that honor can be whatever one decides. Does that make it vague and slippery? Sure if you want it to be. But I don't know that the men's team fan's are upset over honoring Tony or Walt Dropo because they were not All Americans. (Well I'm sure that some might be but I digress) But these guys are honored because someone felt that they were significant contributors to the team while they were playing.

I'm not arguing or lobbying for a change in the Women's criteria. I'm just saying that the selection isn't as black and white as some make it to be. If someone comes along that the people in position feel should be honored, there is no real reason it can't happen, All American or not.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Not set in stone, not dependant on the men's criteria, and not going to be determined by a popularity vote among fans.
But ... the first team AA criteria does make it much easier on Geno who has the last say. It has resulted in a manageable number of honorees, there is no one on the wall that does not belong, and there is no player not on the wall that you would select at the expense of anyone already there.
If the criteria does change, while I love Kelly, I think there are other Geno favorites from earlier years that would go on the wall before her. Jamelle for example had a hand in more NCs as a player and asst. coach than any other Uconn player.
(The first non-AA person on that wall will be CD by the way)

Reaction Score
Guess we'll have to wait until the season ends. If Kelly continues to shoot field goals at 73%, she's a lock.

Reaction Score
The problem arises because we get so many very talented and
hard working kids to play at UConn - if you don't draw a line
somewhere, then you run into a slippery slope problem of the
sort that Alex mentions and you head toward the undesirable
prospect of having the entirety of Gampel Pavilion tiled over
with Husky of Honor plaques.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
While Kelly might never make "the wall", I have no doubt Geno and CD will ensure her legacy lasts forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom