Huskies of Honor question | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Huskies of Honor question

Reaction Score
You gonna put Drummond in the HoH?

I would consider NBA success and bringing respect to the program that way as a component of one's case for inclusion, but that shouldn't be sufficient on its own.
I dont think the 20k is an automatic in...just that it triggers inclusion in the thought process. I'd be OK with that. I would consider Drummond, but if I were the vote, I would say no. But no reason not to include his name in the discussion.
At least that's what I read when I saw that criteria list

Reaction Score
I think Adama’s play and the championship are a huge aspect. But also, his importance following an era of UConn purgatory should be taken into consideration. Not sure how to quantify it, but I would definitely have him in HoH.
If the bridge from purgatory is big then the vital question comes up. He’s top 10 in a lot of categories and top 5 in some others.

Reaction Score
You gonna put Drummond in the HoH?

I would consider NBA success and bringing respect to the program that way as a component of one's case for inclusion, but that shouldn't be sufficient on its own.
Yeah I think? He was All-NBA and multiple time All-Star that played in the league for 12+ seasons. That should probably be good enough for HoH, IMO.

One and dones are pretty difficult to make HoH without relying heavily on NBA stuff, and I do think we should place one and dones that earn it based on pro careers in (otherwise we'll look pretty silly if in the future some of our best pros aren't in the HoH, but if that's the route someone wanted to take HoH I'd understand). How many Huskies have been All-NBA in their careers? I'll tell you. Out of our 40 NBA players, 3 have been All-NBA including Drummond (Ray, Kemba, Drummond). Ben and Emeka won NBA awards (6th man and ROTY) and Cliffy was All-Defense twice, but none were ever actually on the All-NBA teams.

Ray, Caron, Rip, Kemba, and Drummond are our only multi All-Stars.

The 8 guys with 20k NBA minutes:
Ray
Cliffy
Rudy
Rip
Caron
Donyell
Kemba
Drummond
(Okafor right there at 19k).

The other 7 are all in HoH. Pretty much any way you slice it, he's one of our 10 best NBA players and has a good argument for top 5.

Reaction Score
Yeah I think? He was All-NBA and multiple time All-Star that played in the league for 12+ seasons. That should probably be good enough for HoH, IMO.

One and dones are pretty difficult to make HoH without relying heavily on NBA stuff, and I do think we should place one and dones that earn it based on pro careers in (otherwise we'll look pretty silly if in the future some of our best pros aren't in the HoH, but if that's the route someone wanted to take HoH I'd understand). How many Huskies have been All-NBA in their careers? I'll tell you. Out of our 40 NBA players, 3 have been All-NBA including Drummond (Ray, Kemba, Drummond). Ben and Emeka won NBA awards (6th man and ROTY) and Cliffy was All-Defense twice, but none were ever actually on the All-NBA teams.

Ray
Cliffy
Rudy
Rip
Caron
Donyell
Kemba
Drummond

The other 7 are all in HoH. Pretty much any way you slice it, he's one of our 10 best NBA players and has a good argument for top 5.
The other 7 accomplished a bunch at UConn. I love Drummond but he doesn't belong.

Reaction Score
AJ Price
Price should maybe get a look and should get a look before Jackson and the other names being floated around but not before Hasheem. I only named those players because they won national titles and that seemed to be the criteria for the poster I was responding to.

The biggest omission is Hasheem (Gordon doesn't count because of off the court.) Hasheem was Big East player of the year, 2 time national defensive player of the year, 2nd team All-American and he went to a final 4.

Reaction Score
The other 7 accomplished a bunch at UConn. I love Drummond but he doesn't belong.
The other 7 all stayed multiple years at UConn, with all but Caron and Rudy being 3+ years. Are you going to only put 1 and dones in if they make All American team as 18 or 19 year old freshmen?

My opinion as stated is:
One and dones are pretty difficult to make HoH without relying heavily on NBA stuff, and I do think we should place one and dones that earn it based on pro careers in (otherwise we'll look pretty silly if in the future some of our best pros aren't in the HoH, but if that's the route someone wanted to take HoH I'd understand).

Price should maybe get a look and should get a look before Jackson and the other names being floated around but not before Hasheem. I only named those players because they won national titles and that seemed to be the criteria for the poster I was responding to.

The biggest omission is Hasheem (Gordon doesn't count because of off the court.) Hasheem was Big East player of the year, 2 time national defensive player of the year, 2nd team All-American and he went to a final 4.
Price being key player on final four team (earned regional MOP) and Hash with conference POTY should be in IMO, they fit my proposed criteria.

Reaction Score
The other 7 all stayed multiple years at UConn, with all but Caron and Rudy being 3+ years. Are you going to only put 1 and dones in if they make All American team as 18 or 19 year old freshmen?

My opinion as stated is:

Price being key player on final four team (earned regional MOP) and Hash with conference POTY should be in IMO, they fit my proposed criteria.
To your first question, no. The one and dones should have some sort of impressive accomplishments in their one season though. Drummond's team had a losing record in conference and they got smoked in the first round of the NCAA's, Drummond had 2 points. He wasn't even conference freshman of the year.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
To your first question, no. The one and dones should have some sort of impressive accomplishments in their one season though. Drummond's team had a losing record in conference and they got smoked in the first round of the NCAA's, Drummond had 2 points. He wasn't even conference freshman of the year.

I like Drummond and think he took a ton of undue grief during his one year (all while nearly avg a double double in BE play) but there's not a good argument for him to be included here.

He's honored in the training facility with his picture on the wall as a lotto pick which feels about right.

Reaction Score

Ray
Cliffy
Rudy
Rip
Caron
Donyell
Kemba
Drummond

He did nothing for UConn when he was here and just left cold turkey.

Reaction Score
Adama Sanogo, no question.

Jordan Hawkins had a monster sophomore year and won a title. In.

Ricky Moore isn't on that wall. Andre Jackson has some work to do.

Reaction Score
I think it's great that Drummond choose to play here. But neither he or the team accomplished very much. Drummond does have a banner in the Werth as a lottery pick. That's appropriate. But he really did nothing to secure a Huskies of Honor banner.

Reaction Score
Rudy was a first team All American. I believe that is why he is up there. I don't know why people always dismiss that he was.
That is known as recency bias.

Scott Burrell is arguable the greatest athlete to ever attend UConn.
Rudy Gay was a first team All American and one of the four Wooden Award finalists.

Wooden award finalist is impressive. However, do you know what’s more impressive?

Everything Jackson, Sanogo and Hawkins accomplished this year.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Sanogo is going up on the Gampel wall, I don’t think there is much of a question about that. I don’t think anyone else on the 2023 title team gets up there. I think it’s very unlikely Andre gets up there. That doesn’t take away from how important he is to the championship run and this program overall.

For Sanogo, it goes beyond the individual on-the-court accolades, and how invincible he was in the tournament to bring us a national championship.
He’s a unique person in that he is as high a character human being as you can ask for.
His work and representation of UConn off the court (helping build schools in Mali, especially) puts him over the top for consideration for something like the Huskies of Honor, imo.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Hash belongs.

Totally agree.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I like Boatright and he was at worst 2B on a title team (if you want to put Daniels as 2A) but there are probably 10 guys I'd put ahead of him as a Husky of honor.
I’m not sure we win the 2014 Natty without Boats lockdown defense.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I’m not sure we win the 2014 Natty without Boats lockdown defense.

No argument there. Not that I blame him entirely, but his one season as "the guy" ended with an NIT flameout. Doesn't take away his importance to the title, but that would have to weigh into my argument against his inclusion.

Reaction Score
Wooden award finalist is impressive. However, do you know what’s more impressive?

Everything Jackson, Sanogo and Hawkins accomplished this year.

Nope. That is just silly. Jackson and Hawkins didn't do anything that a bunch of other Huskies haven't done. If we put every contributor to a NC on the wall there would be another 25 guys on that wall. Put them on but not Kevin Freeman or Ricky Moore or Edmund Sanders, all huge pieces of a Natty. But them on but not Ben Gordon or Denham Brown or Josh Boone or Rashad Anderson.

They did things just as impressive as Jackson and Hawkins. Maybe you didn't see it. It counts every bit as much. Jackson and Hawkings didn't set UConn records like Art Quimby or Chris Smith. I could go on and on but you should be getting the point by now. It's nothing against either of the two Huskies you mentioned. But including them would diminsih the accomplishments of those who earned their preeminent places in UConn history.

The Huskies of Honor is basically a Hall of Fame. The greatest among the great. Nothing personal but the only guy on this year's team that had the impact of an Okafor or Hamilton was Sanogo. Jackson may have his day. But believe it or not almost every Huskies team has had a version of Hawkins. Nothing against those guys but the Huskies of Honor is -and should be- a very high bar.

Reaction Score
Put them up there, but don't retire their numbers. Retiring numbers is the stupidest thing in sports. Especially in basketball where there are a limited number of numbers available anyway.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Hasheem and Ben are the next 2, but Ben we understand the current situation. Adama should merit inclusion by his objective accomplishments.

Drummond would definitely merit consideration, objectively.

Not to be "that" fan, but a program with less high level success would absolutely consider a top ranked recruit, all big-east frosh, lottery pick after 1 year with multiple NBA accolades to be worthy. He wasn't a monster his 1 season and we've had so many other great and winning players, it's tough to include him.
But his accomplishments would normally put him in the convo.

Reaction Score
I think Sanogo will be up there. He is the face of the championship team and the Hurley era. His ncaa tournament stats were excellent. Big east first team all conference two times. In three years he accumulated 1268 points, 665 rebounds and 108 blocks (in only like 90 games..shortened season his freshman year). They just need a photo of him in an nba jersey.
I vote for Sanogo, no question at all!

Reaction Score
Nope. That is just silly. Jackson and Hawkins didn't do anything that a bunch of other Huskies haven't done. If we put every contributor to a NC on the wall there would be another 25 guys on that wall. Put them on but not Kevin Freeman or Ricky Moore or Edmund Sanders, all huge pieces of a Natty. But them on but not Ben Gordon or Denham Brown or Josh Boone or Rashad Anderson.

They did things just as impressive as Jackson and Hawkins. Maybe you didn't see it. It counts every bit as much. Jackson and Hawkings didn't set UConn records like Art Quimby or Chris Smith. I could go on and on but you should be getting the point by now. It's nothing against either of the two Huskies you mentioned. But including them would diminsih the accomplishments of those who earned their preeminent places in UConn history.

The Huskies of Honor is basically a Hall of Fame. The greatest among the great. Nothing personal but the only guy on this year's team that had the impact of an Okafor or Hamilton was Sanogo. Jackson may have his day. But believe it or not almost every Huskies team has had a version of Hawkins. Nothing against those guys but the Huskies of Honor is -and should be- a very high bar.

“Jackson and Hawkins didn’t do anything that a bunch of other huskies haven’t done”

Since we win so many titles let’s just omit that accomplishment from the Husky of Honor and stick with the guys who don’t win but have better individual stats…good post Palatine.

Reaction Score
Hasheem Thabeet, Ben Gordon, Sanogo are no brainers imo. Most borderline guy for me is Boatright. Wouldn't be offended if guys like Hawkins and Lamb made it but don't think they should make it based on who is currently there. Drummond plays another 7 years in the NBA and he might make it off those merits and I wouldn't be offended.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom